ebr
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post

Does anyone have a 82 that works or does the LFE issue affect every unit?

[Disclaimer: I don't have an 82, I have an 84 but I think it has the same set of issues]

As far as I know all of these units have the same problems. However, here's the thing - I see a whole bunch of people whining about this and returning their units etc. I've had my 84 for 8 months and absolutely love it. As far as I know there are two main issues:

1) Problems when hooking to a DVI-only equipped display.

2) Lack of the standard +10db boost to the LFE channel when sending multi-channel PCM to the receiver.

So, if you have a DVI display I understand this could be a big frustration. But, also as far as I know, you are very likely to have issues with any HDMI->DVI connection through any middle piece of equipment.

But, if you don't have a DVI display (can use either component or, preferably, HDMI) I don't really see the reason to throw this baby out with the bathwater. I have an HD-A1 and was one of the early ones to discover the LFE issue. But it is such a limited issue in that it only effects me if I have my player decode and send PCM. I only do this for DD+ or TrueHD so this is only about 10% of my viewing and, I have (admittedly only partially) corrected the issue by setting up a separate MCACC memory for these sources.

So, if you are considering one of these units, please understand the limited nature of these issues before deciding the whole thing is a POS.

[step off soapbox]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1630 Old 02-23-2007, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I spoke again with Tim at Norman Electronics here in Atlanta, GA. He said that the information i was given earlier in the week that the 82s required a firmware update AND board swap was not correct (old info from the Pioneer technicians sight apparently pertaining to the 72TXv/74TXvi). He also informed me that the cable and software to perform the update were on their way from Pioneer and that they would be THE service location for the southeast US.

post #723 of 1630 Old 02-23-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

I spoke again with Tim at Norman Electronics here in Atlanta, GA. He said that the information i was given earlier in the week that the 82s required a firmware update AND board swap was not correct (old info from the Pioneer technicians sight apparently pertaining to the 72TXv/74TXvi). He also informed me that the cable and software to perform the update were on their way from Pioneer and that they would be THE service location for the southeast US.

The only one? I guess the other 25 are located in California. Seriously with 25 or 26 sites being able to do them, they could easily have placed them through the US so that most would be with a 3 or 4 hour driving distance at most.

The guy that was supposed to do mine said that Pioneer knows where the information came from and were kind of ticked off that it leaked out. However that just shows the limitation of their product. Time to redesign it so that you don't need 1920 technology in order to perform updates.
post #724 of 1630 Old 02-23-2007, 09:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt/E View Post

I just picked up the 82 not even 12 hours ago, I brought it home and set it up and started fine tuning a few of the sound settings to my liking and had some music playing very quietly...I went into another room for a couple of minutes and when I came back to my living room I saw that the 82 had shut off and the HDMI light was flashing on the front panel...I tried to turn the power back on but nothing happened and the light kept flashing, same thing happened after unplugging it and then plugging it back in...power won't turn on at all and HDMI flashes. I looked through the troubleshooting section in the manual but there's no symptoms like this listed in there, also tried to turn the safety feature on but no luck there either...anyone have any suggestions that might help me out before I go and exchange it???

Thanks;

Matt.

Quoting my original post from the previous page...I could not get the unit to work at all again, HDMI would just keep flashing on the screen, power wouldn't turn on, nothing...I took it back to the place I got it and they tried it out too and it didn't work for them either so they just gave me another one...new one works great, hopefully it lasts alot longer than a few hours this time.

Samsung 46" LCD

Samsung BD-F5700

WD TV Live
Pioneer ELITE VSX-82TSX

NAD 2400 Power Envelope
Klipsch RF-82's
Klipsch RC-52
Klipsch RS-42's
Klipsch RW-12d

post #725 of 1630 Old 02-24-2007, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Even after the HDMI update, I still get more bass out of the Optical vs PCM HDMI.

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

post #726 of 1630 Old 02-24-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post

Even after the HDMI update, I still get more bass out of the Optical vs PCM HDMI.

Wouldn't this happen with any receiver using HDMI connection and multi-channel PCM? I'm looking at the Pioneer VSX-81 & 82 and the Denon 2807 and I think all (as well as all others) experience this issue.

I did read that the Pioneer 82/82 (page 54) has a way to deal with this over the analog inputs.
post #727 of 1630 Old 02-24-2007, 08:28 AM

I am no longer a VSX82 owner! Just got fed up with the lack of support Pioneer provides for the firmware upgrade. I told the sales people at Best Buy that if they would send it out for the upgrade and it worked, call me. I'd probably buy it back. It's a great receiver with lousy support, but I would take it if the problem is resolved! BB has assured me that Pioneer support is reliable. We'll see.
post #728 of 1630 Old 02-24-2007, 08:39 AM

so without reading through all the posts with this "issue" what exactly is the problem with the 82...?

did i buy a turd...? i haven't even hooked mine up yet, will be getting around to doing so in about 2-3 weeks... should i return it for something else... i was going to buy the Denon 2807, but got a nice deal on the 82 at Tweeter...
post #729 of 1630 Old 02-24-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

Wouldn't this happen with any receiver using HDMI connection and multi-channel PCM? I'm looking at the Pioneer VSX-81 & 82 and the Denon 2807 and I think all (as well as all others) experience this issue.

I did read that the Pioneer 82/82 (page 54) has a way to deal with this over the analog inputs.

Really? But I thought the update was supposed to boost the PCM HDMI by +10db.....

post #730 of 1630 Old 02-24-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The firmware update is "supposed" to fix it via HDMI, but there doesn't seem to be a concensus as to whether it fixed it or not. Probably because there are not a lot of people that have had it done yet.
post #731 of 1630 Old 02-26-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rodriguez View Post

I'm thinking about purchasing the Pioneer 82txs, only because of it's scaling feature, I want to get the most out of my hdtv, it doesn't make any sense spending all this money on an hdtv, and only having ten hd channels, I want to be able to turn on my set and not worry about 480i channels, it would be nice to have all my sd channels in either 720 or 1080i. It's getting to the point where I'm even thinking about getting a separate video processor to do the upscaling. Can someone get back to me on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

FWIW -- I'm using the 82 scaler soley to upscale 480i to 1080i which drives my XBR CRT DVI-D input. My 480i sources are VHS/SVHS, LD, and SD DVD. I get an excellent picture with all 480i feeds.
post #732 of 1630 Old 02-26-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Just to let everyone know. I have the H1.004 firmware with the +10 Bass trick, and I'm one very happy guy. I love this reciever.

post #733 of 1630 Old 02-26-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post

Just to let everyone know. I have the H1.004 firmware with the +10 Bass trick, and I'm one very happy guy. I love this reciever.

What do you mean -- "the +10 Bass trick"? Are you referring to the MCACC profile adjustment for the LFE channel?
post #734 of 1630 Old 02-26-2007, 12:50 PM

So I'm having some trouble sourcing this receiver.

Is this because of the firmware update?

Anyone know if Pioneer will (or already have) ship newer units anytime soon?

Seems like none of Pioneer's authorized online retailers have the 82.

Anyone know where to get one? (other than Magnolia)
post #735 of 1630 Old 02-26-2007, 12:52 PM

Do any of the non-Elite models have the LFE problem?
post #736 of 1630 Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

What do you mean -- "the +10 Bass trick"? Are you referring to the MCACC profile adjustment for the LFE channel?

No he is referring to the +10 boost to the Analog inputs trick.

Hold video select and power button while receiver is off.
post #737 of 1630 Old 02-26-2007, 04:21 PM

Hi Everyone, I'm thinking of picking up a VSX-82TXS. A big reason is the receiver's ability to scale 480i SD content to 1080i. Right now SD content looks horrible. I'm wondering if anyone has a setup similar to what I have. I've read a lot about scaling and contrast issues. If possilble, I'd like to know what I can expect before I spend all the money. My setup is:
TV: Westinghouse LVM-47W1
Cable Box: Motorola DCT6250 (DVI Out)

The Motorola box is set to output all HD content at 1080i, annd has the ability to output all SD content at 480i or 480P. My understanding is that it will be better to output SD content a 480i, so the receiver won't have to deinterlace the signal.
I would like to send the TV signal out from the cable box via DVI to HDMI, and then send the scaled image from the VSX-82TXS to by Westinhouse via HDMI to HDMI. If anyone has attempted anything similar, I'd be really grateful for any advice you might have. Thanks for reading!
post #738 of 1630 Old 02-28-2007, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is 84 worth the upgrade from 82?

I only need 3 HDMI inputs.
I don't necessarily need an iLink port since I don't have anything with iLink (except my TV, but that is not meant for this).
I don't necessarily need a USB port unless it can be used for firmware upgrades
I don't need a second remote control. I already have a harmony.
I think the 82 might be powerful enough in my basement and my Klipsch are pretty efficient

The only other difference between the two receivers is the chassis transformer stabilizer. What is this? The 84 has it, the 82 does not. Other than the above differences, the 82 and the 84 are the same I believe. So, should I still go for the 84 or is 82 good enough.
post #739 of 1630 Old 02-28-2007, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I honestly can't much reason to go w/ the 84 unless you had 4 HDMI sources (which I don't know why anyone would unless it were HD-DVD, BluRay Player, PS3, and Cable/Sat/HTPC). The 82 is PLENTY powerful, especially w/ efficient speakers like your Klipsch. The other features are really ancillary. The 82 is not lacking in build quality either regardless of the chassis difference.

post #740 of 1630 Old 02-28-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulu_1 View Post

Thrang posted this on the VSX-84TXSi thread regarding the way these receivers handle LFE from a LPCM source.

Since it looks like we're all (8x series Elite owners) in the same boat, we all need to make Pioneer aware of the problem... Pioneer Customer Support 1-800-421-1404

There is a firmware update for the 82 and 84 series of elite receivers. I dropped my 82 off at Professional vidieo engineering in Concord CA for the update. From what I read there is an lfe issue over hdmi. the lfe signal does not get the required 10 db bost over hdmi. I will be receiving my 82 back tomorrow.I will post my findings.........

As for the 84 receivers I think there was a video issue that resulted in dark video quality when the scaler was used. The phone number for the Concord Pioneer service is 925 8271860. When i get mt receiver back I will give you all the firmware version information. My 82 was built in Sept 2006
post #741 of 1630 Old 03-01-2007, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Is 84 worth the upgrade from 82?

84 or is 82 good enough.

Same reasoning as Stephan, the difference I saved went on a good pair of speakers.

Neil
post #742 of 1630 Old 03-01-2007, 06:31 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien1964 View Post

...From what I read there is an lfe issue over hdmi. the lfe signal does not get the required 10 db bost over hdmi. I will be receiving my 82 back tomorrow.I will post my findings.........

Just to clarify this - this is only an issue if you are sending multi-channel PCM data via HDMI by decoding the source in the player. If you send normal DD/DTS bitstream over HDMI it is processed exactly like coax/optical - including the required LFE boost.

So, this is only a problem if you are trying to decode the new-gen codecs (DD+/TrueHD) in a player.
post #743 of 1630 Old 03-01-2007, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Just to clarify this - this is only an issue if you are sending multi-channel PCM data via HDMI by decoding the source in the player. If you send normal DD/DTS bitstream over HDMI it is processed exactly like coax/optical - including the required LFE boost.

So, this is only a problem if you are trying to decode the new-gen codecs (DD+/TrueHD) in a player.

In addition to the new gen codecs, add the DVD-Audio and SACD decoding also. I believe PS3 does the SACD decoding on board and sends out multi channel PCM. Does music use LFE or is this a movie specific thing?
post #744 of 1630 Old 03-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Does this rx have any problems with Motorola hdtv cable boxes via hdmi?
Also does it have any problems with any blue ray or hddvd player via hdmi?

One big question, can it accept pc sound card analog output ( three plugs, one does double duty as sub and center)
post #745 of 1630 Old 03-01-2007, 08:39 AM

Hello all...I'm totally new to the A/V scene, so much so that I feel a little weird posting to a site with people who really know their stuff. The terminology alone you guys use is way above my head. So forgive the newbie for stupid questions
I just purchased the 82 two days ago (before finding this site/thread) and get the general census that their are some issues with the 82. Mind you, I have not hooked the 82 up to test for these issues myself yet. Given what everyone has said about these issues...here is what I'm planning on doing...Please give me your opinions.
I have a 50"panny plasma with one HDMI input, a Denon dvd player with prog. scan and one HDMI output, a Comcast DVR with one HDMI output and an Xbox360 with the supplied HD cables.
I'm thinking of thinking of running the dvr and dvd into the 82 via HDMI and out to the tv via HDMI. Then, hooking up the Xbox directly to the tv via the supplied HD cables and use an optical audio for the Xbox to the 82. Does this sound like a good setup for the PQ, scaling/converting issues mentioned throughout this thread?
PS. Stupid question time: By hooking up the Xbox as detailed above, can I use my speakers connected to the 82 for the sound? And do I need to run opt. audio with my dvr and dvd if I'm using HDMI cables?
Thanks so much guys.
post #746 of 1630 Old 03-01-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco View Post

Does this rx have any problems with Motorola hdtv cable boxes via hdmi?
Also does it have any problems with any blue ray or hddvd player via hdmi?

One big question, can it accept pc sound card analog output ( three plugs, one does double duty as sub and center)

I don't have this receiver and so cannot answer your first two questions. However, for the PC sound card question, I do have the answer. First of all, it is preferable to get a sound card that has a digital audio output so that the DACs in the receiver could be used. However, if you want to use your existing sound card that has only 3 outputs, keep in mind that each of these outputs contain two sound channels (they are stereo mini ports). So, you actually have 6 channels. Most probably, they have left and right mains on one, left and right rears on one, and the center and sub on one. You need three cables that have a stereo mini plug on one end and two RCA connectors on the other side. Just hook up all six of the RCAs to the 8-channel analog input on the receiver (don't use the surround backs).

These cables can be found cheap at http://www.monoprice.com. They can also be found in local CE stores.
post #747 of 1630 Old 03-01-2007, 08:56 AM

Trying again.

Anyone know where to pick an 82 up? (any sponsors actually have this one?)

I can only find it @ Vann's for MSRP.

Also, based on Lucien1964's post about a firmware flash. Is this why they don't seem to be available very many places? (they are flashing all new units)
post #748 of 1630 Old 03-01-2007, 11:23 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05BSZHP View Post

Trying again.

Anyone know where to pick an 82 up? (any sponsors actually have this one?)

I can only find it @ Vann's for MSRP.

Also, based on Lucien1964's post about a firmware flash. Is this why they don't seem to be available very many places? (they are flashing all new units)

Pioneer won't allow dealers to sell Elite products online. That is why it is harder to find. It can be found if you look but warranty may not apply as it won't be an authorized sale.
post #749 of 1630 Old 03-01-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried any Best Buy stores with Magnolia section in them.
post #750 of 1630 Old 03-01-2007, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Pioneer won't allow dealers to sell Elite products online. That is why it is harder to find. It can be found if you look but warranty may not apply as it won't be an authorized sale.

There's nothing preventing anyone from finding an authorized dealer on Pioneer's brick-and-mortar list, and ordering from them by phone, though. That allows for some price comparison shopping at least.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page