Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 1630 Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aark1996 View Post

I have a problem I am sure is not a big deal, but I cannot figure it out. I want to play DVD audio through multi channel input, but I want the video to my monitor to come over hdmi. Is this possible? or do i have to use another form of video input from my dvd audio player?

The answer is maybe. First off will your DVD player output audio on the multi channel outputs and the video on HDMI? If so, then there are two ways this can be accomplished. Both of them require making multiple selections instead of just changing one input on the 82TXS.

1) Connect the HDMI to your TV instead of your 82TXS.

2) Select Multi-Channel in on the 82TXS and then use the Video Select to select a different video input.

Virtual reality is better then real reality - David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1630 Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

I have an HDDVD player and a vsx-82 with optical out. Are you saying I can enjoy "HD audio" with this setup, without using HDMI, etc?

No. If you use an optical out the HD audio is converted to Dolby Digital. To enjoy HD Audio with the 82TXS you have to output PCM format and use an HDMI cable.

post #1503 of 1630 Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabhome View Post

No. If you use an optical out the HD audio is converted to Dolby Digital. To enjoy HD Audio with the 82TXS you have to output PCM format and use an HDMI cable.

I'll modify that statement slightly. Depending on your HD-DVD player, you might get better audio than a SDDVD. If you have an A1 or A2 (which convert to DTS instead of DD) then you should get a 1.5mbs DTS version of the hi-rez tracks. While this will not be the true lossless track, it will be a pretty high-quality one. Better than most any SD-DVD.
post #1504 of 1630 Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

No, the Pioneer VSX-82TSX does not support Dolby True HD. However, it will handle 7.1 PCM. There is one potential problem with PCM. If your receiver was made before Jan '07 then it may need a firmware upgrade to support +10db on the .1 channel.

Mine is upgraded. I don't have a Blue ray, only HDDVD. Are there any advanced audio formats with HDDVD?

thx

bob
post #1505 of 1630 Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

I'll modify that statement slightly. Depending on your HD-DVD player, you might get better audio than a SDDVD. If you have an A1 or A2 (which convert to DTS instead of DD) then you should get a 1.5mbs DTS version of the hi-rez tracks. While this will not be the true lossless track, it will be a pretty high-quality one. Better than most any SD-DVD.

A30 if that helps.

thx

bob
post #1506 of 1630 Old 01-22-2009, 04:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Thanks dabhome...will let my buddy know this.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #1507 of 1630 Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A30 if that helps.

thx

bob

If I remember right, the A30 converts to 640kDD so no, you won't get anything special via optical.
post #1508 of 1630 Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I remember right, the A30 converts to 640kDD so no, you won't get anything special via optical.

Thanks

OK, HDMI hooked up, hdmi audio out to "pcm"

King Kong is DD "+". What is the "+"? BTW, I'm only running 5.1, if that matters.

thx

bob
post #1509 of 1630 Old 01-22-2009, 05:51 PM

Wow... whatever happend to the ole " plug and play" receivers. This stuff is WAY above my head. I dont know half of what is being discussed here. Maybe Im missing out on alot of stuff that my 82 COULD be giving me. DAMN. Anyone live in Southern Alberta to show me how??? hahaha.

Ok... question. I just sent my 82 in for the firmware upgrade. I want to ask here before asking the repair shop to see if they will give a straight answer. WHAT do they do when the firmware upgrade is done? Is a new "chip" put in? Do they solder something in or take something out? Or do they just program new numbers into the brain of the 82? Curious minds want to know.
post #1510 of 1630 Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmpbully View Post

Wow... whatever happend to the ole " plug and play" receivers. This stuff is WAY above my head. I dont know half of what is being discussed here. Maybe Im missing out on alot of stuff that my 82 COULD be giving me. DAMN. Anyone live in Southern Alberta to show me how??? hahaha.

Ok... question. I just sent my 82 in for the firmware upgrade. I want to ask here before asking the repair shop to see if they will give a straight answer. WHAT do they do when the firmware upgrade is done? Is a new "chip" put in? Do they solder something in or take something out? Or do they just program new numbers into the brain of the 82? Curious minds want to know.

The firmware upgrade itself is just "programming new numbers into the brain" but, the entire update includes a new piece of hardware in some instances (the HDMI board, I think).
post #1511 of 1630 Old 01-23-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmpbully View Post

don't feel bad...most of the companies building this stuff have no clue either. new tech, codecs, etc make this "sport" a statistical nightmare. on the other hand...if this wasn't challenging would it be half as fun?

thank god for these forums.
post #1512 of 1630 Old 01-23-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Mine is upgraded. I don't have a Blue ray, only HDDVD. Are there any advanced audio formats with HDDVD?

Yes. Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD (High resolution and master). However, your 82TXS will not decode so you have to set the HDDVD to output PCM (or LPCM) to get the full value of these advanced audio formats.

post #1513 of 1630 Old 01-23-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD (High resolution and master). However, your 82TXS will not decode so you have to set the HDDVD to output PCM (or LPCM) to get the full value of these advanced audio formats.

Thanks,

I tried it and couldn't tell a big difference. PCM was a little softer volume wise compared to optical out.

Would audio CD's benefit from PCM out to the 82?

thx

bob
post #1514 of 1630 Old 01-24-2009, 11:21 AM

Liked: 15
Just letting you know that there is a new OFFICIAL MCACC thread that we are hoping will be used for all MCACC questions.
This Pioneer feature is common to all units and putting these questions in one place will make it easier for you to find your MCACC answers
Here is a link to the thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?t=1112470:)
post #1515 of 1630 Old 01-25-2009, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
sorry if this has been asked before, but i am having trouble getting audio from another source when hdmi is used. i have a mac mini, and connect it to optical audio on the receiver through a toslink adapter. it used to work fine but suddenly stopped. i can edit another input and as long as the hdmi is not plugged in, i get audio through the optical input. but once i plug the hdmi cable from the mac, no more audio! help
post #1516 of 1630 Old 01-25-2009, 06:16 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,

I tried it and couldn't tell a big difference. PCM was a little softer volume wise compared to optical out.

Would audio CD's benefit from PCM out to the 82?

thx

bob

You will probably find the PCM to be about 4db quieter than bitstream. Be sure you have engaged the SW boost for PCM (Video Select/Power On).
post #1517 of 1630 Old 01-25-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You will probably find the PCM to be about 4db quieter than bitstream. Be sure you have engaged the SW boost for PCM (Video Select/Power On).

This is with updated fw vsx-82?

what is the "SW"?

thx

bob
post #1518 of 1630 Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is with updated fw vsx-82?

what is the "SW"?

thx

bob

Yes, I find the overall volume of hi-res tracks player-decoded and sent via PCM to be about 4db less than legacy or hi-res tracks sent via legacy bitstream. This is regardless of the upgrade which just addresses the LFE track.

SW stands for SubWoofer but really it is a boost of the LFE track. After the FW upgrade you need to actually turn the feature on.
post #1519 of 1630 Old 01-25-2009, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I find the overall volume of hi-res tracks player-decoded and sent via PCM to be about 4db less than legacy or hi-res tracks sent via legacy bitstream. This is regardless of the upgrade which just addresses the LFE track.

SW stands for SubWoofer but really it is a boost of the LFE track. After the FW upgrade you need to actually turn the feature on.

Did I just turn it on by pushing vid select/power?

bob
post #1520 of 1630 Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did I just turn it on by pushing vid select/power?

bob

Turn off the receiver
Hold down "Video Select" on the front panel (not the remote)
Press the power button

The display should flash "SW IN +10"

You only have to do this once. Its saved in your config data. If it said "SW IN +0" instead, then it was already on and you turned it off. Repeat the above procedure to turn it back on.
post #1521 of 1630 Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Turn off the receiver
Press the power button

You only have to do this once. Its saved in your config data. If it said "SW IN +0" instead, then it was already on and you turned it off. Repeat the above procedure to turn it back on.

Thanks

Why is there a choice?

bob
post #1522 of 1630 Old 01-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Turn off the receiver
Press the power button

I just picked one of these up as a refurb. Mine is a VSX81 model. There is not Video Select button on mine. I held down the HDMI button and turned it on and the SW+10 lit up. Did I just turn it on, on mine?
post #1523 of 1630 Old 01-26-2009, 10:18 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

Why is there a choice?

bob

I 'm not sure. Maybe because this also is a setting for analog inputs and some analog players maybe don't cut the LFE track...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtheater View Post

I just picked one of these up as a refurb. Mine is a VSX81 model. There is not Video Select button on mine. I held down the HDMI button and turned it on and the SW+10 lit up. Did I just turn it on, on mine?

Yep.
post #1524 of 1630 Old 01-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

If I had only taken the time to test it out before enabling it. I just finished replaying the Scorponock scene from Transformers. Man, did that make the difference!!! I was ready to go back to optical.
post #1525 of 1630 Old 02-05-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hello asking another question for a friend. He says their is a ethernet port in the back. Can you do the upgrades using this through the internet? I know you can do this with a Denon 3808 hoping he can do the same with the pioneer-I told him he probably can. He is going to purchase a cable shortly. Thanks again in advance.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #1526 of 1630 Old 02-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browninggold View Post

Hello asking another question for a friend. He says their is a ethernet port in the back. Can you do the upgrades using this through the internet? I know you can do this with a Denon 3808 hoping he can do the same with the pioneer-I told him he probably can. He is going to purchase a cable shortly. Thanks again in advance.

I have an 81 and there is no Ethernet jack on mine, but I believe the only way Pioneer does Firmware updates is in a service center.
post #1527 of 1630 Old 02-05-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

He said his is a 82 model and said it has a ethernet port.

post #1528 of 1630 Old 02-05-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:

He said his is a 82 model and said it has a ethernet port.

I had an 82 before my current 92 but do not recall an ethernet connection. Regardless FW updates can only peformed by a service centre. Downloading is not possible.
post #1529 of 1630 Old 02-06-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

thanks. I will let him know. He misplaced his owners maual so was not for sure.

post #1530 of 1630 Old 02-06-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:

thanks. I will let him know. He misplaced his owners maual so was not for sure.

I have an 82txs and there is no ethernet port. There is an RS232 connection, but it cannot be used to update the firmware. Here is the link to the online manual.

VSX82TXSOperatingInstructions.pdf

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page