Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1010 Old 01-11-2007, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space 74 View Post

I am looking at the 804 as well but want to connect a PS3 and a DirectTV HD DVR via HDMI. Will this work or would i have to use oticals?

use opticals.. maximize pic quality

the ps3 has problems via HDMI with handshaking issues - as of right now you have to set the ps3 at 1080i or lowers to connect via HDMI

there have been issues with DVRs also but I don't have it so somebody else will have to answer that question

My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1010 Old 01-11-2007, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had my 804 for 3 weeks and the only clicking has been during format switching at the start of a movie or tv program. Maybe the input signal is dropping out?
post #273 of 1010 Old 01-11-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkay View Post

The 804 firmware is upgradeable??

I think it's up to Sony on this one.

i disagree.. there has to be a fix from swtiching HDMI 1.3 within the receiver to be output with HDMI 1.1 ... obviously there is not a passthrough for it on the reciever now but this handshaking issue could be solved from either end

obviously the ps3 could be fixed through firmware sent to it.. and the receiver would have to be sent in to get fixed.. but I think it would be worth it since we are all having issues with our PS3s and other 1080p matierial being sent through our recievers

My Home Theater
post #274 of 1010 Old 01-11-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

use opticals.. maximize pic quality

the ps3 has problems via HDMI with handshaking issues - as of right now you have to set the ps3 at 1080i or lowers to connect via HDMI

there have been issues with DVRs also but I don't have it so somebody else will have to answer that question

My DVR (Scientific Atlantic 8300) also won't work with 804. Screen constantly flickers on HD programing. SD programming is just fine, however. I gave up and hooked the DVR back up direct and went optical on the audio.
post #275 of 1010 Old 01-11-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefsw View Post

I had my 804 for 3 weeks and the only clicking has been during format switching at the start of a movie or tv program. Maybe the input signal is dropping out?

I don't think this is the source of the clicking, but I could be wrong. I switched formats, just to hear the click, and the click that switching formats is less audible than the random click. The random one sounds just like the one at power up and down. ???
post #276 of 1010 Old 01-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I just purchased the Onkyo TX-SR804 through B&H photo and hope I wont be dissappointed. Price was right with no tax and free shipping.

The 804 will be replacing my Onkyo TX-SR504. I have Polk RTi8 fronts and CSi5 center with FXi3 rear surrounds and SVSound pb10-nsd .

Main purpose for change was for True HD and decent LFE with the Toshiba HD-A2 via HDMI to the 804 then out HDMI to the Sony XBR2. The extra power from the 804 should help as well. I will use my Sony DVP-NC85H for music and have it hooked up via HDMI to the 804. I should be able to eliminate a lot of cabling if nothing else

Any tips guys/gals before she arrives. I have a painstaking 5 days or so before delivery Hope my wife doesn't kill me before I can enjoy it
post #277 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxprss View Post

My DVR (Scientific Atlantic 8300) also won't work with 804. Screen constantly flickers on HD programing. SD programming is just fine, however. I gave up and hooked the DVR back up direct and went optical on the audio.

This is odd since I have the same DVR and have not had any problems at all with it. Could it be a problem with the DVR itself?

My only issue continues to be the PS3...finally broke down and bought another optical cable and ran that into the 804 while running HDMI directly into the TV. A disappointing setup in my opinion but at least the Harmony remote helps ease the pain...

Still hoping for a fix though.
post #278 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I'm considering the SR804, but a couple of questions.

1. Is the PS3 handshake issue something just with the 804, or all receivers? My display is 1080i and I know the issue is with 1080p - but I'm thinking about the future when I get a 1080p display.

2. How does using HDMI (digital signal) degrade the image quality when connecting from display to receiver? I thought a decent receiver like this would make it visibly transparent with no noticable difference. I know with analog or component that degradation will happen, but not with HDMI/digital.

post #279 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange17 View Post

This is odd since I have the same DVR and have not had any problems at all with it. Could it be a problem with the DVR itself?

My only issue continues to be the PS3...finally broke down and bought another optical cable and ran that into the 804 while running HDMI directly into the TV. A disappointing setup in my opinion but at least the Harmony remote helps ease the pain...

Still hoping for a fix though.

Thats funny. I was hoping to avoid the Harmony remote with all the great switching in the reciever, but since that didn't pan out, I picked up my Harmony last week so that my family can handle turing on the TV!

I am crossing my fingers that it is the cable box and time will correct it, so that when I do have two HDMI components my switch will work. As of now I only have the DVR and XBOX360 which is components.
post #280 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 07:42 AM

I hear faint hissing in my rear speakers when the volume is up.. this may be apparent in the fronts too but I sit closer to my rears so I notice it more..

is there anything I can do to minimize this?

My Home Theater
post #281 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 07:56 AM

After getting my XA2 wired in place of my A1 via HDMI to my Onkyo TX-SR804 I noticed that I don't get any audio options except stereo and multich in the Onkyo when playing an HD DVD. I also have the dreaded hum, which is one of the reasons I replaced the A1 with the XA2. Would I benefit from going HDMI direct to my Sharp LC42D62U and digital optical to the Onkyo. Would I lose the ability of TrueHD or any other sound options by connecting this way?

thanks in advance for any help

mark
post #282 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomson View Post

After getting my XA2 wired in place of my A1 via HDMI to my Onkyo TX-SR804 I noticed that I don't get any audio options except stereo and multich in the Onkyo when playing an HD DVD. I also have the dreaded hum, which is one of the reasons I replaced the A1 with the XA2. Would I benefit from going HDMI direct to my Sharp LC42D62U and digital optical to the Onkyo. Would I lose the ability of TrueHD or any other sound options by connecting this way?

mark

The XA2 may be similar to the A2 in the audio settings. Try HDMI auto and bitstream via a HDMI connection to the receiver.
post #283 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 08:45 AM

I will give that a try tonight. The manual's are both a tad confusing for a neophyte like me

I've got some folks coming over tonight to watch ONE SIX RIGHT and really wanted to show off the capabilities of my setup.

mark
post #284 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Example Problem - "My DVR won't work with 804. Screen constantly flickers on HD programing. SD programming is just fine, however. I gave up and hooked the DVR back up direct and went optical on the audio."

Friends,

Throughout the satellite and cable industries DVR owners are experiencing incompability issues when connecting their DVR to their A/V Receiver using HDMI. Most if not all sat/cable and A/V Receiver manufacturers are aware of this problem. There is no known solution to the problem at this time.

As an alternative run the HDMI directly to your HDTV. Then run a digitial coxial audio or optical audio cable from your DVR to your A/V Receiver.

Good Luck
Louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #285 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

Example Problem - "My DVR won't work with 804. Screen constantly flickers on HD programing. SD programming is just fine, however. I gave up and hooked the DVR back up direct and went optical on the audio."

Friends,

Throughout the satellite and cable industries DVR owners are experiencing incompability issues when connecting their DVR to their A/V Receiver using HDMI. Most if not all sat/cable and A/V Receiver manufacturers are aware of this problem. There is no known solution to the problem at this time.

As an alternative run the HDMI directly to your HDTV. Then run a digitial coxial audio or optical audio cable from your DVR to your A/V Receiver.

Good Luck
Louisp

Better yet, if your TV has only one HDMI input, just run component from the DVR to your TV. Run HDMI from the DVD player to the TV. In both cases, run digital audio cables to your a/v receiver.

Since cable compresses all channels -- even HD, you will likely not lose any picture quality using component from the DVR. While HDMI from your DVD player can sometimes help.

If you have to choose between the DVD player and your cable box DVR for HDMI, I think you are better off using HDMI for the DVD player, and component for the DVR.

Anybody disagree?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #286 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Better yet, if your TV has only one HDMI input, just run component from the DVR to your TV. Run HDMI from the DVD player to the TV. In both cases, run digital audio cables to your a/v receiver.

Since cable compresses all channels -- even HD, you will likely not lose any picture quality using component from the DVR. While HDMI from your DVD player can sometimes help.

If you have to choose between the DVD player and your cable box DVR for HDMI, I think you are better off using HDMI for the DVD player, and component for the DVR.

Anybody disagree?

That is a great comment Caesar.

In my tests with both HDMI and Component, using HDMI from the Directv HR20 DVR directly to the Sony KFD46E2000 yields slightly better video

But, as you so well stated, if the television has but one HDMI input AND your DVD also utilizes HDMI then you have a hard decision to make.

Louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
post #287 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 01:06 PM

I am trying to get my 804 to display on the tv the volume meter when changing, dolby etc. I have all video/audio going thru receiver. Video is all componet ( I gave up on HDMI with all its issues), audio is optical. Can it do this using componet?
post #288 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 08:32 PM

I just picked one of these up and have a question. I'm replacing my 12 year old Nakamichi AV-1 with this unit. I have a 5.1 speaker setup right now. My question is when I hook this new unit up, do I hook up my surrounds to the surrounds output or the surround "back" output? It looks like in the manual that the THX will not be in use without the "back" surrounds? Just need some clarification from some other owners on this. Thanks.
post #289 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSE501MKIV View Post

I just picked one of these up and have a question. I'm replacing my 12 year old Nakamichi AV-1 with this unit. I have a 5.1 speaker setup right now. My question is when I hook this new unit up, do I hook up my surrounds to the surrounds output or the surround "back" output? It looks like in the manual that the THX will not be in use without the "back" surrounds? Just need some clarification from some other owners on this. Thanks.

I have connected my surrounds to surrounds and not surround back. I think that is right.

Greg
post #290 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomson View Post

mark

In order to get TrueHD you must use the HDMI connection. By hum, are you referring to a ground loop hum? I don't have that with my A2 and 804. I run A2 to 804 via HDMI and HDMI to my Sanyo Z4 PJ. I also have an SD player plugged in as well as my comcast cable box. Try switching components around to see if you can get the hum to go away. And if you have already tried all this, sorry for the duplicated suggestions.

Greg
post #291 of 1010 Old 01-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

I am hearing some hiss coming from my rear speakers - it my be apparent on my fronts also but is most noticeable on my rears (running 5.1 if that matters)

is there anything I can do to minimize this?

I get hiss out of my rear speakers but only if I turn the volume up to 99 and have nothing playing. When watching movies I never go over 80 or I'll blow my ears out. I think what you are hearing is simply the signal to noise ratio. The ratio stays the same regardless of volume level but if you increase volume with no signal, all you'll hear is noise. That is pure speculation but it makes enough sense for me to rest eaiser.

I admit to not having tried the front and center speakers at 99 as I don't think it matters what I hear when I am not watching a movie and if I have the problem I may stress out about it. Ignorance is bliss.

Greg
post #292 of 1010 Old 01-13-2007, 07:43 AM

Greg - thanks for the tips.

I've gone back and set my crossover levels and sound levels and things seem to be improved. I've isolated the hum to the left front speaker so next is switching speakers to see if I can determine whether it's the speaker or the receiver.

I'm a little irritaded that I can't use any of the THX listening modes when the incoming audio signal is PCM multichannel. The manual clearly shows that the THX modes are not available with PCM multichannel. Maybe I'm stupid but what other input modes support 5.1 fom the XA2? The THX certification is one of the main reasons I selected the Onkyo.

thanks again guys

mark
post #293 of 1010 Old 01-13-2007, 11:11 AM

Do you guys think that paying a extra $150 for the 804 over the 674 is worth it?

May the Force be with you.
post #294 of 1010 Old 01-13-2007, 05:30 PM

Eric,

I'm in southern Indiana too....small world huh?

I love HD too

ps. check the spelling of supporter in your sig

mark
post #295 of 1010 Old 01-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Guys, what sound level do you have your center channels at? I auto-setup using the mic but my center channel audio is pretty low, so much so in order to get the audio decently audible, I need to be over 50 on volume. I have an 803, but it should be the same as the 804.
post #296 of 1010 Old 01-14-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Sound & Vision reviews the 804 in its Feb/March issue
post #297 of 1010 Old 01-14-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

My speakers are presently configured per the 804's auto setup utility. If I want to configure the speakers per THX I must manually alter those perimeters.

What would be gained by going with THX perimeters against the board for my Infinity Alpha Series speakers - 50's front R/L, 20's surround R/L, 10 surround back left, 37c center channel along with a Valodyne VRP 1000 Sub?

Thanks,
Louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #298 of 1010 Old 01-14-2007, 04:46 PM

im thinking about grabbing a 804 what do you current owners think about it ?

looks like there going for about 650 shipped these days.

Would this be the best bang for MY buck ?
post #299 of 1010 Old 01-14-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSE501MKIV View Post

You want to conect your surrounds to surrounds. The surround back is for 7.1. THX Select2 & THX Surround EX will produce 6 & 7 like Dolby EX & DTS-ES. You dont have those so you can not select it. I asume you did the set up mic. It knows you dont have surround backs. You should be able to use THX Cinema, Music, and Games. My opinion I dont use the THX modes. Only when listening to music MP3's.

PSN ID mitzman

post #300 of 1010 Old 01-14-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt14468 View Post

im thinking about grabbing a 804 what do you current owners think about it ?

looks like there going for about 650 shipped these days.

Would this be the best bang for MY buck ?

$650 Where?????

PSN ID mitzman

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page