Onkyo TX-SR804? - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1010 Old 01-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Received the Onky TX-SR804 about 1 minute after posting of my restlessness waiting for the UPS driver

Have pretty much everthing all hooked up and the previous receiver Onkyo 504 is in the garage

1)Cable box/DVR straight to set with analog coming from XBR2 to AVR, don't listen to much tv on the AVR.

2) Toshiba HD-A2 connected with HDMI cable to AVR then out HDMI to XBR2. Not sure if I should have the HD-A2 HDMI audio set to auto or PCM both sound good? I wasn't sure how the video would be coming out of the AVR, but its just as good as going straight to the XBR2 via HDMI with the A2.

3) Sony DVP-NC85H DVD palyer is currently using component to XBR2 and analog to the AVR. I need to puchase another HDMI cable to be rid of the Monster component cables and hook up to the HDMI IN2 of the AVR.

Auto speakers setup is the first thing to do after your connected and it went well except, I should of had my glasses on when plugging the sub in Other then that, the setup went very smooth.

The sub setting was a little less than what I like and I increased it on the SVSound pb10-nsd. I noticed a hum coming from the Sub while changing chapters viewing Batman Begins.

I lowered the sub back down and then increased it again, but this time through the speaker configuration levels adjustment. This seamed to help I will test this again shortly. Tested, see two posts down for sad results

I only noiticed humming from the sub while playing the A2. The NC85H did not have any humming at all while playing music cd's and I might add they sounded better than ever. I guess this is do to the eq settings that were automatically configured with auto speaker setup.

Auto setup came up with these numbers:

My front Polk RTi8's were set at 200HZ and the Polk Center CSi5 at 80HZ (THX) and the rear Polk FXi3's were 90HZ.

I don't understand the EQ settings, does anyone have a good link to read about adjusting these settings?

The sound is much improved over the 504. Its a richer more full sound. I will just have to check on the Humming again via the A2 and make sure its either gona or nearly gone without losing bass.

My .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1010 Old 01-19-2007, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
You said -

1) Cable box/DVR straight to set with analog coming from XBR2 to AVR, don't listen to much tv on the AVR.

2) Toshiba HD-A2 connected with HDMI cable to AVR then out HDMI to XBR2. Not sure if I should have the HD-A2 HDMI audio set to auto or PCM both sound good? I wasn't sure how the video would be coming out of the AVR, but its just as good as going straight to the XBR2 via HDMI with the A2.

3) Sony DVP-NC85H DVD palyer is currently using component to XBR2 and analog to the AVR. I need to puchase another HDMI cable to be rid of the Monster component cables and hook up to the HDMI IN2 of the AVR.

Here's a few alternate cabling ideas to think about.

CABLE BOX/DVR - I assume you are running an HDMI straight to the XBR2. If so, consider running the HDMI from the DVR to the AVR. The DVR video signal will then be transmitted to your XRB2 through your AVR to TV HDMI connection. This method with give you the option of high quality television audio throught your speaker system or through your television.

Toshiba HD-A2 - Auto or PCM. Get a favorite movie then pick out an scene with especially good audio. Play and replay the selected scene in both PCM and auto. This may help you determine which format you enjoy the most.

Sony DVP-NC85H (I own this unit myself). If you are not concerned with up-scaling DVD video then I might suggest you keep the components and run them from the Sony DVD to the AVR. Instead purchase a high quality optical digital audio cable to transmit audio from the 85 to the AVR. The Sony's video signal will be sent to your television through the existing AVR to TV HDMI.

Now, I have a question for you. Please tell me if your new Toshiba A2 provides higher quality "up-scaled" SD DVD as compared to the prior up-scaling provided by your Sony 85 DVD?

Thanks,
Louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #363 of 1010 Old 01-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

Now, I have a question for you. Please tell me if your new Toshiba A2 provides higher quality "up-scaled" SD DVD as compared to the prior up-scaling provided by your Sony 85 DVD?

Thanks,
Louisp

Though the Sony does a great job the A2 does a slightly better job with STD DVD's IMHO.

Audio was the issue, as the A2 does not have analog, however, the optical is ok.

The reason I'm not running from the Cable box/DVR is I don't really listen to tv on the AVR. I will have the Sony going to the HDMI IN2 maybe, see below.

I've had more time to test that dreaded hmmmmmm. It's still there only when I use the HD-A2 via HDMI hookup to the receiver. Even using an optical connection for audio its still there. The hmm comes from the Sub and is noticeable when I turn up the volume. Doesn't matter with HDMI IN1 or IN2.

The Onkyo 504 has never displayed this hmmm no matter how loud I cranked it or how high I set the sub.

Guess in the morning the 804 gets packed up and sent back. Bad thing is, I will have to wait for my refund to purchase a different AVR. Guess it gives me time to research o well
post #364 of 1010 Old 01-19-2007, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid1 View Post

Though the Sony does a great job the A2 does a slightly better job with STD DVD's IMHO.

I've had more time to test that dreaded hmmmmmm. It's still there only when I use the HD-A2 via HDMI hookup to the receiver. Even using an optical connection for audio its still there. The hmm comes from the Sub and is noticeable when I turn up the volume. Doesn't matter with HDMI IN1 or IN2.

The Onkyo 504 has never displayed this hmmm no matter how loud I cranked it or how high I set the sub.

Guess in the morning the 804 gets packed up and sent back. Bad thing is, I will have to wait for my refund to purchase a different AVR. Guess it gives me time to research o well

HOLD ON PARTNER!

Believe it or not, I had the same exact hummmmmmmmm problem with my 804!

Does your hum become audible at or around volume level 60/-60? If so I can almost guarantee you that your actual problem is "ground loop interference".

I changed out my 804 twice before discovering that the problem was actually not with the 804. In my case the hum was caused by a combination of two shorts. One short was found in my Infinity subwoofer's input and the other short was discovered to be in the sub cables rca plug.

My first step was to replace the subwoofer cable. That step greatly reduced the hum. After replacing the aged Infinity 1200 sub with a new Valodyne VSP 1000 the hum ceased.

Please be aware that Onkyo AVRs are known to be sensitive to ground loop interference. This does not mean that Onkyo's are overly sensitive. It just means that if you have a piece of hardware with a problem your Onkyo AVR may very well let you know about the situation by instituting a hum in one or more speakers.

Best of luck and let me know how things turn out.
Louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
post #365 of 1010 Old 01-20-2007, 08:33 AM

Liked: 12
To Human Your question. 2) Toshiba HD-A2 connected with HDMI cable to AVR then out HDMI to XBR2. Not sure if I should have the HD-A2 HDMI audio set to auto or PCM both sound good? I wasn't sure how the video would be coming out of the AVR, but its just as good as going straight to the XBR2 via HDMI with the A2.

I set my A1 to auto. This will give you DTS on SDVD and Multi PCM On HDDVD giving you DolbyTrueHD when watching HDDVD with this audio.

I would connect all video and audio sources to 804 IMHO. One cable to TV. 804 does great job. Also upconverts from composite on up.

To your hum I noticed a loud hum last night while watching Million Dollar Baby.
I normally watch HDDVDs with volume at -20. I had to turn it all the way to 0 which is what I have 804 set as max vol. My A1 is connected HDMI. As I was watching I noticed A hum from Velodyne DPS 10. Tried to get rid of it by setting cross over on sub to 40. Still there. Lowered the it on 804 still there. Any help from anyone would greatly be appreciated. I will also post in Velodyne thread.

PSN ID mitzman

post #366 of 1010 Old 01-20-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Q & A with Humanoid re: Hum

Q. Why would I get the hum with the 804 and not the 504? The 504 was completely immune to it.

A. No idea.

Q. The hum is actually noticeable when changing chapters on the A2 at about -15 and gets worse as the volume is increased. The hum is only coming from my sub which is a pb10-nsd and is only 5 months old............Tomorrow, I will hook up the sub to another outlet and see what happens.

A. Double check the inputs your sub. If you find that the inputs they have play in them there maybe a slight short.
A. Try a different sub cable. (If you do not a different sub cable use a red or white analog audio cable for the test.)
A. Double check your subs power cable for cuts. If your subs power cable is removeable, try a different cable.
A. Plug the sub power cable into a different outlet on a different circuit.
A. Take a trip to Radio Shack and see if they have an audio filter available.

I read that placing a ground isolater between the receiver and the sub may eliminate the hum and I may try that too. I may also just for grins remove the HDMI connection to the receiver and go straight to the XBR2 and use optical for audio to see if its related to the HDMI inputs.

Q. How did you go about correcting your shorts and how did you trouble shoot them? My hum is only active when the Toshiba HD-A2 is powered up and the receiver hadshakes with it. Do you think there is a short in the HD-A2, I can trade it for another one as, I just got it about 8 days ago.

A. I spent a miserable month working on my hum. After replacing the sub cable and sub itself the hum went away.

I just find it odd that my Onkyo 504 didn't have this problem.

Good luck,
Louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #367 of 1010 Old 01-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac View Post

I would connect all video and audio sources to 804 IMHO. One cable to TV. 804 does great job. Also upconverts from composite on up.

To your hum I noticed a loud hum last night while watching Million Dollar Baby.
I normally watch HDDVDs with volume at -20. I had to turn it all the way to 0 which is what I have 804 set as max vol. My A1 is connected HDMI. As I was watching I noticed A hum from Velodyne DPS 10. Tried to get rid of it by setting cross over on sub to 40. Still there. Lowered the it on 804 still there. Any help from anyone would greatly be appreciated. I will also post in Velodyne thread.

Sorry to hear you have it too.

After a few tests the hum can be isolated to only the HDMI inputs on the receiver. I attached both of my DVD players to the 804's HDMI inputs and can re-produce the hum at will.

It's very noticeable when the receiver is set to -15 or higher and pausing the movies or changing chapters. I didn't try passing video to the 804 via component, as I puchased the 804 for the HDMI feeds and proper LFE levels with the HD-A2.

When passing video to the TV and audio to the 804 the hum is gone. Something is happening with the HDMI inputs on the 804. The hum is only re-produced through the HDMI inputs

My HDMI cables are Monster 8' HDMI cables in case you want to know. MY speakers are all polk and my Sub is a pb10-nsd. All components are less than 8 months old.

Sunday the 804 gets boxed up and sent back
post #368 of 1010 Old 01-20-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you decided on the replacement for your 804?

louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #369 of 1010 Old 01-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you decided on the replacement for your 804?

louisp

Not exactly sure, as I wanted to stick with the Onkyo and it had a good price. I will probabably lean towards the Marantz sr7001 or Denon 2807. They're about 300 more than the Onkyo, but hopefully without hum included
post #370 of 1010 Old 01-20-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there anyone who uses HDMI in/out on the 804 that does NOT experience hum?

Or is hum the norm?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #371 of 1010 Old 01-20-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac View Post

$650 Where?????

6th ave electronics
post #372 of 1010 Old 01-20-2007, 04:32 PM

I finally diagnosed and cured the hum issue on my 804. The included sub cable was the culprit. I had a low end Monster audio cable lying around and tried it in place of the original and...viola...almost inaudible hum now.

Any sugestions for a good sub cable replacement? I've read unflattering reviews about Monster's sub cable.

mark
post #373 of 1010 Old 01-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomson View Post

I finally diagnosed and cured the hum issue on my 804. The included sub cable was the culprit. I had a low end Monster audio cable lying around and tried it in place of the original and...viola...almost inaudible hum now.

Any sugestions for a good sub cable replacement? I've read unflattering reviews about Monster's sub cable.

mark

Great news, I will purchase another sub cable and see if it resolves my hum too. Was your connection via HDMI when you notice the hum?
post #374 of 1010 Old 01-20-2007, 04:37 PM

Humanoid1,
My problem was identical to yours...hum only audible when playing the XA2 via a Monster HDMI cable to the 804. Try a quality sub cable and lower the volume setting on your sub and compensate by raising the sub output level in the 804. It worked for me.

mark
post #375 of 1010 Old 01-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomson View Post

Humanoid1,
My problem was identical to yours...hum only audible when playing the XA2 via a Monster HDMI cable to the 804. Try a quality sub cable and lower the volume setting on your sub and compensate by raising the sub output level in the 804. It worked for me.

mark

Thanks Mark!

Which sub cable do you recommend? I need to hit up a store like BB, CC or rad shack, as I don't have the time to order one online if I'm going to send it back.

I just tried a monster analog for grins, but had the same hum my PureAV sub cable gets.
post #376 of 1010 Old 01-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Just tried a monster ultra 600 thx cable to eliminate the hum. Didn't work the hum is still there.

The two HDMI cables I swapped are Monster HDMI from Home Depot and I'm thinking possibly they may have a bad solder joint who knows. I will swap the HDMI from the Cable box, which is a different HDMI cable and see if I get lucky. I'm running out of options.
post #377 of 1010 Old 01-20-2007, 11:39 PM

Hello everyone, my first time posting....
but I wish I would have seen these posts before buying this humming 804

I spent ALL day from 9am to 1am replacing my 8 year old Sony AVR with this humming 804....I had it all done by noon, but spent the rest of the time setting it up and trying to get rid of the damn hum!

Ive got a Hughes HD D* receiver hooked up via Component and opti to the 804, a Sony dvp-ns90v hooked up via HDMI to the 804, then HDMI to the panny TH-50PX50U.

I get the hum in the sub no matter what source I use...but the DVD is slightly louder when paused, Im sure the D* is just as loud, but since there is no pause I cant hear is as bad until there is a quite part in the program.
The louder I turn up the volume on the 804, the louder the hum gets

Ive tried all different cable combos, different cables, different power outlets, you name it and nothing fixes it, BUT..................remove the HDMI cables from the system.....and the HUM is gone!
If I hook up my DVD via component and opti, and component to the Panny, all is good.
If I leave any one HDMI cable in the system at all, the hum comes back....
I tried getting away with leaving just the HDMI from the 804 to the Panny and the hum comes back.
I even unpluged the Panny power cord from the SP and the hum was still there.
I tried pluging in the HDMI's to the 804, but leaving them unpluged from the source, and there was no hum, but as soon as I even touch the HDMI to a source unit (DVD or TV) the hum comes back....even with the source units power unplugged from the SP!

So.....IMO something inside this 804 is wrong....there must be some kind of feedback, ground noise, or something in relation to the HDMI jacks and the analog pre-outs.

So right now I have no HDMI's in use and its all good with no hum at all, but what's the point of having a nice new AVR with HDMI if you cant even use them?
Its too bad, because the picture I was getting from using the HDMI cables was a little bit nicer too, but I cant stand that hum in the sub

Has any one contacted Onkyo about this problem?
I guess Im going to try and if all else fails, its going back in the box
post #378 of 1010 Old 01-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Yep the hum is tough to get rid of. Doesn't seem like a normal 60 hz ground loop issue when its only active via an HDMI source.
post #379 of 1010 Old 01-21-2007, 12:12 AM

I dont even have to be using the HDMI as a source to get the hum.
I was testing it using my D* receiver hooked up via component and opti for the current sound.....then just plugging in one of the HDMI cables to either the tv or DVD brought back the hum, even with or without the TV and DVD power cords unplugged
post #380 of 1010 Old 01-21-2007, 06:36 AM

Hello....well, this is my first post after reading these for awhile. I can't tell you how much these posts have helped me in making my HT equipment decision.
Thank-you!..... I just bought the Onyko (TX-SR 804 B) AV Receiver yesterday...this was after taking back a Denon 687 HT receiver and Denon's DVD 557....My ears still hurt from my wife....she didn't understand and it was totally pointless to make her understand.....lol

Anyway, I was wondering what the best setup would be (connection ) wise with my equipment. I appologize if this has been gone over before in a previous fourm but I'm kinda new at this...

Panny (TH-50PX60U) Plasma - 2 HDMI's
Onyko (TX-SR 804 B) HT Receiver
Oppo (DV-981 HD)
Sony PS3
Monster Power Center (HTS5100MKII)

As for speakers ???? still trying to decide on this. The room is very large

Thanks guy's I really appreciate your help!
post #381 of 1010 Old 01-21-2007, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Or is hum the norm?

Still waiting for answers on this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #382 of 1010 Old 01-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Still waiting for answers on this.

I'm curious too.
post #383 of 1010 Old 01-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_Mi View Post

Hello....well, this is my first post after reading these for awhile. I can't tell you how much these posts have helped me in making my HT equipment decision.
Thank-you!..... I just bought the Onyko (TX-SR 804 B) AV Receiver yesterday...this was after taking back a Denon 687 HT receiver and Denon's DVD 557....My ears still hurt from my wife....she didn't understand and it was totally pointless to make her understand.....lol

Anyway, I was wondering what the best setup would be (connection ) wise with my equipment. I appologize if this has been gone over before in a previous fourm but I'm kinda new at this...

Panny (TH-50PX60U) Plasma - 2 HDMI's
Onyko (TX-SR 804 B) HT Receiver
Oppo (DV-981 HD)
Sony PS3
Monster Power Center (HTS5100MKII)

As for speakers ???? still trying to decide on this. The room is very large

Thanks guy's I really appreciate your help!

I'll take a shot at this one

Oppo 981 into HDMI IN1 on 804. I don't think you will have an interface issue with the 981 into the 804 like the previous oppo has with other AVR's.

Sony PS3, not sure but would try HDMI into HDMI IN2 on 804. You can also use component to the 804 if HDMI has a HDCP issue. I don't have a PS3, but they should have either analog, coax or optical audio connection when your not using HDMI which feeds both Audio and Video. More will chime in to help I'm sure.

The HDMI out from the 804 to the HDMI on Panny.

I don't see a cable box?

When you get your speakers you need to run the auto speaker setup for the 804. It works very well.

As for speakers you may want to check in the other threads for ideas. You should have at least a Center, two fronts and two rears with a decent sub or two. Post a question there and your price range.
post #384 of 1010 Old 01-21-2007, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or is hum the norm?

After curing my own 804 Hum problem I have briefly used HDMI in/out without interference.

Now, if you are game I have a reworked test approach for you to use in your quest to cure the hum.

Here goes.

For ease in analzing test results please change your volume scale from (-) to (+).

On a notepad, list all equipment including speakers and power center. One item to a line.

Disconnect everything from the 804.

Sub Test

With the 804 powered OFF connect the subwoofer. Check the subs setting and adjust to correct premeters. Plug the sub into its usual power source.

Power up the 804 and sub. Evaluate the volume to 60. Now slowly evaluate the volume until you hear the hum. Write down the point of hum next to subwoofer.

If you have sub hum turn off sub and 804. Replace the sub cable with a analog audio cable. Check the subs setting and adjust to correct premeters.

Power up the 804 and sub. Evaluate the volume to 60. Now slowly evaluate the volume until you hear the hum. Write down the second point of hum next to the first subwoofer hum level.

Cable/Sat Test

Inspect incoming sat or cable coxial cable. Examine connectors for corrosion.

With the 804 powered OFF connect the sat/cable receiver. Plug the sat/cab receiver into its usual power source. Connect the cab/sat receiver[list][list]
to the 804. Do not connect the sat/cab receiver to the television at this time.

Power up the 804 and cab/sat receiver. Evaluate the volume to 60. Now slowly evaluate the volume until you hear the hum. Write down the point of hum next to cab/sat receiver.

With the 804 powered OFF connect the sat/cable receiver. Plug the sat/cab receiver into its usual power source. With HDMI connected also connect a cab/sat receiver audio cable to the 804. Do not connect the sat/cab receiver to the television at this time.

Power up the 804 and cab/sat receiver. Evaluate the volume to 60. Now slowly evaluate the volume until you hear the hum. Write down the point of hum next to cab/sat receiver.

(note) I have to leave the net for awhile. I'll add more tests when I return later today.

Good Luck
Louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #385 of 1010 Old 01-21-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After curing my own 804 Hum problem I have briefly used HDMI in/out without interference.

Now, if you are game I have a reworked test approach for you to use in your quest to cure the hum.

Here goes.

For ease in analzing test results please change your volume scale from (-) to (+).

On a notepad, list all equipment including speakers and power center. One item to a line.

Disconnect everything from the 804.

Sub Test

With the 804 powered OFF connect the subwoofer. Check the subs setting and adjust to correct premeters. Plug the sub into its usual power source.

Power up the 804 and sub. Evaluate the volume to 60. Now slowly evaluate the volume until you hear the hum. Write down the point of hum next to subwoofer.

If you have sub hum turn off sub and 804. Replace the sub cable with a analog audio cable. Check the subs setting and adjust to correct premeters.

Power up the 804 and sub. Evaluate the volume to 60. Now slowly evaluate the volume until you hear the hum. Write down the second point of hum next to the first subwoofer hum level.

Cable/Sat Test

Inspect incoming sat or cable coxial cable. Examine connectors for corrosion.

With the 804 powered OFF connect the sat/cable receiver. Plug the sat/cab receiver into its usual power source. Connect the cab/sat receiver[list][list]
to the 804. Do not connect the sat/cab receiver to the television at this time.

With the 804 powered OFF connect the sat/cable receiver. Plug the sat/cab receiver into its usual power source. With HDMI connected also connect a cab/sat receiver audio cable to the 804. Do not connect the sat/cab receiver to the television at this time.

(note) I have to leave the net for awhile. I'll add more tests when I return later today.

Good Luck
Louisp

I don't have the receiver yet. I want to make sure this isn't a production issue on all 804s before purchasing.

If it is an issue, I may have spend more and buy the Denon avr-2807.

post #386 of 1010 Old 01-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eracer76 View Post

I dont even have to be using the HDMI as a source to get the hum.
I was testing it using my D* receiver hooked up via component and opti for the current sound.....then just plugging in one of the HDMI cables to either the tv or DVD brought back the hum, even with or without the TV and DVD power cords unplugged

My hum is different, as its only there when a HDMI source is playing. Both my Sources are DVD players and when the audio starts to feed into the 804 the hum begins only when connected via HDMI.

Yours sounds more like a 60 hz ground loop hum. From what I have read the most common is caused by the the cable box. Recommendations were to disconnect the coax to the cable box and see if the hum would go away. If it does you can go to your meter outside and see if the splitter for you cable is grounded to the copper pipe that should be near your meter, or you can have the cable company fix it and they should, as its code to have it grounded.

If the cable is not grounded and should lightning hit near your house the cable could carry the current into your components and worse.

You can also try to run you sub cable at 90 degrees to any power cables it may be crossing.

If you haven't already, you can get a cheater plug, which is a 3 prong plug that plugs into a two slot outlet to test components that may be causing the hum.
post #387 of 1010 Old 01-21-2007, 09:37 AM

Thank you very much....Yes I do have a cable box ...sorry. Comcast digital with HDMI.
post #388 of 1010 Old 01-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_Mi View Post

Thank you very much....Yes I do have a cable box ...sorry. Comcast digital with HDMI.

How do you have your comcast box hooked up currently?

(Note) In regards to the cable box, there maybe an issue with HDMI or there may not. Its a try and see type thing.

Regardless you have 3 components that have HDMI hookups with the exception of the Panny, that you can to connect to the 804.

If you watch a lot of TV you can run the comcast box to the receiver straight to the 804 HDMI in and have higher quality sound or you can just run it to the panny and take advantage of its HDMI inputs, then run analog from the panny to the receiver for stereo sound.

I have read a few sound related issues with the PS3 and having proper HDCP with various AVR's HDMI inputs. It may be better to use component with an optical or coaxial cable to the receiver, but I'm somewhat new to this and you should seek other opinions.

The Oppo is a given and should be set to the HDMI in on your receiver.

I hope that helps and goodluck!
post #389 of 1010 Old 01-21-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid1 View Post

My hum is different, as its only there when a HDMI source is playing. Both my Sources are DVD players and when the audio starts to feed into the 804 the hum begins only when connected via HDMI.

Yours sounds more like a 60 hz ground loop hum. From what I have read the most common is caused by the the cable box. Recommendations were to disconnect the coax to the cable box and see if the hum would go away. If it does you can go to your meter outside and see if the splitter for you cable is grounded to the copper pipe that should be near your meter, or you can have the cable company fix it and they should, as its code to have it grounded.

If the cable is not grounded and should lightning hit near your house the cable could carry the current into your components and worse.

You can also try to run you sub cable at 90 degrees to any power cables it may be crossing.

If you haven't already, you can get a cheater plug, which is a 3 prong plug that plugs into a two slot outlet to test components that may be causing the hum.

Did you see this:

"2nd Update - Gave 804 another try.

With additional technical help I discovered the "hum" was not the fault of the Onkyo 804 but infact due to a ground fault issue with my DVD player. Once the DVD player was replaced no further "hum" was present."

http://reviews.cnet.com/Onkyo_TX_SR8...5&cval=2287485

Or this:

"You've discovered the "ground loop hum." It happens when there is a small ground differential between the outputs of one machine and the inputs of another. By the way, it happens at around 60Hz not mHz. You'll notice that that 60Hz is also the frequency of standard house current in the US.

You could have gotten rid of the hum by using a cheater plug (not recommended), or by assuring you plugged both offending pieces of equipment into one outlet (making sure the outlet can support both). There are other methods of eliminating the hum, just do a search of "ground loop hum," here on the SPot to find them."

http://www.***************.com/htsth...e/0#Post820515

post #390 of 1010 Old 01-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Yeppers, I tried all the things mentioned and it left me feeling that my unit may be damaged in some way. Enough hours spent on it and I won't live with the hum. I have it boxed up and just need to to get an RMA number tomorrow to send back.

I just left Tweeters where I auditioned the 2807 with the speakers I'm currently using and was very pleased with music and HT. Itrs a warmer richer sound and found it appealing. Didn't hear any hums either

Thanks for all the help, but I'm jumping ship either to the above mentioned unit or a SR7001.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page