Onkyo TX-SR804? - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 1010 Old 02-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Member
 
Indiana Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull1962 View Post

Can you list all your components so you can be better helped...

Well it really doesn't matter what I have plugged in, since I know I need to manually switch between HDMI 2 and Component 2 if I want to use those slots. But if you want to know, I have the PS3 in HDMI 2 and the Wii would've gone into Component 2.

Of course, now I have that infamous "hum" problem going on.
Indiana Jones is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 1010 Old 02-02-2007, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
49Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post

Well it really doesn't matter what I have plugged in, since I know I need to manually switch between HDMI 2 and Component 2 if I want to use those slots. But if you want to know, I have the PS3 in HDMI 2 and the Wii would've gone into Component 2.

Of course, now I have that infamous "hum" problem going on.


I strongly encourage you to call Onkyo USA Technical Support at 201-785-2600 or 1-800-229-1687. Select option 5 then ask for Technical Support. In your conversation with Tech Support give them your 804's serial number and obtain the name of the person taking the call. Additionally, ask the Technician to inform Jennifer that you have called with a 804 Hum problem.

The reason for all of this is because up until this week Onkyo USA denied receiving any calls in regards to the 804 Hum. I know this to be false since I have gone through two 804's in the past year due to the Hum.

In my personal case, in response to my call of concern to Onkyo USA Management, Tech Jennifer has been assigned to work with me on the Hum issue. She has gathered quite a bit of information from me and is currently working on the

It is my belief that all 804 owners may ultimately benefit from our efforts to bring this most problematic issue to the forefront at Onkyo USA.

Louisp

I wish you luck in finding a successful solution to your own 804 problem.

Louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
49Merc is offline  
post #543 of 1010 Old 02-02-2007, 07:00 AM
axs
AVS Special Member
 
axs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Louisp,

Just curious, was the hum issue with your receiver resolved? What was the cause/fix?
axs is offline  
post #544 of 1010 Old 02-02-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lsarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Found this mini review today (not sure what all the numbers mean though -- you would think the review would indicate what's a good number and what's bad in all the test listed):

That's just a technical sidebar. The actual review is here.
lsarver is offline  
post #545 of 1010 Old 02-02-2007, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
caesar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 4,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

That's just a technical sidebar. The actual review is here.

Thanks, I missed that.

Saw this in the review:

"On the downside, the receiver cannot scale video signals to 720p or 1080i."

Why is that a downside? Why would you want your receiver to do that -- when most upconverting DVD players or televisions will do that remarkably well?

I would prefer that receivers handle the audio and the video components handle the video well. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a need for the receiver to scale the video to 720p or 1080i (rather than just pass it to the TV and let the TV scale it)?
caesar1 is offline  
post #546 of 1010 Old 02-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Bill3508's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a question. Right now I'm running HDMI from my SAT box to the 804 as well as an optical cable. Since HDMI is supossed to run audio also, is this necessary or have I just not figured out how to turn something on. I haven't seen anything regarding a setting for HDMI audio other than in preferences or hardware(not sure which one it was) that allows you to turn on the HDMI audio out. Right now I run sat and DVD through optical, but both are HDMI hookups. Am I missing something?

THanks

Bill3508

A wise man once said if it sounds like a broken record there is a motive behind the message.
Bill3508 is offline  
post #547 of 1010 Old 02-02-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ndskyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im not 100% sure but I remember reading that once you select HDMI for a Video input the 804 automaticaly changes the audio for that input to HDMI. If you check your settings I'd venture a guess that you are actually getting your audio via HDMI and the Optical isnt being used. Easy way to check is pull that optical and see if you are still getting audio from your SAT box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill3508 View Post

I've got a question. Right now I'm running HDMI from my SAT box to the 804 as well as an optical cable. Since HDMI is supossed to run audio also, is this necessary or have I just not figured out how to turn something on. I haven't seen anything regarding a setting for HDMI audio other than in preferences or hardware(not sure which one it was) that allows you to turn on the HDMI audio out. Right now I run sat and DVD through optical, but both are HDMI hookups. Am I missing something?

THanks

Bill3508

ndskyz is offline  
post #548 of 1010 Old 02-02-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ndskyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No you arent missin a thing, I agree with ya. I dont want my AVR to do video processing. Just one less thing it has to do. Let the Video processors do that. (DVD's and TV's)
I guess the reviewer sees it as a negative in the case that if you dont own a Upconvert DVD. And you run 480p into the 804. You get 480p out. I know Sony and a couple of others will upconvert that to 720 or 1080i. Or a SAT box that puts out SD 480 signal wont be Stepped up to 720 or 1080i. To each his own I guess


Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Thanks, I missed that.

Saw this in the review:

"On the downside, the receiver cannot scale video signals to 720p or 1080i."

Why is that a downside? Why would you want your receiver to do that -- when most upconverting DVD players or televisions will do that remarkably well?

I would prefer that receivers handle the audio and the video components handle the video well. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a need for the receiver to scale the video to 720p or 1080i (rather than just pass it to the TV and let the TV scale it)?

ndskyz is offline  
post #549 of 1010 Old 02-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Member
 
Randybw1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Brock, TX, USA
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why does everyone say the 803 won't pass 1080p? It is supposed to, I can't get it to with my PS3, but it is supposed to. All the sales info I read says it will? Am I way wrong?
Randybw1 is offline  
post #550 of 1010 Old 02-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Newbie
 
tsxprss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxprss View Post

Does anybody know what the 804 does when in goes into the above mentioned "protection mode"? Does the display indicate this?


I may have answered my own question and figured out the source of the random clicking of the reciever. The receiver only "clicks" when the impediance is set at 6 ohms. When changed to 4 ohms the clicking never happens. When set to 6 ohms and I start at really low volume, it will "click" as I raise the volume.

I am thinking that the clicking is an overcurrent protection in the reciever. The real question is that my speakers, older JBL's, are rated at a minimum of 8 ohms, yet they are kicking the reciever into this mode at a fairly low volume level?

What would cause this? Speakers that are drawing more current than the nameplate implies??? To long of wires to speakers??
tsxprss is offline  
post #551 of 1010 Old 02-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Newbie
 
timmiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recieved my 804 yesterday from CC online and got it set up via HDMI except for the Xbox 360 via component. Everything seems to be working good but I have a question about the remote.

I have programed the macro buttons to turn on the DVD, TV, and Receiver with a single button push (Wife requirement!) which works fine however the remote has a different button to turn OFF the receiver so I have to waste another macro button just to turn it all off via Macro. This really seems ridiculous to have two seperate power buttons (on and off) for the receiver. Does anybody know of a way to turn the 804 power on and off via a single infared command?

As for the notorious hum, to help me understand since I'm a newbie to all this, is there an expectation that there will be no sound hum/feedback heard by turning up the volume to the max (+15) while DVD or TV (DVR) is paused? I do get it but only at volumes that I think I would never be able to listen to.

So far though, I am very happy with this purchase as my old receiver was audio only and now with both audio and video going through the receiver (via HDMI), and two more speakers, I actually have less cabling than I had with the old setup.

I'll do some more experimentation with the hum issue and report back if I'm able to provide any pertinent feedback. I can confirm now though that there is no significant hum coming from my subwoofer, it is all from the other speakers.

-Tim
timmiser is offline  
post #552 of 1010 Old 02-02-2007, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
49Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Congradulations on receiving your 804. At its best, there should no power noise throughout the entire volume range. In my experience with the 804 there are various degrees of acceptable audio interference.

Louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
49Merc is offline  
post #553 of 1010 Old 02-03-2007, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lsarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Why is that a downside? Why would you want your receiver to do that -- when most upconverting DVD players or televisions will do that remarkably well?

I would prefer that receivers handle the audio and the video components handle the video well. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a need for the receiver to scale the video to 720p or 1080i (rather than just pass it to the TV and let the TV scale it)?

I agree, too.

I guess the reviewer wanted a full-blown video processor as well as a receiver, all for $700. Analog-to-digital conversion just wasn't enough for him. Or maybe he just thought reviewers were supposed to find something to gripe about.

Of course, if you've got a (newish) upconverting DVD player, you're probably not using its analog video output, anyway.
lsarver is offline  
post #554 of 1010 Old 02-03-2007, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lsarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randybw1 View Post

Why does everyone say the 803 won't pass 1080p? It is supposed to, I can't get it to with my PS3, but it is supposed to. All the sales info I read says it will? Am I way wrong?

803 or 804?
lsarver is offline  
post #555 of 1010 Old 02-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Member
 
csig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Madison CT
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seems like a number of outlets are clearing out the 804 units -- does anyone know if it is being replaced with an updated model in the near future? Also seems like the 703 is long due for a replacement/update.
csig is offline  
post #556 of 1010 Old 02-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Member
 
subatomic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: sf, ca
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotman View Post

I have been shopping for a good receiver (yet to know what "GOOD" means). Was comparing Onkyo 804 with Yamaha RX-V2700/HTR6090 and Denon AVR-2807. Can someone guide me which would be best for the given time and i understand with technology advancement its difficult to be up to date. I found this thread very informative and was curious if i could get some advice on which receiver to buy if my budget is around $800 for a receiver and if u could recommend some good speakers with the receiver.

I'm comparing the same receivers (denon 987/2807, Onkyo 804, Yamaha V2700).
- I need to output from HDMI to the 1080p TV to keep HDCP happy from BluRay/HDDVD/TivoS3 sources.
- I need component->HDMI at full resolution (480p-1080p) to keep my xbox 360 component outputs hi-res to the TV at 1080i/p I don't think I really need scaling.
- I'd like composite/svideo to upscale to at least 480p HDMI.

thoughts:
- Looks like Denon does not do component->HDMI above 480. Does this mean that 1080i component input will actually downconvert to 480p HDMI output? (blah!) (or will the denon pass 1080 component->1080 HDMI???)
- Will Onkyo pass 1080i from component->HDMI output? Their docs seem to suggest it without being completely specific.
(** my xbox360 outputs 1080i component, which should output full res on AVR's HDMI ouput)

What would you guys recommend for me? One of these 3? or something different?
subatomic is offline  
post #557 of 1010 Old 02-03-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
caesar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 4,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by csig View Post

Seems like a number of outlets are clearing out the 804 units -- does anyone know if it is being replaced with an updated model in the near future? Also seems like the 703 is long due for a replacement/update.

what outlets? where?

Links please.
caesar1 is offline  
post #558 of 1010 Old 02-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Member
 
csig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Madison CT
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

what outlets? where?

Links please.

Circuit City, *******, and Vann's to name a few.
csig is offline  
post #559 of 1010 Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
caesar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 4,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by csig View Post

Circuit City, *******, and Vann's to name a few.

Circuit city still has this in the mid to upper 8's -- that's no change.

When I go there, they don't even have them out -- they have the 803 out. But they do have the 804 if you ask for it. But they refused to lower the price for me from what you see in the add to cart on line -- mid to upper 8s.

What makes you say this about CC?
caesar1 is offline  
post #560 of 1010 Old 02-03-2007, 04:20 PM
axs
AVS Special Member
 
axs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by subatomic View Post

thoughts:
- Looks like Denon does not do component->HDMI above 480. Does this mean that 1080i component input will actually downconvert to 480p HDMI output? (blah!) (or will the denon pass 1080 component->1080 HDMI???)

That is not correct. Both Denon 987/2807 can upconvert 480i/480p/1080i/720p from component to output from HDMI out. These are output at the resolution at which they were input (except for 480i->480p). Only 1080p is not supported by HDMI upconversion feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subatomic View Post

- Will Onkyo pass 1080i from component->HDMI output? Their docs seem to suggest it without being completely specific.
(** my xbox360 outputs 1080i component, which should output full res on AVR's HDMI ouput)

SR804 will pass 1080i via component->HDMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by subatomic View Post

What would you guys recommend for me? One of these 3? or something different?

FWIW, I got AVR-987 for my second setup few days back.
axs is offline  
post #561 of 1010 Old 02-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Member
 
csig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Madison CT
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Circuit city still has this in the mid to upper 8's -- that's no change.

When I go there, they don't even have them out -- they have the 803 out. But they do have the 804 if you ask for it. But they refused to lower the price for me from what you see in the add to cart on line -- mid to upper 8s.

What makes you say this about CC?

Not sure what you're talking about -- it's 3 hundred off on their website. That's a substantial discount for CC. Other places are also offering steeper than normal discounts right now.
csig is offline  
post #562 of 1010 Old 02-03-2007, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
49Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

what outlets? where?

Links please.


To clear the air re: CC 804 pricing / 804 pricing in general, the normal everyday price for the 804 is discounted from the MSRP to $799. The price is the norm on the web and from general retail stores. Do not pay $1099!

Best of luck,
Louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
49Merc is offline  
post #563 of 1010 Old 02-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Member
 
subatomic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: sf, ca
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by axs View Post

That is not correct. Both Denon 987/2807 can upconvert 480i/480p/1080i/720p from component to output from HDMI out. These are output at the resolution at which they were input (except for 480i->480p). Only 1080p is not supported by HDMI upconversion feature.

thanks for the confirmation. wow, reading everything on denon's site, it's so not specific. and they even mention they only support 480p upconversion on analogs... crazy... I wonder if they're losing business on this one because of their non-exact wording. (or maybe it's all me!)

I'm betting there's some standard conversion conventions on receivers these days that i'm just not familiar with yet... (this is me upgrading from a denon prologic receiver with no components svideos or digital audios - yeah, HD newb!)...
subatomic is offline  
post #564 of 1010 Old 02-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Member
 
Randybw1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Brock, TX, USA
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 803 with the PS3 problem.
Randybw1 is offline  
post #565 of 1010 Old 02-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Bill3508's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskyz View Post

Im not 100% sure but I remember reading that once you select HDMI for a Video input the 804 automaticaly changes the audio for that input to HDMI. If you check your settings I'd venture a guess that you are actually getting your audio via HDMI and the Optical isnt being used. Easy way to check is pull that optical and see if you are still getting audio from your SAT box.


For those wondering about this, if you have the optical cable in it will not recognize or let you switch to HDMI audio. Once the optical cable is removed you can select HDMI audio in the digital input menu.

Bill3508

A wise man once said if it sounds like a broken record there is a motive behind the message.
Bill3508 is offline  
post #566 of 1010 Old 02-04-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
caesar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 4,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

To clear the air re: CC 804 pricing / 804 pricing in general, the normal everyday price for the 804 is discounted from the MSRP to $799. The price is the norm on the web and from general retail stores. Do not pay $1099!

Best of luck,
Louisp

Yeah, well my local CC store manager is a big *ick. CC's website shows the silver version of the 804 at msrp of 799. He refused to budge on the black one (which sells for $50 higher on the website) -- even though they don't even carry the silver one at the store.

I will try a CC near work -- cause this guy just wouldn't budge for $50.00. I wallked out in a huff.
caesar1 is offline  
post #567 of 1010 Old 02-04-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
49Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Yeah, well my local CC store manager is a big *ick. CC's website shows the silver version of the 804 at msrp of 799. He refused to budge on the black one (which sells for $50 higher on the website) -- even though they don't even carry the silver one at the store.

I will try a CC near work -- cause this guy just wouldn't budge for $50.00. I wallked out in a huff.

I appauld your determination.

Louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
49Merc is offline  
post #568 of 1010 Old 02-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Newbie
 
muellner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my 803 up and running now for almost a week now. And love it. Install went very well and up front. I did download the manual from Onkyo's website and studied it for a week so I was prepared. I don't care for the AV's speaker hook-ups would have used banana plugs if I would of know what a pain they would be to hook up the wiring. Ran the auto set up without a hitch then tweaked the settings. Mainly the crossover sets. Set them to 10-20 HZ above my speakers bottom end after reading some good stuff on it on Audiohilics web. Still had to set my SW2 sub to about 50 on it's crossover...too much cabinet break-up. As for the hum some are reporting I haven't experienced any as of yet. But I'm not running HDMI or any game gear on mine. I did use a TosLink optical hook-up for my DVD audio instead of coax. So far I am a happy camper with my 803 as it really makes my JBL's really shine! Not impressed with the EQ (highs are too harsh) so I've turned it off unless listening to my albums. But will teak that as time comes along with the remote's settings.

Onkyo TX-SR803S
JVC XV-M567 DVD
Panasonic 31" CRT
JBL Northbridge speakers:
E100 front, E35 center, E50 surr
Realistic Minimus 7 surrB
muellner is offline  
post #569 of 1010 Old 02-04-2007, 05:21 PM
axs
AVS Special Member
 
axs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by subatomic View Post

thanks for the confirmation. wow, reading everything on denon's site, it's so not specific. and they even mention they only support 480p upconversion on analogs... crazy... I wonder if they're losing business on this one because of their non-exact wording. (or maybe it's all me!)

I'm betting there's some standard conversion conventions on receivers these days that i'm just not familiar with yet... (this is me upgrading from a denon prologic receiver with no components svideos or digital audios - yeah, HD newb!)...

This is clearly documented in the owner's manual. You will be able to download owner's manual from most manufacturer's web site. I would suggest taking a look at the owner's manuals for the models you are considering for purchase and then heading to stores to give them a listen. This way you will be able to get a better feel for the models you are considering.
axs is offline  
post #570 of 1010 Old 02-04-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
caesar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 4,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

I appauld your determination.

Louisp

It just p i s es me off when they act like it is their money. Like they will get fired for $50.00. And they try and pretend that the Circuit City website is not the same as Circuit City (when it comes to customer perception).

For example, this manager contends the price for this receiver is in excess of $1000 at the store -- and that it doesn't matter what the website "add to cart" thing says. In other words, he claims he is cutting me a break by "offering" it to me at the "add to cart" figure for the black 804. And that is another reason why he should not match the price for the "add to cart" figure for the silver 804 (which is $50.00 less). This particular manager is a j*rk. I guarantee you another manager at another CC will give it to me for the $50 less (I just have to drive out of my way).

What a crock.
caesar1 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off