Onkyo TX-SR804? - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1010 Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so I did some more testing. It seems to be somewhat dependent on the freq and dvd in question. I let the recvr cool down for a few hours I then loaded up the DVD of Hero and adjusted it to a few seconds before the arrow shot. I the turned the recvr on and pushed play... Same result. Just before the arrows hit, the recvr shuts off. I tried some other discs (desperado superbit during the gun fights, etc) and was able to replicate it again, but at higher volumes. Desperado would kick off on nearly every gunshot above 80-81. has anyone else had this happen? Is there a setting I might be missing that's causing this? Not that I want to run my recvr that loud or hard all the time, but I can't figure out why it would do it when I am still 20-25% away from max.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
"Serenity Now!!! Insanity later."

-HarBlar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1010 Old 03-06-2007, 08:52 PM

edit: double post

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

-HarBlar
post #723 of 1010 Old 03-06-2007, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarBlar View Post

Ok, so I did some more testing. It seems to be somewhat dependent on the freq and dvd in question. I let the recvr cool down for a few hours I then loaded up the DVD of Hero and adjusted it to a few seconds before the arrow shot. I the turned the recvr on and pushed play... Same result. Just before the arrows hit, the recvr shuts off. I tried some other discs (desperado superbit during the gun fights, etc) and was able to replicate it again, but at higher volumes. Desperado would kick off on nearly every gunshot above 80-81. has anyone else had this happen? Is there a setting I might be missing that's causing this? Not that I want to run my recvr that loud or hard all the time, but I can't figure out why it would do it when I am still 20-25% away from max.

Four suggestions:

1. Triple check ALL conections, including speaker connection at the AVR and at each speaker.
.......Look for touching bare wire or cross wiring.
.......Look for damaged speaker wire and power cords/connections

2 Disconnect then reconnect ALL cable and wiring. Reconnect carefully. Ensure all power is off.

3. Disconnect your DVD player then try to reproduce the error with another video source.

4. Try another DVD player.

Good Luck,
Louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #724 of 1010 Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

Four suggestions:

1. Triple check ALL conections, including speaker connection at the AVR and at each speaker.
.......Look for touching bare wire or cross wiring.
.......Look for damaged speaker wire and power cords/connections

2 Disconnect then reconnect ALL cable and wiring. Reconnect carefully. Ensure all power is off.

3. Disconnect your DVD player then try to reproduce the error with another video source.

4. Try another DVD player.

Good Luck,
Louisp

First off, thanks for the response, Louisp. It definitely helped me out.

So, Ok... I checked every connection. all the speaker wire was brand new and I was using bananna plugs to connect to the recvr. unplugged, disconnected, double checked, and reconnected everything. turn recvr on and test at same scene... same result. ok, so I start unplugging speakers one at a time. pull a speaker, test, same result, pull another speaker, test, etc... Until I get to the center channel, which of course is the last speaker. I pull it and test... recvr keeps going. I plug all the speakers back in except for the center, test... recvr keeps going. I test all the way upto 90... no probs. Ok, so the center channel speaker is in the ceiling, maybe it got damaged somewhere, so I run a new wire across the room to test. I plug in the center and test... recvr goes dead! grrrrr...

Ok, so now I decide maybe it's the speaker (brand new primus c25, better not be the speaker!) so I plug in my old POS 6 ohm yamaha center (which I'm fairly sure is blown.) I test... No prob. Upto 90 noprob... doesn't sound great, but no prob.

Great... So now I've narrowed it down.

It's either a speaker setting that isn't meshing with my C25 or there's a cross somewhere In the c25 itself. I'm going to pull the back plate off to see if it might be and easy fix (loose wire at the terminal) and play around with the center channel setup in the config. Worst case scenario the center goes back and I trade up for c350, I guess!

any other speaker setup related suggestions I might try?

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

-HarBlar
post #725 of 1010 Old 03-07-2007, 07:49 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackie1604 View Post

We're building my buddy a new home theater, 720 Projector. Can he pass all his svideo and Component HD sources via one HDMI cable with the 804? It's not quite clear in the spec I read, so I want to be sure. For $750 from Crutchfield, it's a good buy.

Basically he'll have a Nintendo Wii, XBOX360 and Dish 622VIP DVR.....Two Component and one HDMI.

Yes it will pass it. It will upconvert and pass composite and up through one single HDMI out. Look at page 43 of manual. In setup you would select "---" in the HDMI Video setup. Ex. if Video2 input is connected S-Video you would select "---". If you wanted to output S-Video you would select S-Video.
I have PS2 with old composite video cable it passed it HDMI. Picture wasn't the greatest.
I recently upgraded to component what a difference! I will take all video inputs and pass them with the HDMI out.

PSN ID mitzman

post #726 of 1010 Old 03-07-2007, 08:47 AM

Hi guys, question about HDMI upconverting.

I've had my TX-SR804 for about a week now and it's been great... with one exception. I currently have my Nintendo Wii connected to the 804 via component video (component video in #3), and have the 804 connected to the TV via HDMI out. According to the documentation, the 804 should upconvert the component video signal to HDMI. It does. Partially.

Here's what I see:

1) With the Wii set to 4x3 mode (through 804 component->HDMI upconversion), everything works properly. The TV displays 4x3 signal and everything looks correct.

2) With the Wii set to 16x9 mode (through 804 component->HDMI conversion), things look wrong; the TV still displays 4x3 signal. The picture on the screen looks like a 16x9 picture crammed into 4x3 space.

3) With the Wii set to 16x9 mode (component video connected directly to the component in jack on the TV), it properly shows up in 16x9 format.

4) My DVD player and Playstation 3 (connected to HDMI IN 1 and 2 on the 804) both display 16x9 format properly on the TV.

5) The Wii video resolution setting (480i vs 480p) is correctly propagated through the 804 to the TV, but the aspect ratio is always 4x3.

It's like the 804 is accepting the 16x9 signal and converting it to 4x3 before forwarding it on to the TV.

My expectation is that the 804 should recognize the 16x9 component signal from the Wii, and that it should remain 16x9 when upconverted to HDMI. Is this not the case?
Am I missing a setting on the 804 that would allow the component->HDMI upconversion to preserve the 16x9 aspect ratio?
Am I expecting something that I shouldn't be expecting (i.e. is the behavior I'm seeing the expected behavior?)
Is this a known problem/limitation of the 804, or do I perhaps have a defective unit?
Does anyone else see similar behavior?

Many thanks,
mint
post #727 of 1010 Old 03-07-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Short & Sweet. I am very happy to report that my newly modified hum free "hopefully" Onkyo TX-SR804 is at this moment homeward bound aboard a Fedex aircraft. Rest assured that an update will be coming your way just as soon as possible.

Louisp

I wonder how wide spread this issue is though. I feared it based on your posts -- but I hear zero hum. In fact, I can turn the master volume up to reference (0 db) with the receiver on -- but no source playing -- and hear no hiss either.

I do use HDMI switching -- although it is not fully switched. I have my DVD player going into HDMI 1 on the 804, and HDMI out from the 804 to my projector.

I use component for my HDTV cable box -- directly between the box and the projector. I did switch the cable box too -- for about 3 seconds -- which is all it would allow (due to a firmware issue on the cable box). But no hum then either.
post #728 of 1010 Old 03-07-2007, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj_gonzales View Post

Caesar1

The problem is with your box, not the receiver. I'm assuming you have a Motorola 64XX or 34XX box. If that is the case you need at least firmware ver. 12.35 in order to pass HDMI through a repeater (in this case, your receiver.) It's something your cable provider has to do for you. I recommend contacting them.

I had that same problem and I'm currently acting as a "test box" for firmware updates with my provider.

Your other alternative is to use component cables.

I just realized something. What if I ran component cables from the Motorola Cable box directly to the receveiver (component IN1) -- and then upconverted it to HDMI (see page 43 of the onkyo 804 manual) and had the signal go out to my projector via HDMI out?

That way HDMI is not directly connected to my receiver from the box. It is upconverted by the 804 and then output to my projector. So I'm not passing HDMI through the "repeater/receiver" -- I'm passing component (and then upconverting it to HDMI).

This way I could use HDMI as the sole input on my projector and also possibly work around the HDMI repeater issue with the cable box. I might try that this weekend.

Think this might work?

I'm sure any picture quality degradation is minimal with component to HDMI.
post #729 of 1010 Old 03-07-2007, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac View Post

Did anyone answer this?
If there ever is an HDDVD in 6.1 or 7.1. Will you be able to use rear surrounds over HDMI or just 5.1. I don't mind watching HDDVD in 5.1 because it sounds great. Rear surrounds just sitting there on wall.

I'm looking for an answer on this one... does this AVR do 7.1 PCM over HDMI?

-Josh Murrah
post #730 of 1010 Old 03-07-2007, 01:29 PM
boo
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagMan View Post

Nope, I have the 804 for upstairs ( only 5.1 set-up) and it does not do 7.1, only the 5.1 PCM.

I also bought the Denon 887 (2307) for downstairs and it does do 7.1 PCM, even says so on the display.
post #731 of 1010 Old 03-07-2007, 01:50 PM

Boo,

What source material did you use to test for 7.1 PCM? I haven't seen anything in Blu-Ray yet that offers a 7.1 PCM soundtrack, but I'd sure like to hear uncompressed 7.1.

Thx,
Olden
post #732 of 1010 Old 03-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olden51 View Post

Boo,

What source material did you use to test for 7.1 PCM? I haven't seen anything in Blu-Ray yet that offers a 7.1 PCM soundtrack, but I'd sure like to hear uncompressed 7.1.

Thx,
Olden

I am on the phone with Onkyo now, I find it hard to believe it wouldnt pass all 7 channels

edit: I think there are a few titles with 6.1 PCM
post #733 of 1010 Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Onkyo says it will do all channels of PCM over HDMI
post #734 of 1010 Old 03-07-2007, 02:30 PM

That's good to hear! Thanks for taking the time to check with Onkyo. Now if the studios will just release some Blu-Ray content containing uncompressed 7.1 PCM...
post #735 of 1010 Old 03-07-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the previous poster who talked with Onkyo.

Boo, I'd also like to know... most Onkyo's seem to only do 5.1, so I'd actually be surprised to find that this unit did 7.1 instead of 5.1.

There's a few Blu-Ray 6.1 titles me thinks, and there's one PS3 game that does 7.1 (Resistance).

-Josh Murrah
post #736 of 1010 Old 03-07-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:

It's either a speaker setting that isn't meshing with my C25 or there's a cross somewhere In the c25 itself. I'm going to pull the back plate off to see if it might be and easy fix (loose wire at the terminal) and play around with the center channel setup in the config. Worst case scenario the center goes back and I trade up for c350, I guess!

any other speaker setup related suggestions I might try?

Ok, so I tried adjusting the center levels and eq's all the way down, played with the cross over and every other setting I could find related to the center channel. All this did was allow me to get the volume a little bit higher, before it kicked off. Unless there's some hidden service menu with an option "make speaker work," Then I am 99.9% sure there is something goofy with the speaker, so I called crutchfield about a replacement. 5 minutes later and I now have a brand new c25 winging it's way to South Dakota, (completely with paid return shipping for the suspect speaker). If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what to think seeing as the recvr worked fine with the old center channel at much higher settings. The only way to replicate the problem with out the center was to cross the + and - wires. Oh well, cross my fingers and hoping to hell it's not the recvr!

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

-HarBlar
post #737 of 1010 Old 03-08-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagMan View Post

Can anyone answer this? Im still waiting. Do I need to post in another thread?

Sorry I see some replys to this. I asked this ages ago.

PSN ID mitzman

post #738 of 1010 Old 03-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

I am also concerned about this and I am going to call Onkyo back and double check.
post #739 of 1010 Old 03-08-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkay View Post

Lee, sounds like you're a candidate for a power conditioning strip. Both of those symptoms are tell tail signs of a ground loop problem.

Elkay,
I thought about that too. Given past history in my house, I decided to put in a Monster HTS 3600 MKii power conditioner and I'm running everything (rcvr, tv, xbox, dvd player) through that. Still have the LF hum when HDMI is connected. Double/triple/quadruple checked all the speaker wiring to make sure they are all connected properly as well. Same results - LF hum when HDMI is connected, but not when only component video output is connected.

-Lee
post #740 of 1010 Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 AM

Very interesting, expecially considering Onkyo's single component fix for the problem. Thanks for the update.
post #741 of 1010 Old 03-08-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkay View Post

Very interesting, expecially considering Onkyo's single component fix for the problem. Thanks for the update.

No problem. I figured the 3600 was worth the investment since I put down some good coin on the tv and receiver - good protection and peace of mind!

I'm very curious to hear what results Loiusp has with the filter fix Onkyo has applied to his receiver. If it works, I'll be on the phone in no time!

Lee
post #742 of 1010 Old 03-08-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecoolmint View Post

Hi guys, question about HDMI upconverting.
2) With the Wii set to 16x9 mode (through 804 component->HDMI conversion), things look wrong; the TV still displays 4x3 signal. The picture on the screen looks like a 16x9 picture crammed into 4x3 space.

It's like the 804 is accepting the 16x9 signal and converting it to 4x3 before forwarding it on to the TV.

This is normal. Set your TV to "FULL" mode.

The Wii is standard definition only. SD is all 4:3, there is no such thing as a "16:9" SD mode, other than "anamorphic" which is exactly what you are seeing (it looks smushed...). You need to tell the TV to stretch that back out to "full" screen, likely the same way you do when watching anamorphic DVDs.

I'd also like a definitive answer to the 7.1 question before I buy one of these...
If anyone has a PS3 and Resistance: Fall of Man game, they can test it. Make sure in the PS3 audio setup you check all the 7.1 PCM options....
post #743 of 1010 Old 03-08-2007, 12:59 PM

I just bought the TX-SR804 and I love it. I have a Samsung HL-P5063W DLP HDTV. I am using good component cables to connect my Comcast digital cable box to the SR804 and than the SR804 to my DLP HDTV.

Every once in a while I will get a screen flash on the TV when I am watching a non-HDTV broadcast. It almost seems that the SR804 goes off-line or loses the signal just for a half-second. The picture is then restored and back to normal. It did it 5 times last night as I was watching the FOX Soccer channel. This does not occur when I run the TV straight from the cable box. Any suggestions? (Just a side note that the Comcast cable box does not have hdmi outputs).

Thanks.....
post #744 of 1010 Old 03-08-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyplex View Post

I just bought the TX-SR804 and I love it. I have a Samsung HL-P5063W DLP HDTV. I am using good component cables to connect my Comcast digital cable box to the SR804 and than the SR804 to my DLP HDTV.

Every once in a while I will get a screen flash on the TV when I am watching a non-HDTV broadcast. It almost seems that the SR804 goes off-line or loses the signal just for a half-second. The picture is then restored and back to normal. It did it 5 times last night as I was watching the FOX Soccer channel. This does not occur when I run the TV straight from the cable box. Any suggestions? (Just a side note that the Comcast cable box does not have hdmi outputs).

Thanks.....

FWIW, my display will blank out occasionally too, though mine happens only when watching HD. I've got a motorola box. This also happened, with my old sony recvr, and when I had dish network hd. I suspect my problem has more to do with available HD bandwidth from the cable company than the 804. Hard to say why yours only occurs on sd through the 804. Have you tried connecting via S-vid through the 804? I know it's a worse pic, but it might be worth seeing if it does the same thing as component.

And speaking of video connections through the 804, I've got a curiosity. I was playing around earlier today and discovered that if I press the info button on the front panel I get a temporary display on the 804 that tells me the current audio format, dolby 3/2.1 etc. I then discovered that if I hold the info button down for a few seconds it will tell you the current video format and output type such as 1080i/60 -> 1080i/60.

Interesting, I thought, so I switched it to an SD channel and checked again. Sure enough 480i/60 -> 480i/60. Well that confirmed my suspicions. I knew my cable box was only outputting 480i on SD chans, but the SD chans still looked interlaced as they had when I was directly connected to my display. I was under the impression that if I connected and interlaced source to the 804 via composite, s-video, or component it would then be output as progressive via the component out. So shouldn't the display show 480i/60 -> 480p/60 instead of 480i/60 -> 480i/60? Is there somekind of setting I have to switch somewhere to get this?

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

-HarBlar
post #745 of 1010 Old 03-08-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FWIW, my display will blank out occasionally too, though mine happens only when watching HD. I've got a motorola box. This also happened, with my old sony recvr, and when I had dish network hd. I suspect my problem has more to do with available HD bandwidth from the cable company than the 804. Hard to say why yours only occurs on sd through the 804. Have you tried connecting via S-vid through the 804? I know it's a worse pic, but it might be worth seeing if it does the same thing as component.

And speaking of video connections through the 804, I've got a curiosity. I was playing around earlier today and discovered that if I press the info button on the front panel I get a temporary display on the 804 that tells me the current audio format, dolby 3/2.1 etc. I then discovered that if I hold the info button down for a few seconds it will tell you the current video format and output type such as 1080i/60 -> 1080i/60.

Interesting, I thought, so I switched it to an SD channel and checked again. Sure enough 480i/60 -> 480i/60. Well that confirmed my suspicions. I knew my cable box was only outputting 480i on SD chans, but the SD chans still looked interlaced as they had when I was directly connected to my display. I was under the impression that if I connected and interlaced source to the 804 via composite, s-video, or component it would then be output as progressive via the component out. So shouldn't the display show 480i/60 -> 480p/60 instead of 480i/60 -> 480i/60? Is there somekind of setting I have to switch somewhere to get this?

Try changing the 480i override setting on the Motorola box to 480p.
post #746 of 1010 Old 03-08-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Try changing the 480i override setting on the Motorola box to 480p.

And I would do that how, exactly?

I've got the Motorola DCT6412. I've looked at every possible user accessible setting I can find, but nothing dealing with override settings.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

-HarBlar
post #747 of 1010 Old 03-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

7.1 uncompressed pcm over HDMI with 804?????? so many of us are waiting for the answer and i got 2 different ones from Onkyo, sort-of. it looks like 5.1 pcm yes. i think i am leaning more to the Yamaha 1700 as it should do 7.1
post #748 of 1010 Old 03-08-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:

Short & Sweet. I am very happy to report that my newly modified hum free "hopefully" Onkyo TX-SR804 is at this moment homeward bound aboard a Fedex aircraft. Rest assured that an update will be coming your way just as soon as possible.

Louisp

I just purchased an 804 about 2-weeks ago. On the hum issue did Onkyo state that the hum has been occuring within a specific manufacturing date. Is it very noticeable (dumb question I guess). Any settings that you would recommed us to do to check out our units.
post #749 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:

And I would do that how, exactly?

I've got the Motorola DCT6412. I've looked at every possible user accessible setting I can find, but nothing dealing with override settings.

Take a look at this link ...
post #750 of 1010 Old 03-09-2007, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post

7.1 uncompressed pcm over HDMI with 804?????? so many of us are waiting for the answer and i got 2 different ones from Onkyo, sort-of. it looks like 5.1 pcm yes. i think i am leaning more to the Yamaha 1700 as it should do 7.1

I hope the following research information willl help you.
Louisp

----------------------------------------------------------

Exceptional Value
Written by Ali, Memphis, TN on January 17, 2007

I purchased this amp to replace an Onkyo TX-DS787 & M-282 combination 7.1 system. I could not have been more pleased with what I had before, however, I needed HDMI switching and more digital inputs. I got much more with this. It outputs all video inputs via HDMI, so all video sources now go through the amp, and the cable clutter behind the TV is gone! I can't comment about the upconversion capability, because my TV upconverts all input to 1080p anyway. The audio quality is exceptional, especially with uncompressed PCM and lossless DTS from a Blu-Ray source. The speaker impedance is 4/6 Ohm selectable so a speaker system upgrade is in order. The only disappointment is the remote control. It lacks an LCD screen, and when you select a component, the button only stays lit for a few scant seconds, so it's easy to forget what it was last set to that. It also lacks a sufficient number of custom buttons for programming more complex controls. For the price, you could scarcely find something as good or better.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page