Onkyo TX-SR804? - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I noticed that too.. my 804 humm was minimal to begin with.. now that it is about a year old it's gone. I upgraded my mains, to some Klipsch RVX-54's and thought they would make the hum more noticible, but it's completely gone now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf View Post

personally, that's enough to make me happy i never bothered with the 805. i'd rather not own anything that's a fire hazard, even if it is a few out of every thousand.

Stop. Its not a fire hazard. For all we know it was user error that caused the problems -- like crossing wires in the back, etc.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

"Everyones"???

I doubt it. A few people out of thousands maybe had this issue.

I shouldn't have said everyones, but several people here have reported this problem with the 805 and 875. I don't remember any 804's blowing up in the time this thread went on, so it seems like a definite problem to me. Being that I leave the receiver on and leave the room like many people do I can't afford to take the risk of fire. And I would hope Onkyo would recognize this liability and issue a recall.

Bill3508

A wise man once said if it sounds like a broken record there is a motive behind the message.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 AM
rjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Stop. Its not a fire hazard. For all we know it was user error that caused the problems -- like crossing wires in the back, etc.

i can appreciate that you like the 805, but the fact remains it's flawed, like most new generation rcvrs. that's why i'm happy to sick with a hum-less 804 and let onkyo and others get their act together before i waste my money on flawed technology. i'm not paying to be someone's beta-tester. once they work out the kinks, i'll buy something else, but from what i've seen, the 805 isn't there yet.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf View Post

i can appreciate that you like the 805, but the fact remains it's flawed, like most new generation rcvrs. that's why i'm happy to sick with a hum-less 804 and let onkyo and others get their act together before i waste my money on flawed technology. i'm not paying to be someone's beta-tester. once they work out the kinks, i'll buy something else, but from what i've seen, the 805 isn't there yet.

I disagree that it is "flawed". I have owned various models of Onkyos for the past 5 years -- from the 600 series, to the 700 series to the 804 and now on to the 805.

In all of those models, some users reported some issues, as with any product.

I don't see any more issues reported with the 805 -- in fact, likely less, due to the huge popularity of these new models.

I fail to see what you refer to as "flawed technology". On what basis do you state it is "flawed"?

My 805 works beatifully, as intended -- as do most others. As far as I can tell, most people reporting issues are neophyte users who don't know what they are doing -- and those issues turn out to be user error. Most of these "issues" are anecdotal. You have to take them with a grain of salt. If it was "flawed" do you think this stellar review by the well-respected Brian Florian would have been issued (see link):

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-1.html

The review concludes:

"Listening

Bottom line: the Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver sounds as good, I would even say better, than just anything else out there within its price band and can even give some much more expensive pieces a run for their money."

Further, it continues:

"The 805 requires the depth of this report for you to appreciate what an incredible value it represents.

Over the past decade of writing, I've seen my share of products, many of which I write about, others I do not. From that experience I've seen some company's offerings wax, wane, and wax again such that no blanket recommendation can be made. Every piece must be examined by itself. A few names however have distinguished themselves, in my estimation at least, to the point where while I still would like to see something first hand, their products, even the yet unseen become "safe bets" (if you happen to enjoy that whole Vegas scene). Onkyo is one of these special companies.

Consistent has been their presentation to me, and while I always find design elements to, shall we say, comment on, there is a genuine sense of pushing the products forward: each iteration builds on the last. They just keep getting better.

Hats off to those Onkyo engineers half a world away. You've got another winner, so says this critic."
Old 10-09-2007, 01:48 PM

will I get a better picture from my a-30 going str8 to the tv, or will the 804 handle 1080p the same? is the 804 able to pass the 1080 p to the tv?

is the optical vs. hdmi sound concession more important than not passing the hd-dvd player through the receiver????

"Go Blue"
Old 10-10-2007, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey ccarzoo. I have an 804 and cannot get it to pass 1080p to my panny ae1000. The picture just blinks in and out. When I put a blu-ray in, the picture is fine but i lose all audio. I have tried everything. My Toshiba HD-A1 passes 1080i no problem thru the onkyo but I dont think the 804 will do 1080p. Someone please tell me i/m wrong.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgraen View Post

Hey ccarzoo. I have an 804 and cannot get it to pass 1080p to my panny ae1000. The picture just blinks in and out. When I put a blu-ray in, the picture is fine but i lose all audio. I have tried everything. My Toshiba HD-A1 passes 1080i no problem thru the onkyo but I dont think the 804 will do 1080p. Someone please tell me i/m wrong.

I am getting picture and sound fine, but my panasonic won't tell me what format it is playi9ng. The dvd player is saying it is outputting 1080p

"Go Blue"
Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM

I was asking this in the other thread (5.1/7.1 PCM, HDMI, and DSP - An Explanation of the Future-Proof Receiver), but didn't get answer yet so let's try here. According to manual Onkyo TX-SR804 is capable for 5.1 PCM via HDMI, but is it fact that 7.1 is not possible? Can it do processing for the PCM delivered via HDMI (5.1 or 7.1)? If not is the whole feature useless then?

So basically question is can I enjoy TrueHD-sounds with 804 by using PCM?There is incosistent info in the web (some says yes and some not), so I'am hoping that somebody who has tested or knows this for sure can verify the functionality.

I just bought this receiver and start looks promising. I have 14 days to decide am I going to keep it or not so I wan't to be sure what this thing is capable of in the future meaning is it future proof or not? I can't verify this thing by myself, because I don't have suitable player so help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa71 View Post

I was asking this in the other thread (5.1/7.1 PCM, HDMI, and DSP - An Explanation of the Future-Proof Receiver), but didn't get answer yet so let's try here. According to manual Onkyo TX-SR804 is capable for 5.1 PCM via HDMI, but is it fact that 7.1 is not possible? Can it do processing for the PCM delivered via HDMI (5.1 or 7.1)? If not is the whole feature useless then?

So basically question is can I enjoy TrueHD-sounds with 804 by using PCM?There is incosistent info in the web (some says yes and some not), so I'am hoping that somebody who has tested or knows this for sure can verify the functionality.

I just bought this receiver and start looks promising. I have 14 days to decide am I going to keep it or not so I wan't to be sure what this thing is capable of in the future meaning is it future proof or not? I can't verify this thing by myself, because I don't have suitable player so help is appreciated. Thanks!

I can get 5.1 through pcm... Whether it's true hd or not, I can switch my dvd player to output it on my player. There is no processing of 5.1 pcm as far as I know, and I have tried everything.

"Go Blue"
Old 10-11-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarzoo View Post

I can get 5.1 through pcm... Whether it's true hd or not, I can switch my dvd player to output it on my player. There is no processing of 5.1 pcm as far as I know, and I have tried everything.

Thanks for the info. So basically I can have 5.1 PCM via HDMI, but no processing for the sound. What's the sound quality if you listen 5.1 PCM without processing...is it still useful or not?

Now it's getting complicated. After hard searching and bargaining I had two finalists Onkyo TX-SR605 and older model 804 and both were almost the same price. After hard thinking I pulled the trigger few days ago for the 804, because I assumed that it is little bit more heavyweight meaning better in stereo sound quality and on the other hand I thought that I can enjoy HD sounds with it by using 5.1PCM via HDMI (now I know that processing is missing). I was little bit scared about humming thing (read this thread), but they convinced me in the shop that it's not a problem anymore. Compared to the 605 I think this still was right choice for my needs, but now I'm still considering should I stretch the budget and change this for the 705? Like said I got 804 quite cheap (not much more than 605) and I still have possibility (12days) to change it but even for the 705 I would need 160 euros more!! With that money I would then get more futureproof receiver, but is it really worth it? What about built quality between 804 and 705, any differences or are they equal? And finally this humming thing..is it still problem in these latest production series or not? I've tested receiver few days and no haven't noticed it, but I'm still hesitating. I still have 12 days to decide am I going to keep it or not so all comments are appreciated! Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 08:53 AM

I am new to this site but I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I purchased the TX-SR804 in January and I have it hooked up with the Bose Accustice 10 using 7.1 . Everything was working fine until last night I heard a pop and the THX went out and now it only plays the back speakers when I change it to sourround direct.

There is a 1 year warranty but no Service Centers located in Texas.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. So basically I can have 5.1 PCM via HDMI, but no processing for the sound. What's the sound quality if you listen 5.1 PCM without processing...is it still useful or not?

Now it's getting complicated. After hard searching and bargaining I had two finalists Onkyo TX-SR605 and older model 804 and both were almost the same price. After hard thinking I pulled the trigger few days ago for the 804, because I assumed that it is little bit more heavyweight meaning better in stereo sound quality and on the other hand I thought that I can enjoy HD sounds with it by using 5.1PCM via HDMI (now I know that processing is missing). I was little bit scared about humming thing (read this thread), but they convinced me in the shop that it's not a problem anymore. Compared to the 605 I think this still was right choice for my needs, but now I'm still considering should I stretch the budget and change this for the 705? Like said I got 804 quite cheap (not much more than 605) and I still have possibility (12days) to change it but even for the 705 I would need 160 euros more!! With that money I would then get more futureproof receiver, but is it really worth it? What about built quality between 804 and 705, any differences or are they equal? And finally this humming thing..is it still problem in these latest production series or not? I've tested receiver few days and no haven't noticed it, but I'm still hesitating. I still have 12 days to decide am I going to keep it or not so all comments are appreciated! Thanks

you can buy my 5 month old 804 very cheaply. I am looking to upgrade bigtime. I love my 804, but it's time to upgrade already.

"Go Blue"
Old 10-11-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:

You need to check the 705 & 805 threads. I dont think the 705 or 805 will actualy display or decode TrueHD they will. But most players on the market can not output this format. They output LPCM. As for the 804 to add in processing like D Pro logic it can not. The new model 705 805 I am 99% sure you can add processing to LPCM. Big deal who cares. I am happy with 5.1 for this even though I have 7.1. Its only going to matrix the other two.
If I were you I would get the 805. Its the same as 804 with a few improvements. Read these threads allot of questions here are same as this thread.http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=640949

805 thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857502

PSN ID mitzman

Old 12-12-2007, 03:11 PM

Is there any firmware update for the 804e receiver?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:23 PM

how would you load the firmware?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:02 AM

I have a simple 5.1 setup. I could get the TX-SR804 for less than a TX-SR605. I am wondering if I the TX-SR804 is good or if I should just spend more to get TX-SR605?
Thanks,
RabidBunny
PS The TX-SR804 was from CircuitCity with a three year no hassle warrenty.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBunny View Post

I have a simple 5.1 setup. I could get the TX-SR804 for less than a TX-SR605. I am wondering if I the TX-SR804 is good or if I should just spend more to get TX-SR605?
Thanks,
RabidBunny
PS The TX-SR804 was from CircuitCity with a three year no hassle warrenty.

Get either the 705 or the 805. They are better than the 605.

The 804 is yesterday's news.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:24 AM

Hi guys!
Went thru the whole topic and didn't find anything with regards to the DACs that are used in 804? I see here a lot of 804 owners, so does anyone know what DACs are used in this monster?
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-08-2009, 01:13 PM

What is the proper listening mode to use with a Dolby TrueHD BD? Is it multichannel? How is Direct/Pure Audio different from Multichannel?