Surround processor for Bang & Olufsen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-22-2006, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought 4 B&O Beolab 8000 and 2 Beolab 4000 speakers to create a good home theater system. I need some help on selecting a surround processor that would work well with these speakers and built in amps. I am not going for BeoSystem 1 or 3 as they are $7,500 and I don't want to spend that type of money. Can I just buy a regular receiver and use pre-amp outs to connect to these speakers? Which ones would you recommend? Also, any recommendation on an economical stand alone pre-amp/processor - I really don't care much about video processing? As these speakers have amps built in, I am not sure I need to go for a very high quality pre-amp/processor - I just need a unit that can decode dolby, etc. signals and feed all the relevant speakers.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-29-2006, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The problem with b&o is that they put their surround software in their tv's or beosystems
You can connect another system to make surround sound but you will have troubles with adjusting the volume
post #3 of 5 Old 12-29-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Don't most preamp outs go through the volume control? If they didn't how would you be able to hook up an external amp jvd?

AFAIK, any receiver or processor with preouts should work with them.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 5 Old 12-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_secured
I just bought 4 B&O Beolab 8000 and 2 Beolab 4000 speakers to create a good home theater system. I need some help on selecting a surround processor that would work well with these speakers and built in amps. I am not going for BeoSystem 1 or 3 as they are $7,500 and I don't want to spend that type of money. Can I just buy a regular receiver and use pre-amp outs to connect to these speakers? Which ones would you recommend? Also, any recommendation on an economical stand alone pre-amp/processor - I really don't care much about video processing? As these speakers have amps built in, I am not sure I need to go for a very high quality pre-amp/processor - I just need a unit that can decode dolby, etc. signals and feed all the relevant speakers.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thx.
Any pre/pro, or any receiver with pre-amp outputs, will work just fine with these B&O speakers. The speakers accept line level inputs which is just what the pre-amp puts out. Your B&O dealer can get you the right cables. The only trick is setting up the trigger signal to turn on the amp in each speaker. If your pre/pro has a 12 volt trigger output, you can gang wire that to the signal line for each speaker so that they all turn on and off at the right time. You can also get a power-brick that provides that trigger voltage. Plug the brick into a switched outlet and again the speakers will turn on when you need them.

There is absolutely nothing unusual about these speakers that would force you to pick one pre/pro over another. Pick the pre/pro you like.

My personal preference right now is for the Anthem line. If you want video processing as well, the Anthem Statement D2 is the top of the line. I've heard the D2 hooked up to B&O 8000's and they sound very good indeed that way. The Anthem AVM-50 is a less expensive alternative. If you don't want video processing, the lower end models in the AVM line might be nice.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5 of 5 Old 12-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 797
By the way, I think you may have a fundamental misunderstanding of the role of the pre-amp and power-amp in determining audio quality.

The fact that these speakers come with built-in power amps does not in any way diminsh the importance of a quality pre-amp/processor in determining what you hear. You already know the pre/pro will be doing surround decoding for you. It also does the very important job of converting digital audio signals to analog audio signals. And it is manipulating very weak signals that can be easily damaged if the engineering is shoddy.

A pre/pro with a good power supply, good interference isolation, good digital to analog converters and a good surround processing solution will sound noticeably better with your new speakers than one that gives short shrift to any of these.

That doesn't mean you have to pony up the bucks for something exotic. But understand that no matter how good the power amps are inside these speakers, the power amps can't undo damage that has already been done to the audio signal by a poor quality pre/pro.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page