Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV... few questions about it (and my setup) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 242 Old 02-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

Where do you get a 12% coupon for BB?

I am a BB Rewards Member. They send out 10%-12% coupons at various times to members. When I signed up there was a yearly cost to be a member I think it is free now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 242 Old 02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

Where do you get a 12% coupon for BB?

If you have one of their reward zone card things and you spend enough there, they will eventually send you one in the mail.
post #93 of 242 Old 02-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

If you have a Rewards Card but don't have a 12% coupon you can buy them on eBay. Any Reward Card Number is good with any Coupon so one bought off eBay will work even though the Coupon wasn't sent directly to you. Most eBay sales are like $5-$10 for one of these coupons which is worth it if you plan to buy a High Ticket item.
post #94 of 242 Old 02-14-2007, 06:18 PM

This is the response I've received from Pioneer.there is a firmware update available for this unit(VSX-81TXV) It is for HDMI compatibility and DSP (Digital Signal Processor)
I have no idea will it fixed LFE problem?
post #95 of 242 Old 02-15-2007, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergey View Post

This is the response I've received from Pioneer.there is a firmware update available for this unit(VSX-81TXV) It is for HDMI compatibility and DSP (Digital Signal Processor)

Thanks for that info. I wonder if there is a production date which already includes this update on new 81 models.
post #96 of 242 Old 02-15-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:

I just got off the phone with pioneer (after being on hold for 20 mins and talking to 4 different people) and they told me that there isn't a Firmware update for the 81. She told me that the 82 and 84 have one but the 81 DOES NOT. Why is everybody getting so many conflicting answers? WTF!!!!! Im getting frustrated....im so happy with my receiver but i guess im a little nervous about all of this.
post #97 of 242 Old 02-16-2007, 09:16 PM

if you have the 81 txv try this- go to manual speaker setup
select speaker setting put front-large leave the center and surround small
but set subwoofer to plus not yes. then go to bass peak level and lower it to atleast - 25 or lower if you want i have at - 15. see if this works for you it looks like it fixed my issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #98 of 242 Old 02-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

couple quick questions recently got the receiver:

does anyone know how to check the firmware on the 81?

does anyone use the bass peak feature and x curve? if so what are your thoughts on them?

any other thoughts on some of the extras on the receiver?

i am using x-curve but haven't played with the bass peak yet.
post #99 of 242 Old 02-20-2007, 06:19 AM

[quote=adamanteus]couple quick questions recently got the receiver:

does anyone know how to check the firmware on the 81?

To check the firmware have the receiver in standby and press and hold Multi channel in (on the reciever NOT the remote) and then push the power button, hold them for about 3-5 secs. Be ready to write them down because it comes up pretty fast.

Also in case you were wondering too, to change the SW from 0dB/+10dB press the SB processing button and then the power button in the same manner as checking for the firmware.

I also have someting that im looking to get some answers on if anyone can help!!!

Ok, so i know there is talk out there about the 81 TXV having and not having the LFE issue. And i cant seem to find any answers on this. Pio CS says "no" some owers say "no" and some Pio CS says "Yes" and some owners say "Yes" Does anyone know for sure if there is a firmware update and or if the 81txv has an LFE issue?

I checked my firmware and here it is:

M1.000 FO.503
D1.002 H1.003
F1.003 S1.000

Is this Current???

Also, i seem to have plenty of bass when playing DVDs but when i play my PS2 it does sound weak. Would this be because of an LEF problem? I just changed the SW to +10dB and i hope that will make a difference. I have my DVD player hook up with HDMI into the 81 and PS2 hooked up with componets into the receiver and then one HDMI cable into the back of the TV. Very simple and i love not have cables everywhere. I also noticed that the picture was a little dark but i made some adjustment and it looks great!!!

Can anyone Help?!?!?!?!?

-E
post #100 of 242 Old 02-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

thanks. will try to check firmware later.

i think the LFE issue is when using audio on hddvd and bluray discs only. from what i hear there IS a firmware upgrade for the 81 BUT it addresses dark hdmi (or something of that nature) and NOT LFE.
post #101 of 242 Old 02-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

here is my firmware:

M1.000 F0.503
D1.002 H1.003
F1.003 S1.000

same as Martin27th. my receiver is the rebadged elite 81 for overseas= the euro model 2016- same exact receiver just silver with blue lights rather than black and amber and of course for whatever reason named the 2016 instead of 81.

mine has a build date of 12/2006.
post #102 of 242 Old 02-21-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post

thanks. will try to check firmware later.

i think the LFE issue is when using audio on hddvd and bluray discs only. from what i hear there IS a firmware upgrade for the 81 BUT it addresses dark hdmi (or something of that nature) and NOT LFE.

Have you tired to track down where to get this upgrade, or know nebody that has gotten it yet?
post #103 of 242 Old 02-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin27th View Post

Have you tired to track down where to get this upgrade, or know nebody that has gotten it yet?

not even sure if i HAVE the issue yet. didn't realize at first the issue with the LFE was with hddvd audio etc. have no way at this moment to test i do not have a blu ray or hd dvd and have no plans to get one until that dust settles.

i'm sure it has the issue i just have no way to check it. not sure what to do just yet, don't know anyone personally who has a hddvd or ps3...
post #104 of 242 Old 02-21-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:

not even sure if i HAVE the issue yet. didn't realize at first the issue with the LFE was with hddvd audio etc. have no way at this moment to test i do not have a blu ray or hd dvd and have no plans to get one until that dust settles.

i'm sure it has the issue i just have no way to check it. not sure what to do just yet, don't know anyone personally who has a hddvd or ps3...

What about the Dark HDMI....Have you noticed it on yours? If you have what have you done about it? I adjusted the settings on my TV and i think it looks ok. But i notices that the pic was darker when i hooked up the receiver.

I also don't have an HD or a Blu Ray DVD player. Sooooo i guess for now the LFE issue isn't one. I am though going to buy one of the two after we see which one wins the format war and some of the small wrinkles are ironed out so im going to keep digging on this issue and let ya know what if anything i ever find out.

Side note; How do you have your speakers set up? Are you using all 7 speakers? I just hooked up a rear center channel last night. I haven't had time to play with it so im not sure the difference it will make, but was wondering if adding that 7th channel is worth it or not. I did notice that i have a lot more audio options when i hooked up that speaker and that makes me happy!!!
post #105 of 242 Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH54 View Post

If you have a Rewards Card but don't have a 12% coupon you can buy them on eBay. Any Reward Card Number is good with any Coupon so one bought off eBay will work even though the Coupon wasn't sent directly to you. Most eBay sales are like $5-$10 for one of these coupons which is worth it if you plan to buy a High Ticket item.

If you guys are paying only 12% off the sticker on this receiver, then you are paying too much. I had a 12% off coupon, but it was much cheaper to have the salesman try to match online competitors. I paid $750 plus tax for it, got the Elite 2 year warranty, and didn't have to worry about shipping. I used the 12% on other stuff.

It's amazing how much they're work with you, but you have to find the right person with that authority to do it.
post #106 of 242 Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:

What about the Dark HDMI....Have you noticed it on yours? If you have what have you done about it? I adjusted the settings on my TV and i think it looks ok. But i notices that the pic was darker when i hooked up the receiver.

I also don't have an HD or a Blu Ray DVD player. Sooooo i guess for now the LFE issue isn't one. I am though going to buy one of the two after we see which one wins the format war and some of the small wrinkles are ironed out so im going to keep digging on this issue and let ya know what if anything i ever find out.

Side note; How do you have your speakers set up? Are you using all 7 speakers? I just hooked up a rear center channel last night. I haven't had time to play with it so im not sure the difference it will make, but was wondering if adding that 7th channel is worth it or not. I did notice that i have a lot more audio options when i hooked up that speaker and that makes me happy!!!

I have a full 7.1 system, and trust me, the more speakers the better. That's why you bought a 7.1 system, right! Listening to mp3's streamed in 7 channel stereo is incredible.

Getting this receiver forced me to pick up some Klipsch RF-82 mains, RC-62 Center, and RS-52 Surrounds, and wow, when you combine high quality speakers and this receiver, you get amazing results.
post #107 of 242 Old 02-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i have 7.1 speaker set up it is definitely worth it. how much difference vs. 6.1 i'm not sure i went straight from 5.1 with my old POS yamha to 7.1 with the 81. IMO it is great even taking 5.1 and applying PLIIx to simulate the back surounds is much more enveloping with 2 extra speakers.

havent set up the receiver through hdmi yet, my tv only has one HDMI and i have it running straight from the D* hddvr into the tv- so my girlfriend can use it. she would get pissed if she had to turn on the receiver every time. women...

but, i just ordered the oppo 970 dvd player to hold me over till an HD dvd format is settled on. i should get it today or tomorrow then i'm going to switch the D* receiver to straight component to TV and run the oppo through the receiver. we'll see how it looks.
post #108 of 242 Old 02-21-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:

havent set up the receiver through hdmi yet, my tv only has one HDMI and i have it running straight from the D* hddvr into the tv- so my girlfriend can use it. she would get pissed if she had to turn on the receiver every time. women...

but, i just ordered the oppo 970 dvd player to hold me over till an HD dvd format is settled on. i should get it today or tomorrow then i'm going to switch the D* receiver to straight component to TV and run the oppo through the receiver. we'll see how it looks.

Aren't using HDMI through the receiver? Man, you need to take advantage of the 81's ability to transcode all video inputs to HDMI, so the only button your woman has to push is the correct input button on the 81's remote. Also, the 81 can handle digital audio from your hddvr to the receiver, alleviating an extra fiber optic or coax digital audio cable to the receiver.

As for having to turn two things on at once, I "taught" my 81 remote all of my hddvr's commands, and then setup a macro on the remote.

My wife simply pushes the "multi-oper" button and then "hdmi", and the remote turns on the receiver, tv, and hddvr. Then, if my daughter wants to watch Cinderella III, my wife just pushes "DVD" (it's connected via component), and we're ready to go.

It is a little extra work, but it makes things much easier in the long run. Now we never have to pick up the TV remote to change any inputs, the receiver handles all audio and video switching. AND, there is no difference in the video quality - you lose nothing - so there is no reason not to take advantage of this receiver's capabilities.
post #109 of 242 Old 02-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsullivan3 View Post

Aren't using HDMI through the receiver? Man, you need to take advantage of the 81's ability to transcode all video inputs to HDMI, so the only button your woman has to push is the correct input button on the 81's remote. Also, the 81 can handle digital audio from your hddvr to the receiver, alleviating an extra fiber optic or coax digital audio cable to the receiver.

As for having to turn two things on at once, I "taught" my 81 remote all of my hddvr's commands, and then setup a macro on the remote.

My wife simply pushes the "multi-oper" button and then "hdmi", and the remote turns on the receiver, tv, and hddvr. Then, if my daughter wants to watch Cinderella III, my wife just pushes "DVD" (it's connected via component), and we're ready to go.

It is a little extra work, but it makes things much easier in the long run. Now we never have to pick up the TV remote to change any inputs, the receiver handles all audio and video switching. AND, there is no difference in the video quality - you lose nothing - so there is no reason not to take advantage of this receiver's capabilities.

trust me. i'm an ex network tech. i love wiring things up and there is NOTHING i would love to do more than have everything run through the receiver. but when it comes to her using a remote even that is a stretch. it's taken her a year to figure out how to change channels on the dish remote. as soon as my oppop is here it will be running through the receiver and anything else i get after that will too. but, the TV will probably have to remain wired as is for a little while.

i have taught the remote most all the commands. for my personal use- that is. cannot teach it the the directv remote yet for some reason. seems to freeze up when it tries to learn the commands.
post #110 of 242 Old 02-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Does this receive display the on screen guide through HDMI?
post #111 of 242 Old 02-22-2007, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

trust me. i'm an ex network tech. i love wiring things up and there is NOTHING i would love to do more than have everything run through the receiver. but when it comes to her using a remote even that is a stretch. it's taken her a year to figure out how to change channels on the dish remote. as soon as my oppop is here it will be running through the receiver and anything else i get after that will too. but, the TV will probably have to remain wired as is for a little while.

i have taught the remote most all the commands. for my personal use- that is. cannot teach it the the directv remote yet for some reason. seems to freeze up when it tries to learn the commands.

Take a look at a Universal remote. I have used Pronto and now using a Harmony.
My wife and 6 year-old can use it easily. I have the 890 which can use RF so they really don't even have to point the remote, except for the display-for that I use IR.
post #112 of 242 Old 02-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

thanks for the input. that may be an idea down the line. i've just dropped a good chunk over the winter on upgrading to new speakers, speaker stands, 2 onix x-subs, receiver and display. now it is almost spring it's time to start working on restoring my bronco again.
post #113 of 242 Old 02-22-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the input. that may be an idea down the line. i've just dropped a good chunk over the winter on upgrading to new speakers, speaker stands, 2 onix x-subs, receiver and display. now it is almost spring it's time to start working on restoring my bronco again.

Another option could be to use component video/audio (or s-video) directly to the TV and HDMI to the Pioneer (or vice versa).

What do you think of the 81? I'm looking at this as well as the 82, but I hear that the scaler in the 82 isn't that great and my display Pio 5070 has a great scaler. Also considering Denon 2807, but would really like to use Pioneer and take advantage of the SR+ connection.
post #114 of 242 Old 02-23-2007, 05:24 PM

does this receiver have the handshake issues with 1080p on the ps3?

anybody have experience?

anybody heard anything?

Even though the screen name is DanzBorin, my name is Rob...
post #115 of 242 Old 02-23-2007, 08:03 PM

Does the 81 deinterlace? 480i in=480p out. I can't seem to find it in the manual or on the web site.

I was hoping to get a AVR that at least deinterlaced on the video side for my PS2. I bought it OB from BB because I thought I was getting a good deal. Now I can't find wether or not it deinterlaces.
Basically if it does it was a good price but if not then I could get a refurb Denon 2307 for about $260 less.
I would test it out myself but my basement isn't finished yet.
post #116 of 242 Old 02-23-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie16 View Post

Does the 81 deinterlace? 480i in=480p out. I can't seem to find it in the manual or on the web site.

I was hoping to get a AVR that at least deinterlaced on the video side for my PS2. I bought it OB from BB because I thought I was getting a good deal. Now I can't find wether or not it deinterlaces.
Basically if it does it was a good price but if not then I could get a refurb Denon 2307 for about $260 less.
I would test it out myself but my basement isn't finished yet.

no deinterlace. 82 does that.

Your TV will deinterlace as well as a separate piece of equipment, so I say save the money and stick with the 81.
post #117 of 242 Old 02-23-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsullivan3 View Post

no deinterlace. 82 does that.

Your TV will deinterlace as well as a separate piece of equipment, so I say save the money and stick with the 81.

Thanks for the response.
If I want to save money it looks like the 81 would go back to the store and I'd get the Denon 2307/887 for $260 less. I could also get the 2807 for the same price. Man, I just don't know what to do!
post #118 of 242 Old 02-24-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:

New e-mail from Pioneer."We don't have any firmware update for the VSX-81TXV to fix the LFE channel issue".
post #119 of 242 Old 03-11-2007, 03:17 AM

Quick question for all you 81 owners out there. Does the MCACC manual settings on the receiver allow you to set EQ settings for each channel? Also, are there some situations or signals where the receiver will not be able to apply these EQ settings? (ie. accepting LPCM signals through HDMI)

I have some speakers that don't quite match and I am hoping it has individual EQ settings for each speaker so I can try to timbre match them. Particularly my PSB Image 9c center and the newer Image T65 tower spkrs.
post #120 of 242 Old 03-11-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGoD View Post

Quick question for all you 81 owners out there. Does the MCACC manual settings on the receiver allow you to set EQ settings for each channel? Also, are there some situations or signals where the receiver will not be able to apply these EQ settings? (ie. accepting LPCM signals through HDMI)

I have some speakers that don't quite match and I am hoping it has individual EQ settings for each speaker so I can try to timbre match them. Particularly my PSB Image 9c center and the newer Image T65 tower spkrs.

I honestly don't know. I have matching speakers, so I have allowed the auto calibration to have its way. I'll check once my daughter takes a break from cartoons.

In the meantime, here is a link to the VSX-81's site, where you can do a quick register and view the manual in pdf.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page