Going pro... processors with XLR outputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-29-2006, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noticed several AV processors with XLR outs.

I know very little about pro-sound equipment, but the variety of pro rack components interests me a great deal. Crossovers, equalizers, high current amps...

What advantages/disadvantages do you see to going pro... that is XLR out from the processor into pro-sound components?

Also are there any decerning ears out there that can comment on the sound quality of pro-sound components verses consumer?

Thanks for you opinions.

James

"Your love of the halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My DIY Line Array Speakers
My current subwoofer project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-29-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiyake

What advantages/disadvantages do you see to going pro..

Also are there any decerning ears out there that can comment on the sound quality of pro-sound components verses consumer?
I'd say just like anything else you can't generalize. Some pro gear is very good, especially in the mastering chain. Otherwise YMMV. Some of the best audio engineers use audiophile gear in the mastering process - for example Quad electrostatics are often used to master classical music:

http://www.classicalrecording.co.uk/...production.htm

Other times it's definitely mass-market. Some gear like Bryston is definitely cross-over and widely accepted in both uses. In some cases the pro gear guys make models targeted at audiophiles - Benchmark, Lavry etc. Other times it is the other way around - ala Meridian.

I'd say it is worth understanding what pro gear is out there and what the characteristics are. You might find something that fits your needs. And remember - there is no free lunch. If something looks too good to be true, it isn't true.

If I had to make one generalization I'd say that the cosmetics and features on pro gear are not well suited to the living room. Rack ears, bright LEDs, unsubtle lettering, loud fans, etc. are something you will see often.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #3 of 10 Old 09-29-2006, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson
In some cases the pro gear guys make models targeted at audiophiles - Benchmark, Lavry etc.
Dan Lavry has been making products targeted for the professional market far longer than for audiophiles.

Quote:
If I had to make one generalization I'd say that the cosmetics and features on pro gear are not well suited to the living room. Rack ears, bright LEDs, unsubtle lettering, loud fans, etc. are something you will see often.
19" wide components are pretty standard for many "high-end" audiophile components. Hello...McIntosh anyone? If that isn't garish, I don't know what is.

jmiyake - go here for less biased information about pro audio gear:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/

- Steve O.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-29-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch123

jmiyake - go here for less biased information about pro audio gear:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/

- Steve O.
OH NO!!! Why did you send these guys into our safe world? If too many of the audiophille types find us they may turn thier systems upside down when they find out all the cable tweaks they use are useless.

On another note I use Meyer HD1s for my 2ch room. And crest, crown, QSC, Lab Gruppen all make great amps. Stay away from behringer at all costs.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-29-2006, 12:48 PM

Liked: 11
I agree with everything here, Good Proamps do sound fantastic, there drawbacks for home are obviously the more noisy fans. Also I think since until recently most homeaudio processors did not have XLR outputs making them harder to interface with Pro-gear. The possibility for introduing noise into the system was much higher when trying to interface the unblanced outs to the pros balanced if care was not used.

With processors with XLR outs this isnt an issue and really you can put the amps in a closed rack to hid the noise and lights. And the nice thing about Pro-gear is you get more for your money because of the different market economies they cater to.

2000 watts of power and climbing
post #6 of 10 Old 09-29-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch123
Dan Lavry has been making products targeted for the professional market far longer than for audiophiles.

19" wide components are pretty standard for many "high-end" audiophile components. Hello...McIntosh anyone? If that isn't garish, I don't know what is.

- Steve O.
Dan Lavry has been designing for both markets for about the same length of time. His first audio industry employer was OEM'ing his designs to both pro and audiophile companies.

I happen to own his DA10 so I don't think I am particularly biased - but I will note that the DA10 is missing some features like remote control and a dimmer that the home user crowd would come to expect. The funky gain control is another oddity on the DA10. And yes the LEDs are quite bright.

Also I didn't say anything about the width of the components, rather I mentioned the ears. They can really do a lot of damage to the furnishings a home audio user might employ.

As far as the McIntosh stuff, you can turn those meter backlights off. Otherwise they are pretty non-descript.

post #7 of 10 Old 09-29-2006, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb
With processors with XLR outs this isnt an issue and really you can put the amps in a closed rack to hid the noise and lights. And the nice thing about Pro-gear is you get more for your money because of the different market economies they cater to.
Putting amps in a rack is rather problematical because of ventilation issues and the compatibility of pro gear with furniture used in home installations. I also wonder if the economics are really that different. Consumer electronics except for the high end is very cut-throat too. I think a big part of the difference is that home audio gear pays more attention to cosmetics and that is part of what you pay for.

post #8 of 10 Old 09-29-2006, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

jmiyake,

I wouldn't be too worried about pro audio gear. Heat & ventilation issues can be present for other audio gear, too. (Class A operating solid state equipment for example). I once borrowed some Pass Labs amps and they created more heat by themselves than the rest of my setup.

Some amps have removable rack ears, too. You can put a pro audio amp on a an amp stand or component shelf, with some minor adjustments. It's not difficult to add things like sorbothane/rubber feet or a different way to protect the finish of your shelves, too. I happen to stack my amps 3x high, and sandwich cotton shop cloths between the amps for easy sliding and scratch protection. It doesn't hurt the amps...

A good portion of my audio chain for both 2-channel and multi-channel home theater is pro audio. I use an RME sound card in my htpc, a pro audio multichannel preamp for source switching and volume control (EMM labs Switchman), Crown amps, and Hosa interconnect between the pre-amp & amps.

I've had several people over for movies and music listening sessions, and they have enjoyed the overall sound. I have no issues with my pro audio gear and would recommend them to anyone.

- Steve O.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-29-2006, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Man dont let those smarty smarts over at PSAudio.com here you guys say our pro amps are any good. They are under the misguided belief that the pro gear is just not revealing, in spite of the fact that most of the music they listen to was recorded and mixed on the very same pro amps we all use.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-07-2006, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This has been a really useful discussion for me. I have been wanting to bi-amp my line arrays. I may do two Crown XLS 202s for the Tweeters and Midwoofers, and maybe a Crown XLS 602 for the 15" subwoofers I am making.

Any thoughts on these for choices?

For an active crossover many have recommended the using the digital Behringer DCX2496 due to its flexibility, even though it is made by Behringer.

"Your love of the halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My DIY Line Array Speakers
My current subwoofer project
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page