The "Official" Yamaha RX-V659 / HTR-5960 Thread! - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 788 Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the same question as Eastmark.

I have a 659 powering my system. On zone 2 I have 4 pairs of speakers (3 indoors, and 1 outdoors) connected via a speaker selector.

I would like to get more sound outdoors. I currently have a pair of Sonance Mariner 52 on my deck, but my yard extends about 80-100 feet past the deck, so the sound diminishes as you go further back. On windy days, or when the neighbors are blasting their music, it is hard to hear ours.

I was thinking of hooking up an amp to the zone 2 preouts and moving the outdoor speakers from the selector box to the amp. I was looking at the Russound x75. Any comments on this amp, or other suggestions?

I was also looking at adding another pair of speakers at the back of the yard facing in, and connecting them to the Speaker B ports on the amp. Does this sound like a good idea, or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 788 Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 PM

In reading your post, the first thing that comes to mind is simply too many zones to manage with one feed from the Amp.

You should seriously consider integrating the SONOS Wifi system into your AVR to provide easy connectivity, amplification, and complete wifi setup and remote control from any of the rooms you've identfied. The money you'll spend on new Amps will certainly be on a par with the cost of the SONOS system, but never provide the added functionality that SONOS will give you.

Check it out!

Good luck

Play it loud, play it often, and for god's sake...get out of that apartment!!
post #783 of 788 Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkandgroove View Post

In reading your post, the first thing that comes to mind is simply too many zones to manage with one feed from the Amp.

You should seriously consider integrating the SONOS Wifi system into your AVR to provide easy connectivity, amplification, and complete wifi setup and remote control from any of the rooms you've identfied. The money you'll spend on new Amps will certainly be on a par with the cost of the SONOS system, but never provide the added functionality that SONOS will give you.

Check it out!

Good luck

The sound in all the other rooms is fine. We just turn them on occasionally for background music. Since I already have the cabling, I don't see a need to switch to Sonos for the other rooms.

My only concern at this point is improving the sound outdoors. The are many times we spend all day outside, so we have zone 2 (only outside speakers selected) on for several hours. I'm looking for an amp ($200) that can improve the quality of sound outdoors, and take some of the load off my receiver.

In addition to the Russound x75, I have looked at the Onkyo M282 and also just read about the Emotiva mini-X a-100. Since the 659 is rated at 100W, I'm not sure if any of these will do the job.
post #784 of 788 Old 10-24-2012, 04:42 PM

Hi there, new to the forum, am wondering if you can help with a quick question. I need to assign an optical output to the phono input but don't have the remote for the stereo. Any way to access the advance menus without a remote? Or should I look to pick one up if I can find it?

Thanks in advance...
post #785 of 788 Old 08-03-2013, 02:31 PM

I just picked up a rx-v659 to replace my old pioneer, and I really love it. Really drives my speakers and headphones a lot better. With certain music and movies it has pretty damn good bass slam. Tons of audio modes. Feels solid as a tank. Heavy too!
One thing that puzzles me tho...... Is the presence speaker slots, and the a/b front speaker slots....... Can this thing really drive 3 pairs of front speakers, as well as the center, and surrounds? Thaaaaat seems like quite a load on the amp.
Anywhoo I'm really liking it. Now once I have everything set up. I need to find the ypao mic, and snag a dock.... One of the iPhone ones.
post #786 of 788 Old 08-04-2013, 01:12 PM

Hmm, without grabbing my manual, how do you come up with three sets in the front?

Doesn't A/B just give you a second "front" pair (kinda like a hardwired Zone)?

And the presence speaker outputs are either [officially] Zone 2 w/remote access, or the "height/width presence 7.1" setup?

I'm pretty sure you can't get front-channel signals from the Presence outputs...

I skipped the iPod adaptor in favor of DLNA through my PS3/LAN client - my entire WMP & iTunes library (linked, btw) is available to me with much better file sources (read: lossless).

Unfortunately, the "real" way to use iOS devices in a HT environment (IMHO) is AirPlay...and as you know, these amps don't have it.

The good news is that the power/punch/clarity you hear and feel with the 659 all conspires to create a glorius experience when quality files are played loud!!

I STILL LOVE THIS AVR!!!

Play it loud, play it often, and for god's sake...get out of that apartment!!
post #787 of 788 Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 AM

Well the a+b option, then the presence speakers which no are not full front speakers, but they run in time with the front a+b, the center, rear channels and rear surround channels. Or am I just completely off base. Lol
It just seems like to me, a lot of speakers can be run at once. But I'm still learning about it.

Yeah the sound on this AVR is outstanding, and has some amazing juice to drive not only speakers, but also headphones. Tons of inputs, and a dizzying array of sound field options.

I was thinking a Apple TV is the best bet, running optical to the receiver. Instea of the dock. Completely forgot about Apple TV.
post #788 of 788 Old 01-20-2014, 01:36 PM

Hello,

I plugged a device in the optical input (labelled MD), when I switch on zone 2 and select this input I don't get any sound (although zone 2 works great with the radio).

Any idea ?

Thanks G.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page