AVS Forum banner

Owner's thread for Marantz SR4001/5001/7001/8001

414K views 3K replies 482 participants last post by  Spider-Dan 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the new Marantz SR4001/5001/7001/8001?

These are completely redesigned models from their last offerings.

What's your impression?

Does the HDMI connection (video/audio) work well?

How's the sound quality compared to the previous Marantz?

------------------------------------

P.S. For those who are new to these Marantz, here are some key features (hopefully, all information you'd need):

Features of SR4001/SR5001

- HDMI Ver1.1 (2 In/1 Out) (Processing audio over HDMI)

- Dolby Pro Logic IIx

- Circle Surround II

- Dolby Headphone 2

- HDCD decoding

- Bass Management with Variable Crossover Frequency (80,100,120,150,180Hz)

- 7.1 CH Pre Out / 7.1 CH Analog Input

- 7 x 80 Watts (8 Ohm) (SR4001) / 7 x 90 Watts (SR5001)

- High Power Current Feedback Circuitry

- Massive EI-type Transformer

- 192/24 Crystal DAC for all 8 Channels

- Video Off Mode

- Source/Pure Direct Mode

- Set up Menu via Composite, S-Video, and Component

- Video Upconversion up to Component

- Aluminum front panel

- Multi Room Speaker Out

- New shallow chassis (
- XM ready (SR5001 only)

- Lip Sync Delay (SR5001 only)

- Multi Room Audio Pre-out (SR5001 only)

- Dimensions W" x H" x D" (Inches): 17 5/16" x 6 5/16" x 15 1/4"

- Weight (lbs): 25.1 (SR4001) / 27.1 (SR5001)

- MSRP: $549 (SR4001) / $749 (SR5001)

Features of SR7001/SR8001

- HDMI Ver1.2 (4 In/1 Out) (2 Out on SR8001) (Processing audio including SACD over HDMI)

- THX Select 2 Certified (THX Surround EX)

- Dolby Pro Logic IIx

- Circle Surround II

- Dolby Headphone 2

- HDCD decoding

- Audyssey Mult EQ

- Bass Management with Variable Crossover Frequency (60,80,100,120,140,160,180Hz)

- 7.1 CH Pre Out / 7.1 CH Analog Input

- 7 x 110 Watts (8 Ohms) (SR7001) / 7 x 125 Watts (SR8001)

- High Power Current Feedback Circuitry

- Massive EI-type Transformer (SR7001) / Toroidal Transformer (SR8001)

- 192/24 DAC for all 8 Channels

- Video Off Mode

- Source/Pure Direct Mode

- Set up Menu via all Video Output (Composite, S-Video, Component, and HDMI)

- Video Upconversion up to HDMI (480p) (w/ TBC)

- Lip Sync Delay

- XM ready

- Function Rename

- Bi-Amp Drive

- 9 bands x 7ch GEQ

- DSD direct conversion (DSD over HDMI)

- DSD to PCM converter for post-processing

- Two component monitor outputs

- Aluminum front panel

- New shallow chassis (
- Assignable DC Trigger Output

- Multi Room Speaker Out

- Multi Room Audio Pre-out

- Multi Room Video Out (only composite on SR7001)

- Selectable Multi Room Component Video Out (SR8001 only)

- Double Layered Copper Plated Chassis (SR8001 only)

- IR Receiver Input (SR8001 only)

- Emitter Output (SR8001 only)

- Multi Room B output (SR8001 only)

- Dimensions W" x H" x D" (Inches): 17 5/16" x 7 1/4" x 15 5/8"

- Weight (lbs): 33.1 (both SR7001 and SR8001)

- MSRP: $1,399 (SR7001) / $1,999 (SR8001)

See less See more
#1,177 ·
I just got off the phone with main Marnatz service center (Service Wide Technologies). This is where I sent my SR/8001 for repair.

I inquired about any firmware updates for this receiver to make sure they did that while the unit is in the shop. The lady I spoke with put me on hold for about 15 minutes to make inquires to the tech department. She came back and told me that they JUST received a firmware update from the, in her words factory in Japan. It's so new that they have not installed it on any units but will install it on mine as soon as it gets there.

I asked what the firmware addresses, but she did not know. She took my name / number and promised to have the repair tech call me as soon as my receiver hit the bench.

If I find out more, I'll post back. This is promising news though.

#1,183 ·
What we need to compare is the firmware numbers from those people who can apply processing to an LPCM signal (ie: turning a 5.1 PCM signal into 7.1) to the firmware numbers for those people who cannot.........

#1,185 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctomguy /forum/post/0

I have a 7001 and also plan to bi-amp my fronts, but I haven't had time to actually figure it out yet. You're right, the manual is about as clear as mud on this issue but I'm 99% sure that it's possible. If and when I get around to trying it, I'll let you know what I come up with, but it might be a while. Anyone else on the board have any input on this?

I think you can either steal the extra two channels from the 7.1 setup (resulting in 5.1 with the fronts bi-amped) or you can steal the B (or C, for the 8001) zones for the bi-amping. But, like I said, I'm not exactly sure yet.

You are correct. You steal from the surround back (6 and 7 of 7.1) and use it for bi-amping.

#1,187 ·
My versions match Amon exactly but where he has 2U I have 2N,

I doubt the second is a serial number, as mine is identicle to Amon's. Maybe it is a model number. Also for others reading all 3 of us have 8001's if prior posts are accurate.

anajavi, do you happen to have the most current version numbers available to you?

#1,190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere /forum/post/0

What is the benefit to this? I was looking at getting this model.

If you aren't planning on using a 7.1 setup (if you only have 5.1 speakers, for example) then using the two extra amplifiers for the fronts (assuming you have speakers capable of accepting bi-amping) is supposed to provide better sound quality. Alternatively, if you aren't planning on using the B zone, I believe you can use those amplifiers to bi-amp as well, which should preserve the 7.1 in zone A.

#1,191 ·
My firmware details after update:

V060926 1N

MZ 294967295

TI V38609041

HDMI v. h50

Ok tested and guess what still same prob w PS3 - during bootup just the MULTI 5.1 shows and PCM lights up - no indication which speakers are active. Not really concerned about gaming more impt are MOVIES lol.

Minna no Golf 5 demo - its in stereo so PCM and L R channels light up.

BR discs 5.1 - the appropriate channels light up. Have been able to add EX etc. to it since old firmware so no issue in that. But i dun remember the channels lighting up. Need a 6.1PCM disc to test further.

I think it could be a flagging issue sigh...

#1,197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapp! /forum/post/0

Ok tested and guess what still same prob w PS3 - during bootup just the MULTI 5.1 shows and PCM lights up - no indication which speakers are active. Not really concerned about gaming more impt are MOVIES lol.

My speaker lights work okay. Only the first version number is different in my unit.

My version numbers are:

V070122 1N

TI V38609041

HDMI Ver.h50

#1,199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay /forum/post/0

mdrew, could you post your thoughts on how the 661 sounds compared to the Marantz? Thanks.

I don't have a golden ear, so anything I can say to that regards is purely opinion.

In stereo, I can't tell any difference. They both sound great to me. They both have Pure Direct and it sounds very good.

In surround, I have to give the nod to the Marantz but I attribute this to Audysey though. I'm one of the lucky ones in which Audysey room correctly EQ works well.

There are other pro/cons for each and I can not honestly say that one is any better than the other when you take price into consideration. If they were both the same price, I'd say get the Marantz. The Yamaha is 1/3 the cost and it's hard to forget that. But, the Marnatz will drive a more difficult load than the Yamaha better, and louder. The Yamaha will shut itself down if I drive it too hard with my 4 ohm speakers.

One very irritating con I'm dealing with now with the Yamaha is it will not allow me to set a default 7.1 extended surround format (PLIIx). Every time I turn it off it defaults to AUTO. But it recognizes and plays all discrete 6 and 7 channel audio streams, including Uncompressed PCM. The Marantz does not.

The Marantz however has user definable defaults that do not change unless I want to change them. It also had OSD via HDMI, where as the Yamaha does not. A small but irritating trait.many small irritants start to add up though.

If I keep the Yamaha, I'll need another amp (at a cost of at least $1000). The Marantz plays louder than I could ever stand, and it does this well. Figuring that into the equation, the price difference begins to loose its luster.

If Marantz would just get their s*** together and fix the discrete audio problem, it would be hard to beat it when one takes all the pros/cons into consideration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.