Onkyo TX-SR604 opinions (and questions) - if you own it, click here! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 769 Old 06-02-2007, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I keep waffling between this and a Yamaha 661. I can get the 604 for about $100 cheaper being its last years model. Feature wise, both units fully meet my needs.
About the only negative thing I found about the Onkyo is that it runs hot, but then reading about other brands they also seem to run rather warm as well. I read other posts that Yamaha uses better transformers and components over Onkyo.
I am more interested in getting a quality unit (even though its hard at this low price point) that will keep me happy for about 5 years.
So, is the 604 a good solid unit? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 769 Old 06-05-2007, 08:35 AM

While watching Matrix HD with the A2(hdmi) I noticed a constant hissing noise in the backgound. Especially at louder lvls. Should that be there?

I really noticed it in that scene when they put the bug thing in his stomach. It's a quite scene to really noticable.

Ok, even at a pause I get a hissing noticable @70vol and when cranked 85+ it sounds liek a hiss/hum?
post #633 of 769 Old 06-05-2007, 10:29 AM

I'm experiencing the same hiss/hum noise on my 604. I first noticed this while watching The Last Sumurai HD DVD on my Toshiba A2. The sound track on this movie is horrendously low volume. I had to crank the volume up to 65+ to hear the voices clearly (all other movies are loud at 55).

When the volume was up, I could clearly hear the hiss/hum coming from my sub woofer. Upon checking, I could clearly hear the noise from all speakers.

It appears the noise is always there but I don't hear it until I exceed 60 on the volume. It appears like it might be just an HDMI issue but I have to confirm that. I did re-connect my previous receiver (Pioneer VSX 815-k) to check for the same issue. I was using TOSLINK out from the A2 but did not hear the noise at any volume level. Even when cranked to the highest level, there was no hint of hiss/hum.

As much as I like the 604, I may have to return it if I can't correct this noise.
post #634 of 769 Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 AM

Troy, yea it sounds like the same issue. I also found the volume to be weird on this reciever. I felt like I was constantly battling inconsistencies between the dialog volume and the rest of the sound. I'd also be turning it up to the 70's in order to hear dialog, then when music or an action scene would come on have to turn it down(for my wife lol). I don't know, maybe it is just a calibration issue, maybe not. I felt like I tweaked a lot but nothing helped.

The Hissing/Hum on the other hand I highly doubt is a user error which is a shame because is would have been a great reciever. Especially for the price. Saying that I already took mine back and even though I was offered a replacement I hesitantly declined. Reading your post now, I'm sort of glad I did.

I think I may look at the Yamaha 661 and Denon 887(2307?). Which sucks because both are double the cost of the 604
post #635 of 769 Old 06-05-2007, 03:42 PM

Good news! My issue is the analog cable feed into my Tivo. When disconnected, the hum goes away completely. I'm still confused as to why my Pioneer doesn't have issues with the cable feed though.

Anyway, I'm glad it's not the receiver. I really liked it otherwise.
post #636 of 769 Old 06-09-2007, 06:24 PM

Can you elaborate a little bit? The hum was caused by a connection on another input? Or was it an output? Was it only the audio connection that was causing the hum?

I've had the hum for a few months, and thought it was a setup problem. After getting new speakers and recalibrating, the hum diminished, but isn't completely gone yet. If it's as simple as unplugging/replacing some cables, I'd be there in a heart beat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post

Good news! My issue is the analog cable feed into my Tivo. When disconnected, the hum goes away completely. I'm still confused as to why my Pioneer doesn't have issues with the cable feed though.

Anyway, I'm glad it's not the receiver. I really liked it otherwise.

post #637 of 769 Old 06-09-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter View Post

I keep waffling between this and a Yamaha 661. I can get the 604 for about $100 cheaper being its last years model. Feature wise, both units fully meet my needs.
About the only negative thing I found about the Onkyo is that it runs hot, but then reading about other brands they also seem to run rather warm as well. I read other posts that Yamaha uses better transformers and components over Onkyo.
I am more interested in getting a quality unit (even though its hard at this low price point) that will keep me happy for about 5 years.
So, is the 604 a good solid unit? Thanks!

The Onkyo 604 is an excellent unit, and ive never noticed it running hot or even warm...to be honest I loved it. But I ended up giving it to my brother when I realized it can only do 5.1 pcm...I eventually bought a pioneer elite 81 which has the 7.1 pcm...but overall I liked the onkyo unit better.

But if I were you, id consider the Onkyo 605...it can decode the hd formats and is 7.1 pcm! for $500 I think its the best bang for the buck. Maybe when my pioneer kicks the bucket i'll go back to the onkyo.
post #638 of 769 Old 06-10-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokkon View Post

Can you elaborate a little bit? The hum was caused by a connection on another input? Or was it an output? Was it only the audio connection that was causing the hum?

I've had the hum for a few months, and thought it was a setup problem. After getting new speakers and recalibrating, the hum diminished, but isn't completely gone yet. If it's as simple as unplugging/replacing some cables, I'd be there in a heart beat...

In my case, the hum was being caused by the coax cable that is fed from the Cable Company. This cable is connected to my Tivo via coax and the Tivo connects to the Onkyo by Svid and L/R audio. The hum could be heard most prominently when any video connection was being made. To a lesser degree with only audio. However, both video and audio connections caused hum.

If I disconnected the coax from the cable co., the hum would disappear completely. This told me that it wasn't my Tivo or any other device in my setup but truly was the cable feed. I tried to get clever and just have my Tivo (only device connected to the Cable feed) bypass the Onkyo. But that didn't work since the TV was still connected to the Onkyo. Any time the cable feed was anywhere in the loop, I had hum.

I ended up finding this article: Ground Loop Information. The section titled "Transformer isolator using two baluns" has a simple solution involving readily available parts from Radio Shack. In short, I created a circuit using a 75->300 ohm connector connected to a 300->75ohm adapter. My hum was immediately removed.

I have noticed no significant loss of quality on my cable feed. Since it only feeds basic cable to a Tivo anyway, I wouldn't care if it did. The Tivo is for the kids anyway. I wanted to enjoy my HD DVD and Blu Ray movies with my Onkyo which I can now do with no hum.

Good luck with your issue.
post #639 of 769 Old 06-10-2007, 08:32 PM

Wow, I did a test by removing my coax connection from my tv to see if this were the case, and it was exactly the problem. Thanks so much, Troy. I probably NEVER would have figured this one out. I'll be heading out to Radioshack for the permanent fix sometime later this week. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post

In my case, the hum was being caused by the coax cable that is fed from the Cable Company....

post #640 of 769 Old 06-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I need some help with my 604! I have it hooked up to my DVR with HDMI and from the 604 to my tv hdmi and I am getting no sound at all! I connected the DVR straight to the tv and i get perfect sound. The 604 will pass the video to the tv but no audio. I can't even get it to output the test signal to my speakers. What can I/ should I do. I tried resetting it and it didn't matter. One thing I found weird, I cut the receiver on the Tuner and put the tv on an unused video source and I got the radio station music from the tv speakers. Ideas???? I am outside of the return policy and Onkyo doesnt seem to know anything to do.
post #641 of 769 Old 06-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

TVpOOned,

You are not alone. I had this same issue with my new 604 last weekend while 'experimenting' with the HDMI connection from my SA8300HD STB. It sounds like Onkyo is aware of the problem and it's not theirs. I believe this to be true. There have been other reports on the 8300HD thread about the same problem using HDMI and certain STBs. We can only hope that SA is truly working the issue with the cablecos and will resolve it - either with a firmware upgrade/push to the STB, or a STB replacement from your local cableco. At this point, I would contact your cableco and find out what they know and if a new STB is in order.

I have had this problem for months and I dont know what to do! Now I get no sound from my 604. I swear somehow that damn 8300 caused this mess. What is a workaround for this? Just dont use the HDMI? That blows if so.
post #642 of 769 Old 06-16-2007, 01:08 PM

Liked: 11
i just bought the 604 today. i'll hook it up later tonite & watch some DVD's.

"I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am HE, ye shall die in your sins."

John 8:24 (King James Version)

PSN: IR_dgjr
post #643 of 769 Old 06-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

good for you mine is fuct i think my SA 8300 has messed it up. It wont even put out a test signal. I had HDMI running to it from the 8300 and of course the POS 8300 dropped the audio and it seems to have forced the 604 to have no audio! What can I do to fix it???
post #644 of 769 Old 06-17-2007, 05:32 AM

sorry about that dude. i got mine up & running last nite with no problems. i wished that i could help you.

"I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am HE, ye shall die in your sins."

post #645 of 769 Old 06-18-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

I need some help with my 604! I have it hooked up to my DVR with HDMI and from the 604 to my tv hdmi and I am getting no sound at all! I connected the DVR straight to the tv and i get perfect sound. The 604 will pass the video to the tv but no audio. I can't even get it to output the test signal to my speakers. What can I/ should I do. I tried resetting it and it didn't matter. One thing I found weird, I cut the receiver on the Tuner and put the tv on an unused video source and I got the radio station music from the tv speakers. Ideas???? I am outside of the return policy and Onkyo doesnt seem to know anything to do.

I was having the same problem like you with the same connections HDMI from TV to AV, HDMI from Dish VIP622 to AV, HDMI from Toshiba HD DVD Player to AV but what I found out with mine was that If I turn the Plasma Off/on before I turn the AV on/off I would always get audio. Also what I found out just recently is, if I turn the Plasma and receiver on and I would not have audio (because the wife or kids would not turn it off/on the same way I do) I would change the listening mode with the remote(third to the last set of buttons on the remote) until one of them gives me sound (most of the time Theater Dimension) will give me back audio and then you can change it back to whatever listening mode you like. Try this and see if that helps you.
post #646 of 769 Old 06-19-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants View Post

If anybody has a Motorola DCT6412 and has had HDMI handshake issues with this unit and the Onkyo in the past, a new firmware is out that MIGHT fix this issue. I just noticed that my Moto got firmware rev 16.35 this morning, which is supposed to have an HDMI handshake fix. I have my system hooked up via Component, because my DVD player isn't HDMI. I also do not have another HDMI cable to try this with, but if anybody out there had the problem in the past and can try it again, please report back to us.

Well....It took a month after asking the cable co to upgrade the firmware but last night noticed some subtle changes to DVR options and I decided to check. 16.35

I went HDMI from the DCT6412 and from my Phillips DVD player to the 604. HDMI from the 604 to the TV. Made a couple of input changes on the 604. Crossed my fingers...and it all worked! A couple of simple changes to the Harmony remote and I was in business.

I have noticed a few extra "clicks" when I switch between DVD and Video 1. Also a bit of a delay when going from a HD channel to a SD channel. Nothing significant but I know AVS forum users like the details.
post #647 of 769 Old 06-22-2007, 04:19 PM

Hey guys,

I posted this over in the HD DVD area, but thought I'd get some opinions here to.

Question for you guys,

I just picked up an A2 about a week ago and am enjoying it so far. The question I have however is regarding placement of it. Currently, I have no choice but to stack my components. In my new house (move in in 4 months) I will not be forced to do so, but for the time being I am. In your guys opinion, what would be the better choice? Stack my A2 on top of my Onkyo 604, or vice versa? Currently I have the A2 on the Onkyo, but the Onkyo runs quite hot and heats the A2 up alot. I would prefer the setup with the A2 on the bottom, but am worried that the 604 will be to heavy to stack on top of it.

What do you guys think?
post #648 of 769 Old 06-22-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by judge_dredd View Post

Hey guys,

I posted this over in the HD DVD area, but thought I'd get some opinions here to.

Question for you guys,

I just picked up an A2 about a week ago and am enjoying it so far. The question I have however is regarding placement of it. Currently, I have no choice but to stack my components. In my new house (move in in 4 months) I will not be forced to do so, but for the time being I am. In your guys opinion, what would be the better choice? Stack my A2 on top of my Onkyo 604, or vice versa? Currently I have the A2 on the Onkyo, but the Onkyo runs quite hot and heats the A2 up alot. I would prefer the setup with the A2 on the bottom, but am worried that the 604 will be to heavy to stack on top of it.

What do you guys think?

If I had to stack those, the 604 would go on top, definitely. Putting the A2 on top would be asking for the receiver to overheat.
post #649 of 769 Old 06-23-2007, 05:27 PM

Great news Hadoyle! I hope you continue to have no problems. Thanks for the update.
post #650 of 769 Old 06-24-2007, 12:57 AM

Is anyone running this in a large room? How would it handle a 25x15 room with say, 90-92 db sensitive speakers? Anything else I should know about?
post #651 of 769 Old 06-24-2007, 09:33 AM

When I connect my PS2 through composite in Vid2, I get sound but no video to the TV. I checked and double checked connections, even ran the PS2 directly to the TV to make sure that cable wasn't the problem. It wasn't.

Anyone heard of or able to help with this?

Thanks...

***Receiver is a Referb.
Also, when if connecting composite in (Yel, Red, Wht) is it possible to do S-Video, RCA out? Or do you need (S-video, RCA) in, (S-video, RCA) out ?
post #652 of 769 Old 06-24-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenslb57 View Post

Does anyone have the Oppo 970 > Onkyo 604 via HDMI then output to Samsung DLP via HDMI? I have both Directv HR20 (HD DVR) and Oppo 970 and neither will work through the 604 (no picture on the Samsung) but they both work fine when hooked up via HDMI directly to the Samsung.

Right now I am using Direct connection via HDMI to my Sammy and optical audio from each component into the 604. I control all of this pretty easily because I have a Harmony 659 remote. Would you bother sending the 604 back or just keep it? Is optical audio just as good as HDMI audio?

Is this true?? i was about to pick up a 604 on amazon and was hoping to only need three hdmi cables. I have toshiba A-2, directv H20 and a 5054 should i look at different model?
post #653 of 769 Old 07-02-2007, 08:27 AM

I have my Motorola DCT-6416 and Oppo connected to the HDMI inputs and then the HDMI output to my JVC LCoS. When I turn off the moto box and turn it back on the 4:3 override keeps resetting itself to 480p. I set it to 'off' and when I turn the box on it stays 'off'. Then the next time I go to watch it, it's back to 480p. When the moto box went straight to the tv via HDMI this didn't happen. Could the 604 be causing this? I know that HDMI is a two-way connection (handshaking), but it doesn't seem like it would effect the settings of the cable box.
post #654 of 769 Old 07-10-2007, 06:19 PM

How much are these running now? The cheapest I can find is $360 including shipping. Does anyone know where you can get one cheaper? I am not interested in a refurbished model.
post #655 of 769 Old 07-10-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Look around you should be able to find a good deal, maybe on eBay seeing as the 605 is out.

This 604 has suited me just fine considering the 605-705 don't have digital outputs. If I wanted digital output this gen I'd have to purchase a 805, which for me would be overkill. I use the 604's digital output to drive my Pioneer wireless surround headphones.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #656 of 769 Old 07-11-2007, 05:58 AM

Thanks Dave. I'll check ebay. What do you mean by digital outputs? What does the digital output do for you? I thought HDMI was a digital output but I'm a newbee and prob wrong.
post #657 of 769 Old 07-11-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout123 View Post

Thanks Dave. I'll check ebay. What do you mean by digital outputs? What does the digital output do for you? I thought HDMI was a digital output but I'm a newbee and prob wrong.

HDMI is digital output, but I'm talking about the older kind of digital audio output which would just output whatever digital audio was being input into the device. Ususally this jack was popular for minidisc recorders, but for people like me who had outboard amplifiers for a singular purpose (just for driving headphone amp) with digital inputs it comes in handy.

Yes, it has 2 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #658 of 769 Old 07-11-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog View Post

Troy, yea it sounds like the same issue. I also found the volume to be weird on this reciever. I felt like I was constantly battling inconsistencies between the dialog volume and the rest of the sound. I'd also be turning it up to the 70's in order to hear dialog, then when music or an action scene would come on have to turn it down(for my wife lol). I don't know, maybe it is just a calibration issue, maybe not. I felt like I tweaked a lot but nothing helped.

The Hissing/Hum on the other hand I highly doubt is a user error which is a shame because is would have been a great reciever. Especially for the price. Saying that I already took mine back and even though I was offered a replacement I hesitantly declined. Reading your post now, I'm sort of glad I did.

I think I may look at the Yamaha 661 and Denon 887(2307?). Which sucks because both are double the cost of the 604

wow-been struggling with this low dialog problem for 2 weeks now,looks like it might be an issue with this receiver.Maybe ill bring it back and get the 605,was on the fence on that one anyway
post #659 of 769 Old 07-12-2007, 07:19 AM

There is one quirky thing that keeps happening with my 604. I'm using HDMI from my digital DVR box(Comcast/motorola 6412), running through the Onkyo receiver (TX-SR604 referb), then on to the TV. Occasionally when changing cable channels on the motorola DVR, the TV switches to 'Searching for Signal' mode with a black screen. After a few seconds, signal is restored at the new channel. The "HDMI" on the receiver display never blinks on and off (apparently not searching for a signal itself?).

I hooked the STB directly to the tv via HDMI and did not experience this prob.

Onkyo support said this is normal, and that the receiver has to 'process the signal', and there is nothing you can do.

Any ideas on a possible fix for this? Anyone experiencing this themselves?

Thanks
post #660 of 769 Old 07-12-2007, 05:12 PM

it's normal.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page