Onkyo TX-SR604 opinions (and questions) - if you own it, click here! - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 769 Old 05-23-2008, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So this morning - I turned on the Wii first then turned on the receiver(which was already on the right input combination) and got video and audio. So it seems like when I'm switching inputs it doesn't always get the right audio input stream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 769 Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM

After searching through this thread, I still haven't seen a solution to my problem. I'm using HDMI for all connections (cablebox to Onkyo; PS3 to Onkyo; Onkyo to tv). Whenever I'm playing a concert dvd or blu-ray, I get no sound from my rears. The fronts/center work fine but the rears have yet to work. I tried adjusting the PS3 settings with no luck.

Is there an solution to this issue? It does this on both dvds and blu-rays and I'm getting tired of only utilizing 3 of my 5 channels.
post #753 of 769 Old 08-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcobb View Post

After searching through this thread, I still haven't seen a solution to my problem. I'm using HDMI for all connections (cablebox to Onkyo; PS3 to Onkyo; Onkyo to tv). Whenever I'm playing a concert dvd or blu-ray, I get no sound from my rears. The fronts/center work fine but the rears have yet to work. I tried adjusting the PS3 settings with no luck.

Is there an solution to this issue? It does this on both dvds and blu-rays and I'm getting tired of only utilizing 3 of my 5 channels.

I'm guessing you have your box set to 5.1 but have your surround speakers attached to the rear connections, which are only used in 6.1/7.1. Attach the surround speakers to the side connections instead.
post #754 of 769 Old 08-27-2008, 07:39 PM

Ive got a newbie question. I just picked up a new 1080P capable TV, have all of the 1080 capable HDMI cables, and a 604 receiver. When I turn the TV on, it says that it is receiving a signal from the 604, but my TV says "1280x720@60hz". Is there something that I can change on the 604 so that it says that it is 1080p?
post #755 of 769 Old 08-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by six7vdub View Post

Ive got a newbie question. I just picked up a new 1080P capable TV, have all of the 1080 capable HDMI cables, and a 604 receiver. When I turn the TV on, it says that it is receiving a signal from the 604, but my TV says "1280x720@60hz". Is there something that I can change on the 604 so that it says that it is 1080p?

The 604 can't upscale any source to 1080p, so the source has to be 1080p to begin with. It looks like your source is 720p instead of 1080p. The 604 simply passes the same video signal it receives to the TV.
post #756 of 769 Old 10-17-2008, 07:21 PM

Hello everyone. I just discovered this SR604-specific thread, so my apologies to all if my previous postings of my problem were not properly placed. I apologize also for the length of this post, but I tried to be as specific as I could be in hopes that somebody could help.

Here's my setup:

Samsung FP-T5084 50" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-SR604 Receiver
Motorola DCH6200 HD Digital Cable Box (from Charter Communications)
PS3 (used as my Blu-Ray and regular DVD device as well as games)
Home Theater Master MX-600 RF Universal Remote

The PS3 and the Motorola box are connected via the two HDMI inputs on the Onkyo, and the Samsung TV is connected to the Onkyo's single HDMI output.

Here's the problem:

While watching an HD channel in 1080i, everything looks and sounds great. As soon as I turn my TV off and back on again, however, the Motorola box switches from 1080i resolution to 720p. I can then set the Motorola back to 1080i, and it will stay that way until the next time I turn the TV off and back on again. When I do turn the TV on, I can watch the resolution indicator on the front of the Motorola box switch from 1080i to 720p, and it appears to happen during the HDMI handshaking that apparently takes place when the TV attempts to acquire the audio\\video signal from the Onkyo.

Thinking that this was a probably a problem with the Motorola box (DCH6200), I visited my local (St. Louis) Charter office and swapped it for the only other one they offer that has an HDMI output - a DCH3200. The problem remained the same.

Next, I took the Onkyo out of the equation by connecting the new Motorola box directly to the Samsung TV via HDMI. The problem disappeared. I could turn the TV on and off to my heart's content and the resolution setting on the Motorola remained at 1080i. The Onkyo, which I understood to do a straight pass-through of the HDMI signal, apparently doesn't, and it appears to be the source of my problem.

I called Onkyo support for assistance and got none, other than a vague explanation that there are "known problems" between Onkyo receivers and Motorola and Scientific-Atlanta HD boxes. Unfortunately, Charter offers only Motorola boxes here in St. Louis

This isn't a huge problem since I now know that I need to reset my Motorola box to 1080i everytime I turn on my TV, but what I'm really wondering is this:

1. Am I kidding myself that the Onkyo is really passing a 1080i signal to the TV just because I change the Motorola setting back to 1080i after turning on the TV?

2. Is my PS3 (also connected to the Onkyo via HDMI) really displaying
at 1080p when I play a PS3 game or watch a Blu-Ray movie, or is the Onkyo knocking it down to 720p and I just don't recognize it?

Any thoughts anyone has on why the reset from 1080i to 720p is happening or how I might correct the problem short of replacing the Onkyo would be appreciated. I'd also appreciate your opinions on items #1 and #2 above as I'm really aggravated by the thought that my 1080p TV may never see a 1080 signal from my cable box or my PS3 as long as the Onkyo is serving as the middleman. Thank for your replies.

Bon Scott
St. Louis
post #757 of 769 Old 10-17-2008, 08:21 PM

Liked: 27
johnbon,
This may not answer all of your questions but it will accomplish what you are trying to do. Connect your cable box directly to the tv using an hdmi cable and also connect the cable box to the Onkyo using either an optical or digital coaxial cable. The hdmi cable will carry the video to the tv and the optical/digital coaxial will carry the audio to the Onkyo. I have my Scientific Atlanta box set up like this and it works perfectly. Th end result will look and sound identical to the way you have it set up and you will avoid the problems you are having. Oh, as far as I know the Onky 604 will pass thru whatever signal it receives. Have you tried different hdmi cables? It might be just a bad cable. Monoprice has very good quality ones for about $5-15.
post #758 of 769 Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, I'm trying to manually set up the system the way I want it instead of using the automatic method. I was changing the levels of each speaker when I thought about something. I was wondering if the changes are done on a digital level or on analog, like does it apply the changes to a Multichannel PCM stream? (decoded from whatever source you're using) Because if it does, it would make sense to only use negative values, so instead of increasing the volume of one speaker, you decrease the rest. Because if it's processing these changes digitally, any positive changes can result in distortion. I thought I was noticing distortion on at least my subwoofer before, but I wasn't sure if that was due to the level processing or the volume.
post #759 of 769 Old 11-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi - I've been reading the board but still a bit confused and I think this is a quick answer, so here goes.....

Currently using a 604 that I love with regular DVD, coax audio out to the 604 and video via component (I know, what a dinosaur) straight to my DLP TV.

Beginning to evaluate BD players, likely to buy on a good sale between now and Xmas.

I want to make sure I get the proper combination that will allow me to keep my 604 and still hear the highest quality audio (TrueHD I guess??). Would prefer not to spend $$$ to get a 605 or 606 or whatever, unless I need to.

SO, how do I get the best audio thru the 604? Decode at the BP and hook up 5.1 cables to the analog ins on the 604? Have the BP convert to LPCM and send that to the 604? If the latter, can that be sent over the optical connection or do I then have to hook up an HDMI cable between the BP and the 604? I will likely still go video straight from BP to the TV via HDMI and bypass the 604 on video, unless there is some reason to pass video thru the 604.

I obviously want to figure out the *best* option(s) and then determine which BPs have the proper outputs, capabilities to do that.......

Thanks in advance for the help......
post #760 of 769 Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post

Hi - I've been reading the board but still a bit confused and I think this is a quick answer, so here goes.....

Currently using a 604 that I love with regular DVD, coax audio out to the 604 and video via component (I know, what a dinosaur) straight to my DLP TV.

Beginning to evaluate BD players, likely to buy on a good sale between now and Xmas.

I want to make sure I get the proper combination that will allow me to keep my 604 and still hear the highest quality audio (TrueHD I guess??). Would prefer not to spend $$$ to get a 605 or 606 or whatever, unless I need to.

SO, how do I get the best audio thru the 604? Decode at the BP and hook up 5.1 cables to the analog ins on the 604? Have the BP convert to LPCM and send that to the 604? If the latter, can that be sent over the optical connection or do I then have to hook up an HDMI cable between the BP and the 604? I will likely still go video straight from BP to the TV via HDMI and bypass the 604 on video, unless there is some reason to pass video thru the 604.

I obviously want to figure out the *best* option(s) and then determine which BPs have the proper outputs, capabilities to do that.......

Thanks in advance for the help......

The best option would be decoding to Multichannel PCM. That can only be sent over HDMI due to bandwidth. I know the PS3 can decode both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD:MA to Multichannel PCM over HDMI. You would have to pass through the 604 to do this though, because the HDMI cable carries both the video and audio. Personally I like passing through as many things as I can as then I don't need to switch sources on the TV as often (which for me takes a lot longer than simply pressing a number to switch sources)
post #761 of 769 Old 11-04-2008, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks. Is MPCM the same thing as LPCM? 604 can accept MPCM via HDMI I guess?

So basically your view is I need to find a BP or Playstation that decodes and sends out audio via PCM, and I'm fine.

One other item which was a "hot topic" a few years ago when I bought the 604, and I haven't been able to figure out if its been addressed, fixed, or was just an urban legend to begin with........something about players lowering the "LFE" signal when sending out via LPCM, and whether the 604 fixed that or not.

Was that an issue with the then-current HDDVD or BluRay players (and now they work as they are supposed to) or was that some deficiency of the 604????

Thanks again
post #762 of 769 Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post

Thanks. Is MPCM the same thing as LPCM? 604 can accept MPCM via HDMI I guess..

check out the AVR FAQ, very helpful, answers this specific question.

all you need is a player that can decode everything internally and output as PCM....

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #763 of 769 Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 PM

Hogan,
I've got the 604 and just got a Panny BD35 for Bluray. It is prob the BEST BD player out there and is stupid cheap right now on Amazon. Best thing is it decodes the hidef audio and sends it to the 604 as MPCM. I am running 1080p/PCM from the BD35 through my 604 to my LN52A650 and it is awesome!!!

1080P at last!!!
post #764 of 769 Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

I have a question about crossover frequencies. I'm never quite sure what to set these at (I don't trust Audyessy's "Full Range" choice). My speakers can go as low as 65 Hz, but my subwoofer can go as high as 150 Hz. Right now I have it set roughly halfway in between at 100 Hz. Should I set it as low as I can go? (I think 80 Hz is the lowest safe value) The reason I ask is, although the speakers can go as low as 65 Hz, that doesn't technically mean they can accurately produce sound at that frequency. I also think some of those frequencies would sound better on a sub, but I don't know. What do you think would be a good setting?
post #765 of 769 Old 01-11-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbon View Post

Hello everyone. I just discovered this SR604-specific thread, so my apologies to all if my previous postings of my problem were not properly placed. I apologize also for the length of this post, but I tried to be as specific as I could be in hopes that somebody could help.

Here's my setup:

Samsung FP-T5084 50" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-SR604 Receiver
Motorola DCH6200 HD Digital Cable Box (from Charter Communications)
PS3 (used as my Blu-Ray and regular DVD device as well as games)
Home Theater Master MX-600 RF Universal Remote

The PS3 and the Motorola box are connected via the two HDMI inputs on the Onkyo, and the Samsung TV is connected to the Onkyo's single HDMI output.

Here's the problem:

While watching an HD channel in 1080i, everything looks and sounds great. As soon as I turn my TV off and back on again, however, the Motorola box switches from 1080i resolution to 720p. I can then set the Motorola back to 1080i, and it will stay that way until the next time I turn the TV off and back on again. When I do turn the TV on, I can watch the resolution indicator on the front of the Motorola box switch from 1080i to 720p, and it appears to happen during the HDMI handshaking that apparently takes place when the TV attempts to acquire the audio\\video signal from the Onkyo.

Thinking that this was a probably a problem with the Motorola box (DCH6200), I visited my local (St. Louis) Charter office and swapped it for the only other one they offer that has an HDMI output - a DCH3200. The problem remained the same.

Next, I took the Onkyo out of the equation by connecting the new Motorola box directly to the Samsung TV via HDMI. The problem disappeared. I could turn the TV on and off to my heart's content and the resolution setting on the Motorola remained at 1080i. The Onkyo, which I understood to do a straight pass-through of the HDMI signal, apparently doesn't, and it appears to be the source of my problem.

I called Onkyo support for assistance and got none, other than a vague explanation that there are "known problems" between Onkyo receivers and Motorola and Scientific-Atlanta HD boxes. Unfortunately, Charter offers only Motorola boxes here in St. Louis

This isn't a huge problem since I now know that I need to reset my Motorola box to 1080i everytime I turn on my TV, but what I'm really wondering is this:

1. Am I kidding myself that the Onkyo is really passing a 1080i signal to the TV just because I change the Motorola setting back to 1080i after turning on the TV?

2. Is my PS3 (also connected to the Onkyo via HDMI) really displaying
at 1080p when I play a PS3 game or watch a Blu-Ray movie, or is the Onkyo knocking it down to 720p and I just don't recognize it?

Any thoughts anyone has on why the reset from 1080i to 720p is happening or how I might correct the problem short of replacing the Onkyo would be appreciated. I'd also appreciate your opinions on items #1 and #2 above as I'm really aggravated by the thought that my 1080p TV may never see a 1080 signal from my cable box or my PS3 as long as the Onkyo is serving as the middleman. Thank for your replies.

Bon Scott
St. Louis

Having the same issues with my setup samsung plasma, Motorola HD box and Denon AV receiver. Did you ever find a solution?
post #766 of 769 Old 03-04-2009, 08:53 AM

Taken from the Manual .....
"Double Bass
With the Double Bass function, you can boost bass output
by feeding bass sounds from the front left and right
channels to the subwoofer. This function can be set only
if the Subwoofer setting in step 3 is set to Yes, and the
Front setting in step 4 is set to Full Band.
In the speaker setup screen, you can choose how bass
information is distributed to your speakers only if you
have large front left and right speakers AND a subwoofer."

Does anyone know if this removes the bass from the front speakers? I'm worried about running my fronts at full band.
post #767 of 769 Old 03-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediscexchange View Post

Taken from the Manual .....
"Double Bass
With the Double Bass function, you can boost bass output
by feeding bass sounds from the front left and right
channels to the subwoofer. This function can be set only
if the Subwoofer setting in step 3 is set to Yes, and the
Front setting in step 4 is set to Full Band.
In the speaker setup screen, you can choose how bass
information is distributed to your speakers only if you
have large front left and right speakers AND a subwoofer."

Does anyone know if this removes the bass from the front speakers? I'm worried about running my fronts at full band.

I'm guessing it doesn't since it's called double bass. If you want to remove the bass from the front speakers simply change the crossover frequency.
post #768 of 769 Old 03-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post

I'm guessing it doesn't since it's called double bass. If you want to remove the bass from the front speakers simply change the crossover frequency.

Thanks, that's what I thought.
post #769 of 769 Old 03-08-2009, 12:52 PM

Anybody using this A/VR with the JBL LC2 center channel speaker and how do they sound together? Also, anybody notice how little the surround speakers are used during movies with this receiver? I had the Onkyo HT-R540 and upgraded to the SR604 and the surround sound is much different. Both being 7.1 receivers but my older R540 seemed to utilized the surround speakers much more and when I played War of the Worlds where the lighting comes down from the sky, the R540 was far more electrifying. Wondering if my upgrade was not for the best?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page