5.1/7.1 PCM, HDMI, and DSP - An Explaination of the Future-Proof receiver - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1411 of 3041 Old 04-16-2007, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
reincarnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What receivers have two HDMI OUTPUTS?
reincarnate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1412 of 3041 Old 04-18-2007, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
bobloblaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Merrimack, NH
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

What receivers have two HDMI OUTPUTS?

Onkyo is releasing several HDMI 1.3 receivers over the course of the next few months. The TX-NR905 will have 2 HDMI outputs.

More info here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3&page=1&pp=30

BDP-83 EAP (first 50)
bobloblaw is offline  
post #1413 of 3041 Old 04-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Member
 
gdebruyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm looking for a processor or receiver that

1) does the pcm decoding (would love to hear casino royale uncompressed track)
2) obviously has HDMI input and output
3) but also has pre-outs so i can use my external amp

i noticed the new sony's and onkyo's do not have the pre-out.

are there any other receivers/processors that can do that currently? even if they are not HDMI 1.3 compliant?

thanks,
Gareth
gdebruyn is offline  
post #1414 of 3041 Old 04-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Ward216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Onkyo TX-SR805 shows pre outs in the pdf I downloaded.
No mention of an OSD over HDMI however, which was on my short list.

There's room for ALL of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!
Ward216 is offline  
post #1415 of 3041 Old 04-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Member
 
gdebruyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
805 has pre-outs, but when is it available?
gdebruyn is offline  
post #1416 of 3041 Old 04-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Member
 
cameronthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdebruyn View Post

805 has pre-outs, but when is it available?

Speculated shipping date on the Onkyo TX-SR805 is by the end of June.
cameronthorne is offline  
post #1417 of 3041 Old 04-23-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
reincarnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

What receivers have two HDMI OUTPUTS?

Marantz 8001 too. But like most receivers out today there are HDMI compatibility issues. Drop $2K then later be forced to upgrade.
reincarnate is offline  
post #1418 of 3041 Old 04-23-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pottscb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So, it seems like if you buy a high def player that does all of the heavy lifting (audio decoding for new high def audio formats) all you need it a receiver with 5.1 inputs (or better) or HDMI 1.1 and your can get at least uncompressed PCM, correct?

I'm in a pinch, my receiver just went and I'm trying not to make a hasty purchase...thanks for the help.
pottscb is offline  
post #1419 of 3041 Old 04-23-2007, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eddy_winds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Another to add is the Panasonic XR700, which a higher-priced version of the SA-XR57 with full support for 7.1 LPCM, 7.1 processing for 5.1 LPCM signals, and 7.1 output.

Panasonic SA-XR57 (less than $300)
great deal

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.


GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
eddy_winds is offline  
post #1420 of 3041 Old 04-23-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
reincarnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This new design should help:
Vativ Announces Industry's First and Most Advanced Three Input, Dual Output HDMI Receiver Chip for Next Generation Digital TVs
DSP-Based VTV2320 receiver architecture provides industry's highest performance with support up to 40 meters of cable length
SAN DIEGO, Calif., February 27, 2006 - Vativ Technologies, Inc., a world leader in DSP-based wired communications solutions, announced today the industry's highest performance High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) receiver chip for next generation digital TVs. Vativ's VTV2320 chip enables the connection of three independent HDMI inputs to a digital television. Furthermore, the VTV2320 allows any two of the three input sources to be selected for simultaneous or parallel HDMI and HDCP decoding and display.
By allowing three independent inputs the VTV2320 provides customers the ability to connect multiple HDMI sources such as high-definition set-top boxes, DVD players, and gaming consoles to a digital television. In addition, the VTV2320's dual output decoding feature enables manufacturers to offer highly desired HD-PIP (Picture-in-Picture) and HD-split screen features to the consumer. The VTV2320 is the industry's first and only HDMI receiver to provide these benefits.
The VTV2320 HDMI receiver is a timely solution for the next generation of advanced digital televisions , said Brian O'Rourke, senior analyst, In-Stat market research, Vativ's multiple input /multiple output solutions and DSP technology should give it an edge on the competition.
The VTV2320 chip offers superior performance because it is designed with Vativ's innovative DSP technology. By using on-chip digital adaptive equalization, Vativ's receiver can recover signals error-free from HDMI transmit sources up to 40 meters away. Thus, the equalization performance of the VTV2320 exceeds the standard's requirement by 500%.
We are very excited to present the industry's first three input, dual output HDMI receiver device for the next generation of advanced digital televisions, said Sreen Raghavan, President & CEO of Vativ Technologies. HDMI has been rapidly adopted by the consumer electronics industry and this chip will enable our customers to support the greatest number of HD video input sources in a single IC while offering true HD-PIP and HD-split screen features to the consumer. Moreover, Vativ's advanced DSP technology provides a new level of receiver performance and robustness that is unmatched in the industry.
reincarnate is offline  
post #1421 of 3041 Old 04-23-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
reincarnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

So, it seems like if you buy a high def player that does all of the heavy lifting (audio decoding for new high def audio formats) all you need it a receiver with 5.1 inputs (or better) or HDMI 1.1 and your can get at least uncompressed PCM, correct?

I'm in a pinch, my receiver just went and I'm trying not to make a hasty purchase...thanks for the help.

That is the theory. But in practice many receivers have problems with HDMI.
For example 1080i may work but 1080p will not.
reincarnate is offline  
post #1422 of 3041 Old 04-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Senior Member
 
ril850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Oxnard (So Cal)
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I like this post. I have been reading the threads on all the new upcoming receivers with HDMI 1.3, but those still have lot's of questions to be answered. I still love the sound from my Denon 3805 and it has 7.1 analog inputs. I think I can still keep it for awhile and take advantage of the new lossless surround formats. Is this correct as long as the players has the analog outputs correct? I also understand that if I use my toslink, I will have improved DD and DTS sound.

Life is what you make it.......
ril850 is offline  
post #1423 of 3041 Old 04-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
WeApOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the Yamaha RX-V661 considered a level 6 receiver?
WeApOn is offline  
post #1424 of 3041 Old 04-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Member
 
Jon B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What about a Denon 1907 to a Denon 2307CI? The CI gives me the HDMI inputs, where the 1907 doees not. Is the HDMI upgrade worthit for the future?
Jon B. is offline  
post #1425 of 3041 Old 04-25-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sanderdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 2,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ril850 View Post

I like this post. I have been reading the threads on all the new upcoming receivers with HDMI 1.3, but those still have lot's of questions to be answered. I still love the sound from my Denon 3805 and it has 7.1 analog inputs. I think I can still keep it for awhile and take advantage of the new lossless surround formats. Is this correct as long as the players has the analog outputs correct? I also understand that if I use my toslink, I will have improved DD and DTS sound.

I own a PS3 and Denon AVC A11 xva. IF the PS3 will be able to decode DTS-master then I m good to go for the next let s say 10 years.
1.3 HDMI, NO WAY WE NEED THIS!
sanderdvd is offline  
post #1426 of 3041 Old 04-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Member
 
randytsuch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdebruyn View Post

i'm looking for a processor or receiver that

1) does the pcm decoding (would love to hear casino royale uncompressed track)
2) obviously has HDMI input and output
3) but also has pre-outs so i can use my external amp

i noticed the new sony's and onkyo's do not have the pre-out.

are there any other receivers/processors that can do that currently? even if they are not HDMI 1.3 compliant?

thanks,
Gareth

I have similiar requirements, was just making a list of potential recievers to look at.

The Yamaha RX-661 is supposed to do PCM, and has pre outs, as well as the 861 due out next month, and others up the foodchain.

The Denon AVR-887 does it, and I think the more expensive denon's do it too, but they have lots of models, and I did not look at all of them, out of my price range. I also know the denon's handle the LFE adjustment, not sure about the Yamaha's.

The 887 is the cheapest reciever I found that fits the bill, and upconverts HDMI, the 661 does not upconvert.

Randy
randytsuch1 is offline  
post #1427 of 3041 Old 04-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
SGRSBSKIER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cross Lanes, WV
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronthorne View Post

Speculated shipping date on the Onkyo TX-SR805 is by the end of June.


It will be shipping in May.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...nes-254906.php

Does anyone know what level of reciever these various models will fall under? Will they all be level 6 or will they have to add more levels?
SGRSBSKIER is offline  
post #1428 of 3041 Old 04-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Billabongi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

I own a PS3 and Denon AVC A11 xva. IF the PS3 will be able to decode DTS-master then I m good to go for the next let s say 10 years.
1.3 HDMI, NO WAY WE NEED THIS!

Was this a question or a comment? I would love to know if the PS3 can decode DTS master, I am pretty sure it cant, which makes me wait untill HDMI 1.3.

Ill run to the pioneer 82 in a hurry if I am incorrect in that assumption
Billabongi is offline  
post #1429 of 3041 Old 04-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Member
 
ninjitsui1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So Bay Area, CA
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wrote this to Onkyo 674 thread, but seeing if you guys could help.

The other night I popped in Crank on Bluray into the PS3.

I noticed that during movie playback, when pressing select on the PS3 controller, gives you audio format and bit rate. This is what it read:

"Linear PCM 7.1 ch. 48kHz 6.1 Mps"

As far as I knew, I thought the 674 could only accept 5.1 PCM?! I have heard of this prior to trying, but was unsure of the results I was going to get. I'm very surprised that the 674 SEEMED to accept the signal.

Anyone have clarification on this? Does the 674 accept 7.1 PCM? Or perhaps for specific reasons?
ninjitsui1 is offline  
post #1430 of 3041 Old 04-29-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just picked up a Denon 3806 so I can finally be "future proof". Heres the problem...
Im using a Panasonic BD player and sending everything PCM(including standard Dolby and DTS) via HDMI to the receiver. I just noticed about a -10 decibel on the LFE on all audio tracks. If I switch back to bitstream for standard Dolby/DTS the LFE is correctly output. Theres no way to fix this except by boosting the sub but that will also increase bass sent from my speakers set to small. There's also a seperate LFE level on the Denon, but unfortunately can only be decreased...
My question is who's job is it to correctly output the LFE level on a PCM signal???? Receiver or player?
There has been similar reports from other Panny owners, but get contradicted by others who say they have no problem. Anyone?
Thanks!
shamus is offline  
post #1431 of 3041 Old 04-29-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bsoko2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 4,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I have the same problem with my VSX-74TXVi and I get much better output on bass using the 5.1 outs to Multi Channel on the receiver.
bsoko2 is offline  
post #1432 of 3041 Old 04-29-2007, 05:38 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

What receivers have two HDMI OUTPUTS?

You can always get an HDMI 1x2 splitter for around $90. They work very well.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #1433 of 3041 Old 04-29-2007, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bsoko2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 4,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Amazon had a HDMI 1x2 splitter for $19.
bsoko2 is offline  
post #1434 of 3041 Old 04-29-2007, 09:33 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Amazon had a HDMI 1x2 splitter for $19.

With HDCP? Without it passing an HDCP signal it's worthless.

I think I see the one you are talking about. That is a passive splitter and won't work properly with HDCP. It needs to be an active splitter to work properly with HDCP and handle two devices correctly.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #1435 of 3041 Old 04-29-2007, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bsoko2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 4,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Here is a review from a guy that did use the HDMI splitter from Amazon.com:

6 of 7 people found the following review helpful:

Great to split one Source to DTS-HD for Surround & HD video direct to HDTV, January 16, 2007
Reviewer: R. J. Mulligan "Mateshinai" (Covina, CA USA) - See all my reviews

For many others that want to use two sources and feed to one TV or monitor this will not work...
However, if you are in my position you will love it. Let me explain why. I have a full 1080p Sony LCD TV with 3HDMI input. I also have a Harman Kardon 7.1 receiver that has 2 HDMI input. My main Blu-Ray player as for now is my PS3. It will be nice if my receiver did not downgrade the picture quality from 1080p to 720p since it already burned me $1400 just for the receiver alone, but it did. I am not about to purchase a higher end model for another 1,800 too much money already spent.
In order for my picture quality to improve I would just have to send my picture DIRECTLY to the HDTV. But then I need the DTS-HD from the PS3 to split from the HDMI cable as well.
By using this splitter, I can have my PS3 Blu-ray movie send a signal DIRECTLY to my TV and I can also have my PS3 send a DIRECT signal to my Surround receiver. This way, my picture quality will not have to go via my receiver then to the TV. By this method it will receive the signal direct from the source(My PS3) and I will also enjoy the DTS-HD surround sound with a direct signal being sent to my Harman Kardon receiver at the same time. =)

This is a great example for what this splitter is used for. One source (MY PLAYSTATION 3)Blu-Ray player with one HDMI output. TWO RECEIVING UNITS (My Surround Receiver) and my HDTV (LCD TV) This way I can have a true 1080p picture quality and at the same time have a DTS-HD surround as well that both connects via HDMI cable.

Hope this helps!
bsoko2 is offline  
post #1436 of 3041 Old 04-30-2007, 04:11 AM
Member
 
kabraal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
under what level would you classify a harmon kardon avr 645
kabraal is offline  
post #1437 of 3041 Old 04-30-2007, 05:28 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Here is a review from a guy that did use the HDMI splitter from Amazon.com:

6 of 7 people found the following review helpful:

Great to split one Source to DTS-HD for Surround & HD video direct to HDTV, January 16, 2007
Reviewer: R. J. Mulligan "Mateshinai" (Covina, CA USA) - See all my reviews

For many others that want to use two sources and feed to one TV or monitor this will not work...
However, if you are in my position you will love it. Let me explain why. I have a full 1080p Sony LCD TV with 3HDMI input. I also have a Harman Kardon 7.1 receiver that has 2 HDMI input. My main Blu-Ray player as for now is my PS3. It will be nice if my receiver did not downgrade the picture quality from 1080p to 720p since it already burned me $1400 just for the receiver alone, but it did. I am not about to purchase a higher end model for another 1,800 too much money already spent.
In order for my picture quality to improve I would just have to send my picture DIRECTLY to the HDTV. But then I need the DTS-HD from the PS3 to split from the HDMI cable as well.
By using this splitter, I can have my PS3 Blu-ray movie send a signal DIRECTLY to my TV and I can also have my PS3 send a DIRECT signal to my Surround receiver. This way, my picture quality will not have to go via my receiver then to the TV. By this method it will receive the signal direct from the source(My PS3) and I will also enjoy the DTS-HD surround sound with a direct signal being sent to my Harman Kardon receiver at the same time. =)

This is a great example for what this splitter is used for. One source (MY PLAYSTATION 3)Blu-Ray player with one HDMI output. TWO RECEIVING UNITS (My Surround Receiver) and my HDTV (LCD TV) This way I can have a true 1080p picture quality and at the same time have a DTS-HD surround as well that both connects via HDMI cable.

Hope this helps!

I guess it depends on your components. In my situation it wouldn't work becasue of HDCP but I am also using three active splitters in my setup, The passive one wouldn't work for me.
Once I added the active splitters I was fine. I am using 3 1x2 splitters and one 3x1 switch in my setup.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #1438 of 3041 Old 04-30-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bsoko2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 4,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I use the HDMI cable from ny HD DVD player (AX2) to my receiver for sound and also have the 5.1 multichannel setup. For video I use the 3 cable composite (1080i). I find that get better bass with the 5.1 than with the HDMI. Why? I really don't know.

Bill
bsoko2 is offline  
post #1439 of 3041 Old 05-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Member
 
quenthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arctic Circle, Finland
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

I use the HDMI cable from ny HD DVD player (AX2) to my receiver for sound and also have the 5.1 multichannel setup. For video I use the 3 cable composite (1080i). I find that get better bass with the 5.1 than with the HDMI. Why? I really don't know.

Bill

Your AV receiver probably can't process multichannel PCM and your LFE is 10dB quieter than it should.

Does anyone know if there upcoming HDMI 1.3 (especially Onkyo 805->) receivers have also the ability to process multichannel PCM fully (with process i mean all the effects, LFE and bass management, plxii and eq)?

I have my subwoofer connected thru high level, so I need LFE to mains, and not many current receivers handle that when using multichannel PCM via HDMI.
quenthal is offline  
post #1440 of 3041 Old 05-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Member
 
pinkycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdebruyn View Post

i'm looking for a processor or receiver that

1) does the pcm decoding (would love to hear casino royale uncompressed track)
2) obviously has HDMI input and output
3) but also has pre-outs so i can use my external amp

i noticed the new sony's and onkyo's do not have the pre-out.

are there any other receivers/processors that can do that currently? even if they are not HDMI 1.3 compliant?

thanks,
Gareth

I have the new Sony str-da5200es, which I use as a preamp (7.1 analogue inputs and pre-outs.) It meets all of your requirements, has a super-slick GUI, pristine sound quality, at least as a pre-amp (I've never used the built-in amps and can't comment there.) Has built-in video upscaling up to 1080p. It also comes with a stereo mic used to automatically calibrate your speaker setup (based on speaker size, distance, frequency response, and volume output.) I was a skeptic before I tried it, having used the Sony TA-E9000es preamp for the past eight years. The sound quality is of the new unit is better, and it was less expensive. Highly recommended.
pinkycat is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off