Originally Posted by Lindahl
Outdated information. I don't keep close watch on all the receiver threads, and just dip my toes in, now and then. I rely on people like you to keep my first post up to date. The manuals for SR7001/8001 say they support it [apply DPLIIX processing to turn a 5.1 LPCM signal into a 7.1 for those with all 8 speakers], hence they were listed as a level 5, originally. I've now fixed that. Thanks.
I've also added a caution that warns about the accuracy of the example listings.
As an owner of an earlier and lesser Marantz receiver (5500), I am unhappy to see that the 7001 and 8001 in "my brand" have been chastised and demoted to Level 4. In particular, this change does not fully represent the experience of 7001 / 8001 owners as reported on other AVS threads.
My best effort to summarize the current status of the Marantz 7001 / 8001 follows:
(1) Marantz 7001 / 8001 do support "DPLIIX processing to turn a 5.1 LPCM signal into a 7.1", and also two other processing modes with similar capability, Dolby EX (which provides "mono rear surround"), and THX Select 2 Cinema.
(2) Some of the early "builds" of the 7001 / 8001 lack DPLIIX (5.1->7.1) capability, but this bug was fixed by a firmware update released in January or February 2007.
(3) Marantz has not publicized the firmware update effectively, and some owners of the buggy builds have experienced delays in obtaining it.
See for example:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...x#post10251170
Shagman wrote on 04/09/2007:
OK guys, after a lot of research, and a blind leap of faith regarding PLIIx over PCM and 7.1 PCM, I purchased a SR7001.
This unit was not in stock at AV Science and was on backorder for several weeks... hmm... sounds like a mid-product-life update.
I got it in, and have been nothing but happy with it (some HTPC DVI-HDMI issues, but who knows where the problem lays there). Here's what I have personally tested:
1) HDMI connectivity for Toshiba HD-A1, Sony PS3, and DVI-HDMI from my HTPC.
2) 7.1 channel activity on Sony PS3 (played Resistance and did a pan in the area of directional sound, a helicopter hovering, verified sound from rear surrounds)
3) Dolby PLIIx Movie matrixing over high-bandwidth True HD from the HD-A1 (Watched V for Vendetta and got good sound on rear surrounds during back alley fight)
mdrew wrote on 3/8/2007:
Make sure you are in M-Channel mode. At this point the little PCM box should be lit. You will be in 5.1. There will be NO little speaker icons in the "box". Don't worry, this is some sort of bug.
Then you just hit the surround mode button untill PLIIx shows. The display will have a +PLIIx after the M-channel. You can then select THX and you'll get a M-channel+PLIIx+THX.
Or, after you are in Multi Channel mode, select either THX-EX or THX2 and your display will show M-channel+THX.
In either mode, you will get matrixed 7.1 channel LPCM. It rocks too!
DTS is not selectable. The "uncompatable" display will come up.
DeezMFNutz wrote on 2/4/2007:
My 8001 is working great in every way except 7.1 LPCM. My HDMI cables are fine (monoprice). I can apply post processing to 5.1 PCM streams including PLIIx, DDEX, and THX.
However, with the 7.1 LPCM stream from my PS3 I can NOT apply PLIIx, DD EX, or THX2. The only post processing I can apply is "THX Cinema". Again, I am not sure how you are able to apply "THX2", I can't. Anyways, I doubt my 8001 is a lemon I think it is fuctioning as expected (e.g. no 7.1 LPCM support).