5.1/7.1 PCM, HDMI, and DSP - An Explaination of the Future-Proof receiver - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 3041 Old 06-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With regards to SD DVD audio vs HD audio....how are they different on a 5.1 System? With HD Audio (whether Blu Ray discs or HD DVDs), do the surrounds sound better or what? Is it a fuller sound, or more sound effects?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 3041 Old 06-03-2007, 10:33 PM

i currently have a Samsung HTIB right now and i am looking to upgrade. Right now the Sammy is connected to my ps3 via optical and my ps3 is then connected via hdmi to my hdtv for video purposes.
I am looking to upgrade to a receiver that accepts 1080p audio and video in/out because i basically want to run hdmi cord from my ps3 to a receiver then from the receiver to the hdtv i have. Problem is im not great at finding the right price/product for me. can anyone recommended a reciever and speakers that would be great..

looking to spend under $1000 if possible..
post #1533 of 3041 Old 06-03-2007, 11:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jockss2 View Post

i currently have a Samsung HTIB right now and i am looking to upgrade. Right now the Sammy is connected to my ps3 via optical and my ps3 is then connected via hdmi to my hdtv for video purposes.
I am looking to upgrade to a receiver that accepts 1080p audio and video in/out because i basically want to run hdmi cord from my ps3 to a receiver then from the receiver to the hdtv i have. Problem is im not great at finding the right price/product for me. can anyone recommended a reciever and speakers that would be great..

what size is your tv? if it's 42" or below 720p is fine.

"I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am HE, ye shall die in your sins."

John 8:24 (King James Version)

PSN: IR_dgjr
post #1534 of 3041 Old 06-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgjr View Post

what size is your tv? if it's 42" or below 720p is fine.

i think you are confused... i am looking for a receiver and speaker system not a tv... i already have a 1080p tv that is 46"
post #1535 of 3041 Old 06-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

The STR-DG1000 can handle 7.1PCM, but not use PL IIx or any other DSP modes on 5.1/7.1 PCM

It does allow the full LFE level on HDMI, but have not tested 7.1ch IN

~Bobby
post #1536 of 3041 Old 06-04-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the other components in your system? I have heard of a PS3 and a that's it. Given that your just looking to support your ps3, I would say 99% of all the receivers out there would qualify, so more data as to what your using it for would be helpful.

Also, I would go into various audio/video stores to listen to the various namebrands as each do sound differently and you should choose what sounds best to you, that will always ensure a much better buying experience.

That said, I would recommend building up by buying a receiver, a center channel and two front speakers to start with and slowly build up over time than most HTIB setups like the Samsung. You can even keep parts of the Samsung in your new setup as you slowly upgrade.

Hope that helps!

-Splints
post #1537 of 3041 Old 06-05-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

What Level is Yamaha HTR 6060B?
I got this receiver last week and so far I've been really pleased with the sound quality and it works flawlessly with PS3.
any known issues about this receiver?
It also says that it incorporates HDMI 1.2a. does that mean it can receive DSD over HDMI for SACD playback?
does it do a proper job of handling LFE?

A Home Theater Enthusiast!
post #1538 of 3041 Old 06-05-2007, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakashizuma View Post

It also says that it incorporates HDMI 1.2a. does that mean it can receive DSD over HDMI for SACD playback?

is there a player that will output DSD over HDMI? can the Yamaha decode DSD?

theoretically it should - but as the discussion in the hdmi1.3 thread mentions, a capability/functionality need not necessarily be implemented

Boo!
post #1539 of 3041 Old 06-05-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

What's the other components in your system? I have heard of a PS3 and a that's it. Given that your just looking to support your ps3, I would say 99% of all the receivers out there would qualify, so more data as to what your using it for would be helpful.

Also, I would go into various audio/video stores to listen to the various namebrands as each do sound differently and you should choose what sounds best to you, that will always ensure a much better buying experience.

That said, I would recommend building up by buying a receiver, a center channel and two front speakers to start with and slowly build up over time than most HTIB setups like the Samsung. You can even keep parts of the Samsung in your new setup as you slowly upgrade.

Hope that helps!

-Splints

right now i just would connect the ps3 to the receiver but i am getting HD cable very soon too. So basically i want to run the ps3 and hd cable box through the receiver then to the TV with fully uncompressed sound when im watching cable and playing my ps3
post #1540 of 3041 Old 06-06-2007, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

right now i just would connect the ps3 to the receiver but i am getting HD cable very soon too. So basically i want to run the ps3 and hd cable box through the receiver then to the TV with fully uncompressed sound when im watching cable and playing my ps3

To have "uncompressed" sound what ever you are watching has to have been encoded with lossless or uncompressed sound.

No TV/Satellite/Cable shows are encoded with lossless sound at this point in time.

Very few of the HD-DVD's or Blu-Ray DVD's are currently encoded with lossless sound. Those that do have it mentioned on the back cover.... ie: Dolby TrueHD.

So you need more than just a receiver that can decode the sounds... you first have to have sources that have uncompressed or lossless audio.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #1541 of 3041 Old 06-06-2007, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

To have "uncompressed" sound what ever you are watching has to have been encoded with lossless or uncompressed sound.

No TV/Satellite/Cable shows are encoded with lossless sound at this point in time.

Very few of the HD-DVD's or Blu-Ray DVD's are currently encoded with lossless sound. Those that do have it mentioned on the back cover.... ie: Dolby TrueHD.

So you need more than just a receiver that can decode the sounds... you first have to have sources that have uncompressed or lossless audio.

I believe that most of the Blu-ray/HD DVD movies have either a PCM or True Hd track, at least from what I have seen.
post #1542 of 3041 Old 06-06-2007, 05:49 AM

Stupid question: Is TrueHD always 7.1 or can it be 5.1?

- Ahsan
post #1543 of 3041 Old 06-06-2007, 06:35 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsan View Post

Stupid question: Is TrueHD always 7.1 or can it be 5.1?

Google is your friend.

Dolby TrueHD can be 24-channels. It is whatever the content/source uses. Currently, BD/HD-DVD is limited to 8-channels, i.e. 7.1.
post #1544 of 3041 Old 06-06-2007, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

is there a player that will output DSD over HDMI? can the Yamaha decode DSD?

theoretically it should - but as the discussion in the hdmi1.3 thread mentions, a capability/functionality need not necessarily be implemented

The 661 manual specifically mentions that it'll accept a 5.1 DSD input. Your question above stands, though...what'll send raw DSD over HDMI? I'm sure it gets converted to PCM once it hits the receiver, anyway, so I don't really think it's an issue having something like an Oppo convert to 24/88 anyway.
Conversely, my Denon 2900 maintains a DSD chain all the way to the DACs/5.1 analog outs. Big deal? I don't think so.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #1545 of 3041 Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

me either, but there are people who think it is a big deal. this despite Sony themselves implementing DSD->PCM for output from the PS3 - I guess knowing its being converted psychologically affects their listening

Boo!
post #1546 of 3041 Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

me either, but there are people who think it is a big deal. this despite Sony themselves implementing DSD->PCM for output from the PS3 - I guess knowing its being converted psychologically affects their listening

post #1547 of 3041 Old 06-06-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

ok well then for my ps3 i would like it to be uncompressed. i need a receiver adn speaker set that can handle the 1080p audio and video of the ps3
post #1548 of 3041 Old 06-06-2007, 04:14 PM

I know many people ask for help, so here I am.
I have read many threads, but I just came up on this one. I had made up my mind on the Onkyo 605 but I am also now interested in the YAM 661. This thread seems not to favor the Onkyo's, but I just wanted to see which receiver would be better in the long run. I have 5.1 no BR/HD DVD right now.
All of the sound processing and layering is still confusing to this newguy.
Thank you.
post #1549 of 3041 Old 06-06-2007, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Thanks to this thread, and the many contributors, I felt very confident with my purchase of the Denon 2807 AVR. While not near 'top of the line", it is certainly an excellent AVR, for me. I've been enjoying it for several months now, and truly enjoy the sound, and features.

Well... I just made my leap in to HD-DVD. Taking advantage of the price drop on the Toshiba A2, I'm now officially all the way "HD".

Which brings me to the questions... what would be the best audio connection from the A2 to the 2807 - HDMI or OPT? And, after making that connection, what are the best settings to get the best audio?

The 2807 being a level 6 AVR should be able to do do the decoding, I expect. Since the A2 has no analog outputs, is there really a difference between HDMI and OPT? Am I getting the same audio quality from either?

Thanks!!!!

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #1550 of 3041 Old 06-06-2007, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 84
Answered in the first post and many times over in this thread.
post #1551 of 3041 Old 06-06-2007, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Answered in the first post and many times over in this thread.

Gee... thank you. Hope I can be of some help to you in the future.

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #1552 of 3041 Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy416 View Post

I know many people ask for help, so here I am.
I have read many threads, but I just came up on this one. I had made up my mind on the Onkyo 605 but I am also now interested in the YAM 661. This thread seems not to favor the Onkyo's, but I just wanted to see which receiver would be better in the long run. I have 5.1 no BR/HD DVD right now.
All of the sound processing and layering is still confusing to this newguy.
Thank you.

Hmm, if you have a 5.1 setup and no advanced audio source, what type of future proofing are you looking for? The 605 is probably level 5 and the 661 is a level 6. But I'm not sure why it matters if you are looking to keep your 5.1 setup.

-Splints
post #1553 of 3041 Old 06-07-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

Thanks to this thread, and the many contributors, I felt very confident with my purchase of the Denon 2807 AVR. While not near 'top of the line", it is certainly an excellent AVR, for me. I've been enjoying it for several months now, and truly enjoy the sound, and features.

Well... I just made my leap in to HD-DVD. Taking advantage of the price drop on the Toshiba A2, I'm now officially all the way "HD".

Which brings me to the questions... what would be the best audio connection from the A2 to the 2807 - HDMI or OPT? And, after making that connection, what are the best settings to get the best audio?

The 2807 being a level 6 AVR should be able to do do the decoding, I expect. Since the A2 has no analog outputs, is there really a difference between HDMI and OPT? Am I getting the same audio quality from either?

Thanks!!!!

If you want to experience lossless audio from your A2, then you should use HDMI, you won't regret it.
post #1554 of 3041 Old 06-07-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

If you want to experience lossless audio from your A2, then you should use HDMI, you won't regret it.

Thanks Kevin... I was leaning that way.

I spent about 4 hours last night, reading this thread (again). While originally, I read only the first few pages back when I was AVR shopping. I thought I had a good understanding about the AVR concepts. Then, when I just took the leap to grab the A2, I thought I understood the concepts. Well, I became confused, enlightened, confused, enlightened... over and over by reading this thread

What I also learned, was that I was not alone. While simple in concept, it is very complicated when it comes down to practical application. I'm still not sure I completely understand. I'm not the dimmest bulb in the box, but... Holy Sh*t!!!

I'm also wondering, if with level 6 AVR's, there would be any REAL AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE between the myriad of possible output -> input combinations. Other than the obvious, downmix PCM.

It seems my choice of the 2807 (pre-HD-DVD acquisition) was a reasonably good one Since the A2 will send HD audio over to that in lossless format. I guess right now, that is the best I can do.

-steve
post #1555 of 3041 Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Thanks Kevin... I was leaning that way.

I spent about 4 hours last night, reading this thread (again). While originally, I read only the first few pages back when I was AVR shopping. I thought I had a good understanding about the AVR concepts. Then, when I just took the leap to grab the A2, I thought I understood the concepts. Well, I became confused, enlightened, confused, enlightened... over and over by reading this thread

What I also learned, was that I was not alone. While simple in concept, it is very complicated when it comes down to practical application. I'm still not sure I completely understand. I'm not the dimmest bulb in the box, but... Holy Sh*t!!!

I'm also wondering, if with level 6 AVR's, there would be any REAL AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE between the myriad of possible output -> input combinations. Other than the obvious, downmix PCM.

It seems my choice of the 2807 (pre-HD-DVD acquisition) was a reasonably good one Since the A2 will send HD audio over to that in lossless format. I guess right now, that is the best I can do.

Steve, no HD-DVDs have LPCM tracks, the only lossless audio tracks that exist are Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA (DTS-MA) and there is still no way to decode DTS-MA yet. In any situation, the 2807 will not be doing any decoding because it can't decode TrueHD or DTS HD/MA. Luckily all HD-DVD players can decode TrueHD and can/will send the decoded stream to the 2807.

I am also an owner of the 2807 and HD-A2 and can tell you ENJOY!
post #1556 of 3041 Old 06-07-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycho316 View Post

Steve, no HD-DVDs have LPCM tracks, the only lossless audio tracks that exist are Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA (DTS-MA) and there is still no way to decode DTS-MA yet. In any situation, the 2807 will not be doing any decoding because it can't decode TrueHD or DTS HD/MA. Luckily all HD-DVD players can decode TrueHD and can/will send the decoded stream to the 2807.

I am also an owner of the 2807 and HD-A2 and can tell you ENJOY!

Aha!!!! Finally, I got it. I guess for some reason (stupidity???) I was hung up on the LPCM thing.

OK - well, my brain hurts now. But, at least I think I finally understand.

The 2807 processes the stream, and plays the audio.

No idea why I was under the impression that decoding took place in the 2807. Perhaps it was me trying to process 50+ pages of posts in 4 hours, late at night.

-steve
post #1557 of 3041 Old 06-07-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Aha!!!! Finally, I got it. I guess for some reason (stupidity???) I was hung up on the LPCM thing.

OK - well, my brain hurts now. But, at least I think I finally understand.

The 2807 processes the stream, and plays the audio.

No idea why I was under the impression that decoding took place in the 2807. Perhaps it was me trying to process 50+ pages of posts in 4 hours, late at night.

It is all very confusing indeed, took me quite a while to understand all of the terms and figure out which were marketing terms and which were actual technical terms.

edit: I should clarify that no domestic US released HD-DVD has a PCM track on it, only TrueHD for lossless audio. There are a few European releases that use DTS-MA.
post #1558 of 3041 Old 06-07-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:

i think you are confused... i am looking for a receiver and speaker system not a tv... i already have a 1080p tv that is 46"

not really. if your t.v. IS is 42" or below 720p is fine.

"I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am HE, ye shall die in your sins."

John 8:24 (King James Version)

PSN: IR_dgjr
post #1559 of 3041 Old 06-08-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgjr View Post

not really. if your t.v. IS is 42" or below 720p is fine.

i dont want a receiver that has 720p i want a receiver that is 1080p, i appreciate your help but what don't you understand? please if you arent going to help me please dont reply, i dont want alternatives, i know what i want and my tv is 1080p
post #1560 of 3041 Old 06-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

i dont want a receiver that has 720p i want a receiver that is 1080p, i appreciate your help but what don't you understand? please if you arent going to help me please dont reply, i dont want alternatives, i know what i want and my tv is 1080p

maybe i missed something, too. displays are "720p" or 1080i/p" - not receivers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page