Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1410 Old 10-29-2006, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb007 View Post

I believe that's personal preference. Try each and see if any one sounds better to you than the others.

I understand that, i was just inquiring to see which one people prefer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1410 Old 10-29-2006, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakGeek View Post

I understand that, i was just inquiring to see which one people prefer.

I suspect in addition to people's differing tastes, it will be dependent upon the type and brand of speakers, as well as the dimensions and content of the listening room.
post #93 of 1410 Old 10-29-2006, 10:37 PM

This sounds so weird that the Unit would not upconvert 720p to 1080p via HDMI. But I wonder if things like family videos (ie, VHS composite input) would be upscaled significantly well to warrant the additional pricing brought on by the scaler.

Has anyone seen the results of an analog to 1080p upconversion on a 1080p display?

I also wonder if 720p via component upscaled to 1080p even looks good. Because most off air HDTV is broadcast 720p in my region.

THANKS AGAIN ALL

How about ES3200 owners, does the scaler opperate using HDMI inputs, or with analogs, and is output quality good?
post #94 of 1410 Old 10-29-2006, 10:48 PM

JB007

I have a question for you. While playing a cd or mp3 disc on my cd/dvd/xbox360, I cannot for the life of me to get it to play in multichannel stereo. Even if I set it to multichannel stereo, it will only play on the 2 front speakers. Another problem is that I cannot get the subwoofer to work with music. It will only work with Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic, or the other surround formats. I don't want to listen to music in 5.1, I just need to listen to music in stereo mode with my subwoofer on.
Have you had any success?

Thanks!
post #95 of 1410 Old 10-30-2006, 07:30 AM

I decided to wait till the HDMI 1.3 out. So far, it's not worth to buy 5200ES or others.
post #96 of 1410 Old 10-30-2006, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTran View Post

JB007

I have a question for you. While playing a cd or mp3 disc on my cd/dvd/xbox360, I cannot for the life of me to get it to play in multichannel stereo. Even if I set it to multichannel stereo, it will only play on the 2 front speakers. Another problem is that I cannot get the subwoofer to work with music. It will only work with Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic, or the other surround formats. I don't want to listen to music in 5.1, I just need to listen to music in stereo mode with my subwoofer on.
Have you had any success?

Thanks!

Sorry, I have only listened to music from cable and attempted to connect an iPod. I can't be of any help to you here. Seems to me if your front speakers are set to large, you'll be receiving stereo music, as recorded, through the front speakers with bass.
post #97 of 1410 Old 10-31-2006, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibap View Post

I decided to wait till the HDMI 1.3 out. So far, it's not worth to buy 5200ES or others.

But when 1.3 is out then 1.4 will be coming. Why wait when you can use it now.
post #98 of 1410 Old 10-31-2006, 06:05 AM

With the new 1080p Xbox 360 dashboard update this reciever would be nice with 1080p component to HDMI. My reciever only upconverts to 1080i so I had to plug the component cables directly to the TV to get the 1080p. It works nice though.
post #99 of 1410 Old 10-31-2006, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
STR-DA5200ES vs STR-DA7100ES?
Besides the automatic callibration, is there any significant improvements in the 5200ES?
What is the HDMI protocol, is it a different version than the 7100ES?
The 7100ES weighs 20 lbs. more. Is it still Sony's flagship reciver?
Does anyone have direct experience with either AVR and Toshiba's HD-DVD players using HDMI audio? Will they play Dolby TRUEHD via PCM?
post #100 of 1410 Old 10-31-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

STR-DA5200ES vs STR-DA7100ES?

Does anyone have direct experience with either AVR and Toshiba's HD-DVD players using HDMI audio? Will they play Dolby TRUEHD via PCM?

5200ES works great with HD DVD,TrueHD via HDMI/PCM plays perfect.

post #101 of 1410 Old 10-31-2006, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks for the heads up hobbs47,
Any idea on weather or not the 7100ES works as well?
post #102 of 1410 Old 10-31-2006, 06:50 PM

I am very interested in this receiver. I'm down to the Sony 5200, Yamaha V2700 and the Denon 3806.

Does anyone know where to get a manual to the Sony 5200?

Has anyone heard lossless audio? Can you hear the difference? The reason I ask is would it be worth waiting till next year for lossless audio?

Thanks

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. -Aristotle
post #103 of 1410 Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 PM

post #104 of 1410 Old 10-31-2006, 09:51 PM

I started to mess with the 5200ES receiver again and here are some things that I found. Here are some of the things that did not work for me but am now 1 step closer to finding the solution.

I have an Xbox360(component/fiberoptic) and H20(HDMI) dtv receiver running to the 5200ES and have a HDMI cable running from the Sony receiver to either an IN72 or Pearl projector.

1. HDMI switching/upconversion did not work for me out the box. Sometimes when I turned everything on and had the input selected to HDMI1 for dtv, it would work, but as soon as I switched to the Xbox360(component), the picture would go blank. Even if I changed the input back to dtv, it would not work. This gave me problems for a couple of days. How could a 1500.00 dollar receiver be this quirky?

1a. Connecting the H20 via HDMI to the 5200 and switching the input to HDMI1 on the 5200ES receiver would cause my H20 dtv box to reboot. It did not just turn off, but it rebooted the H20 receiver. It had to find the signal and acquire the guide/content. This took about 3 minutes each time. I finally got it to work by running component directly from the H20 to the 5200ES and a component cable from the 5200ES to either the Pearl or IN72 projector.

2. When trying to play music from my Xbox 360, I could not get the subwoofer to come on no matter what I tried. Another frustrating thing was that I could not get the music to play in multichannel stereo. At this point, I thought I had a defective unit, but it was not because the subwoofer kicked on during movies. This thing frustrated me so much that I was ready to go with another unit.

3. Picture quality when upconverting. When I watched a movie on my Xbox 360, the picture quality was similar to cable quality. The picture seemed a little smoother, but the color and noise was ridiculous. It was not dvd quality at all. If I watched the movie connected from the Xbox 360 directly to either of my projectors, the image would look alot better. Colors were more accurate, and the picture looked good. Not only did I noticed, but about 5 of my family members noticed this too.

I remember watching Law and Order on TNT hidef and the picture didn't look as good if I ran it through the 5200ES. I also hooked the H20 dtv box directly to my projector and the picture was alot better.

Since these problems, I have found some solutions.

1. I took a Samsung 26" lcd with HDMI and connected it to the Sony 5200ES. OMG! Everything worked fine. The HDMI passed through fine and there was a picture. I then switched input to my Xbox360 and it worked! There was actually a picture on the screen. I switched it back to HDMI1(H20 dtv box) on the receiver and there was picture and sound. I think my problem is that neither my Pearl projector or IN72 projector accepted the HDMI signal. The problem wasn't the Sony, it was my projector.

1a. My H20 dtv box worked fine now when connected to my 26" lcd. No reboots or anything.

2. The stupid Xbox 360 does not output PCM or something like that. It only plays music through the 2 front channels. I connected a pioneer single disc dvd player instead and it passed PCM audio to the receiver. The 5200ES receiver actually displayed PCM in the front panel. Now I can select multichannel stereo. The best part was that the subwoofer actually played with the rest of the music. Before, if I played a cd through the Xbox360, the subwoofer wouldn't even turn on and even if I selected multichannel stereo, it would not work. Problem solved!

3. Picture still does not look as good if I run my sources through the 5200ES. No way of bypassing it.

The sound is great on this receiver. I have Polk LSI speakers and they are 4 ohm. This receiver even has an option in the setup menu to select a 4 ohm impedence. One of the best things about this receiver is that it does not run hot at all. Compared to Denon, Pioneer Elite, and Yamaha, this thing is about twice as cool as the others. Yes, I work at an audio shop and I deal with stuff like this everyday. For instance, you can't even put your hand on top of a Yamaha receiver for more than 20 seconds without pain, but that's another subject. The Sony is slightly warm at best.

Now only if I can get either of my projectors to accept the HDMI input.....

If you guys have any questions about this unit, please ask away......
post #105 of 1410 Old 10-31-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibap View Post

I see you have drank the 1.3 coolaid.
post #106 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 02:28 AM

Quote:

I think my problem is that neither my Pearl projector or IN72 projector accepted the HDMI signal. The problem wasn't the Sony, it was my projector.

One could surmise from this that Sony still owes you the apology since they also released the Pearl. The 5200ES is marketed to be coupled to the current generation of Sony 1080P displays (Bravia LCDs, SXRDs and PJs). Weird that they are miscommunicating.
post #107 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 06:50 AM

I was so ready to buy this receiver specifically to work with a Sony VW50 but now its sounding like they don't work well together, which seems unbelievable. Has anyone had luck with this receiver and a Pearl?

Damnit, I thought I had this figured out...

Come to think of it, Sony was showing this receiver with a VW100 Ruby at CEDIA and everything was working fine, they switched inputs, and showed the UI running over video. I don't understand.
post #108 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

3. Picture still does not look as good if I run my sources through the 5200ES. No way of bypassing it.

If you guys have any questions about this unit, please ask away......

Great to see you have figured out some of the problems KTran!

Re: #3? No way of bypassing it? You cannot bypass or switch off the scaler on the 5200? I would suspect that is the source of the problem with the poor video.
I wonder why the video is worse when connected to the 5200 rather than straight to the HDTV? I would want to connect all via HDMI to the 5200, so this is a concern. Others have this issue?

Q. When playing music, can one see on screen display of the volume or other settings? What about HDMI input sources, any OSD of settings(ie volume, etc.) or is it only available with component as reported by jb007?

Again, I want to connect my cable STB via HDMI, HD-DVD via HDMI, and another music streamer via component. Would like to be able to view OSD the volume and audio settings.

Bob
post #109 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 06:58 AM

question , will sony come out w more hdmi connectors?
direct tv, ps3,blue ray,hd dvd, or a cd recorder and what ever else you need via hdmi input.
is there a multi selector for Hdmi?
i see alot of new products going to the hdmi inputs
post #110 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Re: #3? No way of bypassing it? You cannot bypass or switch off the scaler on the 5200? I would suspect that is the source of the problem with the poor video.
I wonder why the video is worse when connected to the 5200 rather than straight to the HDTV? I would want to connect all via HDMI to the 5200, so this is a concern. Others have this issue?

Q. When playing music, can one see on screen display of the volume or other settings? What about HDMI input sources, any OSD of settings(ie volume, etc.) or is it only available with component as reported by jb007?

Again, I want to connect my cable STB via HDMI, HD-DVD via HDMI, and another music streamer via component. Would like to be able to view OSD the volume and audio settings.

Bob

Yes, I'm confused on the PQ issue as well - when of the key points of the 5200ES is the new DCDI Cinema chip which, to my understanding, is supposed to provide 10-bit motion adaptive deinterlacing and upscaling of all sources (SD and HD), and should be better than any built-in scaler.

Curious what others say as well...I was looking to buy this unit if it provided quality VP - but if these early posts provide to be consistent for other users, I'm out....
post #111 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonedrn8 View Post

direct tv, ps3,blue ray,hd dvd, or a cd recorder and what ever else you need via hdmi input.

There are devices such as:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=
post #112 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bob

The scaler can bet set to off. Once again, it does not scale video input from HDMI. I notice no degradation or improvement in picture quality when going through the 5200ES.

You can see volume, and other settings, on screen -- but only if you have the on screen menu displayed. It would probably be OK to leave the onscreen menu displayed continuously while listening to music, unless your TV is susceptible to burn-in.
post #113 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

jb007 - "GUI - It is nice and easy to use. It is visible over all resolutions, including 1080, which as I understand it, the Yamaha receivers are incapable of. You cannot rename the HDMI inputs. It can be a little flakey; maybe it's only my unit, but at times the on screen menu just will not display. I've had to power down the unit or reset it on a few occasions. The GUI only overlays video from the analog inputs. The volume or the input you've selected only shows up on screen if you have the menu on screen -- not automatically or when you change volume or inputs. You really only need the GUI for setup. I have a Harmony 880 and it controls the 5200ES perfectly"

From above you say, "The GUI only overlays video from the analog inputs."
jb I guess this is my confusion. If I have a STB and a HD-DVD connected via HDMI, the GUI will not show? I guess this is not a problem as what I am concerned about once the setup is complete is the ability to see audio settings (unlike Yamaha and others as you mentioned) OSD via the menu on screen.
I can then use this menu to see the settings regardless of HDMI or analog.
Sorry to belabor the issue

I appreciate your information!
post #114 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Bob

In the setup menu, you can set it to "off". However, I had to set it to at least 480P because my IN72 nor my Pearl did not take a 480I signal through HDMI. I'll play with it more tonite to see what else I can figure out. If it was set to off, my directv would work, but my VCR or playstation 2 did not work through it.

When playing music, you can access the menu and use the GUI. The GUI is an excellent feature because you can rename all the analog inputs. This way, your family members will not be confused while switching to other sources.
post #115 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonedrn8 View Post

The 5200ES has 3 hdmi inputs. I think 3 is enough for the forseeable future. Most people with PS3 will watch blue ray on their unit. You either own a cable box, or dish. You still have another hdmi input for another source.

I think the VSX 84 and the RXV2700 has 4 HDMI inputs. They pass 1080P, but only scale analog sources to 1080I.
post #116 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Yes, I'm confused on the PQ issue as well - when of the key points of the 5200ES is the new DCDI Cinema chip which, to my understanding, is supposed to provide 10-bit motion adaptive deinterlacing and upscaling of all sources (SD and HD), and should be better than any built-in scaler.

Curious what others say as well...I was looking to buy this unit if it provided quality VP - but if these early posts provide to be consistent for other users, I'm out....

Try to see the unit in action before you decide. I'm growing to like my 5200ES because I have figured out some of the problems.
Rule #1. Dont buy an audio piece without listening to it first. I may not like the scaler, but you may think differently.
post #117 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb007 View Post

The scaler can bet set to off. Once again, it does not scale video input from HDMI. I notice no degradation or improvement in picture quality when going through the 5200ES.

You can see volume, and other settings, on screen -- but only if you have the on screen menu displayed. It would probably be OK to leave the onscreen menu displayed continuously while listening to music, unless your TV is susceptible to burn-in.

Yes, the scaler can be set to "off". But if your tv doesn't accept 480I through HDMI, then you are screwed. I have a playstation 2 and a vcr and neither of my projectors will recognize it if I turn my scaler off. Apparently, HDMI will only accept signals of 480P and up. I understand that this is not the fault of the 5200ES.
post #118 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When playing music, you can access the menu and use the GUI.

KTran, one thing all the other receivers have a problem with is displaying OSD of volume, digital audio settings, etc. when viewing anything other than 480i(p). Do I understand that the 5200 does NOT have this issue? Say with a HD-DVD and 1080i to my 1080p HDTV, I will be able to see OS the volume, and other settings for audio/video? Connected via HDMI.

Thanks,
Bob
post #119 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcherer View Post

I was so ready to buy this receiver specifically to work with a Sony VW50 but now its sounding like they don't work well together, which seems unbelievable. Has anyone had luck with this receiver and a Pearl?

Damnit, I thought I had this figured out...

Come to think of it, Sony was showing this receiver with a VW100 Ruby at CEDIA and everything was working fine, they switched inputs, and showed the UI running over video. I don't understand.

Perhaps they were using component instead of HDMI.
post #120 of 1410 Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jb007 - "GUI - It is nice and easy to use. It is visible over all resolutions, including 1080, which as I understand it, the Yamaha receivers are incapable of. You cannot rename the HDMI inputs. It can be a little flakey; maybe it's only my unit, but at times the on screen menu just will not display. I've had to power down the unit or reset it on a few occasions. The GUI only overlays video from the analog inputs. The volume or the input you've selected only shows up on screen if you have the menu on screen -- not automatically or when you change volume or inputs. You really only need the GUI for setup. I have a Harmony 880 and it controls the 5200ES perfectly"

From above you say, "The GUI only overlays video from the analog inputs."
jb I guess this is my confusion. If I have a STB and a HD-DVD connected via HDMI, the GUI will not show? I guess this is not a problem as what I am concerned about once the setup is complete is the ability to see audio settings (unlike Yamaha and others as you mentioned) OSD via the menu on screen.
I can then use this menu to see the settings regardless of HDMI or analog.
Sorry to belabor the issue

I appreciate your information!

The GUI on screen menu is only visible if you bring it up by pressing the on screen button and menu button on the remote. It will not automatically show volume or any other adjustments unless you first bring up the on screen display.

My comment about overlaying video was not clear. It was in reference to a previous post where someone was relating how the Sony website showed video running underneath the on screen menu. When you bring up the on screen display while utilizing an HDMI input, the background is black. On analog inputs you can faintly see the video grayed out in the background of the menu. It is not suitable for viewing in this fashion.

To summarize, you will not see any on screen display of information from the 5200ES unless you have the onscreen menu on display, and in this mode it is only suitable for making adjustments, not viewing any video source. The one caveat is that it may be OK to leave the onscreen display up continuously while listening to music, if you're TV screen will not suffer from burn in.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page