which outlet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1410 Old 11-11-2008, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had any luck in getting a Harmony 1000 remote to work reliably with this receiver?

Mine was working OK-ish, until they had a Harmony software update for the 5200. Instead of fixing things, it broke darn near everything. Any tips on how to trick the Harmony into doing what it's supposed to? Among other things, I can NEVER get it to switch between HDMI1 and HDMI2.
post #1383 of 1410 Old 11-12-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconner View Post

Has anyone had any luck in getting a Harmony 1000 remote to work reliably with this receiver?

Mine was working OK-ish, until they had a Harmony software update for the 5200. Instead of fixing things, it broke darn near everything. Any tips on how to trick the Harmony into doing what it's supposed to? Among other things, I can NEVER get it to switch between HDMI1 and HDMI2.

The only thing I can think of is to try adjusting the various timing settings. During the short time I had this receiver, I didn't have any issues with it, with my Harmony One.

Good luck.

Dan
post #1384 of 1410 Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 AM

I recently connected a PS3 to the 5200ES using an HDMI3 input. The output goes to my Sony 60XBR2 display...

When the PS3 is used to play games @ 1080P the display looks great; however, when I playback a Blueray video @ 1080P I see extremelly noticable blue pixels where the very black "colors" should be... This problem does not exist when I set the PS3 to 1080i...

Has anyone seen this before? I checked the PS3 threads and did not find any mention.

Thanks for the help!
post #1385 of 1410 Old 12-08-2008, 12:56 PM

Having trouble turning the receiver on. It just seems to click over and over again, I can eventually get it to stand by, but not on. This is killing me?

Can any one help?
post #1386 of 1410 Old 12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickroy View Post

Having trouble turning the receiver on. It just seems to click over and over again, I can eventually get it to stand by, but not on. This is killing me?

Can any one help?

Well I can not offer any "fix" suggestions, however one of the major selling points (& price justifications) is the 5 year warranty. As none of these are that old yet, I would call Sony & exercise that option.

Maybe they will swap you out for a a 5300ES (which is what these should have been in the first place)

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
post #1387 of 1410 Old 12-09-2008, 09:55 AM

I am running my PS3, cable box, and hd dvd to the receiver then to my xbr5 and have some issues.

1 - While watching cable, if I change from analog channel to high def channel, the picture and audo start to studder until I change it back to analog and then back to HD. Dosn't happen all the time

2 - From time to time when watching cable I get this sharp pop noise through all the speakers? Happpens every 3 or so minutes, what the heck is this? Just started recently

3 - When watching cable the I can hear a change is the base of the audio. So if someone is talking you hear the base in their voice and then the base drops off suddenly and then after a couple of minutes, it comes back.

Not sure if any of these are related to the receiver or not. Also, I was reading the 5200 does not pass 24p. Does this mean when I watch the PS3, the receiver changes the 24p to 60p?

Thanks!
post #1388 of 1410 Old 12-15-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

Well I can not offer any "fix" suggestions, however one of the major selling points (& price justifications) is the 5 year warranty. As none of these are that old yet, I would call Sony & exercise that option.

Maybe they will swap you out for a a 5300ES (which is what these should have been in the first place)

That's what I did. At first they wanted me to ship it to Texas. Who knows how much that would cost?! Then when I asked if there was some place local he came up with a place only 10 miles away. Nice.

Dropped it off on the 12/9 and called today. He said they have to replace 8 parts but they have everything and are working on it. I should have it back shortly.

Has anyone heard about any firm ware upgrades I should ask about before I take it back? I haven't see anything about that here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...dl=STRDA5200ES
post #1389 of 1410 Old 01-01-2009, 05:59 PM

Got the receiver back and it works great. They had to replace 8 parts. Mostly transistors and resistors. It took less than two weeks.

I had been struggling with "Protect feature". That annoying feature turned off the receiver every time there was an unexpected loud noise in the movie such as a explosion. I finally rewired (or reconnected) the speakers with fresh connections/wire and this seems to have fixed the problem. I couldn't even get the auto calibrate to work without it shutting off before this.
post #1390 of 1410 Old 01-17-2009, 01:22 PM

If you run the HDMI cable from your STB to the Receiver, then another from the receiver to the HDMI of the TV - does the receiver have to be on in order to get a picture/sound? Does it pass thru the signal in the standby mode? My wife likes to watch tv "straight"

Thanks
post #1391 of 1410 Old 01-17-2009, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Receiver has to be on.
post #1392 of 1410 Old 04-27-2009, 08:00 AM

Hi everyone,
Very proud to have just joined the ranks of 5200ES owners! Haven't worked my way through this thread as yet, but if anyone wants to give some initial advice, i'm all ears.

Couple of specific questions:
1) Since my TV has resolution 1024 x 768, should i set all video to be up-converted to 720p, rather than 1080p? (using HDMI)

2) I would like to program my remote to 'learn' to turn on/off my Conia TV, but don't fully understand the instructions in manual. Steps 1,2 and 4 make sense, but i dont know what Step 3 does... (pg 117 in my manual, not sure if Aus version different)

3) When playing in stereo, can this receiver put more power to the Front speakers (i.e. more than 120W per Channel)? If so, do i have to enable any settings?

Thanks heaps!
post #1393 of 1410 Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Received my Sony STR DA5200ES a few weeks ago. So far it seems pretty good. Previously I had a Carver M500t amp and not sure there's much of a difference between the two in sound quality.
post #1394 of 1410 Old 09-07-2009, 11:34 AM

Seems to be on the fritz. Changed speaker wire, switched speakers, cleaned jacks and the best I can get is low end frequency out of it, that's it.

Anyone have any ideas, or do I need to take it back for another repair?
post #1395 of 1410 Old 09-07-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickroy View Post

That's what I did. At first they wanted me to ship it to Texas. Who knows how much that would cost?! Then when I asked if there was some place local he came up with a place only 10 miles away. Nice.

Dropped it off on the 12/9 and called today. He said they have to replace 8 parts but they have everything and are working on it. I should have it back shortly.

Has anyone heard about any firm ware upgrades I should ask about before I take it back? I haven't see anything about that here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...dl=STRDA5200ES

Glad it (mostly) worked out for you.

post #1396 of 1410 Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello252 View Post

This was discussed earlier in the thread. I emailed Sony and Sony confirmed that the 5200ES does NOT pass 1080p/24, only 1080p/60.

The 5200 DOES pass 1080p/24 which i can confirm with my Lumagen scaler information.
post #1397 of 1410 Old 01-04-2011, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Another note.

I have some strange problems with my 5200ES, i get blinking and jumping pixels on my plasma when i have the appliances connected thru the 5200ES.

If i connect the appliances directly to my Lumagen scaler the problem goes away which means the problem lies within the 5200ES.

Is it a hardware component inside the 5200ES that's failing or is there some adjustment i need to make?
post #1398 of 1410 Old 02-04-2011, 09:35 AM

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone can help. I've had this receiver for years now and it's been great. Until last week I had it connected to an older Sony 60" SXRD over both HDMI and component. Of course, since it had been a while I couldn't remember why I even had the component connected when supposedly everything was being output to the TV through the HDMI cable.

Anyway, I've recently sold the SXRD and now have it connected to a 60EX700. However, I mounted this one on the wall and ran only an HDMI cable through the wall. Long story short, now my Wii will not display on the TV. Of course, this gets stranger. With the Wii connected (by component) and supposedly getting upscaled to 1080p I get no picture. However, when I turn on the on screen display of the menu for the 5200, I can see the Wii screen behind the menu. Of course, as soon as I turn the menu off, I again get no signal again. I've tried setting the Wii to both 480i and 480p as well as setting the 5200 output to 1080i, 720p, etc. and no combination seems to change anything.

I don't want to have to drag a full set of component cables through my wall so I'm hoping this is just some small setting I've missed somewhere. Any help you all could give here would be GREAT.

Thanks,

- Mike
post #1399 of 1410 Old 02-05-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinML View Post

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone can help. I've had this receiver for years now and it's been great. Until last week I had it connected to an older Sony 60" SXRD over both HDMI and component. Of course, since it had been a while I couldn't remember why I even had the component connected when supposedly everything was being output to the TV through the HDMI cable.

Anyway, I've recently sold the SXRD and now have it connected to a 60EX700. However, I mounted this one on the wall and ran only an HDMI cable through the wall. Long story short, now my Wii will not display on the TV. Of course, this gets stranger. With the Wii connected (by component) and supposedly getting upscaled to 1080p I get no picture. However, when I turn on the on screen display of the menu for the 5200, I can see the Wii screen behind the menu. Of course, as soon as I turn the menu off, I again get no signal again. I've tried setting the Wii to both 480i and 480p as well as setting the 5200 output to 1080i, 720p, etc. and no combination seems to change anything.

I don't want to have to drag a full set of component cables through my wall so I'm hoping this is just some small setting I've missed somewhere. Any help you all could give here would be GREAT.

Thanks,

- Mike

Pretty sure our receivers don't upconvert to HDMI. You need to buy the A/V cord for the Wii that outputs HDMI.
post #1400 of 1410 Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru_bunky View Post

Pretty sure our receivers don't upconvert to HDMI. You need to buy the A/V cord for the Wii that outputs HDMI.

Yes the 5200 will transcode (some none HDMI input to HDMI ) as well as upconvert. Make sure you have HDMI CEC (aka Bravia Sync) in your Sony LCD turned off. Of course the 5200 does not undersatnd that, but it may be inteferring with the HDMI chain. Also make sure any other HDMI device you have connected to the 5200 that is HDMI CEC capable (like the slim ps3 or newer blu-ray player) also has that option disabled.

Ok since you see the screen when you press menu, that is telling me that you have, in addition to the HDMI connection some OTHER connection to your LCD. The 5200 does not have the capability to overlay over the HDMI inputs, so if you see a screen when you press menu, you must have either component or composite also going to the tv.

Make sure that you are on the correct HDMI input on the Sony LCD.

post #1401 of 1410 Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 AM

Well, what I can say so far after living with my current setup for a little over a week is this:

- the 5200ES absolutely upconverts over HDMI, at the very least with component it does as well as other hdmi sources. I've now had it upconvert 480p, 720p, and 1080i over HDMI and 480i on up over component.
- the 5200ES absolutely does output the menu over HDMI as that is the only single cable currently running to my TV (KDL-60EX700). It may change the resolution from 1080p when it does so but I'm not sure - I'll have to check on that.

Here is what I've finally done to make the Wii display correctly over the HDMI cable. On the AVR remote there is a RESOLUTION command (you need to press the SHIFT button first and then the MOVIE button). If I press that a few times, running through the resolutions and ending at 1080p again, for some reason the Wii display output then shows. It does appear that the upconversion does not fill the entire screen but it is at least 95% of it.

Now my next question is how to get my blu-ray player's 24p output to get passed through the 5200's upconversion process as is instead of being "upconverted" to 60p. Thoughts?

Also, I could not find any Bravia Sync option for HDMI on the Sony tv but I did find an option referring to control of other components over HDMI through the TV which I did turn off as with my Harmony remote it's not really necessary.
post #1402 of 1410 Old 02-10-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

If I remember correctly the 5200 will NOT pass 24fps.

Also I did not say that the onscreen will not come on with the HDMI inputs, but what you will not get is the screen behind (in this case the Wii) with the HDMI inputs. The menu overlay, when using the HDMI inputs blanks out whatever is behind it (in this case it would be the Wii if you had a HDMI out of that device).

Ok it was not named Bravia Sync, but apparently you did find that feature (real name is HDMI CEC)

post #1403 of 1410 Old 02-11-2011, 06:59 AM

I thought one way to potentially pass through 24fps would be to turn off upconversion altogether (using that same SHIFT RESOLUTION command). I tried this and I thought there was a way to display on the TV if I was getting 24fps or 60fps but I couldn't find it. Honestly, I'm not sure my eyes would catch the difference outside of a test pattern or something - particularly with the great upconversion of the the 5200.

Also, I think what you're saying about the GUI is mostly correct or correct for HDMI sources but take a look at the attached pictures. Menu is the full GUI menu overlayed over the main Wii menu and On Screen is just the on screen GUI with no menu. My TV overlayed the black bar on top indicating a 1080p signal. You can also see that the Wii menu does not take up the entire screen with a 1"-2" border around it. And this is all through a single HDMI cable (I also have an ethernet cable running the TV but I disconnected that just in case). I did change the upconversion to 1080i for the Wii though and then it filled the entire screen. And again, for some reason just cycling through the upconversion's output resolutions "fixes" the issue. Very strange.

Also, they do actually call it Bravia Sync in the manual despite not calling it that in the menu system. Not sure if it made a difference with my Wii issue but thanks for that tip as I definitely don't want that on.

I still think there must be a cleaner way to make this all work but at least I have everything working now without having to run a set of component cables through my wall.
LL
LL
post #1404 of 1410 Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Well Austin I'm glad you got it "work". The 5200 was great (spec wise) on paper when it was released (& i got mine for less than the 1500 msrp at that time too ), but Sony did not implement it as good as they could have. Frankly the follow up ES receivers are a little disappointing as well.

post #1405 of 1410 Old 02-14-2011, 05:48 AM

Hello -

I am looking to get a Mitsubishi 3D DLP TV. Would this receiver pass through the 3D signal from a CableBox or 3D BlueRay player correctly, or do I need to get a newer AVR with HDMA 1.4a capability?

Thanks in advance!
post #1406 of 1410 Old 02-15-2011, 06:03 PM

Hi,

I am new to this forum and very glad I found it. I have browsed this thread and there seems to be very good information but I have not yet seen anything on my particular topic. Maybe someone can help?

I have had my 5200ES a couple of years and have not had any problems with until now. I run it through HDMI to my TV (Hitachi LE55X04A) and have a Sony BD player, HD CATV box, and a Wii connected. A couple of days ago I got my new PC (an MSI Intel Core 7 with a ATI Radeon HD 5870) and I decided to try hooking it up through the 5200 and run some films.

I managed to set the amp and the PC up and started a movie through DivX player and it worked beautifully until a couple of minutes into the film when the 5200 shut down. After starting itself up again the audio came on but video would not work. Computer ran normally throughout. Tried it again two times with the same result.

Anyone have an idea to what could be the problem?

Thanks,

TokyoRoger
post #1407 of 1410 Old 02-28-2012, 10:47 PM

How do I enable audio out the 5200's HDMI monitor output? Have it plugged into my TV and would like to use TV speakers for listening at night when i cant use stereo speakers. Very cumbersome to get OSD working so hopefully can do from front panel. Thx for any help!

post #1408 of 1410 Old 02-29-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

See pg 56 of the manual.
post #1409 of 1410 Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 PM

I'm looking for someone with a dead 5200 that's interested in parting it out. I have a 5200 that was hit by lightning and the HDMI board is toast. I checked with Sony and their parts resellers and the board is not longer available.

Please PM if you can help me.

Thanks,

Brent
post #1410 of 1410 Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 AM

I want to plug my wireless headphones into the MD/Data out, but there is nothing coming out of the MD/Data Out port. In technical terms no little red light coming from behind the red port cover.

I have a 5300ES. Inputs are all HDMI (Cablebox, Blue ray and Roku3).

Is there something I have to do to turn on the MD Optical out?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page