Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 548 Old 06-17-2007, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

Interesting. It repeats what is already available for the BD10 Blu-ray player. I wonder if someone posted this info in the wrong place. BTW. There is no mini DIN port on my XR700. Here's a blowup of the back side http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/b...rear_view.html

Dana

Dana

The cnet site say it has one 4-pin mini DIN in front. It could be one of those mistakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 548 Old 06-17-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftwareDude View Post

The cnet site say it has one 4-pin mini DIN in front. It could be one of those mistakes.

No, CNET is correct. It has an S-Video mini DIN port labeled AUX on the front panel behind the flip down door. The concept is to accommodate a video camera, game player, etc.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #183 of 548 Old 06-17-2007, 09:53 AM

For upgrades though, I would guess you have to have another gadget that plugs into that port for the new programs to be in there and executed for updates.
post #184 of 548 Old 06-17-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftwareDude View Post

Here it is http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...ay/default.asp

The link above points to the Panny blue ray mini site. Select "Products" from the menu at the top, click on the AVR in the middle of the page, and bang on the "Get Specs" left side of the screen.

I'm sorry for the instructions, I just wanted you to get the right page.

There is no mention though if it is via the mini DIN port or some other port.

how would the firmware update take place? Would i have to send this in? The receiver does not look at you can apply an upgrade as a consumer....
post #185 of 548 Old 06-17-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglauner View Post

how would the firmware update take place? Would i have to send this in? The receiver does not look at you can apply an upgrade as a consumer....

I was looking at the mini DIN port as a possible port. Panasonic engineers should something the AVR in place that would read something from one of the input ports. I dont know if returning the AVR is what is their minds. I hope to see announcements from Panny about this.
post #186 of 548 Old 06-17-2007, 04:44 PM

Speaking from a perspective of relative ignorance about these new sound formats, is it even possible to upgrade a receiver that shipped with HDMI 1.2 to render Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Audio? I thought that the HDMI implementation had to be version 1.3 in order to accept the bitstream and decode the audio? Can that be done with just a software update? Is the receiver actually going to be able to decode these audio streams?
post #187 of 548 Old 06-17-2007, 04:51 PM

Absolutely right. I just hope Panasonic has a way of doing what they say. They would not be publishing something they cannot do. Unless they have plans of backtracking from their published statements.
post #188 of 548 Old 06-17-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerX View Post

Speaking from a perspective of relative ignorance about these new sound formats, is it even possible to upgrade a receiver that shipped with HDMI 1.2 to render Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Audio? I thought that the HDMI implementation had to be version 1.3 in order to accept the bitstream and decode the audio? Can that be done with just a software update? Is the receiver actually going to be able to decode these audio streams?

I think you're right. The XR700 shipped with HDMI 1.2a. (At least the manual says mine did.) Of course a firmware upgrade is fairly routine with disc players. The BD10 firmware to enable it to decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD was posted for download by Panasonic on April 18, 2007 and later distributed on CD to owners. The consumer downloads the file, burns a CD and pops it in the disc tray for playback. But, I am dubious about upgrading AVR firmware. Have we any indication that it has been done to other AVRs in the field by consumers? If so, how?

It is more likely I think that the section SoftwareDude found on the Panny web site was posted to the AR700 specs in error and should have been posted to the BD10A specs instead. Downloads for the BD10A and the BD10 were posted at the same time, identical in size.

Dana

post #189 of 548 Old 06-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Hey, my Fry's had these on closeout today for $299 in a sealed box. Picked one up for my dad. Was this a good deal or what? It's a nice looking unit, but he doesn't have his new TV to hook it up to yet.

President and active member of the A.D.F.F. (Anti-Dakota Fanning Foundation)
post #190 of 548 Old 06-17-2007, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

I think you're right. The XR700 shipped with HDMI 1.2a. (At least the manual says mine did.) Of course a firmware upgrade is fairly routine with disc players. The BD10 firmware to enable it to decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD was posted for download by Panasonic on April 18, 2007 and later distributed on CD to owners. The consumer downloads the file, burns a CD and pops it in the disc tray for playback. But, I am dubious about upgrading AVR firmware. Have we any indication that it has been done to other AVRs in the field by consumers? If so, how?

It is more likely I think that the section SoftwareDude found on the Panny web site was posted to the AR700 specs in error and should have been posted to the BD10A specs instead. Downloads for the BD10A and the BD10 were posted at the same time, identical in size.

Dana

Agreed.... there is no way it can be changed to 1.3, which you would need to get those codecs. I believe it was meant for when used in conjunction with their BD player.
post #191 of 548 Old 06-17-2007, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-force View Post

Hey, my Fry's had these on closeout today for $299 in a sealed box. Picked one up for my dad. Was this a good deal or what? It's a nice looking unit, but he doesn't have his new TV to hook it up to yet.

Yes... good price. I paid $700 .
post #192 of 548 Old 06-19-2007, 11:13 PM

How come this receiver is so slim? Is that because it's a digital amp?

Does anyone knows of any other receiver at 4.5" ish in height?

Been looking at this one for a while, I got a PS3 and am planning to buy on of the new Pana plasmas. Got a nice place to put everything but it's kinda short. This one would fit though and it looks like it works nicely with a PS3.

Antonio Delgado
post #193 of 548 Old 06-26-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Does the XR700 come in different colors (silver, black)? Are there different SKUs for it? I've found two online vendors, and one claims that it only comes in silver (still mostly black/glossy front panel) while the other claims that it only comes in black.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #194 of 548 Old 06-26-2007, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

Does the XR700 come in different colors (silver, black)? Are there different SKUs for it? I've found two online vendors, and one claims that it only comes in silver (still mostly black/glossy front panel) while the other claims that it only comes in black.

Yes, this is correct. Panasonic uses the suffix K for black and S for silver for all their components. That probably means different SKUs, too. In the USA black is the predominant offering; in the UK and AUS, silver seems to be the featured color, at least during the early rollout.

Dana

post #195 of 548 Old 06-30-2007, 07:44 AM

Just a quick question,

The amp has two digital coaxial and two optical inputs.....does the coaxial provide the same digital audio quality? Sorry guys but i am not an audiophile.

Thanks
post #196 of 548 Old 06-30-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albal View Post

Just a quick question,

The amp has two digital coaxial and two optical inputs.....does the coaxial provide the same digital audio quality? Sorry guys but i am not an audiophile.

Thanks

Don't be sorry, thats a good question . I would like to know the answer myself.
post #197 of 548 Old 06-30-2007, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

page 39 on online manual....
Quote:

This unit's DIGITAL IN COAXIAL1 terminal can play up to 192 kHz and
the other DIGITAL IN terminals can play up to 96 kHz.
Frequencies appear on the display when the unit receives input signals
transmitted at the frequencies of 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, and 192
kHz.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SAXR700.PDF

This is for coax1 only. This is only beneficial for DVDaudio etc...
post #198 of 548 Old 06-30-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a quick question,

Thanks

I'm not sure of the question. Is it "Does the coaxial provide the same digital audio quality as the optical input? If so, the short answer is yes. Digital is digital. The primary benefit of optical transmission is that it cannot pick up spurious electrical impulses as the light moves from one terminal to another.

Dana

post #199 of 548 Old 07-01-2007, 06:43 AM

Thanks guys. However, Shamus the quote that you gave...does that mean that connecting my DVD player to the coaxial cable input might be the better option because the amp can pick up higher frequencies? in other words, it is the better option?
post #200 of 548 Old 07-01-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks guys. However, Shamus the quote that you gave...does that mean that connecting my DVD player to the coaxial cable input might be the better option because the amp can pick up higher frequencies? in other words, it is the better option?

Only if you were using something that needed 192khz... othere than that, they are all the same.
post #201 of 548 Old 07-01-2007, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will connect it to my DVD player - give it a go. BTW, I have had this amp for 6 months. Although I am not an expert, I am very happy with the sound provided. It possibly gives the clearest sound I have ever heard from an amp at that price range (I tried a few before buying). The base response is a little on the weak side in comparison to others but I don't mind. I listen to classical music in stereo most of the time and it is very good.

What do you guys think? After having the receiver for a few months are you satisfied?
post #202 of 548 Old 07-01-2007, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 276
I personally feel that there is no obvious sound quality difference between coaxial and optical if they are transferring the same data at the same rate. There are obviously countless endless discussions on this topic.

Personally I use optical over coaxial however for one simple reason. When I connect my pc (bit-perfect output) to the Panasonic saxr57 using coaxial, I can occasionally get interference transmitted to the receiver from the electrically "noisy" computer. A good example is if I switch on the airconditioner, the transient change in the power supply sends a spike or something through coaxial but optical is clearly immune to this problem in my case.

Blazar!
post #203 of 548 Old 07-09-2007, 05:12 AM

Have any of you panny users paired these up with Orb Audio speakers? I'm planning to try this combination before the end of this summer and wanted to know if there were any reviews or comments on setup that I should be aware of. Thanks in advance.
post #204 of 548 Old 07-09-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerX View Post

Have any of you panny users paired these up with Orb Audio speakers? I'm planning to try this combination before the end of this summer and wanted to know if there were any reviews or comments on setup that I should be aware of. Thanks in advance.

I have this combo, and it sounds fine to me. The guys at Orb suggested that you should not trust the auto-setup feature. I don't have the testing equipment to verify.
post #205 of 548 Old 07-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I personally feel that there is no obvious sound quality difference between coaxial and optical if they are transferring the same data at the same rate. There are obviously countless endless discussions on this topic.

Personally I use optical over coaxial however for one simple reason. When I connect my pc (bit-perfect output) to the Panasonic saxr57 using coaxial, I can occasionally get interference transmitted to the receiver from the electrically "noisy" computer. A good example is if I switch on the airconditioner, the transient change in the power supply sends a spike or something through coaxial but optical is clearly immune to this problem in my case.

I know you dont believe in these differences. But the coax and optical cables vary in their jitter characteristics and so the difference in sound. The S/PDIF digital interface (the standard for coax and optical/toslink) is not a very ideal one. It sends the clock and data over the same connection. This results in a 'wavering' clock because of reflections at the terminals aka jitter.
Anyways, the short version of this is, the coax and optical cable quality matters. Try a 'glass toslink' for an improvement in sound quality if you are using the optical connection. If you are using coax connections power conditioners might help improve quality.
post #206 of 548 Old 07-27-2007, 01:33 AM

Hi guys,

Unfortunately i have another rather dumb question to ask....i am currently running the XR700 on some old Sony speakers. The two front are towers and the surround are smaller speakers. When i do the auto setup it sets the front speakers to large rather than small. When i run it like that the subwoofer doesn't reproduce much sound.

Should i conduct the auto setup and then change the front speaker size to small?

Thanks
post #207 of 548 Old 07-27-2007, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

With speakers set to large, the sub is dedicated to LFE only. The rest of the bass is sent to those two speakers.

I wouldn't consider that a problem since you are still hearing the bass and it lets the sub do what it was designed to do -- handling low frequency effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-frequency_effect

But if you think more bass from the sub sounds better, simply change the size from large to small.

The right setting is what sounds good to you.
post #208 of 548 Old 07-27-2007, 02:03 AM

Thanks for that. Hoewever, does that mean that the smaller back speakers are getting the same amount of power as the front large speakers?
post #209 of 548 Old 07-27-2007, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Each speaker gets it's own amp in a surround set-up, so yes, they have the same amount of power available to them.

The clever thing Panasonic does in its digital amps is to reroute all the amps to the front two speakers in stereo (2.0 or 2.1) mode.
post #210 of 548 Old 07-28-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRaven View Post

Anyone using the XR700's HDMI switching with a SA 8300HD HDDVR?

I've heard it has issues working with most receivers and I'd rather know that it won't work before I pick one up.

Did you ever get a response to this question?

All - just finding this thread tonight - glad y'all are here. I've got a panny plasma and the panny BD player, and would like to use the 700 as my AVR. But ONLY if I can connect my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD TSB/DVR as the "second" HDMI input to the 700.

The manual makes it clear they (panny) don't intend the 700 be used this way, and indicate there might be problems if I try (sound, etc.)

Has anyone sucessfully set their system up with BD10(A) and the 8300HD as their two inputs?

Many Thanks, jc

PS - SAY...I just noticed the 700 is not listed (for purchase...) on the panny site !

What's up with this? Do they still make and sell this one?

Tnx, jc
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page