My Yamaha RX-V 2700 busted - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-17-2006, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have been lurking on this forum for several months and received my 2700 yesterday and I fired it with an upconverting DVD player and dish network HD receiver . The receiver is connected to the projector Panasonic ae900u through HDMI and component. I connected the DVD to the receiver with HDMI and the satellite with the DVI/HDMI. The DVD player worked for sometime and then I have flickering screen with normal sound. I couldn't get the GUI to work through the HDMI either, it works through the component. I wonder if my receiver broke. I am already dissatisfied with the OSD and now the DVD doesn't play. Am I doing anything wrong.

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-18-2006, 11:29 AM

The problem is most likely an HDCP problem. After hearing all the problems people have with cable boxes and HDMI/DVI I suspect it's going to be with your satellite box. Have you tried just having the dvd player connect and disconnect the Sat box and does it work? and also try vice versa...
post #3 of 14 Old 11-19-2006, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

If I connect the DVD player with the HDMI cable directly to the projector it works fine. When I connect it through the Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver, then I have the problem. The DVD plays for sometime and then I get a dotted screen. Then, I have to use the component cables, which works. I am worried about my receiver.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-19-2006, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
yeah, I'm thinking your problems are probably related to HDCP/repeater errors caused by the DishNetWork receiver box. What type (brand-model) box is it? Also, sometimes they don't like the DVI/HDMI connection.

I would first try connecting [only] your DVD to your receiver with HDMI cable. Then connect to your projector using HDMI cable. See if everything works okay now.

If so, now connect your DishNetWork receiver box using the DVI/HDMI cable. See what happens now. If everything becomes screwed-up then you know the problem is the DishNetWork receiver box. You'll probably have to use component video to connect the DishNetWork receiver box (which is fine).

Let us know what happens.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-19-2006, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It's an hdcp problem for sure since you are not using a direct connection since that's what hdcp was designed for so people won't pirate hd content,
But if the big movie companies want to combat piracy why are there hd dvd burners?
You have got to love the irony of the whole subject of piracy and the knuckleheads that desinged the system...
post #6 of 14 Old 11-21-2006, 03:57 PM

I'm seeing simular problems with my V2700. I have an OPPO 970HD and a Comcast DVR connected via HDMI with HDCP. It will work fine from a cold start for about an hour then the V2700 loses sync or something - the screen goes black. I have an HTPC connected DVI to HDMI too, and it never loses sync, works great.

My problems appear to be HDCP and heat related. If I turn the v2700 off for 15 to 30 minutes HDCP enabled devices work normally for about 10 to 15 minutes. If I flash the OPPO 970HD with an older hacked firmware that removes HDCP then it works great without problems, never loses sync.

I tried calling Yamaha support, and the guy I spoke with was not very sympathetic. He said I should carry it back to the Magnolia store and have them confirm my problem - even though they aren't an authorized repair center (I've had it for more than 30 days so I can't exchange it). I asked him what I needed to do if they were able to confirm my problem is with the v2700, and he said I would need to take it to a repair center. I told him there isn't one within 100 miles. He said I'd have to ship it to a repair center at my own expense. The guy acted like he really didn't care at all. He said he hadn't heard of any problems with the v2700's. He also said he wasn't convinced it was a V2700 problem at all - it was probably my devices.

I have since replaced all my HDMI cables with monoprice cables. I've even replaced my HDTV with a KDS60A2000. The exact same problems exist.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-21-2006, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avspot View Post

Hi,

I have been lurking on this forum for several months and received my 2700 yesterday and I fired it with an upconverting DVD player and dish network HD receiver . The receiver is connected to the projector Panasonic ae900u through HDMI and component. I connected the DVD to the receiver with HDMI and the satellite with the DVI/HDMI. The DVD player worked for sometime and then I have flickering screen with normal sound. I couldn't get the GUI to work through the HDMI either, it works through the component. I wonder if my receiver broke. I am already dissatisfied with the OSD and now the DVD doesn't play. Am I doing anything wrong.

Sam

I am interested in the Yamaha receiver 1700 and also the Dish ViP 622 receiver.
The 622 has a HDMI ouput that will connect to the Yamaha. Is that what you are doing. You say " and the satellite with the DVI/HDMI." Why DVI? The 622 has HDMI out and the Yamaha has HDMI in....what DVI? Maybe not the 622?

AND is that working Ok? Or is it just the DVD having the problem?
post #8 of 14 Old 12-19-2006, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

I am having the same problem as Philtor, it starts fine with the components from DVD LG514 to the receiver and then HDMI from receiver to the projector. After a couple of hours the HDMI starts giving trouble and then if I switch my input to component from the receiver to the projector I can watch the movie. It has been a constant problem. ONly other device is the dish network HD receiver, which works fine over the HDMI.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-19-2006, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

post #10 of 14 Old 12-20-2006, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I considered this AVR. Interesting about the HDMI after a few hours of operation though.
HDMI switching was extremely high on my list of priorities. Short of a different AVR, I'm not sure what could be done about such issues.

I suppose it's possible, but HDCP errors are not common at all as far as getting a few hours of proper operation out of it and then having issues show up.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-31-2006, 08:33 AM

I hooked up my RX-V2700 in my office at home about a week ago. Wanted to get the PS3 through to the 50" Pioneer. Things ran great for about an hour. Then everything and anything began to flicker. The receiver seemed VERY hot. By the way, this receiver replaced an RX-Z9. Loved that receiver but NO HDMI. I mention that because if Yamaha tries to tell me that I have it in a bad spot or something, I'll tell them that it is in the same spot as the Z9 was because the Z9 is a MONSTER. After fighting with it for several days I put a box fan on top of the unit and plugged it into the switched outlet on the receiver. Problem (temporarily) solved. Just in case they tell me to send it back, I have bought a couple of the COOL-IT MkII EQUIPMENT COOLERs from Smarthome. I should mention that I have another of these receivers in my den. It has had NO problems to date although it runs much hotter than the Yamaha it replaced.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-31-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avspot View Post

Hi,

Sam

I also had a bad experience with a Yamaha 2700, the HDMI switch did not work with my equipment (oppo 981, PS3, and SA-8300HD-DVR all to a Pioneer 6070 PDP). Component switching worked but not HDMI. Also the subwoofer out was not functional. I got a defective unit, no doubt. Returned it for a refund and replaced it with a Marantz SR-8001 which sounds great and works perfectly. YMMV.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-07-2007, 05:35 AM

I want to chime in here as well, I posted about this already in the "official 2700" topic but my experience with my brand new 2700 is the same as above: works ok for a while then HDMI starts to lose it. The signal source in my case is a PS3 that works just great connected direct to the panel. A digital cable box into a converter into the amp does not seem to trigger the same problem.

Anyway I have to go back to component (and lose 1080p). I suppose this is the copy protection scheme clashing/fighting..
post #14 of 14 Old 02-07-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz View Post

READ MY REPLY

HDCP!!!

I fully agree that this could be at the root of all these problems. Why didn't the Yamaha rep mention this to the guy who had them on the phone?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page