Need advice between Yamaha receivers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-29-2006, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading the numerous posts on H/K reliability issues, I decided to look somewhere else. Well now I found the Yamaha receivers, I saw and heard the HTR-5940 in Best Buy and I liked what I heard. I wanted a slightly more powerful receiver so I decided that I was going to get the 5960. Doing some research led me to to last year's HTR-5890 which has 140 watts per channel. I can get both for about the same price online, so which would you recommend? This years 5960 or last years 5890?

PSN: J_Rodz2588
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-29-2006, 09:22 AM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ25 View Post

After reading the numerous posts on H/K reliability issues, I decided to look somewhere else. Well now I found the Yamaha receivers, I saw and heard the HTR-5940 in Best Buy and I liked what I heard. I wanted a slightly more powerful receiver so I decided that I was going to get the 5960. Doing some research led me to to last year's HTR-5890 which has 140 watts per channel. I can get both for about the same price online, so which would you recommend? This years 5960 or last years 5890?

If you don't need multi zone capabilities, I would go with HTR-5960.
Here is the comparison of their specifications:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/De...p_items=200502
post #3 of 11 Old 11-29-2006, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, when comparing a 100 wpc to 140wpc, especially form the same manufacturer, look at the features that they offer more than the wattage, which is questionable anyway, and as long as you listen at normal volumes, won't make a negligible difference.

Main screen turn on. All your base are belong to us.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-29-2006, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/538173612

Get them before they run out ,and this one is from an authorized dealer on sale for half price and it has more features than the 5960....

De-interlacing explained:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rainbow effect? :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lou
post #5 of 11 Old 11-29-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

With Yamaha, what are the differences between the HTR lines and the RXV line? I notice several of these companies like to put out two different product lines.

How does the HTR6090 stack up against either the RXV1700 or 2700, for example?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
No difference prividing the features are the same, for instance the HTR-5690 is the same as the RXV-659 except the 5690 doesn't have zone 2. It's more marketing than anything. Check out the 3rd colum down.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/faq/faqdet...0&CTID=5009145
post #7 of 11 Old 11-30-2006, 04:15 AM

I think he means htr-5960 not 5690

I have the 5860 which was the same as the 657 minus zone2 and lettering colors.

oh, and I think the rx-v also have support for plugging in an external remote control receiver so that you can stuff the 657 in a closet and just have the remote control reciever in the room you watch in.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-30-2006, 07:34 AM

[quote=

Get them before they run out ,and this one is from an authorized dealer on sale for half price and it has more features than the 5960....[/QUOTE]

good advice I just saw that sale yesterday and was leaning that way but Vanns is no longer offering the 5890.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-30-2006, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 109
The HTR 6090 looks really close to the RX-V1700. It has many of the same features.

I have not personally heard it, but if it is basically the same RX as the RX-V1700 it should be a nice unit.

RX vs HTR would seem to be all about marketing and distribution.

Here's the official answer (from the Yamaha RX FAQ)

What is the difference between the RX-V line and the HTR line AV receivers ?

There are many similarities between these two product lines. The RX-V line and the HTR line are produced in the same Yamaha factory using the same high quality parts throughout. The RX-V and equivalent HTR models have the same warranty periods; the same manufacturers suggested retail price, the same features, and the same remote control units. There is a cosmetic difference found on the front panels of these two lines. The RX-V line maintains the traditional white colored lettering normally found on most Yamaha components, while the HTR line provides a slightly different approach. Yamaha has created a new look by using gold colored lettering in selected areas on the HTR receiver series. However, both the RX-V line and the HTR line feature the same high quality black metal front panel construction. The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz. The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales. The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail. All transactions must be done through the authorized Yamaha dealer network. Any purchase made from an unauthorized dealer/retailer voids the Yamaha manufacturer's warranty.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #10 of 11 Old 01-14-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

With Yamaha, what are the differences between the HTR lines and the RXV line? I notice several of these companies like to put out two different product lines.

How does the HTR6090 stack up against either the RXV1700 or 2700, for example?

The 1700 and 6090 are virtually identical. The 1700 has an additional zone (zone 3) and has switch outputs (2) that the 6090 does not have.

The 2700 is a much more versatile unit with an extra HDMI input and much more sefisticated upscaling capability but costs quite a bit more.

AV Receiver: Yamaha HTR - 6090
HD Cable Box: Motorola DTC-3416
DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS75H
HDTV: Sharp Aquos LC52D62U

Wayne
post #11 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 12:02 PM

I just want to say that I own a HTR-5860... And I love it. If I owned an ipod, maybe I would need the 5960. The device offers numerous ways to enhance my listening experience during movies or music. I have only owned a few ancient receivers in the past. And I am not saying that this one has to be the best out there, but I am saying that while owning this one, I never question the quality and quantity of sound I am hearing thinking another receiver could surpass. I would and have recommend this receiver to anyone desiring quality...

Direct TV HD Receiver..+
Yamaha HTR-5860..+
Klipsch F-2 7 speaker SS..+
Klipsch Synergy 12 sub..+
Optoma HD72..=

PRICELESS
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page