Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 213 Old 12-26-2008, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graydon View Post

I can't compare to any other pre-pros, but I have been really happy with the performanace of my Denon A-7100. I've had it for about 1.5 years now and it has been flawless.

I find that I usually watch movies at about -20 although a recent improvement to the room acoustics has allowed me to increase that to -15 on most movies without being too loud. I find though that sicne I know that is a comfortable level, I like to make sure it is always at that level to begin with and then I adjust it up or down as necessary for the particular movie or audience.

What level do most of you run for volume?

i have had my unit for about a 1.5 years as well and like you am very pleased with it.

i am currently using a level for -13 for movies and -19 for "tv" based content. i try to run my system at optimal/accurate gain levels, but their are a lot of variables in my signal chain. i output my front 3 channels to a behringer dcx 2496 for crossover and eq'ing and then into a qsc hpr 122i's which are powered speakers with adjustable levels as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 213 Old 12-27-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qxlxp View Post

i have had my unit for about a 1.5 years as well and like you am very pleased with it.

i am currently using a level for -13 for movies and -19 for "tv" based content. i try to run my system at optimal/accurate gain levels, but their are a lot of variables in my signal chain. i output my front 3 channels to a behringer dcx 2496 for crossover and eq'ing and then into a qsc hpr 122i's which are powered speakers with adjustable levels as well.

That is interesting. I run my main left and right out to inputs A and B of a DCX2496 digital crossover as well. I also run the .1 LFE channel to input C of the DCX. I have two 18" subwoofers in a gigantic horn-loaded concrete box on each side. The mids are handled by a line array of 5.5" Vifa drivers and I have a Vifa ring radiator tweeter on each side. If I am listening to two channel music, I run the woofers, mids and tweeters as three way systems. If I am listening to a movie, then I run the mids and tweeters as two way systems, and the 18" woofers are driven off the .1 LFE channel. The DCX changes the routing very nicely.

There is a Crown K2 on the woofers (800 wpc), an AB systems power amp on the mids (~375 wpc) and a 60wpc chip amp that I built on the tweeters.

Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
check out my blog... My home theatre, GDS Amps, Music, Studio Blog
post #183 of 213 Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 AM

Absolutely love this thing. Thanks for the advice and info!

I think I'm going to need your help again though, as the manual doesn't address a problem I'm having.

Is there a way to use a different input for sound while using the HDMI for video? I'm getting some goofiness in how my HTPC is outputting sound (can only get 2-channel via HDMI) and would rather use the optical digital output from my old soundcard for music listening anyway, but if I switch off the HDMI input to the Digital Coax in, I lose the video feed on the HDMI. There are other workarounds for this, but it'd be nice if I could use the HDMI for video, the optical out from for general audio, and allow an exclusive application to use the HDMI for audio when it needs it.

Essentially, what I'm asking, is can an HDMI input be used for video while using an optical digital input for audio?
post #184 of 213 Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Yes there is.. when I first got this pre-amp I was using my Oppo DVD player with the DVI output for video (before I purchased my Sony PS3)... using a DVI to HDMI adapter, and then configured that HDMI port to use audio from an optical port. I'm not home, but it was in the menu where you assign HDMI inputs etc... bottom line it did it so it can be done.

Save Your Frequent Flyer Miles !! Barber's jobs are also being exported to China, you will have to fly to China now for a hair cut.
post #185 of 213 Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM

That reminds me...

If you are using HDMI to feed the video to your projector, you will find that the on-screen-display doesn't work over HDMI so I found it extremely helpful to temporarily hook up a small TV via the S-video outs just to get the on-screen-display for setup. The menu structure became much more clear after I did that.

Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
post #186 of 213 Old 04-08-2009, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have one of these but haven't been using it lately. I got an Onkyo after I couldn't find out how to route the center channel of the A7100 to the front left and right speakers. Has anyone been able to do this? I'm thinking of going back to the A7100 but if I can't route the center to the mains I can't because I have no center channel speaker, and I don't want one right now.
post #187 of 213 Old 04-08-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

I have one of these but haven't been using it lately. I got an Onkyo after I couldn't find out how to route the center channel of the A7100 to the front left and right speakers. Has anyone been able to do this? I'm thinking of going back to the A7100 but if I can't route the center to the mains I can't because I have no center channel speaker, and I don't want one right now.

Have you tried turning off the center channel in the menu. Usually that will redirect the Center to the L/R.
post #188 of 213 Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yes, that was the first thing I tried but it didn't work, strangely enough! What's the point of having an option to turn it off and not redirect to the mains?? Can you try it for me? Turn it off and see if the voices come out the L and R fronts!!
post #189 of 213 Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 AM

Everyone seems to be talking about having had it confirmed by tech support that this receiver will do 5.1 and 7.1 over HDMI.

I can tell you that I have just tested the A7100 and can catagorically confirm that this amp DOES NOT receive anything higher than 5.1 over HDMI. The only way that you can get 7.1 audio passed to your surround backs over HDMI is by feeding a 5.1 pcm stream through HDMI to the receiver and enabling dolby EX on the unit. This is essentially an upmix and is not a discreet mix at all.

So, to answer the people asking if it will or willnot, and to confirm to the people who have been told that it will but have no 7.1 material to test it with -

This machine will NOT take 7.1 over HDMI. If Tech Support have told you otherwise, you have been misled.
post #190 of 213 Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the definitive answer. I have another issue...when outputting PCM via HDMI, I can't seem to adjust the individual speaker adjustments (like +/- 1 dB). It will adjust when it bitstream, but not when it is converted to PCM by the player. Anyone have similar issues?
post #191 of 213 Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffster View Post

Everyone seems to be talking about having had it confirmed by tech support that this receiver will do 5.1 and 7.1 over HDMI.

I can tell you that I have just tested the A7100 and can catagorically confirm that this amp DOES NOT receive anything higher than 5.1 over HDMI. The only way that you can get 7.1 audio passed to your surround backs over HDMI is by feeding a 5.1 pcm stream through HDMI to the receiver and enabling dolby EX on the unit. This is essentially an upmix and is not a discreet mix at all.

So, to answer the people asking if it will or willnot, and to confirm to the people who have been told that it will but have no 7.1 material to test it with -

This machine will NOT take 7.1 over HDMI. If Tech Support have told you otherwise, you have been misled.

Well, using DVE Essentials the "Pink Noise Frequency Sweep" with my Blu-Ray player, Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD set for LPCM conversion it does use the rear surrounds (as a set not individual, i.e. 6.1 [mono] not 7.1 [stereo]) and sound does come out of them. I'll need to check with the few 7.1 Blu-Ray discs I have, Dark City, Hellboy II and Nightmare Before Christmas. I had all speakers turned on in the menu, and was in "Auto Surround" mode. I didn't check to see if the appropriate icon was lit, the PCM icon was lit.
I just set things up for 7.1, got 5 channels of PMC, and using my old surrounds as rear surrounds.

erik g
post #192 of 213 Old 07-09-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I tried with Hellboy II, but, I also didn't get anything from the rears until I used the 'EX/ES' surround setup. But, when streaming MPEG-2 transport streams off my Blu-ray Player (a TS file recorded off my Cable box) I would have to manually enable Dolby Digital so it's unclear if I'm enabling full surround or just adding it--the manual isn't quite clear, and since I got 6.1 from the DVE disk in 'Auto Surround' I'm still confused. My other problem is I'm not sure my Blu-Ray player, a Pioneer BDP-94HD, can output 7.1 LPCM so...

erik g
post #193 of 213 Old 07-09-2009, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iove View Post

Thanks for the definitive answer. I have another issue...when outputting PCM via HDMI, I can't seem to adjust the individual speaker adjustments (like +/- 1 dB). It will adjust when it bitstream, but not when it is converted to PCM by the player. Anyone have similar issues?

DVD/SACD or Blu-Ray? I usually do setup without anything running through--just using the test tones--and adjust with my Digital Radio Shack SPL meter. I did check running through the various audio tests on my DVE Blu-Ray disk output as LPCM and they were fairly close, the rears came out a bit high.

erik g
post #194 of 213 Old 07-11-2009, 03:51 AM

I am ready to purchase an Arcam AVP700 (cheap pre-owned nowadays) when I stumbled upon this model. Anybody can confirm if this Denon excel in 2-channel stereo listening? against the Arcam AVP700? I will use the pre-pro 80% music, 20% movie viewing.

Just want to get my feet wet with the HT multi-channel capability of these prepros with balanced XLR outputs. I already have the powered speakers, just need a processor in this price range.
post #195 of 213 Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM

Can someone tell me if this optical output or pass through is absolutely unaffected by the unit itself?
I want to use this unit separately from our cinema system , BUT at the same time.
I need the optical in/out to be a clean pass through unaffected by the unit , but allowing me to harvest center channel information that is coming into it optically via the balanced XLR outputs at the same time.
Thanks.
post #196 of 213 Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 PM

There is a pure direct mode that bypasses any processing (tone control, bass management).
post #197 of 213 Old 08-11-2009, 05:47 AM

Do you know if the default setting is the pure direct mode?

Thanks...
post #198 of 213 Old 08-11-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensound View Post

Do you know if the default setting is the pure direct mode?

Thanks...

the answer is no. you will need to select pure direct which isn't hard as there is a dedicated button on the unit and on the remote.
post #199 of 213 Old 08-11-2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks -one LAST question....
In pure direct mode, will I still have access [via the bal. XLR outputs] of the individual LCR incoming program material..
Thanks
post #200 of 213 Old 08-11-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensound View Post

Thanks -one LAST question....
In pure direct mode, will I still have access [via the bal. XLR outputs] of the individual LCR incoming program material..
Thanks

Yes.
post #201 of 213 Old 08-11-2009, 06:20 PM

Having used the A7100 for the last 6 months I can say it does not disappoint in stereo or 5.1. I'm using Swan F2.2HT speakers and Hypex UcD monoblock amps and it is not out of place with this gear.

Can someone tell me if the Denon upsamples all incoming pcm to 24/192? If this is not by default, is there some setting to enable it?

It would seem a pity if it cannot upsample since it has no less than eight 24/192 DACs, one per channel.
post #202 of 213 Old 01-09-2010, 05:53 PM

First off, I still absolutely adore my A7100. It seems like the sound just gets better and better over time.

I recently decided that the time had come to stop physically turning my power amps off and on and figured I would use the 12V Trigger to power them off and on, so I picked up a Panamax M8-HT-PRO power strip to use with the Denon to power it off and on and a 3.5 Mono Cable to connect the two. Now plugs 5-8 turn off when the cable is connected, but do not turn back on when the Denon is on. I went into the Menu and switched it to enable and set "ON" for all of the different inputs, but still no dice.

What am I doing wrong here?
post #203 of 213 Old 01-10-2010, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupacabra View Post

First off, I still absolutely adore my A7100. It seems like the sound just gets better and better over time.

I recently decided that the time had come to stop physically turning my power amps off and on and figured I would use the 12V Trigger to power them off and on, so I picked up a Panamax M8-HT-PRO power strip to use with the Denon to power it off and on and a 3.5 Mono Cable to connect the two. Now plugs 5-8 turn off when the cable is connected, but do not turn back on when the Denon is on. I went into the Menu and switched it to enable and set "ON" for all of the different inputs, but still no dice.

What am I doing wrong here?

Works just fine turning on my Bryston 9B-ST-THX 5-channel amp, but, I only have it connected to it's one trigger. You might check to see what kind of trigger the Panamax expects. If it just needs a pulse, or a constant charge, and what voltage/current it needs?
I've also got all my inputs set to "on", and it's always worked. My problem is I'm thinking of adding monoblocks, or a second amp (for my 6th and 7th channels) and need to figure out how to add a second trigger.

erik g
post #204 of 213 Old 06-14-2010, 04:33 PM

Is anyone still using this unit? I'm retiring mine after three years of dutiful service. I'm moving on to Onkyo processor.
post #205 of 213 Old 06-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

I'm still using mine. Let me if you want to get rid of it cheap.
post #206 of 213 Old 06-14-2010, 06:31 PM

I still use mine just about every day. It works great and sounds great.

Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
post #207 of 213 Old 06-15-2010, 05:17 PM

I absolutely love this thing and don't see myself ever retiring it. I may move it off the main system and into another room (like I did with my older Rotel), but now that I've got the HTPC properly decoding internally, this unit is perfect for my setup.
post #208 of 213 Old 02-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

This baby is still it for me. I've tried some very good receivers this year and a couple of times I thought I would keep them but it always comes down to the center channel dialog. There's always something about it that bugs me on other units after a while. Always pleased when I hook this little Denon back up.
post #209 of 213 Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM

I have one of these units and am very pleased with it.

A few questions though:

1. I cannot find any download links for updated firmware even though I've read that such firmware exists. Is there updated firmware?

2. I cannot figure out how to switch between a simple stereo setup and a 4.0 setup. I currently only have 4 speakers and do not wish to use the full 7.1 setup.

3. Is there a programming interface for PC via the RS232 port? Is there supported software? I cannot find documentation for anything like this.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #210 of 213 Old 06-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Howdy....not aware of any update.

In the menu go to speaker setup,
If you don't have a sub, set sub for no.
Set FRONT L/R to small or large depending on sub
Set CENTER to NONE
Set SURROUND L/R to small or large
Set SURR. BACK to NONE

Then choose whichever modes you like on the remote.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page