Best 1000 dollar receiver??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read posts till i'm confused to the max. What seems to be the consensus "best"av receiver on the market for around 1000 dollars. I have a Sony 60" xbr1 with an oppo 971 dvd player and direct tv hr 20-700 dvr. Phase tech tetro speakers with boston acoustic surrounds. I've been checking out the denon 2807 the onkyo 674 and 804 and the pioneer elite 82. Am I on the right track? Which receiver would be recommended over the others? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Whatever sounds good to your ears is the best choice so go and do yourself and audition avrs and you will be much happier with your choice.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-01-2006, 12:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
there is no best 1000 dollar receiver... I agree wholeheartedly w/ lou. There are too many options in this price range for you not to do yourself the favor and audition the lot of receivers that fit your bill for connectivity/options. If i were you in this price range, the list of receivers to audition with your speakers/ would be denon, marantz, harman kardon, pioneer elite, outlaw audio (not likely to find an audition but worth a look), nad, and rotel. Are you looking for video processing thru your receiver ?? and if so why? Take your time my brother, you will be happier with an informed decision than a hasty one and it's always (for me) part of the fun to search for the perfect component to meet your needs.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 AM

How likely is it that you'd be able to find 4 different $1K receivers to audition that are driving the exact same speakers in the same room? I'm also looking for a $1K receiver, and from what I've read here, the audio difference from receiver to receiver is negligible at best, especially at this price range. Please correct me if I've been misled. If I am mistaken, please, PLEASE tell me what retailer would have a Yamaha 2700, Pioneer 84TXSi, Denon 3806, and an Onkyo 804 in the same room for comparison purposes.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-01-2006, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab
How likely is it that you'd be able to find 4 different $1K receivers to audition that are driving the exact same speakers in the same room? I'm also looking for a $1K receiver, and from what I've read here, the audio difference from receiver to receiver is negligible at best, especially at this price range. Please correct me if I've been misled. If I am mistaken, please, PLEASE tell me what retailer would have a Yamaha 2700, Pioneer 84TXSi, Denon 3806, and an Onkyo 804 in the same room for comparison purposes.
I agree. I can't find a place that carries the stuff I want to compare side by side. Its tough to try to remember how someting sounded from one store, and some times one day to the next.

Pioneer 61" PDP-6100HD
Marantz SR 7002
PS3
B&W 683, HTM61, DS3
SVS PB13 Ultra

Visio 50" VP50HDTV10A
Denon 1507
PS2
B&W 602 S3, LCR 600 S3, CCM 65

Visio 50" P50HDTV10A & 42" VP422HDTV10A
post #6 of 8 Old 12-01-2006, 09:25 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but I beleive CC has the Denon and the Onkyo (not sure if the 804 would be in stock) to compare.

I was originally looking to go with the Onkyo TX-SR604, but have recently leaned towards spending the extra $$$ on the TX-SR804 ($700.00 range on-line). I am hoping to keep for awhile (3-4 years) as I am in the designing stage of a dedicated HT and would like to use in that room once complete. Currently I would use it to replace an "entry level" receiver (Sony STR-DE597) I use for my living room setup. The speakers I have setup in the LR are the "old" Bose Acoustimass 6 with a seperate powered sub (Yamaha SW215) and the TV in the room is a Samsung 50" DLP with both HDMI & DVI inputs. I know it is not the most expensive sound set up. So my question is...If I purchase the Onkyo 804, am I going to notice a "tremendous" difference between the old Sony vs. the new Onkyo with my current layout until I complete the HT????

All feedback is appreciated,
HT Joe

HT Joe
Tap into your resources...or else - B.O.H.I.C.A.
Bend Over Here It Comes Again
post #7 of 8 Old 12-01-2006, 09:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegamaulers
I've read posts till i'm confused to the max. What seems to be the consensus "best"av receiver on the market for around 1000 dollars. I have a Sony 60" xbr1 with an oppo 971 dvd player and direct tv hr 20-700 dvr. Phase tech tetro speakers with boston acoustic surrounds. I've been checking out the denon 2807 the onkyo 674 and 804 and the pioneer elite 82. Am I on the right track? Which receiver would be recommended over the others? Any help would be appreciated.
I was in this spot a month ago.After many weeks going around and demoing them.I found the Yamaha 6090 same as the 1700 to have the best features and sound.The rotel was nice but lack all the DSP and video stuff.The new 6090 has hdmi 2 which is good for everything one needs.Hdmi3 is just a sells tactic.I love the yammy sound also.But the Marantz in this level was also good,But I find the yammy menu layout alot easier to navigate.BUDDA
post #8 of 8 Old 12-01-2006, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

If you have a Magnolia theater around you, you can audition the Denon, Pioneer, and the Yamaha on the same set of speakers in the same room. I don't think they carry the Onkyo though.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page