Looking for a good power conditioner. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 12-23-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking for a good power conditioner for around $400.00. I have bel canto eVo4, Arcam 300, and sub amp to connect to it, besides a cd player and dvd player.

There are many models out there from the likes of Monster, but I am not clear on which one to get. I don't want to spend too much money on something I don't need.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 12-23-2006, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

There has to be somebody with a humble suggestion?

post #3 of 63 Old 12-23-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.richardgrayspowercompany.com/

I've heard good things about this company's stuff. I don't know much about them other than what I've read. Much better bet than monster stuff. But they could be snake oil just like Monster. We'll have to wait for someone that has used this to chime in.

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #4 of 63 Old 12-23-2006, 02:56 PM

The Monster HTS 3500 MKII has worked well for me so far. I haven't noticed any difference in sound quality but it appears my cable is slight sharper.

It's retail is $399 but many places are liquidating them now. I got mine for $150.
post #5 of 63 Old 12-23-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

But they could be snake oil just like Monster.

Are there controvercies with power conditioners as there are with audio cables? Tell me it's not so.

post #6 of 63 Old 12-23-2006, 03:06 PM

Personally, even though I own a power conditioner, I can't recommend spending a ton of money on one. I would prefer to spend on upgrading the source, the speakers, pre/pro or amp as that is 99.9% of the sound in my opinion.

But I don't doubt that my Monster will provide surge protection if there is ever the need. That's all I really need it for since I have expensive gear that I need to protect. I don't think a power conditioner would perform any serious magic like widening your soundstaging, focusing the images, turning SDTV to HDTV or any other ridiculous claims. Any marginal improvements if actually achieved would be better achieved by upgrading other components in your system.

I can't even recommend my Monster at $399 retail. But I got it for $150 out the door and it is worth the price to me.
post #7 of 63 Old 12-23-2006, 03:07 PM

I have an APC H15 http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...ase_sku=H15BLK

Provides surge protection, noise filtering, and voltage regulation.....
post #8 of 63 Old 01-01-2007, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

post #9 of 63 Old 01-01-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

www.brickwall.com non-MOV surge protection. UL listed 6000V x 1000 repetitions, no degradation.
post #10 of 63 Old 01-01-2007, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
i like panamax and furman at least they don't tell you
to unplug it during a storm.
post #11 of 63 Old 01-01-2007, 06:57 AM

I added a Panamax-5100EX to my system, first for the warranty, second to see if there was any improvements by doing so, and third because it was only $349. I did not tell the wife (who is not a total HT noob) when it was installed and the first thing she asked post-installation is what I did to make the picture look better on the TV, especially on the HD channels.

I am the first to be skeptical when someone says that adding a power conditioner or changing a power cord improved their performance, however, the rental I'm in has had power issues with noise (my computer UPS will kick in when the noise gets too high), so a power conditioner in my situtation may have actually improved something. I'm slowly starting to agree with the wife that the distinction between objects on the HD channels is better, i.e., the reflection of stadium lights in a football helmet, but will have to break out some games already captured from OTA HD and compare with and without the Panamax.

YMMV

SCG
post #12 of 63 Old 01-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

I use a Tripp-Lite Omin Smart 1000 LCD
from costco $99 bux (retail is $209)
1000va
AVR(Automatice Voltage regulation works as low as 89 volts in brown out's)
filters line noise from cable as well as phone
it's a PWM sine wave(instead of cheap simulated sine)
and you can rotate the LCD to work in a rack layout if you want.

great price. I'm sure there are better but it's hard to beat the price on this thing.

http://www.tripplite.com/products/pr...productID=3071

PS3 & A2 = Format Neutral
post #13 of 63 Old 01-02-2007, 07:47 AM

I just bought the APC APC J15 which includes battery back-up which I think is important for a HTPC, TiVo and projector fan. Mine cost around $550 shipped but I think the battery plus APC brand name are worth it.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...ase_sku=J15BLK

-----------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 63 Old 01-02-2007, 09:37 AM

Just installed a Belkin PF40 last night on my system.

Got it online at Amazon for a little over $200 (list is $499+). 1800 Watts max throughput, 6000+ Joules, and 13 outlets, Lifetime Warrantee. Can't even get a base Panamax for that.

Check out the exact specs on Belkin.com. I researched this topic for several months and was going to get the PF30. Then, I saw the price on the PF40 and went for that instead. (Really funny thing was, that at one point, I saw it for $167+ and couldn't find it in myself to just pull the trigger.)

Good luck and happy hunting.
post #15 of 63 Old 01-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

I just got the Belkin PureAV PF30 for $96ish on Amazon. A really reasonable price for decent surge protection and filtering. I wouldn't spend gobs of money, but it's small and reasonably affordable. I don't need more since it's going on a dedicated 2-channel system.

my NADs are new
post #16 of 63 Old 01-03-2007, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK1Fan View Post

Just installed a Belkin PF40 last night on my system.

Got it online at Amazon for a little over $200 (list is $499+). 1800 Watts max throughput, 6000+ Joules, and 13 outlets, Lifetime Warrantee. Can't even get a base Panamax for that.

Check out the exact specs on Belkin.com. I researched this topic for several months and was going to get the PF30. Then, I saw the price on the PF40 and went for that instead. (Really funny thing was, that at one point, I saw it for $167+ and couldn't find it in myself to just pull the trigger.)

Good luck and happy hunting.

Just because it has 6000+ jules does not make it better. Read up on sales ploys regarding jules on surge protectors.
post #17 of 63 Old 01-03-2007, 06:34 AM

I have been going back and forth on what kind protection device I want to get for my system for the past couple of weeks. I just bought a new 50PX60U that gets delivered this Saturday and I want something before that gets here. After doing a lot of reading I've basically settled on one of two Belkin products, the PF40 or the PureAV UPS since they're about the same price, but I can't decide between the two. I was hoping that someone here could give me a little guidance to get me over the hump on this. Here's what I'll be hooking up.

Panasonic 50PX60U plasma
Denon AVR1802 receiver ( soon to be replaced by a Denon AVR2307CI )
Denon DVD-2930CI
DishNetwork VIP633 w/ DVR HD receiver
Hitachi VCR ( for the kids I swear, lol )

I live in Virginia about an hour outside of DC, so we don't have a ton of bad lightning strikes like we had when I lived in Tampa, but we do get the occasional power out. Right now all my equipment runs off a non-dedicated circuit, but I am planning on running one for my HT gear sometime this year. I have also considered getting a PowerBrick unit, in which case I would plug a UPS into that, then the gear into the UPS, but I don't think the wife will allow me to spend the extra $$. So, I want to base my decision on probably only having a 1 unit solution. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne
post #18 of 63 Old 01-04-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader2k View Post

I have been going back and forth on what kind protection device I want to get for my system for the past couple of weeks. I just bought a new 50PX60U that gets delivered this Saturday and I want something before that gets here. After doing a lot of reading I've basically settled on one of two Belkin products, the PF40 or the PureAV UPS since they're about the same price, but I can't decide between the two. I was hoping that someone here could give me a little guidance to get me over the hump on this. Here's what I'll be hooking up.

Panasonic 50PX60U plasma
Denon AVR1802 receiver ( soon to be replaced by a Denon AVR2307CI )
Denon DVD-2930CI
DishNetwork VIP633 w/ DVR HD receiver
Hitachi VCR ( for the kids I swear, lol )

I live in Virginia about an hour outside of DC, so we don't have a ton of bad lightning strikes like we had when I lived in Tampa, but we do get the occasional power out. Right now all my equipment runs off a non-dedicated circuit, but I am planning on running one for my HT gear sometime this year. I have also considered getting a PowerBrick unit, in which case I would plug a UPS into that, then the gear into the UPS, but I don't think the wife will allow me to spend the extra $$. So, I want to base my decision on probably only having a 1 unit solution. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Wayne,

Given your budget, I think you should consider the Tripp Lite HT10DBS which is recommended by AudioHolics on the link below.

http://www.audioholics.com/showcase/...metheater2.php

-Tom

-----------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 63 Old 01-04-2007, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I would stick with the big names - APC, Tripp Lite, Belkin, etc... The brickwall type devices are highly controversial. I'm not saying they aren't better, but I question the fact that these larger companies are using inferior technology. There are too many variables and electricity is too complicated. I would tend to "believe" the technology of the larger companies over these smaller brickwall type companies. Even though they may use MOV vs. series protection, almost all decent devices will warn you once the MOV protection has failed anyways. Another post I read said that a good MOV device will generally last more than 15 years as far as the protection circuits go, because the higher end MOV's are usually made in layers.

So just be careful with those brickwall devices, they may be better but there is really no way to know unless you have a PHD in electrical physics. There are too many factors, one being the size of the device, I read somewhere that series type protection needs to be specially designed and generally placed outside, so who knows what the truth is

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #20 of 63 Old 01-04-2007, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My own search for surge protection that did not degrade sound quality led me to the PS Audio Power Director 3.5, which is beyond your budget. However you may get much of the same benefits from the new PS Audio Quintent for $700, or even the Duet ($400) if 4 outlets are enough or if you use a good quality power strip.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/quin...wer_center.asp

FYI, the worst sounding unit I tried was a Zero Surge series mode unit that is essentially the same as the Brickwall and SurgeArrest units. Zero surge invented the series mode protection circuitry and I believe they actually manufacture the Brickwall and ZeroSurge models. IMO, if sound quality is an issue for you, I would avoid series mode surge protectors.

"The truth is out there!"
post #21 of 63 Old 01-20-2008, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlllava View Post

I just bought the APC APC J15 which includes battery back-up which I think is important for a HTPC, TiVo and projector fan. Mine cost around $550 shipped but I think the battery plus APC brand name are worth it.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...ase_sku=J15BLK

I just got one of these too. Seems to be well built and well thought out. We'll see how it performs over time. So far, I'm impressed.

Links:

Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.
post #22 of 63 Old 01-20-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post

I just got one of these too. Seems to be well built and well thought out. We'll see how it performs over time. So far, I'm impressed.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the APC J15 as well for the battery backup. You can get them to your door for $400.

If you just want a Power Conditioner/Surge Suppressor I agree go with the Audioholic recommendation: http://www.tripplite.com/products/pr...productID=2813
post #23 of 63 Old 01-20-2008, 06:05 PM

First of all, there is a big difference between a power conditioner and a surge protector. Both have their uses, but IMO a power conditioner is more useful at your equipment while a surge protector is more useful at the electric POE (point of entry). That said, if you are going to spend that kind of money, a UPS makes more sense as it will be more effective as a line conditioner for brown-out and other low power/low voltage conditions. The APC J15 is a fine unit and within your price range. Tripplite also makes a good UPS, but I find the APC units to be more reliable. The most important thing to consider is the wattage rating, as this rating will indicate the max power that the unit is capable of. My general rule of thumb for effective protection and nominal operation is to always go to twice the additive watts of the equipment ratings that will be plugged in to take into account peak and surge anomolies. This way you know that the unit will not be overtaxed and will function to spec.
post #24 of 63 Old 01-20-2008, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2000 View Post

My general rule of thumb for effective protection and nominal operation is to always go to twice the additive watts of the equipment ratings that will be plugged in to take into account peak and surge anomolies. This way you know that the unit will not be overtaxed and will function to spec.

Good! the J15BLK I just got runs around 37-40% loading with everything but my sub-woofer (haven't decided about that yet) plugged into it and running. So I have some room left.

Links:

Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.
post #25 of 63 Old 01-21-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
This article has the most useful information on power conditioners that I've ever seen.

Bob Lee
Applications Engineer
QSC Audio Products, LLC
Costa Mesa, Calif.

Secretary,
post #26 of 63 Old 01-21-2008, 12:04 PM

Panamax here. I have the M5400-PM. might be overkill but it did make a differance. Iwant t otry my friends 5100 and see if there is any between the 2
post #27 of 63 Old 01-21-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee (QSC) View Post

This article has the most useful information on power conditioners that I've ever seen.

Heh! I like that. I plan to pick up the same UPS that I have my PC hooked up to and be done with it. Cost me $70.
post #28 of 63 Old 01-21-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee (QSC) View Post

It's a written article, so it must be fact
post #29 of 63 Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2000 View Post

It's a written article, so it must be fact

No, it's a factual article, so it was written.

Bob Lee
Applications Engineer
QSC Audio Products, LLC
Costa Mesa, Calif.

Secretary,
post #30 of 63 Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 458
This thread is much like a person going to see a doctor and asking him to write a prescription for a pain medication. Aspirin? Darvocet? Oxycontin? Morphine? Just as a good doctor will ask questions and look to find the best solution (which might be removing the stone in your shoe), you need to define what it is that you want to accomplish. Sometimes that involves measuring your voltage over a period of time. Sometimes it might be observing that you live in an area that has brownouts or is prone to lighting. Until you can assess your situation, you'll receive a myriad of answers and none of them may address your particular concerns.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page