How to hook up a mixing amp / mixer to my receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-27-2006, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I have a Pioneer 84TXSi receiver and I want to buy a Karaoke mixing amp or just a mixer but I am not sure exactly how to hook them up. I have the following setup:

Sony Blu-Ray Player ==> Pioneer 84TXSi Receiver ==> SONY KDL-52XBR3 TV
Pioneer DVD Player ==> Pioneer 84TXSi Receiver ==> SONY KDL-52XBR3 TV
Comcast Digital Cable ==> Pioneer 84TXSi Receiver ==> SONY KDL-52XBR3 TV
5.1 Speakers ==> Pioneer 84TXSi Receiver ==> SONY KDL-52XBR3 TV

Can I output the audio from the receiver to the mixer for processing and then send the audio back to the receiver so that I can use my existing 5.1 speakers?
Or what other options do I have? I just want to sing Karaoke.

Appreciate all your helps ^_^

CKCAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-27-2006, 01:26 AM

Which mixer? Many mixers come with line outs on RCA. For example, on the Mackie VLZ-Pro mixers, they're labeled Tape Output. Connect that to any analog line-level input on the back of your receiver (pretty much any input except phono). It could be labeled Line In, Tape in, Aux, CD, etc.

Edit: If you want to run audio through the mixer then back into the receiver, look for Tape In and Tape Out jacks at the back of your receiver. You can hook up the mixer like a cassette deck:

Receiver Tape out --> Mixer Line In --- Mixer Line Out --> Receiver Tape In.

You may have to engage some kind of Tape Monitor setting on the receiver. So it’s like recording something on tape and then monitoring the output of the deck, only in this case the mixer takes the place of the cassette deck.

The RCA line in of the mixer might not be routed to its main mix by default. For that you may have to engage switches called Tape and Assign to Main or 2TK to Main or something like that, depending on the kind of mixer. Most mixers have a Tape switch that can send the RCA jack’s input to the monitor or control room outputs. If you don’t disengage it, turning on Assign to Main will result in some nasty feedback if the device connected to the RCA jacks sends what it gets into Tape In and reflects it into Tape Out. Receivers don’t do this so you should be OK, but be on the lookout. Another option is to hook up the receiver’s tape outputs to one of the regular mixer line inputs; you may need an adapter.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-27-2006, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Yuriv:
Thank you very much for your help. I don't have any professional mixers like Mackie etc. I was thinking about buying one of the Vocopro for home use only. (Karaoke) DTX-9900K

Thanks a lot ^_^

CKCAT
post #4 of 7 Old 12-28-2006, 12:22 AM

The best way to deal with Karaoke is to slap your mics directly into the mixer, use the analog outs off your DVD player into the mixer, and then just run the output of the mixer into your Pio. You could then setup a input on the Pio called Karaoke and assign the input coming from the mixer to the video source of your choice.. And then apply a 5.1 effect to it if so desired.

Cheers,
-b
post #5 of 7 Old 12-28-2006, 03:28 AM

Hmmm. The Vocopro DTX-9900K looks interesting. Vocopro calls it a powered Karaoke mixer, but it’s a HT receiver in its own right. It just happens to specialize in Karaoke. You hook up all your A/V gear to it, including the speakers and sub. In fact, they bundle entire HT systems around the DTX-9900K: http://www.vocopro.com/p_sysht.html. I guess they intended for it to be used alone. But they supply pre outs anyway in case you want to use external amplification, like your Pioneer receiver.

The way you describe it though, you won’t be using any of the 120W x 6 amplifiers on the DTX-9900K. That is, no speakers will be attached to the DTX; all amplification will be done by the Pioneer. You might save some money by getting an unpowered mixer instead, even one of theirs: http://www.vocopro.com/p_mxr.html.

Brian (cokecan) makes a good suggestion, which is actually what I was referring to before the edit. Use the analog outs for karaoke, the digital outs for watching DVDs. Good luck!
post #6 of 7 Old 12-28-2006, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

If the Voco has 5.1 pre-outs, and the Pioneer had 5.1 pre-ins, you could use the Voco as a pre-pro and the Pioneer as the amp...

...but, use one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
post #7 of 7 Old 12-28-2006, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I sure would not spend the money to get the amplified Dolby Digital version if I could get the karaoke-only features in a standalone box and use the amps in the Pioneer.

About the only reason I'd go amplified is if you wanted to have a completely separate karaoke system for whatever reason.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors