HDMI HDCP error with Onkyo receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-27-2006, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I recently purchased a new Onkyo TX-SR674 receiver to replace some aging separates. I was really looking forward to taking advantage of the HDMI connection for my HD cable tuner (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD).

When I connect the 8300 to my Onkyo and then output the Onkyo via an HDMI to DVI cable to my Toshiba TV I get a message from my Cable provider (or the 8300) saying that my setup does not support HDCP.

If I just connect the 8300 directly to the TV using the same HDMI to DVI cable it works fine. It would seem that the Onkyo is doing something to the connection.

I'm going to call Onkyo today to see if they can shed any light on this but I figured I would ask here as well.

Any ideas? A search here turned up some similar issues but no real solutions.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-27-2006, 06:43 AM

The firmware on your cable box needs to be updated to allow for use with HDMI repeaters. If you look through not only this forum, but many others, you will find that this is a common problem with not only scientific atlanta boxes but Motorola as well. Unfortunately, you are at the mercy of the cable company on this issue. They will have to send the newer firmware thru the cable line. I have had very little success getting my cable company to upgrade the firmware on my Motorola box. You should call your provider and see what kind of response you get. Good luck!
post #3 of 8 Old 12-27-2006, 06:45 AM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwerks View Post

Hello all,

I recently purchased a new Onkyo TX-SR674 receiver to replace some aging separates. I was really looking forward to taking advantage of the HDMI connection for my HD cable tuner (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD).

When I connect the 8300 to my Onkyo and then output the Onkyo via an HDMI to DVI cable to my Toshiba TV I get a message from my Cable provider (or the 8300) saying that my setup does not support HDCP.

If I just connect the 8300 directly to the TV using the same HDMI to DVI cable it works fine. It would seem that the Onkyo is doing something to the connection.

I'm going to call Onkyo today to see if they can shed any light on this but I figured I would ask here as well.

Any ideas? A search here turned up some similar issues but no real solutions.

Thanks!

Most likely you will need software updates for SA8300HD, so call your cable company too.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-27-2006, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much guys! I just got off of the phone with Onkyo and they echoed what you said here. Now to call Time Warner.

Well I called Time Warner. They said that I have the latest firmware and they weren't really sure what was wrong and had never had anyone call in before with that error message (yeah right!). They are now sending a tech out to see the problem first hand.

This should be fun!
post #5 of 8 Old 12-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwerks View Post

Thanks very much guys! I just got off of the phone with Onkyo and they echoed what you said here. Now to call Time Warner.

Well I called Time Warner. They said that I have the latest firmware and they weren't really sure what was wrong and had never had anyone call in before with that error message (yeah right!). They are now sending a tech out to see the problem first hand.

This should be fun!

The people you spoke to at TWC are, umm, misinformed.

This is a bug in the cheap HDMI implementation in their box. The source device is responsible for establishing that everything downstream of it is HDCP (copy protection) compliant over HDMI. It first asks the receiver, and then it asks the TV *THROUGH* the receiver. This is called "repeater processing". The bug is that the box doesn't implement it. As soon as it discovers it is not directly connected to a TV it simply gives up. Again, this is a bug in the cable box, not in the receiver or TV.

A handful of receiver and pre/pro products have a workaround for this which basically causes them to pretend to the cable box that it is directly connected to a TV. Meanwhile the receiver or pre/pro handles the TV side of things so as to maintain its own right to call itself HDCP compliant.

This problem is so widespread among the cheap HDMI implementations in cable and satellite boxes that I understand Geffen now sells a product that goes between the cable box and the receiver and does the same sort of workaround.

And yet cable and satellite companies still deny this is a bug and refuse to make fixes available, even though, in most cases, the fixes already exist from the companies that mis-engineered these boxes in the first place. They simply say that, of course, their box is designed to connect directly to a TV and more fool you if you try to do otherwise. Typically they will blame the receiver.

By the way, the people who control HDMI have gotten so many complaints about this that they now cheerfully acknowledge this "minor inconvenience" in the way a 'handful of companies" have implemented HDMI -- soon to be fixed by software updates. Of course they deny any argument that their silly obsession with copy protection is the root cause. Then they change the topic to HDMI V1.3.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 10:16 PM

I had this same problem with Time Warner and they even sold me the cable they reluctantly admitted didn't work with their system.
Any recommendations for receivers that do the work around?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-03-2007, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zea14 View Post

I had this same problem with Time Warner and they even sold me the cable they reluctantly admitted didn't work with their system.
Any recommendations for receivers that do the work around?

It's not a matter of receivers that work...it's a matter of finding an 8300HD that has the correct/uptodate firmware revision.

I just aclled TWC and all I said was:

"I have a 8300HD which doesn't work via HDMI through my reciever. It's an HDCP handshake issue that has been fixed with a firmware update to the 8300HD that mine does not have. Could you push this update out to my STB?"

The nice lady on the other end politely said they couldn't do that but they'd have a tech come out to my place and delver a newer 8300HD with updated firmware tomorrow.

She 'seemed' to know what I was talking about since she didn't really ask any questions what so ever.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-04-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post

It's not a matter of receivers that work...it's a matter of finding an 8300HD that has the correct/uptodate firmware revision.

I just aclled TWC and all I said was:

"I have a 8300HD which doesn't work via HDMI through my reciever. It's an HDCP handshake issue that has been fixed with a firmware update to the 8300HD that mine does not have. Could you push this update out to my STB?"

The nice lady on the other end politely said they couldn't do that but they'd have a tech come out to my place and delver a newer 8300HD with updated firmware tomorrow.

She 'seemed' to know what I was talking about since she didn't really ask any questions what so ever.

Just an update...the tech who came out to my house said that my version of SARA (1.87.23.xx) was the latest and he even called the head asking what the version was on their 8300hd and it was the same.

So, I'm out of luck until TWC (formerly Adelphia) in the Cleveland, OH area decide to push out the firmware/software update to me.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page