What amp for Totem speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whats a good amp to power my Totem Forest speakers? I'm looking in the under $1500 range (audiogon used is ok as well). Also should i get a 5 channel amp or a 7 channel amp and bi-amp the forests? I have a Totem model 1 sig. center (i just have the small dream catcher surrounds for now-i would like to get the arro's some day when i have a house for rears). I currently live in a condo so i can't crank it, but like i said i plan to move in to a house in the next few years and dont want to have to upgrade my amp. I currently use a yamaha RXV793 (ive been meaning to upgrade for sometime after i got my speakers but couldn't afford it). I'll probably have to use the yamaha as a pre-processor for a brief time until i figure out what/how to upgrade with the new audio formats on the horizon. I had been considering the Outlaw 7125 and the 990 (but i think i may wait and see what is on the horizon).

Is a 125w from a quality 5 channel amp (or using a 7 channel amp and biamping the forests) enough power?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-03-2007, 01:40 PM

Those Forests are some awesome speakers with the right amplification. You'll be stunned once you have the right gear in front of them!

FYI, most Totems were developed with Sim Audio amps in mind. Both Sim Audio and Totem are based in Montreal, and their owners are friendly and work together frequently. At one time, Totem offered an integrated amp which consisted of, basically, a Sim Audio Moon P3 preamp and W3 power amp in one chassis.

That being said, going multichannel with them is pricey...if you're looking for top-class two-channel performance with good HT performance as a backdrop, the Sim Audio is an excellent choice.

FYI, I have Hawks that have been driven by a Nad receiver, Bryston separates and a Moon inegrated. The Moon is far, far better than the other two with Totems (which can sound bright in a poorly matched system). That's not to say that Bryston in particular doesn't make a great product, it's just not one that sounds its best powering Totems...
post #3 of 4 Old 01-05-2007, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, i sent an email looking for dealers...i think thats pushing it $-wise though.

You were saying to get something like that amp for the forests, and some 3 channel amp to drive the center and surrounds?

Is bi-amping the forests worthwhile? (I mean bang for buck in mind).
post #4 of 4 Old 01-05-2007, 03:28 PM

If budget were not a consideration, I'd get a Moon 5-channel amp and then get a good pre/pro in front of it.

Now that we've got the unattainable out of the way, I'd likely go with something like a Moon integrated to drive the front speakers. It has a HT passthrough, which would allow you to integrate the Moon into a HT system with an AVR (or other pre/pro and amps). As I've never attempted such a hookup, I'm not sure of the cabling requirements etc.

I'd likely get a Moon integrated used (the I5 can be obtained under $1500 used and the I3 can be had for under $1K used) if it can be powerful enough for Forests - you can send an email to Totem to see what they think as they are very familiar with Sim's Moon products. According to Totem's FAQ's, you need 60 watts + for the Forests, and the I5 and I3 have 70 and 100 watts per channel respectively, so it should be sufficient.

Don't get thrown off by those power numbers - the Hawks that I am using sound like they have more headroom and are driven with much more ease than they were with my previous 120-watt Bryston.

Strangely, the cheaper I3 is actually more powerful than the I5, but the I5 sounds a bit better anyways....though perhaps the higher power output of the I3 will be a better match to the bigger Forests?

BTW, Moon integrateds are pretty pricey new, but do come with 10-year warranties that are not valid on used units, FYI...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page