Using Double Bass - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2007, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My receiver has a feature called double bass.Is it boiled down to personal preference or is there a right or wrong?How much difference does it make?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked: 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbydude View Post

My receiver has a feature called double bass.Is it boiled down to personal preference or is there a right or wrong?How much difference does it make?

I think you're going to have to give us a hint. What receiver? And how do they describe this "double bass" feature? What is it supposed to be doing?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3 of 7 Old 01-03-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 5073 Post(s)
Liked: 3546
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbydude View Post

How much difference does it make?

Depends on how you use it.

In normal bass management, when a speaker is set to Large, the sub doesn't get any low frequencies from that channel. "Double bass" usually refers to sending a full range signal to any speaker configured as Large AND sending that same information to the subwoofer output.

The trick to using double bass is knowing where your speakers naturally roll off in the low frequencies. Then you can adjust the crossover and volume knobs on the back of your subwoofer to seamlessly take over from your speaker(s). Once you've got the sub/speaker blend done, they'll act as one unit and you can use your receiver's main volume knob as you normally would.

Some people prefer using this technique (especially for music) instead of applying a crossover to splice where the sub and speaker meet. The idea being that you're making maximum use of your speakers and using the subwoofer minimally. Personally, I don't agree with that concept. The bottom ocatve of most full range speakers can usually be reproduced better through a subwoofer (which can be located independently in the room, for even better low frequency response).

BTW, the double bass feature is sometimes used as a bass boost. Your speakers may roll off at around 40Hz but your turn your subwoofer's crossover knob to 100Hz, duplicating (and boosting) the mid-bass response of your system. I guess it can sound exciting with explosive movie soundtracks, but ever time I heard it, it just sounded bloated.

Finally, if you're really handy with an equalizer and have speakers that go really low, you can use the double bass feature to get flatter bass response in your room. Basically it would be like having two subs: one built into the speaker and one that can be EQ'd and placed independently. With proper adjustment, you can fill in the gaps of the speaker's low frequency response using the subwoofer (since they're both getting the same signal).

So like I said, depending on how you use it, you can have good or bad results.

Sanjay

Sanjay

post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2007, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the response sanjay...my receiver is the onkyo tx-sr504
post #5 of 7 Old 01-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked: 4792
Thanks Sanjay! I hadn't realized "double bass" had become a common marketing term for this.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6 of 7 Old 01-03-2007, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
But if you do this for movies, realize that the left/right mains are getting the full-range bass signal, which could reach down to 20Hz +/-. If you are watching a movie at very loud levels, the mains will try to reproduce that bass at the same time the sub is getting that same signal.

This could eat headroom from the amp, cause distortion or muddy sound in the speakers, and possibly damage the speakers if driven too hard.

So it's preference for music, but for movies it's a good idea to NOT do this.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-03-2007, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Another reason not to do it is that even if you have monster woofers in your main speakers, the huge excursions of the cone at the lowest freqencies cause doppler shifting in the other content being reproduced by that speaker. I use two 15 inch subs for the frequencies from 20 to 40 hz on the LFE channel, then use the output from those subs to feed three 8 inch subs which reproduce the frequencies from 40 to 80 hz and finally feed the remainder of the speakers the frequencies fromn 80 hz on up.

I have one 15 inch sub centered up front, one 8 inch sub supporting the two front right and left speakers, one 15 inch and one 8 inch sub stacked in the center rear.

Just to see what it would sound like I did the "dual bass" with my Denon, and did not care at all for those lower octaves and the coloration in the front speakers with 8 inch woofers. Too much cone movement from the lower frequencies.

Jerry the HT Nut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page