6Likes
post #271 of 17241 Old 03-21-2007, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by billatlakegeorge View Post

I have to say their amps are great but the mmc-1 doesn't cut it I am now using the denon 3805 as a preamp only and it sounds great with the lps=1 as it's new amp

Bill You have both the LMC-1 and the MMC-1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 17241 Old 03-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

If you haven't seen it, here is an interesting read on power required for speakers.

Best
Ray

Enlightening read, but one must take into account SPL at listening position. Speaker sensitivity is measured at 1 meter, so we can assume his measurements are married to the 1 meter position. By the time the signal reaches listening position it's degraded severely. If I hadn't packed up my meter I'd do some measurements myself from my 8' listening position.
post #273 of 17241 Old 03-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatoichi View Post

Bill You have both the LMC-1 and the MMC-1?

I just have the MMC-1 and IPS-1.
post #274 of 17241 Old 03-21-2007, 03:44 PM

Over the last few days, I have "worked" to dial-in a new DMC-1/MPS-1 combo. My past experience is with a Denon 4802R, which I have had for 4 years. A few early observations-

1) Music sound quality is night and day. Head room on top is awsome, bass lines go right through your solarplexas, etc, etc. Sound stage is much larger and detail/texture is there that did not exist before...

2) Movies take some tweaking. The first evening, I was really disappointed with the dialogue, sounded nasal, or if my ears were "plugged up"... 2nd evening, selected L/R to small, tweaked center position, and upped treble 3 db... fixed and wow... but I never had to fuss with all that on the Denon..

3) Supplied HDMI 1.1 2 to 1 switcher works flawlessly, but manual instructions compel you to flash firmware to use it ( don't need to, big waste of time if you have bought recently... wish it was a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 switcher (wait for that big upgrade late this year...

4) Customer support is excellent, just don't try monkeying with firmware flashes on the weekends...

In short, cost twice as much as I paid 4 years ago for the 4802, but well worth it... Big selling point for me was the 40% discount on the next gen... Bells and whistles are far fewer than current Denon alternatives, but da sound... OMG, da sound....
post #275 of 17241 Old 03-21-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf View Post

Enlightening read, but one must take into account SPL at listening position. Speaker sensitivity is measured at 1 meter, so we can assume his measurements are married to the 1 meter position. By the time the signal reaches listening position it's degraded severely. If I hadn't packed up my meter I'd do some measurements myself from my 8' listening position.

The thread over there covers this at least some as well. He covers expected decay from speakers near the bottom of page 1. Not in great detail, though.

I admittedly haven't made it past page 1, since I'm quite sure that I don't need more than what the ULs provide.
post #276 of 17241 Old 03-21-2007, 07:52 PM

I'd be interest to hear what speakers (L/R/C 5.1), (2.1) or 2-stereo or any other type of configuration that you use the Emotiva? Speaker make, model and Sub?
post #277 of 17241 Old 03-21-2007, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by billatlakegeorge View Post

I just have the MMC-1 and IPS-1.

I wonder if the DMC-1 is that much better-sounding than the MMC-1? Because I'm contemplating replacing my Yamaha RX-V1600 (used as pre-pro) with a DMC-1 (the Yamaha has a very good pre-amp section for, an AVR, and has served exceptionally well). I [only] want to switch if it (guaranteed) sounds better. Otherwise, I will probably wait until the NAD T175 surround-processor is released (late May 2007).
http://www.digitalvideoht.it/files/NAD_T175.pdf
post #278 of 17241 Old 03-21-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I wonder if the DMC-1 is that much better-sounding than the MMC-1? Because I'm contemplating replacing my Yamaha RX-V1600 (used as pre-pro) with a DMC-1 (the Yamaha has a very good pre-amp section for, an AVR, and has served exceptionally well). I [only] want to switch if it (guaranteed) sounds better. Otherwise, I will probably wait until the NAD T175 surround-processor is released (late May 2007).

They have a 30 day return policy at Emotiva. Go ahead and pull the trigger, if you don't like it, return it.
post #279 of 17241 Old 03-21-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

From my understanding it is the same as the DMC-1 except that it does not have balanced outputs and the HDMI switching is built in. I could be mistaken but thats what I got from reading some of the threads over on av123 about it.

So unless I'm mistaken the sound quality should be the same unless you really need the balanced outputs.
post #280 of 17241 Old 03-21-2007, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro110 View Post

From my understanding it is the same as the DMC-1 except that it does not have balanced outputs and the HDMI switching is built in. I could be mistaken but thats what I got from reading some of the threads over on av123 about it.

So unless I'm mistaken the sound quality should be the same unless you really need the balanced outputs.

interesting, thanks!
post #281 of 17241 Old 03-21-2007, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soransis View Post

They have a 30 day return policy at Emotiva. Go ahead and pull the trigger, if you don't like it, return it.

this is very tempting.........
post #282 of 17241 Old 03-22-2007, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
is a dedicated 20amp circuit a must for the 7ch 200w/ch MPS-1? I don't think my regular 15amp outlet can handle one of these, plus my pre-amp, 250w Velodyne sub, and a dvd player?
post #283 of 17241 Old 03-22-2007, 05:25 PM

How loud do you listen to your music? In order to consume a full 15amp circuit, you're talking about MASSIVE volume levels (110+).

Granted, it's not 100% efficient once through the box, but a 15amp 110v circuit is 1650 watts.

I rarely hit 90db in my theatre, and that's only for certain movies where I really crank the volume up. In order to pop a circuit you have to have a sustained draw exceeding the circuit. I don't believe you'll have an issue.

michael
post #284 of 17241 Old 03-22-2007, 05:41 PM

I would put in the dedicated recepticle. You may not NEED a 20 amp, but I wouldn't put in less if you have to add one. You shouldn't sustain more than 80% of the cicuit's rating. Adding another amp (sub), dvd player, and pre amp will likely put you well over 80% of the 15 amp cicuit's rating.

And where the hell was I?
post #285 of 17241 Old 03-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

I just purchased the MPS-1 for my HT. It will be hooked to a Pioneer Elite 84 receiver. My question is, the MPS-1 will be plugged into a Monster "Signature Series Home Theatre Reference HTPS 7000 MKII PowerSource with Dual Balanced Pure Power Transformers and Clean Power Stage 5". Any issues with this? Thanks
post #286 of 17241 Old 03-22-2007, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hello everyone,

Before I call Lonnie at Emotiva tomorrow, I thought I'd get some feedback from other big dog owners.

I've had my mps-1 chassis with 2 epm300 mono's for a few months now and have been very happy. I am driving new Axiom m80v2's (stable 4 ohm) which should not be a problem for the mps-1. I am also using my Denon 2805 as a prepro to the mps-1.

Tonight while my wife was gone I had things cranked up pretty loud, reading about 100-106dB's on the SPL meter from 13ft away. I was listening to a little Doobie Brothers Greatest hits and slowly pushed the Denon volume knob to 0, then + 5, then +10.....then.....+13dB (which was max for the Denon with the left/right calibrated at +5dB to achieve 75dB SPL). Anyway, the MPS-1 went into shutdown mode and I could hear the fans running.

I then turned it back on and was playing the Beatles LOVE CD at around +5dB on the Denon master volume, first the left amp shut down, shortly followed by the right amp on the mps-1. Basically, the blue lights turn off.

So what is going on? I've heard the Axiom m80's will shut down some AVR's, but the mps-1 is stable to 2ohms according to the manual. Is it my Denon? I figured that being a prepro, it is just passing the signal to the mps-1 to amp, so there should be no strain on the Denon?

I read the review by Gene at Audioholics, talking about pushing this mps-1 to unbelievable limits with no problems. Any input would be appreciated.

Randy

My Website
post #287 of 17241 Old 03-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack View Post

Hello everyone,

Before I call Lonnie at Emotiva tomorrow, I thought I'd get some feedback from other big dog owners.

I've had my mps-1 chassis with 2 epm300 mono's for a few months now and have been very happy. I am driving new Axiom m80v2's (stable 4 ohm) which should not be a problem for the mps-1. I am also using my Denon 2805 as a prepro to the mps-1.

Tonight while my wife was gone I had things cranked up pretty loud, reading about 100-106dB's on the SPL meter from 13ft away. I was listening to a little Doobie Brothers Greatest hits and slowly pushed the Denon volume knob to 0, then + 5, then +10.....then.....+13dB (which was max for the Denon with the left/right calibrated at +5dB to achieve 75dB SPL). Anyway, the MPS-1 went into shutdown mode and I could hear the fans running.

I then turned it back on and was playing the Beatles LOVE CD at around +5dB on the Denon master volume, first the left amp shut down, shortly followed by the right amp on the mps-1. Basically, the blue lights turn off.

So what is going on? I've heard the Axiom m80's will shut down some AVR's, but the mps-1 is stable to 2ohms according to the manual. Is it my Denon? I figured that being a prepro, it is just passing the signal to the mps-1 to amp, so there should be no strain on the Denon?

I read the review by Gene at Audioholics, talking about pushing this mps-1 to unbelievable limits with no problems. Any input would be appreciated.

Randy

I am driving Onix Reference 3's with the MPS-1, and have never had a shutdown at these extreme levels; though I rarely go beyond 100 db.

Jim

JVC RS25 Projector

84" 16:9 Da-Lite Matte White Model C Screen

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 Display

Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray Player

Pioneer Elite SC-67 Receiver

Pioneer SP-FS52 (2), SP-C22 (1), SP-B22 (4) 7.1 Speaker System

Rythmik F12 Subwoofer

Darbee Darblet Video Enhancer

DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema...

post #288 of 17241 Old 03-22-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyuppy View Post

I'd be interest to hear what speakers (L/R/C 5.1), (2.1) or 2-stereo or any other type of configuration that you use the Emotiva? Speaker make, model and Sub?

My set up is-

L/R- Kef Q7s
Center- Kef 100
Sub- Kef TDM-45B
Side Surrounds- Kef TDM-15
6.1 Rear- Kef q1

BTW, for you amperage consumption trackers, my set up (with TV, sub, and all equip on the same 15 AMP circuit is less than 6 amps (per my panamax EX 5400) at semi-ear splitting volume.... Room size is 16' by 17' by 9'
post #289 of 17241 Old 03-23-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:

Hello everyone,

Randy

Not 100% sure but believe your Denon pre-out is only rated at 1.2v, you may be putting distortion out to the amp which certainly won't help when enjoying crankvona? I would think it would start sounding pretty bad if the input signal was clipping. From an Audioholics review found here ...
It took about 1.65Vrms to drive the MPS-1 to full power. Had the MPS-1 followed standard convention of Av = 23dB some preamp sections of receivers such as the Yamaha RX-V2500 may not have been able to drive it to full power since that receivers' preamp outputs clip when output signals exceed 2Vrms. My personal criteria for amplifier gain structure is that it should be able to hit full power when driven with 2-3Vrms. The MPS-1 fell well within this criteria...

Just a thought... let us know what Lonnie has to say.
post #290 of 17241 Old 03-23-2007, 08:14 AM

How long does it take the receive the LMC/LPA? I have a Marantz SR4001 and wanted to test them side by side before the 30 days i have to return my receiver.
post #291 of 17241 Old 03-23-2007, 08:29 AM
ped

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaygolf View Post

How long does it take the receive the LMC/LPA? I have a Marantz SR4001 and wanted to test them side by side before the 30 days i have to return my receiver.

If you order in the AM EST they'll probably get it out later that day. For me in Western PA, it was 4 days from the time I hung up the phone till they were delivered.
post #292 of 17241 Old 03-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Tcr

Quote:

Hello everyone,

Randy

Sirquack, all I can say is thank God it's not just me. (but sorry also)

I have a pair of Ref1's (also rated 4ohm) that do the exact same thing with my MPS1 running a 2807 as pre/pro. One question, though, does the red led come on when the blue goes off for you, or does the blue just go out?
I've posted the problem on a few boards (including this thread) called Lonnie and nobody really has a definite answer, though lots of theories. I guess it could be a combination of some of them. One suggestion was to try to wire one channel in either series or parallel. Not Lonnie's suggestion,btw, he just couldn't figure it out. (still might try that if nothing else works before I either send back the MPS1 or have to buy a new pre/pro which I just bought at xmas)
Anyway, Lonnie asked me to email my impedance specs and connections to him and I am eagerly awaiting a reply. Hopefully he's asking some more experienced techs than I.

Good luck and PM me if you find out anything good.
I really hope it's not just because it's a Denon pre/pro. "shudder"

"We were children, once, playing with toys..." ~ Steve Winwood
post #293 of 17241 Old 03-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Hello everyone,

Randy

You running your speakers as "large"?
Using a subwoofer?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #294 of 17241 Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Tcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

You running your speakers as "large"?
Using a subwoofer?

Done it with; small/large setting, with and without sub, with LFE and without LFE+.

I thought that at first, that maybe they were trying to put out too much bass and so adjusted the crossover also.
In 5.1 or 7.1 it happens with 'explosive' scenes in HT
In direct/stereo mode it still happens.
In pure direct it still happens.
Mic'd it, balanced it, SPL'd it, it still happens.
WTF!
It STILL happens.

post #295 of 17241 Old 03-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Tcr

Oops, sorry Gov, didn't realize that you were addressing Sirquack.
Not trying to hijack. Just trying to find a solution for my own problems.

Ted

post #296 of 17241 Old 03-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

I guess I am addressing you both

Your situations don't sound right, something weird is going on

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #297 of 17241 Old 03-24-2007, 04:04 AM
Tcr

Played around with the Denon's settings again last night but to no avail.
It sounds awesome at 93/94 SPL @ -12 on the AVR but anything more (-10, -9) seems to trigger a module clamp down. No distortion, no warning, still plays, but not amped!
I've even switched them out with the Rocket 760's and the rockets keep on rockin'...
The rockets are 8ohm so they should be easier, I know, but the MPS1 is supposed to be stable into 2ohms!
What's up with that?!

post #298 of 17241 Old 03-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Somthing is up with your Denon and those speakers!

post #299 of 17241 Old 03-24-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks Rweeb, Gov, and Tcr.

Rweeb, that is interesting reading about the Denon's output voltage and the Audioholic review, I wonder if that is related to the problem? Has anyone asked Emotiva about these findings?

Tcr, yes the blue light turns to red, so the amp really isn't shutting down totally.

Gov, I use small for my Axiom m80's with a crossover of 80hz to the mains. Yes, I have the Axiom EP600 monster sub.

Last night I had an interesting situation occur, see below:

I'm going to recheck my wiring today to make sure I don't have a strand or something touching, which I highly doubt. Last night I had a bunch of friends over and we watched to movie "The Marine". At some time during the movie the left amp shut down because after it was over I noticed the blue light turned red for that channel.

I was sitting clear over to the right side of the room in front of the right m80, so I didn't notice the left channel missing until I looked over at the amp.

My Website
post #300 of 17241 Old 03-24-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcr View Post

Played around with the Denon's settings again last night but to no avail.
It sounds awesome at 93/94 SPL @ -12 on the AVR but anything more (-10, -9) seems to trigger a module clamp down. No distortion, no warning, still plays, but not amped!
I've even switched them out with the Rocket 760's and the rockets keep on rockin'...
The rockets are 8ohm so they should be easier, I know, but the MPS1 is supposed to be stable into 2ohms!
What's up with that?!

Know anyone with a higher quality pre/pro or an O-scope? Would be nice to know the results but might be time for an RMA from Emotiva, let them figure it out.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page