post #331 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soransis View Post

don't most "new" receivers/pre/pros come with 1.2 now?

yeah, it would definitely be nice if it had v1.2a (like many current AVR's), this would yield multi-channel audio capability, etc.,...otherwise a very nice unit for, essentially, $1000.00 (cheap for Denon).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 05:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That Denon looks like a 3806 minus the amps... cool though.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #333 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

yeah, it would definitely be nice if it had v1.2a (like many current AVR's), this would yield multi-channel audio capability, etc.,...otherwise a very nice unit for, essentially, $1000.00 (cheap for Denon).

HDMI 1.1 is all you need for multi channel PCM. It's just a matter of whether it's implemented in the pre/pro or not. From browsing the manual, I'm betting it does pass 5.1 PCM over HDMI and will also have no problem switching 1080p over HDMI.
I'd rather not have scaling in the receiver or pre/pro unless they are going to use a quality scaler, which most won't.
post #334 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 09:56 AM

I am torn between the Emotiva Ultra which is the LPA-1 and the LMC-1 and the Marantz 7100.

I am running the Paradigm Studio 60's upfront and the Studio 20's in rear with matching center.

Both can be had for around the same price of 900 dollars or so.

I ONLY care about sound quality in a 5.1 situation. And I currently run the Sony 4es receiver. So it would also have to be an upgrade.

Any suggestions?
post #335 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

You might want to read through this AV123 thread to get a feel for what the current status of the LMC-1's firmware is.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #336 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Corr View Post

HDMI 1.1 is all you need for multi channel PCM. It's just a matter of whether it's implemented in the pre/pro or not. From browsing the manual, I'm betting it does pass 5.1 PCM over HDMI and will also have no problem switching 1080p over HDMI.
I'd rather not have scaling in the receiver or pre/pro unless they are going to use a quality scaler, which most won't.

so did'nt you order one of these unit's (I forget)?
post #337 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Hi everyone,
I just finished reading all 12 pages of this thread, and it seems that the LMC-1/LPA-1 combo is a pretty good deal. The only thing i didn't see was anyone commenting on pairing this combo w/ SVS speakers (i think someone mentioned using one of their subs). Right now, i have a Panny XR57 + 7.1 Audiosource junk speakers, and am looking to upgrade to SVS' new SCS-01(M) 7.0 speaker package, using the SBS-01 speakers for surrounds and a 20-39 PCi sub. My room is 21.5'W x 15.5'D x 9'H. If anyone is using this setup please post ur impressions. Thanks.

"Life doesn't get much better than watching a DVD movie blown up to near-theater size in the comfort of your own home" - Sound & Vision Magazine June 2002
post #338 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

You might want to read through this AV123 thread to get a feel for what the current status of the LMC-1's firmware is.

Man, I was ready to pull the trigger today on the LPA/LMC combo and followed your link. Now I am kinda scratching my head again, do I want to deal with these bugs? I had narrowed it down to the Outlaw 1070 and the Emotiva combo.

However, none of these really seem to be major show stoppers, but at the same time having to flash the units firmware myself or having to send it in for that is not sounding like my cup of tea at the moment.

Buut.....the price is so good on the Emo for what you get!

Aaargh....
/starts to pull hair out of head.
post #339 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

A firmware update in and of itself wouldn't necessarily be a big deal, but there are strong indications that not all bugs can be fixed with a user-installed firmware update (instead requiring a trip to Tennessee so Emotiva can install the update themselves) and the interface cable/dongle required to do user-installed firmware updates are apparently being shipped out for a single use and then returned to Emotiva - if that truly is the case, it would mean a few extra hoops to jump through for future firmware updates.

I've been following the LMC-1 for a long time, and while the price is impressive I've been pretty confused by some of the firmware problems. In light of the confusion (which I think it's safe to say I'm not alone in), it might be useful for me to post the latest list of questions collected in the LMC-1 Support thread at AV123:

LMC-1 Issue List
  1. Pro Logic II/IIx Music/Movie selection: I'm going to break this out of the "surround mode memory" item in my original post since it appears to be a separate issue. The LMC-1 appears to want to stay set to Pro Logic II Music mode even when the user tries to set it to Movie or Virtual. This was originally reported by cburbs in this thread and has been confirmed by several others even with units shipped in the last week or two (which have the latest firmware).
  2. Surround Mode Preference Memory: Surround mode "stickiness" appears to be missing, even from units shipping with the latest firmware. Does the LMC-1 use pre-defined default modes for different source formats? I haven't been able to find a consistent pattern in the reports from different users, but there have been numerous comments (marjen, MerlinWerks, ...) that suggest that the unit defaults to specific pre-defined modes when encountering PCM and Dolby 2.0 sources - with no way for the user to "teach" the unit what their preference is for those source types. We could really use some official documentation on what logic is being used to select modes, and why that logic is in place at all instead of the more common (and much more useful) approach of remembering user preferences.
  3. Missing Center Channel with Dolby 5.1: This is an intermittent issue (fixed by toggling through modes manually to re-select Dolby Digital) that Dan has said they have not been able to isolate and resolve. Might it be possible later to make a dongle-installed firmware update to fix this?
  4. Dolby EX displayed when Dolby 2.0 is decoded with no additional processing: Dolby EX appears to automatically "engage" with Dolby 2.0 sources. Dan has confirmed that this is a labeling issue and that Dolby Digital decoding is being applied only, resulting in two channel output. This has not been changed in the latest firmware. Can this be a dongle-instaled fix later?
  5. DTS ES Matrix/NEO:6 does not work with DTS 5.1 sources: We've had some good news on this front - Dan has confirmed that this behavior was a bug. This should also have been fixed in the latest firmware, but we haven't gotten user confirmation of it yet.
  6. Intermittent Extended Signal Acquisition Delay: Dan confirmed that with some sources (satellite receivers being the worst offenders) the signal acquisition time can increase from the normal time of 2 or 3 seconds to 10 or 15 seconds.
  7. Dolby Remote Button: This is a new bug, seen by danganh and MerlinWerks when using the latest firmware. MerlinWerks' experience indicates that the Dolby button will offer 3CH if pressed the first time a Dolby 2.0 source is detected, followed PLIIx, then not move from PLIIx no matter how many times the button is pushed. He has some specific details in this post.
LMC-1 Question List
  1. Firmware Update Dongle: We know that the dongle to allow users to update firmware at home is coming soon, but there also appear to be certain portions of the LMC-1's operating firmware that cannot be updated with this dongle. Dan's recent post about their availability indicates that users will be asked to ship the dongles back to Emotiva after they're through. Can we get any specifics on what issues still require a trip to Tennessee and how future firmware updates (beyond the one that will fix DTS ES) will be handled?
  2. Alternative to the Dongle: Without any details on what this firmware update dongle entails, I'll ask what may be a silly question. DOes this thing include some sort of electronics, or is it simply a specialized serial cable? If it were a serial cable, could the pin mapping be provided to LMC-1 owners so they would have the option of picking up a $5 serial cable at Radio Shack, cutting one end off, and making their own "dongle"?
  3. Documentation: Danganh's disappointment is exactly the sort of thing that I was worried about when I brought this up initially. Everyone would benefit from some sort of FAQ or manual addendum that details things like bass management and surround mode selection logic.

Hopefully Emotiva will be posting some feedback regarding these items in the near future. If that information gets posted as AV123, I'll add it to this thread as well.

gonk
post #340 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Pro Logic II/IIx Music/Movie selection: I'm going to break this out of the "surround mode memory" item in my original post since it appears to be a separate issue. The LMC-1 appears to want to stay set to Pro Logic II Music mode even when the user tries to set it to Movie or Virtual. This was originally reported by cburbs in this thread and has been confirmed by several others even with units shipped in the last week or two (which have the latest firmware).

This is the only one that really concerns me. If it is stuck in Music mode, then how will that affect me when I am watching a movie? According to wikipedia:

DPL II Music - Upmix Plain Stereo into 5.1 from sources such as CDs.

DPL II Movie - 5.1 Dolby Surround Decoding for Movies

This doesn't help much, but I can infer that DPL II Music takes regular stereo and clones it on the other channels, where the movie mode has actual encoding for things such as effects being routed to the surrounds - of course I could be wrong, this is just a guess.

How often does one use these modes? Arent most things encoded in Dolby Digital or Digital EX at this time? Pardon my ignorance, this is my first real venture into surround modes.
post #341 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 03:43 PM
pas

Just received the LMC-LPA units...
Initial visual impressions are, unfortunately, negative. Due to what I would consider poor quality control at least from the visual (I don't mean aesthetics) and shipping/handling point of view:

* inner shipping carton not sealed (outer carton shows multiple layers of tape and resealing)
* finger prints on display panel, rear and side panels
* black stain on function knob
* rear panel scratch mark below R channel analog DVD input connector
* missing plastic cover on one of the optical inputs - dust or moisture could have become an issue

Called Emo customer support, who was apologetic and assured me "that the unit is not an open box unit, but what I am seeing is 'probably' the result of handling during the firmware upgrade that has been applied to all of the new units in stock"...

I must state that I have never experienced any such issues with my Yamaha, Denon, Infinity or HSU gear in the past. Just disappointing about Emo given all the positive reviews here and elsewhere.

Still, I'm optimistic that the unit's audio performance will be far better!
post #342 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas View Post

Please do let us know about the performance.
post #343 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 06:32 PM
pas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBee View Post

Please do let us know about the performance.

I certainly will - given all that I've learned from these forums
post #344 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Initial visual impressions are, unfortunately, negative. Due to what I would consider poor quality control at least from the visual (I don't mean aesthetics) and shipping/handling point of view:

* inner shipping carton not sealed (outer carton shows multiple layers of tape and resealing)
* missing plastic cover on one of the optical inputs - dust or moisture could have become an issue

Called Emo customer support, who was apologetic and assured me "that the unit is not an open box unit, but what I am seeing is 'probably' the result of handling during the firmware upgrade that has been applied to all of the new units in stock"...

I must state that I have never experienced any such issues with my Yamaha, Denon, Infinity or HSU gear in the past. Just disappointing about Emo given all the positive reviews here and elsewhere.

You are not the first person to experience this from Emotiva as of late. The fingerprints and unsealed carton box etc. There is no excuse for this!! I hope they take better care in the future. I have the LPA-1 and fortunately my package came in prestine condtion. I love the amp BTW!!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #345 of 17235 Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhull302 View Post

This is the only one that really concerns me. If it is stuck in Music mode, then how will that affect me when I am watching a movie? According to wikipedia:

DPL II Music - Upmix Plain Stereo into 5.1 from sources such as CDs.

DPL II Movie - 5.1 Dolby Surround Decoding for Movies

This doesn't help much, but I can infer that DPL II Music takes regular stereo and clones it on the other channels, where the movie mode has actual encoding for things such as effects being routed to the surrounds - of course I could be wrong, this is just a guess.

How often does one use these modes? Arent most things encoded in Dolby Digital or Digital EX at this time? Pardon my ignorance, this is my first real venture into surround modes.

Music and Movie are very similar - the Wikipedia entry is a little confusing there. They both take 2-channel signals, encoded as stereo or Dolby Surround. Stereo signals go to the proper speaker. Signals that are the same in both left/right channels go to the center. Signals that are out of phase go to the surrounds. VHS tapes were often encoded in Dolby surround, so sound was output with 2 channels, the channels matrixed into the signal, and the receiver would extract the channels from that using Dolby Pro Logic (no "2").

DPLII is used for 2-channel audio, either analog or 2-channel DD. DD 5.1 has each channel separate and discrete, so DPLII isn't needed.

Here's a basic explanation:
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...ologic_II.html

Just from my limited observations, the difference between Music and Movie is that the dialog, etc. is much more focused in the center, less sound from the side. Music has the dialog in the middle, but it is more diffuse across the front. There are probably some differences in the routing of sound to the surround channels as well.
post #346 of 17235 Old 03-31-2007, 01:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

That Denon looks like a 3806 minus the amps... cool though.

It's missing a lot more than just the amps of a 3806. Look at all the other features that the 3806 has, that the DN-A7100 don't.
post #347 of 17235 Old 03-31-2007, 08:58 PM

I was ready to redo the whole system again. Found EMO! Was looking forward to dropping for the DMC-1/MPS-1 combo to go with my 4 ohm Mirage OM6's and Mirage 5.1 set up. Thought it was all to good to be true and it seams that it is.
Found these forums again to begin the info hunt. Seems like more and more people have been coming forward with amp issues almost every day (especially over at AV123), and now this open box/dirty units issues... Guess I will be waiting longer to find out what kinda fix they come up with. Sure hope thats before May 31st (free shipping ends)...
Seams the same few rave about the combo but is the bad beginning to out way the good around here. I know most only come to forums when they have an issue but most audio forums are filled with enthusiasts that are around anyway, but still just a few peeps that push the gear... Dang it! I was excited...
post #348 of 17235 Old 03-31-2007, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Lets not all get excited about one persons packaging issues. I was overly impressed with the packaging/protective measures taken on my mps-1, and seperate epm300 shipments as I expand my chassis. In my opinion, much better than most electronic items I've ordered in past years.

My Website
post #349 of 17235 Old 03-31-2007, 10:36 PM

If you are an audiophile, expert in any sense of the word or have some kind of a measuring device about the sound or video and placed it on a stool in the middle of the room, please skip this post before your head explodes.

I follow AV somewhat frequently, but it certainly is not my higher calling. I have I would guess a relatively average HT set up, or maybe in these forums a pedestrian, Panny plasma, Toshiba HD-A2, PS3 for BR and 777ES for SACD. Whatever crap Time Warner gave me for HDTV, SA 8300HD I think, all hooked to an ancient Denon AVR3801. Bunch of Mission speakers in 5.1 set up from uBid or eBay 7 years ago, I don't recall. HDMI from the Toshiba to the Panny, I was blown away, not an expert but even I can see the difference. This got me to thinking, is there something similar to the Audio? I heard from several people that the Denon that I have is acoustically very comparable to the newer Denon's and the difference is in the processing HDMI 1.3 etc.

Oh wellz. Unfortunately reading some of these forums does give you an education. Pre/Pro and an Amp is better than a receiver, less inteference and also if you want to upgrade the Pre/Pro you can still keep the amp. At once something in these forums made sense to me. So I looked around a bit, Outlaw, Sunfire, Anthem (never listened to any of them, don't bother) and somehow came across Emotiva. High End $3,000, moneywise OK, but I would have no idea what I am buying. So then I scroll down to the LMC / LPA combo and they are telling me $899 shipped with a 30 day return? I am not sure if I ever returned anything that I ordered over the internet, but it made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. i read some of the reviews and said, I have very little to lose here.

I ordered the combo, and to my great surprise it showed up 3 days later. My doorman thought it was furniture, and I told him I was opening a new club (I think for a while he thought I was serious). So I peel these things out of the box, and I am sure there is not one expert in this forum who would agree, but when I looked at them I said holy shiat!! I could not believe the size and looks of this thing. So I proceed to replace my Denon AVR-3801 with these components, not knowing what to expect. Here is the verdict:

I love to listen to SACD, my favorites are Miles Davis Kind of Blue and Coltrane Love Supreme. The difference was amazing, I was floored. There was no change in speakers or cables, and I was sitting in amazement. I ordered $300 worth of SACDs the next day,

To my absolute amazement, and I work from the home office a lot, the radio quality was totally on a different level. Radio??? I am not even going to guess if this is acoustics or better tuner, I do not know. Makes me want to look at the HD Radio though.

BR / HD DVD - Remarcable improvement in sound. HT blew me away.

TV - Not much noticeable difference in general on regular TV, but when watching HD broadcasts, like the NCAA tourney tonight, yes a marked difference.

Couple of other points - why did nobody tell me that I was wasting my money buying brand name cables!!!!!! I have a bag full of name brand useless cables (componenet, S-Video etc.) worth at least a thousand dollars. Monoprice, blue jeans cable anyone!!! I am signing for the email update, no matter how annoying it is...

If not obvious from the post I am listening to Miles' Kind of Blue definitely my favorite, especially like the live from Stockholm, I am from the general hood.

A quick note on support, I dealt with Lonnie at Emotiva for the most part but he had to go his parole board hearing today (I am kidding he went fishing, don't make me take the fifth...), and then Robert took over and there was not a question he could not answer. In fact he helped me in areas that are not related to his gear, thank you very much. These guys are best in the very best sense of the word.

Roni
post #350 of 17235 Old 03-31-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsraitosola View Post

A quick note on support, I dealt with Lonnie at Emotiva for the most part but he had to go his parole board hearing today (I am kidding he went fishing, don't make me take the fifth...), and then Robert took over and there was not a question he could not answer. In fact he helped me in areas that are not related to his gear, thank you very much. These guys are best in the very best sense of the word.
Roni

I called them myself the other day, first thing I noticed is a human answered the phone and he was able to answer my questions. The same thing went for HSU, human answered.

I just pulled the trigger on this combo. There has been a little bit of bad press from fingerprints and such on the pre/pro, but if the thing performs as people say at this price point, I can easily overlook it if mine comes in the same shape.

I was having second thoughts on purchasing this combo after reading about the software bugs, but after talking to them in person (whoever I talked to was very open and forthcoming on the known issues), seeing there is a software update due out on the 18th, and a slammin' return policy, I decided to do it....
post #351 of 17235 Old 04-01-2007, 06:41 AM

These are good to hear. Especially from rsraitosola, since I'm probably about at the same 'level' with HT.

Hearing talk about what mode does what only complicates the issue for me. If it plays music and movies and they sound good (I do - did? - have pretty good ears, so I CAN tell that), then I'm happy for this price.

The only thing gonk posted earlier that worries me is user settings being 'remembered'. That will certainly annoy me and push my wife's button's, too.
post #352 of 17235 Old 04-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

...it might be useful for me to post the latest list of questions collected in the LMC-1 Support thread at AV123...
...If that information gets posted as AV123, I'll add it to this thread as well.

Hey Gonk! Am I the only person who cannot access AV123 today? My first try (using a previously-successfully-used bookmark) sent me to a porn site , and now I get blank pages...

Rem facias, rem
si possis, recte, si non, quocumque modo, rem.
post #353 of 17235 Old 04-01-2007, 10:55 AM

You're not alone... I thought I was blocked out because of my post up this page a bit... HA! Had a buddy check. he got the porn too...
post #354 of 17235 Old 04-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Question for the guru's.

I am hooking up my new MPS-1 and after a back breaking time last night I have a quick question/problem. I hooked the mps into a "Signature Series Home Theatre Reference HTPS 7000 MKII PowerSource with Dual Balanced Pure Power Transformers and Clean Power Stage 5". My problem is when I turn the mps on for the first time all 7 lights go on but if I turn it off right after I tuned it on and then back on, the 7 lights (amps) do not come on. This happens when I plug it directly into a wall socket. is there an issue here or am I just new to amps?

I hope to god i don't have to mail this thing back. My poor back...
post #355 of 17235 Old 04-01-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsraitosola View Post

If you are an audiophile, expert in any sense of the word or have some kind of a measuring device about the sound or video and placed it on a stool in the middle of the room, please skip this post before your head explodes.

I follow AV somewhat frequently, but it certainly is not my higher calling. I have I would guess a relatively average HT set up, or maybe in these forums a pedestrian, Panny plasma, Toshiba HD-A2, PS3 for BR and 777ES for SACD. Whatever crap Time Warner gave me for HDTV, SA 8300HD I think, all hooked to an ancient Denon AVR3801. Bunch of Mission speakers in 5.1 set up from uBid or eBay 7 years ago, I don't recall. HDMI from the Toshiba to the Panny, I was blown away, not an expert but even I can see the difference. This got me to thinking, is there something similar to the Audio? I heard from several people that the Denon that I have is acoustically very comparable to the newer Denon's and the difference is in the processing HDMI 1.3 etc.

Oh wellz. Unfortunately reading some of these forums does give you an education. Pre/Pro and an Amp is better than a receiver, less inteference and also if you want to upgrade the Pre/Pro you can still keep the amp. At once something in these forums made sense to me. So I looked around a bit, Outlaw, Sunfire, Anthem (never listened to any of them, don't bother) and somehow came across Emotiva. High End $3,000, moneywise OK, but I would have no idea what I am buying. So then I scroll down to the LMC / LPA combo and they are telling me $899 shipped with a 30 day return? I am not sure if I ever returned anything that I ordered over the internet, but it made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. i read some of the reviews and said, I have very little to lose here.

I ordered the combo, and to my great surprise it showed up 3 days later. My doorman thought it was furniture, and I told him I was opening a new club (I think for a while he thought I was serious). So I peel these things out of the box, and I am sure there is not one expert in this forum who would agree, but when I looked at them I said holy shiat!! I could not believe the size and looks of this thing. So I proceed to replace my Denon AVR-3801 with these components, not knowing what to expect. Here is the verdict:

I love to listen to SACD, my favorites are Miles Davis Kind of Blue and Coltrane Love Supreme. The difference was amazing, I was floored. There was no change in speakers or cables, and I was sitting in amazement. I ordered $300 worth of SACDs the next day,

To my absolute amazement, and I work from the home office a lot, the radio quality was totally on a different level. Radio??? I am not even going to guess if this is acoustics or better tuner, I do not know. Makes me want to look at the HD Radio though.

BR / HD DVD - Remarcable improvement in sound. HT blew me away.

TV - Not much noticeable difference in general on regular TV, but when watching HD broadcasts, like the NCAA tourney tonight, yes a marked difference.

Couple of other points - why did nobody tell me that I was wasting my money buying brand name cables!!!!!! I have a bag full of name brand useless cables (componenet, S-Video etc.) worth at least a thousand dollars. Monoprice, blue jeans cable anyone!!! I am signing for the email update, no matter how annoying it is...

If not obvious from the post I am listening to Miles' Kind of Blue definitely my favorite, especially like the live from Stockholm, I am from the general hood.

Roni

Pretty cool story. For $900 i would take emotiva seperates any day over the most expensive denon. That lmc-1 processor for $499 is a amazing deal alone.
post #356 of 17235 Old 04-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

Hey Gonk! Am I the only person who cannot access AV123 today? My first try (using a previously-successfully-used bookmark) sent me to a porn site , and now I get blank pages...

Your are not alone. Same thing happened to me. Still down the last time I tried to access a couple minutes ago.

When we're able to gain access, and if anyone is interested, I received my LMC/LPA combo a few days ago and posted results of a bunch of tests regarding the LMC surround mode quirkiness.

As far as the condition of the LMC upon receipt that some people are questioning, my inner carton was opened but probably due to the firmware upgrade done prior to shipping and inclusion of the external HDMI switcher. There were some fingerprints on the front display but not surprising since it was handled during the upgrade process. Everything else on the LMC looked as new.

Sound quality on these units is incredible! Prior to this pre-pro/amp setup, I was running a Denon AVR-3300 and then a Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX (both in a similar retail price point as the LMC/LPA). Both receivers over the years were used on the same speaker system, in the same room, with the same cables. Comparing the sound of those receivers to the LMC/LPA, the thing that stood out the most is the way the Emo combo handled dynamic shifts in movies.

Through the receivers, the sound would just be a loud mess with no real separation, clarity, or depth. With the Emo's, and probably more due to the LPA than anything, this is no longer the case, we were able to listen to a DVD at one constant volume level the entire film without any sense of fatigue or my wife complaining to turn it down when something dynamic happened.

For 2-channel music, channel separation is much better through the LMC/LPA and when there are overlapping vocal tracks, the Emo's present both vocal tracks distinctly from one another. Again the dynamics of this system when it is called upon does a much better job maintaining the depth of the soundstage and level of detail in the recording than either of my previous receivers did.

Sure the LMC pre-pro has its quirks, and I have learned some easy workarounds that make them a non-issue for me and even my wife who is not an expert at operating an a/v system by any stretch, but this is definitely the best front end my system has seen since I made the jump into HT.

"What's better? A great 2D movie or the worst 3D movie?" - Stephen Colbert
post #357 of 17235 Old 04-01-2007, 11:41 AM
pas

Quote:

For the record, the LPA-1 was delivered in pristine condition - none of the above issues!
post #358 of 17235 Old 04-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Same here - my LPA was perfect. Sorry to hear about the extent of cosmetic issues with your LMC, but from what I have read regarding Emotiva's customer support, I would be surprised if they didn't take care of it for you.

"What's better? A great 2D movie or the worst 3D movie?" - Stephen Colbert
post #359 of 17235 Old 04-01-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

Just blank pages for me too at the moment...

gonk
post #360 of 17235 Old 04-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fuller68 View Post

Question for the guru's.

I am hooking up my new MPS-1 and after a back breaking time last night I have a quick question/problem. I hooked the mps into a "Signature Series Home Theatre Reference HTPS 7000 MKII PowerSource with Dual Balanced Pure Power Transformers and Clean Power Stage 5". My problem is when I turn the mps on for the first time all 7 lights go on but if I turn it off right after I tuned it on and then back on, the 7 lights (amps) do not come on. This happens when I plug it directly into a wall socket. is there an issue here or am I just new to amps?

I hope to god i don't have to mail this thing back. My poor back...

I figured it out...DUH!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page