4Likes

post #361 of 17223 Old 04-01-2007, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Driver View Post

Sure the LMC pre-pro has its quirks, and I have learned some easy workarounds that make them a non-issue for me and even my wife who is not an expert at operating an a/v system by any stretch, but this is definitely the best front end my system has seen since I made the jump into HT.

Thanks for the good review...you just gave me some warm fuzzies on my purchase. Can't wait till it gets here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 17223 Old 04-01-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack View Post

Gov, your right. I'm working with Lonnie right now. He is thinking the Bias adjustment on the amps I have may be a little off calibration from standard, and prematurely shutting down the amps. He is sending me two today that he personally QA'd to replace the two I have...

Their customer service is starting to remind me of Axiom, top notch. Another plus is the people your talking to are the people that actually design their amps.

How did this turn out?
post #363 of 17223 Old 04-01-2007, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well, the replacement amps that Lonnie sent out, with adjustments to the bias, did the same thing. However, he sent them out before some recent developments. I don't know if you've been following AV123, but Dan Laufman, Emotiva's president has stated the following:

Don't worry guy's. We're looking into this and will advise in detail ASAP.

It is definitely not a lack of output capability; I have no concerns about this. My feeling is that the protect threshold had drifted on this production run for some reason.. . it's a subtle thing, as the modules test OK, but under the right dynamic conditions they are apparently inhibiting too easily. We'll get to the bottom of this right away.

Regards,
Dan

Also, there is another guy on my Axiom forum, Klipschman (yes he converted to Axiom ) , who recently purchased the Big Dogs, and is having the same problem with his m80's at about 105dB from 10ft away. With the DMC-1 at -20 his left amp shuts down, and -15 for his right amp to shut down. He talked to Dan personally, and Dan assured him that his top engineer is working on the problem, it will be corrected and we have nothing to worry about. He said that the MPS1 should make your ears bleed before shutting down, so there is a problem and we will be taken care of.

So far the only people I've heard with this problem lately are running 4ohm speakers like Ref 1's from AV123 or Axiom m80's.

Anyway, sounds like they will be working on a resolution very soon.

My Website
post #364 of 17223 Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriggy View Post

I was ready to redo the whole system again. Found EMO! Was looking forward to dropping for the DMC-1/MPS-1 combo to go with my 4 ohm Mirage OM6's and Mirage 5.1 set up. Thought it was all to good to be true and it seams that it is.
Found these forums again to begin the info hunt. Seems like more and more people have been coming forward with amp issues almost every day (especially over at AV123), and now this open box/dirty units issues... Guess I will be waiting longer to find out what kinda fix they come up with. Sure hope thats before May 31st (free shipping ends)...
Seams the same few rave about the combo but is the bad beginning to out way the good around here. I know most only come to forums when they have an issue but most audio forums are filled with enthusiasts that are around anyway, but still just a few peeps that push the gear... Dang it! I was excited...

I would like to retract/reword my statement... I don't think getting a firmware upgrade and having a few fingerprints on a unit is a big deal, just seemed (at the time) to be another issue. I can tell that everyone at Emotiva is more than happy and willing to help with any issue that comes up...

I guess what I should of asked or what I really want know is...

Since this combo has been available for a year or two, is there anyone out there running 4 ohm speakers that has been running for a while with no issues???
As in, maybe this is just a batch of moduals , not an inherent problem and will be rectified soon... That is what I am hoping.
post #365 of 17223 Old 04-02-2007, 10:24 AM

and just to let ya'll know... I am running a Denon avr 5700 powering the rears and center (B&W, Mirage) with one big 4 chan H/K Citation 7.1 amp (thats the model number) bi-amped running the Mirage OM-6's... I have another Citation that was running the rest but I think the power button went out (solder or something) and I never got it fixed...
Just looking to condense the system a bit and go with 'real' separates, not a receiver and amp combo... I MAY (and that is big maybe) be able to spend more than the 3k but really would rather not as I will need much more soon as well, ie: players & cables. Not to mention the plasma...

So just like the rest, looking for a nice looking, slightly smaller, slightly better SQ upgrade with no issues. Hoping this would be the one to do...

Thanks
post #366 of 17223 Old 04-02-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhull302 View Post

I was having second thoughts on purchasing this combo after reading about the software bugs, but after talking to them in person (whoever I talked to was very open and forthcoming on the known issues), seeing there is a software update due out on the 18th, and a slammin' return policy, I decided to do it....

Do you have any details on this firmware update due on April 18? I hadn't heard of any specific plans to provide additional firmware updates, much less a timeline for them. The only update-related item that I've heard of is the update dongle (serial interface cable allowing existing owners to update their units' firmware without shipping the units back to Tenenssee) - those dongles are due to be finished on April 18, at which point they'll be shipped to Emotiva so they can be distributed to those existing owners who request them. See this post at AV123 by Dan Laufman.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #367 of 17223 Old 04-02-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

Do you have any details on this firmware update due on April 18? I hadn't heard of any specific plans to provide additional firmware updates, much less a timeline for them. The only update-related item that I've heard of is the update dongle (serial interface cable allowing existing owners to update their units' firmware without shipping the units back to Tenenssee) - those dongles are due to be finished on April 18, at which point they'll be shipped to Emotiva so they can be distributed to those existing owners who request them. See this post at AV123 by Dan Laufman.

He didn't give me any details on exactly what is supposed to be fixed with the next firmware update.
post #368 of 17223 Old 04-02-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhull302 View Post

He didn't give me any details on exactly what is supposed to be fixed with the next firmware update.

But he said April 18 was the release date for it? That's the release date for a piece of hardware that will allow owners of older LMC-1's to install the firmware you already have on your new unit - at least based on what we've seen posted by Dan Laufman. Or was he talking about a separate firmware update being prepared in addition to the one presently being included on new units?

gonk
post #369 of 17223 Old 04-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

This stuff has problems. Support is not what it is being cranked up to be. First email took 48 hours for a reply. A phone call a week ago is still not reurned. They have Dan, Kathy, his wife, Lonnie and one other. MMC-1 went back last week. IPS-1 going back this week. I have never had so many problems while spending 2K+.

Good Luck EMO
post #370 of 17223 Old 04-02-2007, 06:38 PM

I have the same question as Jriggy. Who here has run 4 ohm speakers on an LPA-1 with no issues?

I have 2 Polk LSi15's and an LSiC with an HK 635 AVR. I've had two HK 435's junk out on me and I'm not sure if my 4 ohm speakers are the issue.

Just need to see if the LPA-1 will power these or not. I just don't want to spend much over $500...
post #371 of 17223 Old 04-02-2007, 06:57 PM

Anyone know where the Emotiva stuff is manufactured?
post #372 of 17223 Old 04-02-2007, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
In my opinion the support I've received from them has been first rate. Emails have been replied to quickly, and phone calls are normally anwered within a few rings by the people who design their amps.

Phil, the company that created the Emotiva name, is an engineering/design company that has partnered with many other amp companies. They also have their own product line that they build from the ground up, Emotiva. They have testing facilities/labs here in the states as well as warehouses in TN and CA. It is my understanding the amps are built in a warehouse in China that Dan, the owner, owns. Many top nam amp brands and AVR brands come from China, this not a bad thing.

My Website
post #373 of 17223 Old 04-02-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post

I have the same question as Jriggy. Who here has run 4 ohm speakers on an LPA-1 with no issues?

I have 2 Polk LSi15's and an LSiC with an HK 635 AVR. I've had two HK 435's junk out on me and I'm not sure if my 4 ohm speakers are the issue.

Just need to see if the LPA-1 will power these or not. I just don't want to spend much over $500...

I've only had the LPA-1 for 2 1/2 months and am running 4 ohm M&K's and no problems so far. Sounds great at high volumes. I know it shouldn't sound better than my old receivers, but it's got me fooled. I decided to go with Emotiva after having some receiver problems, 5 year warranty didn't hurt either.
post #374 of 17223 Old 04-03-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:

But he said April 18 was the release date for it? That's the release date for a piece of hardware that will allow owners of older LMC-1's to install the firmware you already have on your new unit - at least based on what we've seen posted by Dan Laufman. Or was he talking about a separate firmware update being prepared in addition to the one presently being included on new units?

Aaah, apologies. I was a little confused on that. You are correct in that the 18th is the release of the hardware that Dan talked about in that post.
post #375 of 17223 Old 04-03-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billatlakegeorge View Post

This stuff has problems. Support is not what it is being cranked up to be. First email took 48 hours for a reply. A phone call a week ago is still not reurned. They have Dan, Kathy, his wife, Lonnie and one other. MMC-1 went back last week. IPS-1 going back this week. I have never had so many problems while spending 2K+.

Good Luck EMO

If this is the case with you then you are the exception from my experiences and what I have seen over at av123.

Before buying the combo I mailed their support with a technical question. I got a response in less than 8 hrs from Lonnie.

3 weeks later I called them up with some questions regarding the software bugs before pulling the trigger on the purchase. The phone rang twice and was picked up by a human, not a machine, who gave me the impression that he was one of the engineers. He was open about the bugs they were dealing with inlcuding the one that was introduced with the last firmware update, and was able to answer all my questions.

Also, someone over at the av123 forums really vented about some issues he had been having with his amp (he had never gotten with Emo to resolve it). Not long after this, the president of Emo posted this in the thread:

Dear Jamesgang,
I'm sorry to hear you are upset with us, but I'd appreciate the chance to help correct your problem and possibly troubleshoot your system.

The fact that your system runs for 45 minutes at -19 dB (which does not have any real meaning or indicate an absolute power level) other than LOUD, tells me that there may be other issues with your system, such as ventilation, etc.

In any event, whatever the cause, we are here to help you resolve the issue. We have hundreds and hundreds of the Big Dog systems in operation (including my home) and they work quite well and no one has ever accused them of being lightweights from a performance or reliability standpoint. Believe me, many of our customers exercise them quite vigorously on a regular basis!

Why haven't you called us to tell us of of your problem so that we can get you squared away before now? I could understand your ripping us on the board if we had blown you off or ignored your problems, but you haven't even called in to give us a chance to take care of you.

Please call us at your earliest convenience (1-877-EMO-TECH) and let us take care of you and get your problem resolved. If you still want to go to Outlaw after that, well at least we will have had the opportunity to make you happy.

By the way, I wonder if the presidents of any other speaker and electronics companies in our industry would have personally answered your complaint over the weekend?

Say what you will, but Mark and I are totally committed to customer satisfaction. Any one who has ever dealt with us knows this first hand.

Sincerely,
Dan

Anyways, my combo shipped yesterday and should be here soon.
post #376 of 17223 Old 04-04-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello:

Great thread. I have read the whole thing twice and I am still left scratching my head.

I would like to generate a little more discussion on using the Emotiva Pre/Pro (DMC-1) vs. another AVR/Pre/Pro.

It seems there are opinions on both sides. I would appriciate any additional advice.

I have a Denon 4306 in my family room now. So I will get the chance to compare using it vs. the DMC-1.

The Denon will be staying in the family room and I do need another Pre/Pro for the HT room. So I need to buy a Pre/Pro no matter what. It is just a question of whether is the DMC-1 or the Denon or some other AVR.

Thanks,
Splotto
post #377 of 17223 Old 04-04-2007, 01:31 PM

Splotto, you've got the perfect situation, you can get the Emotiva's on the 30 day trial, and see if there is any difference at all. Then you could be confidant that you made the right decision.
post #378 of 17223 Old 04-04-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball View Post

Splotto, you've got the perfect situation, you can get the Emotiva's on the 30 day trial, and see if there is any difference at all. Then you could be confidant that you made the right decision.

Of course. I am looking forward to checking. However, I was curious about others thoughts on the setup.

Splotto
post #379 of 17223 Old 04-05-2007, 11:30 AM

I am helping a friend with his Home Theater installation. I installed the LPA-1/LMC-1 combo last night. All I can say is W O W. The sound blew both of us away. I had an expectation that they would sound excellent. He had some doubts as to how much better it could sound then his receiver. He now knows what music is supposed to sound like. I got the Speakers level matched with the two subwoofers. The sound levels he can now reach in his basement HT are now very high. The great part is that while it can get very loud, the dynamic capabilty is trmendous and it is extremely clean. No hiss, humms or anything.

I initially called and talked with Lonnie from Emotiva. He was very eager to help with the questions I had, and give advice. A great experience from a vendor who knows what their customers need/want!!!

I am now jealously waiting to get mine on order to power a Magnepan HT Setup!

Thanks Emotiva for a product that has value well above the dollar worth and is so great sounding!

Where are the DVD-A,SACD,BD,HDVD formats dead?
In the content or in the players?
post #380 of 17223 Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm getting interested in the MMC+LPA combo deal they're running. I'm curious about a few things first. Would the MMC be overkill for the LPA? I wouldn't want the amp to be a limiting factor. Why buy an MMC if it won't sound better than an LMC on that amp?

Not sure if i should just go with an LMC for now till their HDMI 1.3 processors come out (with the 40% off), or go with this combo and instant gratification.

...or grab a Yamaha RX-V2700. These decisions are damn hard!
post #381 of 17223 Old 04-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post

Anyone know where the Emotiva stuff is manufactured?

China.

A factory there that produces numerous high-end brands plus car amps to guitar amps and professional equipment. I have seen some of the high end gear, names you would recognize, but my lips are sealed.

Dan said 700 employees in the factory and about a dozen on the engineering staff there. The Emotiva brand is his private label.
post #382 of 17223 Old 04-05-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxBR View Post

I'm getting interested in the MMC+LPA combo deal they're running. I'm curious about a few things first. Would the MMC be overkill for the LPA? I wouldn't want the amp to be a limiting factor. Why buy an MMC if it won't sound better than an LMC on that amp?

Not sure if i should just go with an LMC for now till their HDMI 1.3 processors come out (with the 40% off), or go with this combo and instant gratification.

I too was interested in this combo. I was orignally leaning towards the LPA/LMC stack, but a few of the issues posted here had me looking into other options. Now this deal, which was not a combo I had investigated, pop's up! I wish the LPA wasn't so big...
post #383 of 17223 Old 04-05-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxBR View Post

My personal opinion is grab the LMC1 and wait for the next gen and get 40% off. Then go bigger and its like you got an LMC1 for free, of course depending on your budget.
post #384 of 17223 Old 04-06-2007, 05:50 AM

Which one of the combo, LMC/LPA, is the real bargain? I think I've heard mostly rave things about the LPA but what about the LMC? How does it compare to other pre/pros such as outlaw and other receivers?
post #385 of 17223 Old 04-06-2007, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

The LMC has gotten good feedback for sound quality, but the feature set is pretty minimal (no stereo analog bypass, no AV sync adjustment, and a Pro Logic II implementation that is a little quirky) and there are some operational issues with it that remain unresolved. This post at AV123 offers a general summary of the outstanding issues and questions.

gonk
post #386 of 17223 Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 AM

Do any of you know if the LMC-1 will "down Convert", IE: Inputs are S-Video, or Component, but out puts through Composite?

I'm planning on getting the Ultra Combo, but I dont have a good TV, all its got is Coax and Composite, I will be upgrading the TV later this year, but wanted to order new cables for everything. I know it wont do any good right now, but I figured I might save myself some time later.

Thanks
post #387 of 17223 Old 04-06-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:

The LMC has gotten good feedback for sound quality, but the feature set is pretty minimal (no stereo analog bypass, no AV sync adjustment, and a Pro Logic II implementation that is a little quirky) and there are some operational issues with it that remain unresolved. This post at AV123 offers a general summary of the outstanding issues and questions.

Hey gonk, I know it's fairly new, but how have operational 'issues' been with the MMC-1? I'm thinking of spotting the extra duckets for the MMC/LPA combo, now that it's up. I like the internal switching (less clutter in my LR is better for me) and the better processor. And I like the price.

I can't find much on the MMC, even over at av123.
post #388 of 17223 Old 04-06-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM99 View Post

Do any of you know if the LMC-1 will "down Convert", IE: Inputs are S-Video, or Component, but out puts through Composite?

I'm planning on getting the Ultra Combo, but I dont have a good TV, all its got is Coax and Composite, I will be upgrading the TV later this year, but wanted to order new cables for everything. I know it wont do any good right now, but I figured I might save myself some time later.

Thanks

It may transcode s-video to composite, but I'm not certain. It will not transcode component video to composite.

gonk
post #389 of 17223 Old 04-06-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

EBee, I haven't heard much about the MMC-1 either - I've been spending too much time as it is trying to find out what's up with the LMC-1, but the MMC-1 is based on the older DMC-1 and ought not to be buggy.

gonk
post #390 of 17223 Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:

EBee, I haven't heard much about the MMC-1 either - I've been spending too much time as it is trying to find out what's up with the LMC-1, but the MMC-1 is based on the older DMC-1 and ought not to be buggy.

Thanks, gonk. If I end up ordering one, I'll report back here with impressions and 'do' any 'runthroughs' anyone would like me to.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page