Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 17196 Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fuller68 View Post

Yes, when I switched connections it would transfer to the other surround. Therefore, I know its not a speaker issue.

I had the same issue with my lmc-1. I would get garbage out of the left surround only. After talking to Lonnie at Emotiva he is sending me a new unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 17196 Old 04-18-2007, 06:03 AM

I'm considering changing from 2 separate amps to a single Emotiva 7 ch amp (not sure which one yet). Are the Emotiva amps "THX certified" and does it really matter one way or the other? The amps would be used 98% for movies in a dedicated home theater. Thanks
post #453 of 17196 Old 04-18-2007, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
m1fuller68,

I had a static issue with my MPS-1 as well. Worked with Lonnie and if your issue is the same as mine, they get a few calls on this each year. It has to do with the frequency in the Ghz of the voltage regulators interfering with some other microwave signal in your area.

They modified two modules by placing a "cap" on the regulators and the static is completely gone now. I"m suprised they had no ideas when you called them.

My Website
post #454 of 17196 Old 04-18-2007, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I see now your just having the problem in one speaker, interesting. I had it in both my Axiom 80's, or if I hooked the wires up to a different speaker. What was really weird, is if I turned the closet light on in my AV area next to my MPS-1, the static would go away. I even took my amp over to a friends house to rule out my house wiring/ground issues, same thing. We had static, but as we started to turn on lights in the room, the static would go away. Obviously you don't want to watch movies with the lights on.

I would check into having them send you a different module for the one that is causing the static, or have them put a cap on as described above.

My Website
post #455 of 17196 Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

I don't see why it would not work with sat. The Time Warner guy said that I would not be able to do pay per view but it works fine with the jensen. It really cleaned up the noise, everything is absolutely silent.
post #456 of 17196 Old 04-18-2007, 10:50 AM
ped

I checked with Jensen support and this device will not work with SAT feeds or any other type of feed that supplies a DC voltage on the cable. The VRD-1FF uses a capacitive design to "break" the ground path between your display and the video supply (cable) ground. This also breaks the DC signal path, a dish requires DC voltage from the STB to function, it would not get any DC if you put one of these in-line. The Tech did mention they are working on something specifically for SAT systems, no ETA though.
post #457 of 17196 Old 04-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack View Post

I see now your just having the problem in one speaker, interesting. I had it in both my Axiom 80's, or if I hooked the wires up to a different speaker. What was really weird, is if I turned the closet light on in my AV area next to my MPS-1, the static would go away. I even took my amp over to a friends house to rule out my house wiring/ground issues, same thing. We had static, but as we started to turn on lights in the room, the static would go away. Obviously you don't want to watch movies with the lights on.

I would check into having them send you a different module for the one that is causing the static, or have them put a cap on as described above.

Thanks guys, I spoke with Emotiva on Tuesday and they would like me to try one more thing. If this dosen't work they will replace the chassis or refund.

M1
post #458 of 17196 Old 04-23-2007, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Receiving the emotiva ultra series tomorrow is what cables should I use to connect the pre-amp to the amp? Does it matter? Should I use coaxial cables because they are digital? Any advise would be appreciated! Thank-you!!
post #459 of 17196 Old 04-24-2007, 05:33 AM

U need to use analog audio cables, like the ones used to connect 2ch or Multichannel audio out from a cd or dvd player. The pre-amp (LMC-1) will take any signal (digital or analog) and convert it to analog before it sends it out thru the pre-amp multichannel outputs. I would recommend cables from either Blue Jeans Cable or Monoprice, both excellent quality & good price.

"Life doesn't get much better than watching a DVD movie blown up to near-theater size in the comfort of your own home" - Sound & Vision Magazine June 2002
post #460 of 17196 Old 04-24-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Hello:

Just a follow up on my rack mount question above.

I went to mount my DMC-1 and there was no way it was going to hold. I talked to Emotiva (thanks for all the help guys....you are the best).

I ended up placing a wood support at the rear of the DMC-1 to hold it up.

Splotto
post #461 of 17196 Old 04-24-2007, 09:56 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclem View Post

I'm considering changing from 2 separate amps to a single Emotiva 7 ch amp (not sure which one yet). Are the Emotiva amps "THX certified" and does it really matter one way or the other? The amps would be used 98% for movies in a dedicated home theater. Thanks

No and no.
post #462 of 17196 Old 04-24-2007, 11:01 AM

thanks for your reply! My ultra series should be here any minute! I'm a very lucky girl as my father bought this for my birthday! Can't wait!!
post #463 of 17196 Old 04-24-2007, 11:47 AM

Just got the tracking number for my new LPA-1! It'll be here on Friday. My new Rockets are salivating waiting for all that power.
post #464 of 17196 Old 04-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotihead View Post

Just got the tracking number for my new LPA-1! It'll be here on Friday. My new Rockets are salivating waiting for all that power.

What will you using as a pre/pro?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #465 of 17196 Old 04-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Do you guys know if the lmc1 can do 2.1 stereo?
post #466 of 17196 Old 04-25-2007, 12:14 PM

It can play in Bypass Mode with just the Front Channel playing and the Sub (2.1) Yes

Where are the DVD-A,SACD,BD,HDVD formats dead?
In the content or in the players?
post #467 of 17196 Old 04-25-2007, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys,

After researching for a few weeks I am about ready to pick up an LPA. I have spent the last few months getting my subwoofer section up to where I wanted it and now I could use a little more power for the rest of the system at reference level. I will be using my Pio 56TXi as a pre/pro and driving Paradigm V4 Monitor 11s, CC370, Minis, and CS160s.

-Eli

AV Nut
post #468 of 17196 Old 04-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chett View Post

It can play in Bypass Mode with just the Front Channel playing and the Sub (2.1) Yes

I am not sure about bypass mode using the crossover for the sub? I now have a marantz and when I use source direct similar to bypass it does not use the sub.

The reason I ask is I have Artison PLCR's and although I like the sound for home theater, they are missing guts for stereo music in full range.
post #469 of 17196 Old 04-25-2007, 01:40 PM

I've had the LPA-1 for a few months powering my Axiom M80 speakers, and I really like it. Absolutely worth it and it'll be a part of my home theater for years to come.

I recently bought an LMC-1 to try out. I returned it after only a few days due to the buggy software and lack of features compared to my AVR. I'm sticking with my old and trusty Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX receiver as a pre-amp for the time being.

The sound quality from the LMC-1 was fantastic, and I will miss it. It brought a lovely sense of spaciousness, sparkle, and depth to my music, especially with SACD's. Someone else commented on an increased sense of 'attack' and 'decay', and I definitely concur with that. Very, very realistic presentation of the material.

But dealing with the "stuck" and "random" sound modes between digital PCM, Dolby Digital 2.0, and Dolby Digital 5.1, it was just too irritating. Our 'system' is used for all of our TV viewing, and so I it is important to us that the receiver/preamp/decoder work properly and reliably with different sources.

Half the time I would have to stop or pause the source, go into the menu setup, select the mode, and then resume the source. I know it it doesn't sound like much, but it became annoying every time I filpped from DD2.0 to DD5.1 to PCM channels. Also, it wouldn't/couldn't remember to stay on DPLIIx modes for PCM, and would frequently and randomly revert to DPLIIx:Music or Bypass. I also didn't like the fact that it could only apply DTS Neo processing to DTS sources. I often prefer DTS Neo to DPLII decoding for 2 channel dolby digital sources, and the LMC-1 just can't do this.

I also had problems with inconsistent calibration levels, too-high background hiss levels from digital sources, a consistent 'snap' from the mains on system shutdown, and a very loud and irritating half-second of 'SCSHHHH' noise that sometimes occured with switching to a DD5.1 source.

If you don't watch much TV that involves digital audio sources, or are mainly concerned with music, then the LMC-1's quirks will be much more tolerable or even non-existent for you.

I will eagerly await the LMC-1 "RevB" model with fixed software, or for the "LMC-2".
post #470 of 17196 Old 04-25-2007, 01:41 PM

You cannot use the sub without setting the Speakers to small which means you will be using the Crossover.

Where are the DVD-A,SACD,BD,HDVD formats dead?
In the content or in the players?
post #471 of 17196 Old 04-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStig View Post

I've had the LPA-1 for a few months powering my Axiom M80 speakers, and I really like it. Absolutely worth it and it'll be a part of my home theater for years to come.

I recently bought an LMC-1 to try out. I returned it after only a few days due to the buggy software and lack of features compared to my AVR. I'm sticking with my old and trusty Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX receiver as a pre-amp for the time being.

The sound quality from the LMC-1 was fantastic, and I will miss it. It brought a lovely sense of spaciousness, sparkle, and depth to my music, especially with SACD's. Someone else commented on an increased sense of 'attack' and 'decay', and I definitely concur with that. Very, very realistic presentation of the material.

But dealing with the "stuck" and "random" sound modes between digital PCM, Dolby Digital 2.0, and Dolby Digital 5.1, it was just too irritating. Our 'system' is used for all of our TV viewing, and so I it is important to us that the receiver/preamp/decoder work properly and reliably with different sources.

Half the time I would have to stop or pause the source, go into the menu setup, select the mode, and then resume the source. I know it it doesn't sound like much, but it became annoying every time I filpped from DD2.0 to DD5.1 to PCM channels. Also, it wouldn't/couldn't remember to stay on DPLIIx modes for PCM, and would frequently and randomly revert to DPLIIx:Music or Bypass. I also didn't like the fact that it could only apply DTS Neo processing to DTS sources. I often prefer DTS Neo to DPLII decoding for 2 channel dolby digital sources, and the LMC-1 just can't do this.

I also had problems with inconsistent calibration levels, too-high background hiss levels from digital sources, a consistent 'snap' from the mains on system shutdown, and a very loud and irritating half-second of 'SCSHHHH' noise that sometimes occured with switching to a DD5.1 source.

If you don't watch much TV that involves digital audio sources, or are mainly concerned with music, then the LMC-1's quirks will be much more tolerable or even non-existent for you.

I will eagerly await the LMC-1 "RevB" model with fixed software, or for the "LMC-2".

Absolutely,
These quirks regarding the LMC-1 are quite annoying. I am, however, sticking with mine. Mainly for the sound quality and the 40% off on future equipment.
post #472 of 17196 Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

My LMC-1 is also recent and has the latest update. Hopefully Dan and the crew at Emotiva isolate these problems and get a fix to us. If they can't, then I think it would be fair of them to offer the 40% off on the current line (ie the MMC-1). Just a thought.
post #473 of 17196 Old 04-25-2007, 06:25 PM

Has anyone tried this new processor? Any thought?
post #474 of 17196 Old 04-25-2007, 06:51 PM

How does the Harmony 880 remote work with Emotiva equipment?
post #475 of 17196 Old 04-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyuppy View Post

Has anyone tried this new processor? Any thought?

Check out www.av123forum.com. There's a lot threads there on the MMC-1.
post #476 of 17196 Old 04-27-2007, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

So, my wife just sent me an email. Its my birthday today and a nice new LPA-1 is on the truck for delivery. I had no idea. My wife is great.

I should get some good listening time in this weekend.

-Eli

AV Nut
post #477 of 17196 Old 04-27-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool choice for a present! Of course we would all like you to share your impressions after the weekend is over

Jeremy Gillow
post #478 of 17196 Old 04-27-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srxman2001 View Post

How does the Harmony 880 remote work with Emotiva equipment?

My Harmony 550 worked perfectly with the LMC-1, FWIW. I assume that the 880 would work just as well.
post #479 of 17196 Old 04-28-2007, 08:02 AM

I recommended Emotiva to a friend and he's having big QC issues. The first unit (LMC-1) had no bass. After days of troubleshooting and talking to support, he sent it back and got another one. This one, the bass works, but the radio doesn't. I thought people were quite happy with Emotiva, but perhaps I should have read all 16 pages of this thread, ha. I feel bad, but at least their customer service is top notch and he isn't paying for all the shipping.

I can't really recommend another brand at this low of price range he wants. The power amp works fine. I think his best bet is to talk them into letting him upgrade now to an MMC-1. It's on special now and with the 40% discount he'd only pay an extra $160 or so, for a unit worth more than twice as much, and from what I've read doesn't have any chronic bugs.

Any opinions on this advice?
post #480 of 17196 Old 04-28-2007, 08:20 AM

I might be pulling the trigger on the MMC/LPA combo very soon, but as the aforementioned post covers, I'm beginning to become concerned about QC issues with Emotiva.

I've read relatively little about the MMC and any kind of problems. I know it's the DMC 'toned down' (perhaps poor choice of words on an enthusiast site ), but I'd like to hear more before I get something that almost-but-not-quite works properly.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page