EMOTIVA Thread Q&A [TECHNICAL TALK ONLY] - Page 19 - AVS Forum
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > EMOTIVA Thread Q&A [TECHNICAL TALK ONLY]
luna5's Avatar luna5 02:57 PM 05-03-2007
UPS just delivered my LPA-1...now I have to look at it until they deliver my cables on Monday. It's going to be a long, long weekend! Does anyone use this amp with Infinity Beta 50 speakers? I'm going to use my Pioneer VSX 815 as a pre/pro until I upgrade to a dedicated pre/pro sometime late this year or early next year.

Damnationdoormat's Avatar Damnationdoormat 03:28 PM 05-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBee View Post

I'd like to know, too. Part of my problem with the Outlaws is, well, money. The MMC/LPA combo is about at the top of what I'd want to spend.

I just opted for the Outlaw 7125 amp, use my existing H/K receiver as the processor, and wait it out until Outlaw debuts a new processor.
vddobrev's Avatar vddobrev 04:59 PM 05-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat View Post

I just opted for the Outlaw 7125 amp, use my existing H/K receiver as the processor, and wait it out until Outlaw debuts a new processor.

From my opinion and pure aestetics point of view, Emotiva gear is soo much more attractive... but looks can be decieving!
tdogroeder's Avatar tdogroeder 05:12 PM 05-03-2007
Quote:

Do you think it is worth double the price of Emotiva LPA-1?
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 05:56 PM 05-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStig View Post

Tempting, isn't it? If I was serious about buying an MMC right now, I'd take a hard look at the DMC.

With the exceptions of the balanced outputs and lack of internal HDMI switcher on the DMC, and cosmetics, I can't figure out if there's anything really different between the two. Considering they use the same firmware, I think the MMC and DMC are pretty similar under the hood. To these untrained eyes, the photos of the circuit boards look identical, except for the supporting hardware for the balanced outputs.

I'd love for someone to explain any other differences, however.

Just as you said, balanced outputs, external HDMI switching and cosmetics.

That said, I just ordered the DMC-1 as the deal is just too good to pass up. This is the second DMC-1 I have purchased and I am very happy to be owning one again.
Iostream's Avatar Iostream 09:12 PM 05-03-2007
Is it best to call Emotiva with questions? I have sent them 2 emails regarding the RSP-1/RPA-1 and have not gotten a response yet. It has been a couple of days since the latest one. Not that this response is bad for a typical company, just didnt know if calling was the better route here...
josephmckinney's Avatar josephmckinney 09:30 PM 05-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iostream View Post

Is it best to call Emotiva with questions? I have sent them 2 emails regarding the RSP-1/RPA-1 and have not gotten a response yet. It has been a couple of days since the latest one. Not that this response is bad for a typical company, just didnt know if calling was the better route here...

Sometimes they get backed up, they will get back to you. Give them a call anyway, I'm sure they'ld be more than happy to talk with you.
EBee's Avatar EBee 08:31 AM 05-04-2007
Well, I'm up and running...sort of. And I need some help only partially related to the Emotiva equipment.

We're moving into a new house, with wood floors, and no furniture in it yet.

So...I set things up for just my two NHT Classic 3s yesterday afternoon (perched on cardboard boxes - yeah, I know), and an old Pioneer PDR-555 RW (yeah, I know). I can definitely say that in my room (18' x 20'), I will have NO problem with full sound for my ears with the LPA and the NHTs.

As far as I could tell (I wasn't critically listening), there was no hum or hiss. I only heard it in older recordings (specifically in Tom Waits' 'Til The Money Runs Out') on soft passages. I'll confirm later if this is from the recording (likely, IMO), or from the MMC. I'll try something recent that Butch Vig has produced, or Stratos' version of 'Adagio for Strings'. That'll tell me for sure.

Until we get some furniture and a little sound deadening in the LR, it's like a cave in there.

Anyway...I'm new at this, and the whole system was 'strung' with a couple of cheapo RCA connectors (from MMC to LPA) and some self-constructed speaker wire/banana plugs, of 16-guage from Lowe's.

What I'm wondering is, what would y'all suggest for 'proper' cabling from monoprice. I am completely ignorant to what makes one thing better than another. For instance, monoprice lists 3.5mm RCAs, RCAs, and 'premium' RCAs. And man, do I have to buy 6ft of RCA cable just to connect a 12" span? Is there a better cable than RCA that I should be using to connect the MMC and LPA? What about speaker wire? Larger than 16 guage? Should I ditch my homemade cabling, or keep it?

Thanks for any help, y'all, and I'll be sure to report back here with further observation and pics, as I get them.
BigStig's Avatar BigStig 08:42 AM 05-04-2007
Regarding interconnect cables, you will find a huge debate about this. Some people will tell that you must spend $$$ for super-high-quality connectors, and that everything else is worthless. Others will tell you that it doesn't matter, and that even the cheapest, 'freebie' RCA cables are just fine.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't think that the super-thin, crummy-connectored 'free' RCA cables that come with cd players and such are a good idea. But I also think that cables such as these are just a wee bit silly. Hey, if you've got that kind of money to burn, more power to ya.

I'd just pick up some nice RCA cables to run from the MMC to the LPA. They don't have to be that fancy. I'm using these from Monoprice, and I'm happy.

I have a 3' pair of Monster audio cables that cost me about $40 a couple of years back, as well as a couple of $15-for-a-6" pairs of 'higher end' cable from an audio store (can't remember the brand). I can't tell any difference what-so-ever between either of these and the Monoprice, and so I just decided on the Monoprice when I purchased my LPA and needed new interconnects. Though Monoprice doesn't sell them, you can find shorter RCA lengths at other places.

As far as speaker wire goes, I'm a little bit more picky. As to which gauge to use, technically that depends on the impedance of your speakers and the distance that you need to run. Unless your speaker runs are more than 50 feet, you probably won't have any problems. 16ga, IMHO, is a bit thin. I'd go with 12 or even 10 gauge.

One can spend I-coulda-had-a-new-BMW-amounts on speaker wire. Im using the Canare and Belden speaker wire from Blue Jeans Cable, and I'm very satisfied with that.
EBee's Avatar EBee 09:10 AM 05-04-2007
BigStig,

This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I very much appreciate it. And FWIW, I'm in the same 'shopper category' as you. I'm willing to pay up, but not be sucked into brand name nonsense.

I have a couple of old Monster optical cables, and they'll work fine, but monoprice and Blue Jeans are right up my alley, and will do the trick.

Thanks again!

edit: One more thing. Am I missing where there might be 'premium' single connect RCAs at monoprice? Since all the connects from the MMC to LPA are singles, I don't know how the 'doubles' would work for me.
josephmckinney's Avatar josephmckinney 09:16 AM 05-04-2007
Quote:

BigStig,

This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I very much appreciate it. And FWIW, I'm in the same 'shopper category' as you. I'm willing to pay up, but not be sucked into brand name nonsense.

I have a couple of old Monster optical cables, and they'll work fine, but monoprice and Blue Jeans are right up my alley, and will do the trick.

Thanks again!

edit: One more thing. Am I missing where there might be 'premium' single connect RCAs at monoprice? Since all the connects from the MMC to LPA are singles, I don't know how the 'doubles' would work for me.

I second BigStig,
I'm using the same premium monoprice rca cables to connect my lmc-1 to lpa-1. Those should work out great.
EBee's Avatar EBee 09:19 AM 05-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephmckinney View Post

I second BigStig,
I'm using the same premium monoprice rca cables to connect my lmc-1 to lpa-1. Those should work out great.

Joseph,

How do you use the 'double' RCA when connecting to the single terminal on the LPA? Remember, I'm very new to separates. Have patience.
TJEli's Avatar TJEli 09:26 AM 05-04-2007
Hey Guys,

I did some more critical listening last night. I shut off all the lights and ran through 2 discs. Nickle Creek (SACD) and Dave Mathews "These Crowded Streets". I am very fimiliar with these recordings. I have to admit that the LPA-1 really put a smile on my face. I am just plain amazed at the quality of this amp for the price.

-Eli
TJEli's Avatar TJEli 09:29 AM 05-04-2007
Quote:

Joseph,

How do you use the 'double' RCA when connecting to the single terminal on the LPA? Remember, I'm very new to separates. Have patience.

The splits in the end of the cables are big enough to reach the jacks on the LPA-1.

-Eli
josephmckinney's Avatar josephmckinney 09:30 AM 05-04-2007
Quote:

Joseph,

Don't think of them as double cables. Just think of them as 2 separate cables that happen to be joined together by a piece of plastic, the signals are independent of each other.

Each channel out on your pre-amp is a single RCA connection to a single RCA connection on your amp. Assuming your subwoofer is a powered one, if you have a 5.1 setup, you will need to order 3 of the monoprice RCA cables. The 3 give you 6 total cables. Just connect 5 of them, and leave the extra one unplugged. What setup do you have(5.1, 6.1, 7.1)?
angelo913's Avatar angelo913 09:50 AM 05-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStig View Post

Im using the Canare and Belden speaker wire from Blue Jeans Cable, and I'm very satisfied with that.

Myself I do Audio and Video work and any visible or audible noise is a problem. For analog cabling shielding is very important since there is many wireless devices/signals that can interfere with poorly-shield low-current signals like unbalanced RCA Pre-Ins or Pre-Outs. I've been ordering all my cable's from BlueJean Cables as their RCA connectors are top quality too, which is also important. As for speaker wire I use 12 gauge speaker which I also order from BlueJean Cables.

...Angelo
EBee's Avatar EBee 10:11 AM 05-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post

The splits in the end of the cables are big enough to reach the jacks on the LPA-1.

-Eli

Well...that'd do it, wouldn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephmckinney View Post

Don't think of them as double cables. Just think of them as 2 separate cables that happen to be joined together by a piece of plastic, the signals are independent of each other.

Each channel out on your pre-amp is a single RCA connection to a single RCA connection on your amp. Assuming your subwoofer is a powered one, if you have a 5.1 setup, you will need to order 3 of the monoprice RCA cables. The 3 give you 6 total cables. Just connect 5 of them, and leave the extra one unplugged. What setup do you have(5.1, 6.1, 7.1)?

Thanks again, Joseph.

I'll order up today from monoprice and run with it from there. I suspect if I can find some AR cables at my local B&M that are similarly priced (the real question), then those will do sufficiently as well.
moovtune's Avatar moovtune 11:31 AM 05-04-2007
I recently rewired my whole system with cable from Blue Jeans Cable - I have two SACD/DVD-A players and and HD-DVD with 5.1 analog outs and am using a Denon receiver as my preamp for now to an LPA-1, so another 7 channel connection. All speaker wire was their 10gauge premium type. So it was expensive - but the improvement it sound was quite noticeable over the Tara and Monster Cable interconnects I had been using. Of course, it was the sum total of changing everything, but good cabling does make a difference.
Iostream's Avatar Iostream 11:40 AM 05-04-2007
Aha, got a response back from emotiva as well as a link to the first review of the RSP-1 RPA-1 combo that I have seen. It looks great for the money. We will see what I end up with.
Lindahl's Avatar Lindahl 01:17 PM 05-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by me! View Post

They say they matrix the side-axis channels from only the front left and right channels, so I'd think the side-axis channels wouldn't blend with the surrounds at all, but instead, just make the front soundstage seem wider (i.e. more of a preference thing than anything really worthwhile)?

I emailed Emotiva for a clarification, and the DSP detects panning and matrices sound into the side-axis speakers to blend panning. I also assume the side-axis speakers also pick up diffuse effects like rain. Should be a nice addition for any theater.
Damnationdoormat's Avatar Damnationdoormat 01:58 PM 05-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

Do you think it is worth double the price of Emotiva LPA-1?

I haven't ordered the Outlaw yet (have a tough time with commitment!)...I'm still debating between the Outlaw 7125 and the Emotiva LPA-1...
TJEli's Avatar TJEli 02:02 PM 05-04-2007
Quote:

I haven't ordered the Outlaw yet (have a tough time with commitment!)...I'm still debating between the Outlaw 7125 and the Emotiva LPA-1...

For me, its not a tough decision at all.

-Eli
dsmith901's Avatar dsmith901 02:11 PM 05-04-2007
Anyone know if and when Emotiva will be out with a pre/pro that includes DD-TruHD and DTS-HD decoding?
Damnationdoormat's Avatar Damnationdoormat 02:15 PM 05-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post

For me, its not a tough decision at all.

-Eli

I don't mean to insult anyone or Emotiva, but is the preference and praise for the Emotiva LPA-1 more based on sheer performance or a "owners of course won't say it's substandard" syndrome?
TJEli's Avatar TJEli 02:18 PM 05-04-2007
Quote:

I don't mean to insult anyone or Emotiva, but is the preference and praise for the Emotiva LPA-1 more based on sheer performance or a "owners of course won't say it's substandard" syndrome?

I am always very honest in my equipment opinions. If something doesnt perform, I will tell you. I have run several different amps in my current setup. 3 high end receivers and 4 different pro amps. I honestly believe that the LPA-1 would be a bargain at twice the price.

-Eli
tdogroeder's Avatar tdogroeder 03:18 PM 05-04-2007
Quote:

To me I can't see the outlaw being worth twice the amount of the lpa-1. I am going with an lpa-1 myself.
Damnationdoormat's Avatar Damnationdoormat 03:44 PM 05-04-2007
Well, for one thing, where's the LPA-1's toroidal, in this black box...?

Compared to the Outlaw 7125:

ClarkeBar's Avatar ClarkeBar 03:49 PM 05-04-2007
Your reticence is understandable. Compare all you want...this 'little' amp from Emotiva is one of those steals that comes along every so often. Performance/price ratio is off the charts. But if you need a true 7 channel then Outlaw is a wise choice...your money.
TJEli's Avatar TJEli 03:54 PM 05-04-2007
Where is the toroidal in my PLX 2402? Maybe we have some toroidal knomes on the loose....

-Eli
Willd's Avatar Willd 04:25 PM 05-04-2007
Quote:

Well, for one thing, where's the LPA-1's toroidal, in this black box...?

Compared to the Outlaw 7125:

Apparently the LPA-1 transformer is rated at 1.2 KVA, and the 7125 at 1.6KVA.
Tags: Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop