EMOTIVA Thread Q&A [TECHNICAL TALK ONLY] - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 17223 Old 01-31-2007, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the OSD show up through the HDMI out?

Thanks.
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 17223 Old 02-01-2007, 12:33 AM

just a thought....Is emotiva producing a new pre/pro with hdmi 1.3 this summer?

Two things are certain in life, death and expensive high-end projectors.
post #33 of 17223 Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 115
It appears that they have extended their FREE shipping through out this month as well

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #34 of 17223 Old 02-01-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggSkins View Post

The Emotiva MPS-1 and DMC=1 arrived yesterday, and I am waiting for the Gallo REF 3.1 & REF AVs to arrive next week. I am having an eletrician install a separate circuit to support the power drain of the MPS-1.

I am very excited to hear how it sounds, and hope I won't be disappointed.

I will let you know how it sounds and how it compares to the B&K AVR 507.

I am interested to hear your impressions so please post when you can!

SCG
post #35 of 17223 Old 02-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I have been eyeing this amp as I am on a budget. I am like 90% HT / 10% xbx 360...just trying to decide if it is worth the upgrade. I would be using a Rotel avr as a prepro for now driving B&W 600 series speakers...

ABS!NTH
PSN: ABS1NTH
XBL: ABSiNTH69
post #36 of 17223 Old 02-01-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcaughey View Post

just a thought....Is emotiva producing a new pre/pro with hdmi 1.3 this summer?

New to AVS forum here tho' I've been lurking. In answer to your question I e-mailed Emotiva with that question a few days ago and they told me the second generation products are due in the late second/early third quarter time frame this year. So I'll be looking at late summer early autumn.
post #37 of 17223 Old 02-01-2007, 07:21 PM

hikinokie,

thanks for the info and welcome!

Two things are certain in life, death and expensive high-end projectors.
post #38 of 17223 Old 02-02-2007, 03:12 AM

With sq the equal of or better than receivers at it's price points and a much stronger multichannel amp the ultralites seem to me a better value and a no- brainer. With hdmi 1.3 and high def audio decoders onboard you can bet I'll be buying them this summer.
post #39 of 17223 Old 02-23-2007, 06:53 AM

I finally have had a chance to post my thoughts on the Emotiva MPS-1 & DMC-1 vs the B&K AVR 507 2.

Speakers
Main - Anthony Gallo Acoustics Ref 3.1
Center - Anthony Gallo Acoustics Ref AV
Surround - Anthony Gallo Acoustics Ref AV

CD Player
Sony M555ES 400 Disc Changer

DVD Player
Panasonic DVD RV30

Test Music
Stevie Ray Vaughn, Little Wing
Seal, Kiss from a Rose
Earth Wind & Fire, Fantasy
Acoustic Alchemy, Reference Point

Test DVD
Master & Commander

Both the B&K and the Emotiva "Big Dogs" were both around the same price point at @ $3,000 and both sounded very good. When compared against each other, each had stregnths that appeared to point out potential weaknesses of the other. I tested the music audio in 2 ch stereo, and switched the input and speakers between the Amps as quickly as I could with the help of Banana Clips, and digital (optical) input connectors. I listened to @ 30 seconds to 1 Minute of a song then would switch the connections to the competitive amp, and listen to the same portion of the song.

I am sorry that I do not have the time to provide a song by song analyses, however my impression is that the Emotiva provided a great deal of detail, and better imaging than the B&K. The B&K provided better and tighter bass response, however did not provide the detail that the Emotiva provided. At the start of Little Wing, the Emotiva excelled with the reverb from the guitar solo making me feel closer to a live performance. When the bass and drums join the guitar, the bass is much tighter with the B&K. The Choir at the start of Kiss by a Rose sounded awesome through the Emotiva, the separation and imaign was impressive, but when the bass kicks in the B&K was tighter... almost to a fault where it overwhlemed the vocals. With Fantasy, the horns, Philip Bailey's voice, and the little details (chimes & other noises) excelled with the Emotiva. The B&K was much more funky with the thumping bass, however almost over played Philip Baileys voice.

I could easily live with either of these amps.

I chose the Emotiva for two reasons. 1. because it is my impression that I can easily add a sub or bi-amp my speakers voice coil to improve the bass response from the Emotiva, where getting more detail from the B&K would be a challenge. 2. Upgrades - Future capabilities that I am interested in are: ethernet port, HDMI 1.3, Video upscaling/switching to 1080P, and lastly, USB interface for MP3 player. Emotiva is not afraid to share some of the details regarding the upgrade of the DMC-1. When I contacted B&K, who is known to also be very good at offering upgrade path, they explained that they are working on an upgrade... the reply that I received from them states "Currently our engineers are working on the next generation of product and upgrades and I currently don't have any information available. "

I also had 3 other audiophile friends and my wife listen to the comparison between these amps, and listened to the same songs plus any other music in my player plat they wanted to hear. They chose the Emotiva for the same reasons I did... great detail.
post #40 of 17223 Old 02-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi folks, finally got the new amp yesterday, for those of you who are interested I took some pics of setting these up mainly do to the Power Module design and also the sheer size and heft of this brute.

This box took a few direct hits...hoping its ok.

Packaging is first rate( good thing) all double boxed, this the chassis in its black cloth sack.

The chassis unveiled,

Check out the packing on the power modules, boxed, each module in its own box and this inside

]

------[IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o315/jetjockey1/IMG_0078.jpg

[/IMG]--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated HT, 20'x15'.5", Sanyo PLV-Z5 PJ / 96" diag. Da-Lite CinemaVision screen, Oppo 971H DVD Player, Emotiva MPS-1 5x200wpc Amplifier, Yamaha RX-V2500 pre/pro, Klipsch RF83 Floorstanders (fire breathing monsters) LOL.,Klipsch RC62 Center.,Mirage OM260 floorstander surrounds,Polk R10 rear surrounds, Paradigm PW2200 Sub (teeth rattler)
post #41 of 17223 Old 02-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Some of this is from another post I made on the Klipsch forums

Hey James, Detroit...lol, sorry had to spend some time with it last nite(about 5 hours) to get an early assesment. First thing I noticed is an overall much fuller sound, drums and bass lines are much more pronounced and well defined. The yammy used to have a problem where the LF channel would not come up evenly with the others, especially noticeable in 2 channel listening and concerts etc, it was always too low( i'm pretty sure), now the imaging in 2 channel is much much better, soundstage was good before now seems to be wider. Overall response is amazing, everything appears much smoother especially when you really give it some serious cranking. Also noticed with some tracks, the whole soundstage seems to rise up way above the speakers( really weird actually the first time it happened). Put on Norah Jones, "feels like home", and I have to say that this disc always sounded great, but OMG, you want to hear the dynamics of this is a thing of beauty, her voice is like you are in the studio and when the piano comes in , its hard for me to explain I'm obviously not a reviewer, but it just seems to fill the room and your whole body with each chord being struck by the hammer.

My wife says it puts a smile on her face(she loves Nora) and its really rich, lol.

As of note, the usual crap sounding Cd's still sound like crap, if in fact its possible ,even crappier...

Movies...some of this from another post i made on the Klipsch forum
Fish, yes I totally agree with that given my limited experience with the MPS1 so far. The first thing that grabbed my attention was the super heavyduty build quality and precision with how it was designed and made. This is one serious bad a** amp is all I can say.

Watching (listening) to LOTR last nite was just simply out of this world, my old Yammy was really good or so i thought but the difference is really quite alarming. As you all know, there are alot of soft passages and then huge peaks in power, this is where I noticed the biggest difference, it is obvious that the Yammy just plain ran out of steam and certain amonts of the soundtack were being lost in the fray. Again, bass respnse being massive and tight, one scene where the Orgs are advancing on the castle and those trolls are beating the drums was one of those holy s**t moments, also when the Orgs were winding up their catapaults and releasing their thunder was really awesome.

Anyway, so far all I can say is WOW, music is fantastic and the movie experience just went through the roof....lol, literally.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated HT, 20'x15'.5", Sanyo PLV-Z5 PJ / 96" diag. Da-Lite CinemaVision screen, Oppo 971H DVD Player, Emotiva MPS-1 5x200wpc Amplifier, Yamaha RX-V2500 pre/pro, Klipsch RF83 Floorstanders (fire breathing monsters) LOL.,Klipsch RC62 Center.,Mirage OM260 floorstander surrounds,Polk R10 rear surrounds, Paradigm PW2200 Sub (teeth rattler)
post #42 of 17223 Old 02-23-2007, 08:23 AM

Anyone post your thoughts on the sound quality of the ultralites? Would be replacing a Harman Kardon 520 with the lmc/lpa combo (second generation) this summer.
post #43 of 17223 Old 02-23-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

With sq the equal of or better than receivers at it's price points and a much stronger multichannel amp the ultralites seem to me a better value and a no- brainer.

Actually, considering that some AVR's in its price range are now shipping with relatively sophisticated room correction software built in, the ultralites are probably a sonic step backwards from some similarly priced AVR's. Maybe even a big one, depending on how good one's mains speakers are and how optimal one's speaker placement is.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #44 of 17223 Old 02-23-2007, 09:59 AM

You might be right but the problem I have with mid priced receivers is their all channel driven rating. Apparently Pioneer Elite seems to have a much lower rating than it's 2 channel stats. I might even consider the MMC-1/IPS-1 combo if I can scrape up the bucks.
post #45 of 17223 Old 02-23-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

According to Emotiva, differences between DMC-1 and MMC-1:
1) XLRs removed from DMC-1 allowing HDMI switcher to be internal in MMC-1
2) Different Remote (MX-500 vs. P/P only)
3) Better Cosmetics on DMC-1
post #46 of 17223 Old 02-23-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

My 2000th post. About the only thing the Emotivas seem to lack is room correction.
post #47 of 17223 Old 02-23-2007, 03:31 PM

Room correction isn't a fixall. Even the most sophisticated circuits can't take the place of a properly setup system. Also, just because there is room correction doesn't indicate the sound quality of the unit.

With regards to the LMCs, I currently own them. I have also owned several room correcting receivers, mostly in the Pioneer family. While room correction works well, the sound quality and open soundstage characteristics of the emotiva combo are much better than slapping an eq on top of an inferior preamp/amp and calling the sound "corrected." I would disagree that the LMC is a step backwards as far as quality. If you compare ease of use and features, then yes they would be a step back.

Bottom line, room correction has it's place, but it isn't the magical fixall, especially for music. I'm definetly looking forward to an affordable prepro with the current receiver feature set including room correction, but not at the expense of the rest of the system.
post #48 of 17223 Old 02-23-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1976 View Post

Room correction isn't a fixall. Even the most sophisticated circuits can't take the place of a properly setup system. Also, just because there is room correction doesn't indicate the sound quality of the unit.

What "sound quality?" Am I mistaken, or did a discussion about commodity products (audio amplifiers, etc.) turn into a discussion about something that's actually important?

Quote:

Bottom line, room correction has it's place, but it isn't the magical fixall, especially for music.

Nobody claimed otherwise. However, a well-implemented EQ/phase/time delay is better than the absence thereof.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #49 of 17223 Old 02-23-2007, 06:30 PM

DS21, When you say that the ultralites are a sonic step backwards, that evokes a conversation about sound quality. You said that because a mid range receiver has a room eq, it would automatically put it ahead of something without an eq. Having owned a Denon Audessey setup as well as 3 Pioneer receivers with MCACC, and I currently own the Ultra Lites, I feel well qualified to speak about the merits of room equalization and what is available in mid/hi end receivers.

Also, amplifiers/preamplifiers are not commodity products. The soundstage in the room can vary greatly based on the quality of components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Actually, considering that some AVR's in its price range are now shipping with relatively sophisticated room correction software built in, the ultralites are probably a sonic step backwards from some similarly priced AVR's. Maybe even a big one, depending on how good one's mains speakers are and how optimal one's speaker placement is.

post #50 of 17223 Old 02-24-2007, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DS21, When you say that the ultralites are a sonic step backwards, that evokes a conversation about sound quality. You said that because a mid range receiver has a room eq, it would automatically put it ahead of something without an eq.

You're missing a few words: "Well implemented."

Quote:

Also, amplifiers/preamplifiers are not commodity products. The soundstage in the room can vary greatly based on the quality of components.

I thought this was "AV Science," not "AV Voodoo and Witchcraft." Am I mistaken?

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #51 of 17223 Old 02-24-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:

With regards to the LMCs, I currently own them. I have also owned several room correcting receivers, mostly in the Pioneer family. While room correction works well, the sound quality and open soundstage characteristics of the emotiva combo are much better than slapping an eq on top of an inferior preamp/amp and calling the sound "corrected." I would disagree that the LMC is a step backwards as far as quality. If you compare ease of use and features, then yes they would be a step back.

Bottom line, room correction has it's place, but it isn't the magical fixall, especially for music. I'm definetly looking forward to an affordable prepro with the current receiver feature set including room correction, but not at the expense of the rest of the system.

This is the information I was looking for. Again if the sq is equal to, or better than receivers at it's price point, and with a more powerful amplifier the ultralight combo would appear to be a better value. Hopefully they will include hdmi 1.3 and high def surround decoders in their second generation products.
post #52 of 17223 Old 02-24-2007, 02:47 PM

DS-21, so you are saying that I could put a "well implemented" room equalization system on an inferior amplifier, with a preamp section that has lower quality parts and a poorer design and it will sound the same? Call me crazy, but the "witchcraft" that you speak of runs rampant in your theroy. If it were true, then there wouldn't be a market for anything above $500 dollars.

What happens to the detail that is lost in the poorer components? The room equalizer magically makes it reappear? If the room requires higher bass output due to the placement of the speakers, then I would suppose that the room eq would bump up the bass and overcome the physical limitation of the amp?

Have you ever listened to the products you are arguing about?

The bottom line is room correction circuits are designed to improve the acoustics of your room and how the equipment interacts with the room. It does make a difference and with a good circuit you are better off with it, but it doesn't work miracles and it won't make a lower end preamp or receiver sound like a better model.
post #53 of 17223 Old 02-24-2007, 02:52 PM

hikinokie,

Yea, if sound quality is your ultimate goal, then you'll find very little that competes with the LMC combo around the price, especially the amp. It isn't as user friendly as mass channel products, but it depends on what you are going for.

I can't wait for the new preamp to come out. Especially if Emotiva makes good on their trade in policy!
post #54 of 17223 Old 02-24-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

I thought this was "AV Science," not "AV Voodoo and Witchcraft." Am I mistaken?

Stating that an pre/amp or amp can effect soundstaging isn't VooDoo.
post #55 of 17223 Old 02-24-2007, 03:43 PM

Jason1976,
That's the idea, biggest bang for the buck. I'm sure Emotiva, as would any other company, reads these forums and will make an attempt to engineer out some of the major bugs/complaints users have about their products like DPL11x, funky remote or whatever. They also must be aware that there is somewhat of a pent up demand for hdmi 1.3 and high def audio decoders as people want to make their next purchases as future proof as possible.
post #56 of 17223 Old 02-24-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggSkins View Post

I finally have had a chance to post my thoughts on the Emotiva MPS-1 & DMC-1 vs the B&K AVR 507 2.

Speakers
Main - Anthony Gallo Acoustics Ref 3.1
Center - Anthony Gallo Acoustics Ref AV
Surround - Anthony Gallo Acoustics Ref AV

CD Player
Sony M555ES 400 Disc Changer

DVD Player
Panasonic DVD RV30

Test Music
Stevie Ray Vaughn, Little Wing
Seal, Kiss from a Rose
Earth Wind & Fire, Fantasy
Acoustic Alchemy, Reference Point

Test DVD
Master & Commander

Both the B&K and the Emotiva "Big Dogs" were both around the same price point at @ $3,000 and both sounded very good. When compared against each other, each had stregnths that appeared to point out potential weaknesses of the other. I tested the music audio in 2 ch stereo, and switched the input and speakers between the Amps as quickly as I could with the help of Banana Clips, and digital (optical) input connectors. I listened to @ 30 seconds to 1 Minute of a song then would switch the connections to the competitive amp, and listen to the same portion of the song.

I am sorry that I do not have the time to provide a song by song analyses, however my impression is that the Emotiva provided a great deal of detail, and better imaging than the B&K. The B&K provided better and tighter bass response, however did not provide the detail that the Emotiva provided. At the start of Little Wing, the Emotiva excelled with the reverb from the guitar solo making me feel closer to a live performance. When the bass and drums join the guitar, the bass is much tighter with the B&K. The Choir at the start of Kiss by a Rose sounded awesome through the Emotiva, the separation and imaign was impressive, but when the bass kicks in the B&K was tighter... almost to a fault where it overwhlemed the vocals. With Fantasy, the horns, Philip Bailey's voice, and the little details (chimes & other noises) excelled with the Emotiva. The B&K was much more funky with the thumping bass, however almost over played Philip Baileys voice.

I could easily live with either of these amps.

I chose the Emotiva for two reasons. 1. because it is my impression that I can easily add a sub or bi-amp my speakers voice coil to improve the bass response from the Emotiva, where getting more detail from the B&K would be a challenge. 2. Upgrades - Future capabilities that I am interested in are: ethernet port, HDMI 1.3, Video upscaling/switching to 1080P, and lastly, USB interface for MP3 player. Emotiva is not afraid to share some of the details regarding the upgrade of the DMC-1. When I contacted B&K, who is known to also be very good at offering upgrade path, they explained that they are working on an upgrade... the reply that I received from them states "Currently our engineers are working on the next generation of product and upgrades and I currently don't have any information available. "

I also had 3 other audiophile friends and my wife listen to the comparison between these amps, and listened to the same songs plus any other music in my player plat they wanted to hear. They chose the Emotiva for the same reasons I did... great detail.

Ruggskins - glad to hear you enjoyed both - I chose the DMC-1 over B&K for the same reasons. Nothing against the B&K products - they are excellent - my ears just liked the DMC-1 better. Enjoy it and make sure to note that Emotiva has announced their trade-up program for the next-gen...40% off for existing Emotiva Pre/Pro owners (more information at Audioholics)
post #57 of 17223 Old 02-25-2007, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I have emailed Emotiva to see if their 40% offer also applies to its new rec'r, the DMR-1.

Interesting comparison between the DMR-1 and the MPS-1 & IPS-1 Combo.

The DMR-1 has the stunning cosmetics (and guts) of the DMC-1, the MX-500 remote and 125x7. $2000

The MPS-1 (prepro) and IPS-1 (amp) combo have ordinary cosmetics (w/the guts of the DMC-1), an in house remote that only controls the PrePro, and 150x7. 25wpc in dB is next to nothing. $2200

Both amps are type H with discrete monoblocks (subject to verification).
post #58 of 17223 Old 02-25-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post

I have emailed Emotiva to see if their 40% offer also applies to its new rec'r, the DMR-1.

Interesting comparison between the DMR-1 and the MPS-1 & IPS-1 Combo.

The DMR-1 has the stunning cosmetics (and guts) of the DMC-1, the MX-500 remote and 125x7. $2000

The MPS-1 (prepro) and IPS-1 (amp) combo have ordinary cosmetics (w/the guts of the DMC-1), an in house remote that only controls the PrePro, and 150x7. 25wpc in dB is next to nothing. $2200

Both amps are type H with discrete monoblocks (subject to verification).

I might be wrong but I think the digital amps Emotiva is using in the receiver is the same ones Harman Kardon used in their "digital path" receivers that weren't very well liked by people who bought them. You might check.
post #59 of 17223 Old 02-25-2007, 03:53 PM
EdS

Does anyone know if the new Emotiva pre-pro which will have HDMI 1.3 is a rebadged unit, similar to the DMC-1 which was based off the Sunfire platform, or a new design solely for/by Emotiva? I would think a rebadged unit is more likely to be available based on Emotiva's projections than a unique "Emotiva only" design.
post #60 of 17223 Old 02-25-2007, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdS View Post

Does anyone know if the new Emotiva pre-pro which will have HDMI 1.3 is a rebadged unit, similar to the DMC-1 which was based off the Sunfire platform, or a new design solely for/by Emotiva? I would think a rebadged unit is more likely to be available based on Emotiva's projections than a unique "Emotiva only" design.

I would expect that it is based on another platform, but who knows?

BTW - calling the DMC-1 rebadged is a bit of an overstatement.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page