post #721 of 17196 Old 05-13-2007, 06:39 AM
ped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBee View Post

Can anyone tell me what cord (the name of it I'd use there) I'm supposed to be looking at, at a B&M, for the amp trigger? It's killing me that no one knows. I don't either, but I don't work at an electronics store.

I'm trying to get everything properly set up (finally), and post some impressions.

This will do the trick. Technically you only need a mono cable, but those may be a little bit harder to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 17196 Old 05-13-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped View Post

This will do the trick. Technically you only need a mono cable, but those may be a little bit harder to find.

Thank you very much!
post #723 of 17196 Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

I find it difficult to believe that the LMC-1 is as bad as some are saying considering the combo with the LPA-1 has received much praise from audio/video publications.

What publications are you referring to? The only published review of the combo that I know of is an uncharacteristically brief review by Audioholics.

As I pointed out to vddobrev the other day, many LMC-1 owners are using lower-efficiency speakers like Rockets that would not be as revealing as Klipsches. Of course, it is also entirely possible that there is a problem with vddobrev's specific unit - in which case his replacement unit should solve the problem.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #724 of 17196 Old 05-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, freedom of speech so to say.
I am also about to start "trashing" Emotiva, and mind you I am not coming from high end separates.
However, I will be simply voicing my experience with Emotiva and Klipsch speakers - it simply does not work. Emotiva LMC-1 cannot compete even with my old Sony receiver in terms of noise and speed of decoding. It may have whatever sound qualities, but if it hisses like 100 snakes and if it takes 2-3 seconds to hear audio after I pressed play, I will trash it.
It is my own opinion and experience, and I should be allowed to voice it. What everyone else makes out of it, its their own business.

Speaking of their [Emotiva] good customer service. I requested a replacement on 5/2, the replacement is scheduled to arrive on 5/16 - this is not what I call fast. Their phone always goes into voicemail, and on several occasions, they promissed to call me back, but instead, I had to call and find out what's going on with the replacement.
So go ahead and add me to the same list as gmauriello.

Klipsch speakers are very particular about where they get their signals from, they can be very harsh sounding without the "perfect" front end powering them. The Emo pre/pro are not a good match, I had the Rf83 and sold them when I got my DMC1, they sounded that bad. I wasn't very happy with them anyway , sure movies sounded ok but for the most part I was always trying to convince myself that they sounded good. So, after alot of research and reading I ordered the Axiom M80v2 and I have to say, this IS a match made in heaven. In 2 channel listening with my NADC542 CD, the sound is simply friggin awesome, just amazing. I will say however that Klipsch make some of the finest center channels available in their price range, do yourself a favour and have a listen.

I have now had my DMC1/MPS1 setup for a few months and all I can say is WOW !!. With a decent set of speakers you will find yourself in musical nirvana, SQ is first rate stunning in all regards and plays loud and clear with much authority while retaing ALL of its musical greatness.

If you have the cash, upsize to the MMC or DMC if you cannot handle the LMC quircks, these have none that I have found and the sound......sonic bliss
post #725 of 17196 Old 05-13-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have not received my Emotiva combo and you're creating anxiety in me and others that we should not have.

Seriously, you should have anxiety about any HT purchase.
post #726 of 17196 Old 05-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

vddobrev, I have not seen you on other forum topics trashing Emotiva like gmauriello. What if your 100 snake hissing problem is a grounding issue or a cable plugged in where it shouldn't be.

I can't tell you how many mistakes I've made in the past with electronics. Of course I'm blessed with an abnormally high IQ and an inate ability to fix mistakes without needing help from others. Sometimes I make mistakes to prove I'm human but it really don't think I am.

I find it difficult to believe that the LMC-1 is as bad as some are saying considering the combo with the LPA-1 has received much praise from audio/video publications.

The Patriot Act has abolished the constitution. You have no freedom of speech. Censorship reigns supreme.

I am mainly on Klipsch and AVS forums.
I AM NOT saying LMC-1 is bad, it ismply doesn't work with my Klipsch Reference 3 and 7 series.

It's not cable or grounding issue, because when I connect the old Sony as a processor to LPA-1 instead of LMC-1 there is no hiss. Same cables, same source, same everything, just Sony in the place of LMC-1.

About the Patriot Act... oh yea
post #727 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Last night I noticed faint but noitceable hum coming from my speakers that are connected to Emotiva LPA-1. I am certain it was not there before. I freaked out and I powered off everything - amp, receiver, TV, PC.
I then powered everything back on, and there was no hum. Isn't this strange?
I don't have cable TV, all components are connected to one power circuit thru Monster power serge protector/filter.
Do I have power problems? What kind? How to isolate them?
post #728 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You're imagining things because of what you have been reading on this thread.
post #729 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Or there may have been a device on elsewhere in the house that created some interference (dimmer switch, vacuum, hair dryer, compressor in the fridge, ...) that is rarely turned on when the system is running. It could even have been a power cable that had shifted too close to some other cables and been moved back into place - although the cable scenario seems unlikely from his description of the event, both seem more probable than writing it off as simple imagination.

gonk
post #730 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

I am certainly not imagining things

Could have been the fridge, or some other device in the house. I'll see if it hapens again.
post #731 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

I just finished setting up my LMC-1 and LPA-1 combo. I've balanced the speakers with my Radio Shack analog sound level meter. The components look at sound very nice. So far I've listened to a lot of CD's connected through a digital coaxial cable on my CD Player. I also auditioned the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS concert.

The Emotiva combo sounds far superio to my Denon AVR-3801. The on sreen display is wonderful and intuitive. I didn't need the instruction manual at all during installation.

I have no hum or hiss coming from the LMC-1. I have the LPA-1 and LMC-1 running through a Belkin Pure AV PF-40 power conditioner. I also have everything grounded correctly.

It does take a few seconds to switch from mode to mode or input to input. The 2-3 seconds to switch components doesn't bother me at all.

I need a couple weeks to really get a handle on the Emotiva components, but so far so good. Both components were very well packed for delivery.

It was sad a day to put the Denon AVR-3801 away in it's original box. I soon forgot that I missed the Denon.

The bypass mode is great. I really didn't think I would like this mode as much as I do.

One problem I will have to work around is finding some way to connect my HDTV tuner optical or my DIRECTV optical connection to the same connection or the DVD input. The LMC-1 has 3 optical in's. I'm using my digital coaxial for the DVD player and the XBOX for the auxilary connection. I will figure something out.
post #732 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 04:02 PM

Any word on the firmware upgrades for the LMC-1? I thought we were supposed to be hearing news by now.

We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Short Pause......Hold your breath for the dynamic duo!
post #733 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I just finished setting up my LMC-1 and LPA-1 combo. I've balanced the speakers with my Radio Shack analog sound level meter. The components look at sound very nice. So far I've listened to a lot of CD's connected through a digital coaxial cable on my CD Player. I also auditioned the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS concert.

The Emotiva combo sounds far superio to my Denon AVR-3801. The on sreen display is wonderful and intuitive. I didn't need the instruction manual at all during installation.

I have no hum or hiss coming from the LMC-1. I have the LPA-1 and LMC-1 running through a Belkin Pure AV PF-40 power conditioner. I also have everything grounded correctly.

It does take a few seconds to switch from mode to mode or input to input. The 2-3 seconds to switch components doesn't bother me at all.

I need a couple weeks to really get a handle on the Emotiva components, but so far so good. Both components were very well packed for delivery.

It was sad a day to put the Denon AVR-3801 away in it's original box. I soon forgot that I missed the Denon.

The bypass mode is great. I really didn't think I would like this mode as much as I do.

One problem I will have to work around is finding some way to connect my HDTV tuner optical or my DIRECTV optical connection to the same connection or the DVD input. The LMC-1 has 3 optical in's. I'm using my digital coaxial for the DVD player and the XBOX for the auxilary connection. I will figure something out.

i'm sure...with your abnormally high iq...that you will!

post #734 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushisrighton View Post

I recommended the Emotiva lpa1 to my friend, I have an Adcom 7807 (I believe someone on here referred to adcom stuff as junk at one point during this thread).

The lpa-1 sounds great, looks VERY nice, and has quite a heft to it, nothing about it was cheap. It is a rock solid performer that delivers quality way above it's price point.

My Adcom 7807 which has a suggested retail price at close to 4 g's, but sells for much less, and is closer to 2g's used, weighs a hefty 128 pounds, and delivers 300wpc at 8ohms - and I'll bet it hits those specs and more if it can suck enough juice out of the outlet to do it.........is hardly junk, anybody who says something like that is sadly mistakeing, same goes for those here who are saying derogatory things of emotiva's amps.

I almost bought a mps-1, but decided on a class A/B Adcom over the class H Emo. I like to listen to SACD's and figured the Adcom might have been the better bet for that. I'm driving 6 Klipsh RF-7's so it's good to know I have a little extra power to cover those impedence dips.

It all depends on how much coin you are willing to drop, it would be nice to try every amp and speaker combo but in the end you get what you can afford and appeals to you. The emo's to ME look and sound sweet!

I have no problem with the direct to consumer model. That's why I bought the Oppo 981. And I am very happy with it. also considered a Carada screen, but eventually went with stewart because it is widely recognized as the "reference" screen and was only about an extra $1,000.

I made the "junk" statement out of frustration...after paying $1700 and installing the modules...it didn't work. When it finally worked, it sounded awful. I had no problem retracting my comment and praising their service, but also had no problem sending it back. I was willing to do so on my dime, but they offered to ship it back BECAUSE of my bad experience. I see no reaon to feel guilty about taking advatage of a firms in-home trial offer. If I can't hear or see it before I buy it, I should be able to return it if it doesn't perform.

I also agree with you about the adcom. It certainly isn't junk. It IS ugly as sin, in my opinion, but it is hidden away and no one will see ever see it, so it could be pink and green and I wouldn't care. I have 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits to my equipment rack (and another to my projector) so juice won't be an issue. I think it sounds great. And I picked it up from my local a/v guy for less than the price of the ultra combo!

sorry I haven't gone away...but Hans just kills me!
post #735 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:

You're imagining things because of what you have been reading on this thread.

Or did it ever occur to you that it could be something as simple as his hums due to the specifics of his installation and/or Emotiva gear, and your units don't for completely unrelated reasons? Is it possible that you could BOTH be right, or are you unwilling to ever admit that someone else could be correct. We know that YOU always are, at least that's what you tell us in your own humble, modest, restrained way.
post #736 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure what your point is. I just think complaining about a $900 combo separates package is too demanding. There's no receiver that can compare to the LMC-1 and LPA-1 that I am aware of. The LPA-1 has loads of power in reserve for my setup.

I'm a golden god!
post #737 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

The only thing Emo does right currently is their amps. The rest is garbage. Try it, see it, touch it, send it back.
post #738 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

I still don't get why there is a handful of people trashing Emotiva's products. The high pitch hum several have spoken of is probably due to high impedence speakers or speakers that are rated at 8ohms and run at 6ohms or less. Sensitive speakers usually means high impedence.
post #739 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not sure what your point is. I just think complaining about a $900 combo separates package is too demanding. There's no receiver that can compare to the LMC-1 and LPA-1 that I am aware of. The LPA-1 has loads of power in reserve for my setup.

I'm a golden god!

Hans, your point absolutely amazing!!! This is fundamental, price point does not matter here. It does not matter if a product costs $1 or $1000, if it does not meet my expectations and demands, I will return it, and cmplain about it. Thinking "oh well it only costs so little, why should I complain." Well, for one thing, its my money that I spent. It's called "voting with your wallet", how else will one company succeed and other fail if we all bought junk and didn't return it?
post #740 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am happy for you that you like Emotiva because they do diserve a chance to make it in this market of audio equipment. However, I think they still have a lot work to do and improve their products.
post #741 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm a golden god!

There you go, we worship you golden god! That is the right attitude to be respected in an online community
post #742 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by billatlakegeorge View Post

The only thing Emo does right currently is their amps. The rest is garbage. Try it, see it, touch it, send it back.

You should heed Confucius (and I'm paraphrasing)
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than post drivel like the above and remove all doubt.
post #743 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

You should read this review on the rsp-1 & rpa-1.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...07-part-1.html
post #744 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

thanks mattburk, I read the above article and bought the LMC-1 LPA-1 because of what Secrets of Home Theater thought of the Emotiva 2 channel set.

Don't buy direct from the manufacturer if you have unrealistic expectations. It seems to me that a few guys (Vddobrev, and Gmauriello) are trashing Emotiva. If you don't like something, say nothing unless you received bad customer service.
post #745 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billatlakegeorge View Post

Bill, up until now I had little doubt that your experience was honest and real. My MMC (and others DMCs and MMCs) have been virtually spotless in their approval. The LMC has certainly had its bumps (and, IMO, some legitimate complaints). I had previously chalked up your experience to personal preference or perhaps a bad unit, and totally understood your frank expression of why you stuck with Denon. Now I'm trying to comprehend your motives.

Thanks to gonk and others here who have kept the conversation objective and honest.

I'm still cabling (found a tear in one of my NHT 3C's woofers after the move ), but so far I'm quite impressed with the MMC/LPA combo. There are a few quirks that I'm working out. I suspect most of them are due to my lack of experience with the MMC. I will continue to report here if there are inherent flaws that arise.
post #746 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmauriello View Post

i'm sure...with your abnormally high iq...that you will!

Listen up kids, don't do drugs.
post #747 of 17196 Old 05-14-2007, 10:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

If you don't like something, say nothing unless you received bad customer service.

Get real. You want people to speak up only when everything is good or even if just part of something is good, but not say anything negative when anything at all is bad. That is ridiculous! Just good customer service alone is not 100% of the equation! There can be faults or problems in a product, that customer service can not fix or cure. And people should speak up about any of those, so others can know about them just like anything else. But you seem to want people to ignore all that because the CS was good. Again, that is ridiculous!
post #748 of 17196 Old 05-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

That is not what I am saying at all. I just received my LMC-1 and LPA-1 combo today. Compared to my Denon AVR-3801, the Emotiva combo easily is superior to the Denon. Considering that Emotiva is significantly less expensive on this combo than anything Outlaw has and considering shipping is free which outlaw only offers on "B" stock, I think this is an outstanding value.

Gonk has made several points and has offered constructive criticism of the LMC-1. I think it's a good idea to be critical. Gonk has posted his concerns and the flaws of the LMC-1. I think this is great.

Gmauriello on the other hand, received free shipping both ways on his Emotiva equipment. Emotiva paid for return shipping when they didn't have to. What Gmauriello is doing is similar to what Costco shoppers used to do with electronics. Unethical Costco shoppers would buy a $2K receiver and return it when a new model came out 1-4 years later. It was like Rent A Center without having to pay for the rental. Emotiva says try our stuff and return it if you don't like it. Trashing a company who offers a good will service on forums is unethical I believe. It's one thing to say you had a bad experience with a product but Gmauriello is cruising the AVS forums telling everybody to stay away from Emotiva, it's bad. That's not right.

I think there's a lot of people who payed too much for separates in the present or past. Emotiva is offering high quality products and very low prices. What if somebody spends 20K on Krell separates and can buy the Emotiva flagship for 3K with free shipping. The same can be said of speaker cables and interconnects. Some people spend thousands and get very little in return on their investment.

Suppose Gmauriello spent way to much on marginal equipment in the past on his home theater. From what Gmauriello says, he's got quite a nice setup with separate circuits and I'm guessing a huge media room. So he buys Emotiva stuff dirt cheap and can't accept that a $1,600 amp sounds as good if not better than a 10K amp he may have bought in the past. From everything I've read on this forum, Emotiva's amps are very good, but Gmauriello says they sound terrible

Gmauriello may have spent too much in the past and could not take the wife and kids on a nice family cruise because of his expensive hobby. Instead of taking responsibilty for his mistake he blames Emotiva for making inexpensive separates that are a good value.

At no time did I ever tell anybody to buy Emotiva products becuase I did. I think it's unfair that there are several individuals, Gmauriello, EBee, Vddobrev and maybe others that are using this forum to trash Emotiva. These individuals could be hurting Emotiva's business for purely selfish reasons. Auditioning Emotiva's equipment was risk free for these guys and they loudly complain.

Instead of just making one post and saying "I had a bad experience with Emotiva products" and leave it at that, Gmauriello and others are slamming the products.

Outlaw Audio was slammed a lot when they first came to the market. In fact, Outlaw is no longer the value leader they once were a couple years ago. When I say that, many will defend Outlaw because now they are an established and respected brand. Outlaw used to sell a pre/pro and a 100w amp for $1198 or $1,298. Now the Outlaw stuff is significantly more expensive. Once a brand is established, they feel they have the right to charge a premium.

The fact is that people seem to think because they bought something and returned it they are speaking with their dollars and that they have the right. Once you return something and get a full refund your like an idian giver with your own money. So the LMC-1 has some faults and quirks. Gonk is trying hard by posting the flaws and contacting Emotiva about the dongle to fix the problems. He has not jumped ship and trashed the company. Gonk is speaking with his dollars by asking for updated fixes on the LMC-1 problems while others who returned their equipment trash Emotiva from the sidelines.

Mercy is for the weak!
post #749 of 17196 Old 05-15-2007, 02:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

That is not what I am saying at all.

Yes it is.
No matter how you try to spin it, that is exactly what you have been saying.
post #750 of 17196 Old 05-15-2007, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks mattburk, I read the above article and bought the LMC-1 LPA-1 because of what Secrets of Home Theater thought of the Emotiva 2 channel set.

The Emotiva two-channel set is purely an analog pre-amp and amp. The LMC-1 is a digital surround processor, which incorporates a significantly different set of design challenges. I would personally not suggest that a purchasing decision for any company's surround processor ever be based on a single review of its success with a more expensive analog stereo pre-amp. The RSP-1 has no digital inputs, no surround processing, no video switching, and only a simple two-setting analog bass management system. The LMC-1 includes ADC, DAC, DSP for all the usual suspects (with documented issues relating to some of those modes), video switching including transcoding of s-video/composite to component, digital bass management using either a triple crossover of a global crossover (depending on whether or not Pro Logic II/IIx is used with a Dolby Digital source, although that particular behavior is still not officially documented), and a few other design issues that are simply absent from the RSP-1 at the same time that it costs less than the RSP-1. I simply don't see how a positive review of one equates to a reason to buy the other.
Quote:

Don't buy direct from the manufacturer if you have unrealistic expectations. It seems to me that a few guys (Vddobrev, and Gmauriello) are trashing Emotiva. If you don't like something, say nothing unless you received bad customer service.

I really haven't seen much in the way of unrealistic expectations among Emotiva owners, and I've been following the LMC-1 for well over a year and a half now. You may disagree with the manner in which some Emotiva owners have expressed themselves, and in some cases that may be perfectly valid, but that doesn't negate the fact that the underlying reasons for those expressions may have some validity. I'll offer a few examples. The MPS-1 has typically been very well-regarded sonically, but I've also seen a significant number of reports over the last two years or so of folks having to exchange individual channels due to defects. For some affected by that situation, that exchange process may be worth the final result (a good-sounding 7x200W amp for a really good price), but there will be others who are disappointed in the need for that exchange process - as is their right. The LMC-1 is another example, with a lengthy list of known problems (some very significant) that has lingered for a very long time without much response from Emotiva. These are not issues that qualify as "asking too much for the price point" or "unrealistic expectations" - they are generally basic operational issues for which the price tag doesn't enter into the equation. Some folks use their LMC-1's in such a way that they can avoid the more problematic issues (lack of surround mode memory, for example), but not everyone is going to be like that.

By the way, I really can't agree with that last statement at all. This and other forums exist in part to help people gather information, and simply withholding information because it isn't "nice" is not going to get anybody anywhere. I would suggest an alternative statement of: "If you don't like something, explain why you didn't like it - and if there were good things (such as customer service or even a particularly handy feature that you did like) it would be useful to others to say that as well."

gonk
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page