EMOTIVA Thread Q&A [TECHNICAL TALK ONLY] - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 17223 Old 11-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Member
 
drecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RDPERRY,

If you have the money, IMHO, the IPS-1 over the LPA-1 is a no brainer. I think the difference in cost is about $400. Amortized over a min ownership of 10yrs,...see where I'm going with this?

Performance wise again looking at pictures on Emo's site you can clearly see the build upgrade of the IPS-1. Think of it this way, you could put AA batteries in series to get the same power rating (volts) as a car battery. Which setup would you want to start your car or which do you think can produce more current?.........Anyways, good luck with whatever decision that you make. Just make sure that it will be an upgrade over your existing equipment.
drecar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 17223 Old 11-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
 
rdperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks for the input guys I think I will try the Ips-1 and see how I like it. I will be sure to post my impressions for everyone when I ge it set up.
rdperry is offline  
post #1083 of 17223 Old 11-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Member
 
drecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What equipment are you planning on replacing or is this a new system? I look forward to your impression when have the chance to post them. Hopefully mine will show up this week.
drecar is offline  
post #1084 of 17223 Old 11-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
 
rdperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am replacing a jvc 702 right now but I have had the Outlaw 7125 and 7500 and well as the Monster 3 channel amp. I think I have had about twenty or so receivers as well over the last 5 or 6 years hk, outlaw, Nad, pioneer ,sony es, jvc,onkyo and to be honest none hold a candle the Sq that the seperate amp can give to my ears anyway. I made a deal with the wife that I sold my separates when we bought a house a couple of years ago to off set the cost of the new house.I was promised when I got a dedicated room for games set up in the house I could buy my seperates again. I have been able to put together a little money right now and I want to invest in the best amp I can get for the money and right now that seems like the ips-1. I know with a new kid just arriving that I have to make a amp selection that will last me many years thus the stress of picking the right one that iwill be happy with for a long time. It is kind of funny because my home audio addiction runs so deep that I let my subsciptions to my magazines run out and stayed off the websites so that I would be able the hold off my craving for new gear till I had the money. Once I heard the difference in seperates over receivers I was hooked and I knew that I would not be happy till I owned the again. I will keep you posted as I hope to get my order out the middle of the week and I will let everyone know my impressions when I get it all hooked up. Also for the record the jvc 702 is a great sounding little reciever and anyone who is looking for a great little reciever should give this one a look.
rdperry is offline  
post #1085 of 17223 Old 11-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Member
 
drecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdperry View Post

I am replacing a jvc 702 right now but I have had the Outlaw 7125 and 7500 and well as the Monster 3 channel amp. I think I have had about twenty or so receivers as well over the last 5 or 6 years hk, outlaw, Nad, pioneer ,sony es, jvc,onkyo and to be honest none hold a candle the Sq that the seperate amp can give to my ears anyway. I made a deal with the wife that I sold my separates when we bought a house a couple of years ago to off set the cost of the new house.I was promised when I got a dedicated room for games set up in the house I could buy my seperates again. I have been able to put together a little money right now and I want to invest in the best amp I can get for the money and right now that seems like the ips-1. I know with a new kid just arriving that I have to make a amp selection that will last me many years thus the stress of picking the right one that iwill be happy with for a long time. It is kind of funny because my home audio addiction runs so deep that I let my subsciptions to my magazines run out and stayed off the websites so that I would be able the hold off my craving for new gear till I had the money. Once I heard the difference in seperates over receivers I was hooked and I knew that I would not be happy till I owned the again. I will keep you posted as I hope to get my order out the middle of the week and I will let everyone know my impressions when I get it all hooked up. Also for the record the jvc 702 is a great sounding little reciever and anyone who is looking for a great little reciever should give this one a look.

LOL, exactly! Its never ending,........until you put a stop to it. I went 10+ yrs before finally getting surround sound. From time to time I still dream about ML's,........anyways I'm not jumping into the rabbit hole again after this purchase.
drecar is offline  
post #1086 of 17223 Old 11-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Member
 
coffeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone think the IPS-1 has a longer life expectancy than the LPA-1 just by virtue of it being a class H amp? I'm looking to keep this for a long time.

Congrats on the purchase rdperry, I'm going to be ordering tomorrow. Just don't know which one yet. I did order a BPA-1 for my office. Can't wait to see that little box in action.
coffeeman is offline  
post #1087 of 17223 Old 11-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
raylock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post

Does anyone think the IPS-1 has a longer life expectancy than the LPA-1 just by virtue of it being a class H amp? I'm looking to keep this for a long time.

Congrats on the purchase rdperry, I'm going to be ordering tomorrow. Just don't know which one yet. I did order a BPA-1 for my office. Can't wait to see that little box in action.

Have you talked to Lonnie at Emotvia? If not give him a call. He should have the most definitive answer to your question. They are happy to talk to you.

Ray
raylock is offline  
post #1088 of 17223 Old 11-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Member
 
coffeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Calling today, no one answered over the weekend. Just thought someone here might have some input. Thanks.

update:
After talking to Lonnie, got the IPS-1. Since I'm interested in a long-term investment, he assured me this was the best way to go. Can't wait to get this beast up and running.

I'll be pairing this with my Denon 787 as a pre/pro. Anyone else using a commercial AVR as a pre for this amp and what are your thoughts? Thanks.

Oh, BTW. Speaking with Lonnie on the phone was great. Informative and no sales pitches, a real class act. This is one of the reasons I even looked at Emotiva to begin with. I have SVS speakers and sub and they've earned my loyalty for just this reason (and for making quality products of course). Great customer service and no BS sales pitches, qualities that are rare in any business.
coffeeman is offline  
post #1089 of 17223 Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
jedi.night's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently use a Denon AVR 2807 in my HT setup and was looking to possibly go with one of the Emotive Amps. But I have a few questions...


Would I be able to use the denon 2807 as a pre-amp and be able to take full advantage of it's features? Mainly its ability to process PCM from my PS3 and HD-A2 players? (Would I still get HD sound? now using a separate amp attached to the denon?)

Also, how would volume control work? Would the Denon still control the volume or the Emotive amp? or Both, similar to subwoofer gain?

Thanks....
jedi.night is offline  
post #1090 of 17223 Old 11-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Member
 
coffeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.night View Post

I currently use a Denon AVR 2807 in my HT setup and was looking to possibly go with one of the Emotive Amps. But I have a few questions...


Would I be able to use the denon 2807 as a pre-amp and be able to take full advantage of it's features? Mainly its ability to process PCM from my PS3 and HD-A2 players? (Would I still get HD sound? now using a separate amp attached to the denon?)

Also, how would volume control work? Would the Denon still control the volume or the Emotive amp? or Both, similar to subwoofer gain?

Thanks....

You should be able to use your Denon's functions fully. The volume would also be controlled by the receiver, most amplifiers do not have volume controls on them. I think the BPA-1 is the only emotiva amp that has one. All your doing is bypassing the Denon's internal amps in favor of better ones.
coffeeman is offline  
post #1091 of 17223 Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
galoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read through and I am still confused..........

What's the difference between the MPS-1 and MPS-2? other than price.
galoot is offline  
post #1092 of 17223 Old 11-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Member
 
coffeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nothing but the looks. They redesigned the MPS-1 to match (visually) their other gear and changed the name to MPS-2.
coffeeman is offline  
post #1093 of 17223 Old 11-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
LoudandClear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richardson Texas
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have 2 parasound amps (HCA-2003 and HCA-1206) and a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 pre/pro. What level of Emotiva equipment would be in the same category of each that I have? (Professional, Reference or Ultra) I'm considering trying the Emotiva line but I don't want to be disappointed with the sound quality.

Also I'm kind of leary about the Class H amps. Has there been any other class H amplifiers on the market very long that have performed and been rated very well? Constantly moving power supply rails concerns me.

Thanks for your time.

Mike
LoudandClear is offline  
post #1094 of 17223 Old 11-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
galoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madtexan View Post

I currently have 2 parasound amps (HCA-2003 and HCA-1206) and a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 pre/pro. What level of Emotiva equipment would be in the same category of each that I have? (Professional, Reference or Ultra) I'm considering trying the Emotiva line but I don't want to be disappointed with the sound quality.

Also I'm kind of leary about the Class H amps. Has there been any other class H amplifiers on the market very long that have performed and been rated very well? Constantly moving power supply rails concerns me.

Thanks for your time.

Mike

Sunfire use the same technology if i'm not mistaken. they seem to be well regarded.
galoot is offline  
post #1095 of 17223 Old 11-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
 
rdperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well I thought I would give an update. I ordered the lmc-lpa1 combo on tuesday. It is funny that Coffeman spoke to lonnie and was convinced to get the ips-1 while I talked to Dan and was talked into giving the lpa1 a try. He said that the dynamics might be a little better on the lpa1 due to one larger transformer to draw upon rather than each channel having its own smaller one. He seemed to think for the money that I sould give the lpa-1 a try and if it failed to meet my expectations than I have the thirty day trial period to exchange it. The bad news is the two week wait on the lmc-1 that is out of stock at the moment. I was told that at the time I ordered that there were only 75 lmcs left and then they were gone. I wanted to have one to hold me over the the lmc-2 so I am stuck waiting. The lpa-1 is due to be delivered tommorow so I thick I might pick up the denon 787 at circuit city since they have it real cheap to use as a pre/pro till my lmc-1 gets here. If I can get it all put together this weekend I will post my listening impressions and If you want a lmc you should think about ordering one soon.
rdperry is offline  
post #1096 of 17223 Old 11-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Member
 
coffeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdperry View Post

Well I thought I would give an update. I ordered the lmc-lpa1 combo on tuesday. It is funny that Coffeman spoke to lonnie and was convinced to get the ips-1 while I talked to Dan and was talked into giving the lpa1 a try. He said that the dynamics might be a little better on the lpa1 due to one larger transformer to draw upon rather than each channel having its own smaller one. He seemed to think for the money that I sould give the lpa-1 a try and if it failed to meet my expectations than I have the thirty day trial period to exchange it. The bad news is the two week wait on the lmc-1 that is out of stock at the moment. I was told that at the time I ordered that there were only 75 lmcs left and then they were gone. I wanted to have one to hold me over the the lmc-2 so I am stuck waiting. The lpa-1 is due to be delivered tommorow so I thick I might pick up the denon 787 at circuit city since they have it real cheap to use as a pre/pro till my lmc-1 gets here. If I can get it all put together this weekend I will post my listening impressions and If you want a lmc you should think about ordering one soon.


Well, I don't know what they said to you but in my case, I didn't have a budget really and told him I wanted the best bang for the buck and he SUGGESTED the IPS-1. For futureproofing I suppose. Lonnie said they built this thing to last forever which is what sold me (I also liked the full 7 channel output better). For half the price though, I think the LPA is quite the deal.
coffeeman is offline  
post #1097 of 17223 Old 12-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Member
 
coffeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdperry View Post

Well I thought I would give an update. I ordered the lmc-lpa1 combo on Tuesday. It is funny that Coffeman spoke to lonnie and was convinced to get the ips-1 while I talked to Dan and was talked into giving the lpa1 a try. He said that the dynamics might be a little better on the lpa1 due to one larger transformer to draw upon rather than each channel having its own smaller one. He seemed to think for the money that I should give the lpa-1 a try and if it failed to meet my expectations than I have the thirty day trial period to exchange it. The bad news is the two week wait on the lmc-1 that is out of stock at the moment. I was told that at the time I ordered that there were only 75 lmcs left and then they were gone. I wanted to have one to hold me over the the lmc-2 so I am stuck waiting. The lpa-1 is due to be delivered tomorrow so I thick I might pick up the denon 787 at circuit city since they have it real cheap to use as a pre/pro till my lmc-1 gets here. If I can get it all put together this weekend I will post my listening impressions and If you want a lmc you should think about ordering one soon.


rdperry, if you're interested in a Denon 787, I'm now selling mine in lieu of my IPS/MMC purchase. PM me if interested.


Well, I got my reference theater combo running and all I can say is wow, what a difference. This was my first shot at separates and I'm very pleased with the results. I now understand what you guys mean when you talk about the sound stage opening up and better imaging and the like. Watching Band of Brothers (Carentan) was my first trial movie since I've seen it many times and am quite familiar with it. I heard detail like never before. I don't know if it would just be the amp, the processor or both, but I like the way they look together so much I don't care! I'm keeping them both.
coffeeman is offline  
post #1098 of 17223 Old 12-01-2007, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rydenfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post

rdperry, if you're interested in a Denon 787, I'm now selling mine in lieu of my IPS/MMC purchase. PM me if interested.


Well, I got my reference theater combo running and all I can say is wow, what a difference. This was my first shot at separates and I'm very pleased with the results. I now understand what you guys mean when you talk about the sound stage opening up and better imaging and the like. Watching Band of Brothers (Carentan) was my first trial movie since I've seen it many times and am quite familiar with it. I heard detail like never before. I don't know if it would just be the amp, the processor or both, but I like the way they look together so much I don't care! I'm keeping them both.

Congrats! Always a great feeling when you know you made the right decision.
rydenfan is offline  
post #1099 of 17223 Old 12-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Member
 
drecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post

rdperry, if you're interested in a Denon 787, I'm now selling mine in lieu of my IPS/MMC purchase. PM me if interested.


Well, I got my reference theater combo running and all I can say is wow, what a difference. This was my first shot at separates and I'm very pleased with the results. I now understand what you guys mean when you talk about the sound stage opening up and better imaging and the like. Watching Band of Brothers (Carentan) was my first trial movie since I've seen it many times and am quite familiar with it. I heard detail like never before. I don't know if it would just be the amp, the processor or both, but I like the way they look together so much I don't care! I'm keeping them both.

Good to hear that it sounds wow!

I am still waiting for mine and my interconnect shipment.
drecar is offline  
post #1100 of 17223 Old 12-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
titch--'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cnd Prairies
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thats great news coffee.

Watch any more movies?

Im just wondering if you played any 2ch music, and how did that sound?

cheers

Trevor
titch-- is offline  
post #1101 of 17223 Old 12-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
rdperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just a quick update. I got my lpa 1 friday and it built like a tank but unfourtantly I have no receiver or pre/pro to run it with until I get my lmc-1. I was just going to pick up the Denon till I got the lmc them I would return the Denon but that didnt work out so all I can do is wait. I can tell you that it is built better then the outlaw amps I had. I will post back in a couple weeks with with my impressions on how the combo sounds.
rdperry is offline  
post #1102 of 17223 Old 12-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Member
 
coffeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by titch-- View Post

Thats great news coffee.

Watch any more movies?

Im just wondering if you played any 2ch music, and how did that sound?

cheers

No more movies yet! Unfortunately I have had no time . 2 Channel music is superb. Like I said with the movie I watched. I notice DETAIL that simply was not there before. It's like my previous setup was a little muffled. At low volumes (at night) I don't think there's a noticeable difference. But listening at my normal level, it sounds so much better. I have always been a little disappointed with surround sound in general with lots of movies. Simply because it would lack the detailed sound stage that I was expecting to get. I was always looking for that which is what led me to try out separates. Well, I get it now. Nuff said.

Just a side note on BOB-Carentan. The detail was so superb in watching this film, I felt like I was there, NO JOKE! When Easy Company is approaching the town of Carentan, there's a rustling of trees and leaves from the wind that was sooo cool. I felt surrounded by it, as if I were there. I never even noticed that the wind was rustling things up before. I'm sure I heard it, but I didn't notice it because it didn't stand out so much. Pretty cool.


I'm curious though if there would be any difference between the LPA/LMC combo and this one, I have a hunch that there's not much if any, especially for half the price. I should also point out that my speakers are the SVS set; 85db efficiency which gave my Denon a hard time at louder volumes. Now it's a walk in the park with the IPS.
coffeeman is offline  
post #1103 of 17223 Old 12-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
titch--'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cnd Prairies
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds sweet man!

As for the difference between the 2, I think you could hear a difference. I dont think it would be the identical. They are 2 different amps. Thats just my guess.

Lets us know when you watch something again and how it wnet please.

cheers

Trevor
titch-- is offline  
post #1104 of 17223 Old 12-05-2007, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
cbaseuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a panasonic xr57 receiver driving some ascend acoustics speakers for the fronts and center (the 170's for left/right and a 340se for the center), m&k 150 surrounds, and a SVS "trashcan" sub

My main question...I came from a Denon 3801 and tried the panasonic. I read numerous threads that said "oh, yeah--you'll hear a difference..the panasonic is much more clean and nuetral, yada yada yada...." Maybe it's true, but I couldn't hear a difference immediately, so i just told myself "it's better, i just don't know it yet", and made myself like it.

I want to make a move that I can TRUELY hear.....such as an LMC-1/LPA-1 combo, or even an LMC-1/IPS-1.

Is there a "smack you in the face/obvious as heck" sound difference when you move to separates like this? (especially coming from the xr-57)
BTW i'm about 75%HT/25% 2CH - and I like to listen at nice and healthy levels. i.e.-loud as sh*T
cbaseuser is online now  
post #1105 of 17223 Old 12-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
dakar80124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver Colo area
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am seriously looking at the LMC-1 and also wanted to possibly get the RPA-1 to run my main speakers. I go in there and the RPA-1 is out of stock and you can't even order it anymore. Arghh. The LMC-1 looks like a hot little Pre and I read that review on it. I'm looking to sell my receiver and go back to separates, mostly because I listen to a lot of 2 ch CD but also watch a lot of movies and want the 7.1 capability. The only thing it doesn't have is an auto room eq.
Also, the cool thing is if I get the LMC-1 now, they give 40% discount if you buy the LMC-2 in April when it comes out.
dakar80124 is offline  
post #1106 of 17223 Old 12-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Member
 
mutki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post

I have a panasonic xr57 receiver driving some ascend acoustics speakers for the fronts and center (the 170's for left/right and a 340se for the center), m&k 150 surrounds, and a SVS "trashcan" sub

My main question...I came from a Denon 3801 and tried the panasonic. I read numerous threads that said "oh, yeah--you'll hear a difference..the panasonic is much more clean and nuetral, yada yada yada...." Maybe it's true, but I couldn't hear a difference immediately, so i just told myself "it's better, i just don't know it yet", and made myself like it.

I want to make a move that I can TRUELY hear.....such as an LMC-1/LPA-1 combo, or even an LMC-1/IPS-1.

Is there a "smack you in the face/obvious as heck" sound difference when you move to separates like this? (especially coming from the xr-57)
BTW i'm about 75%HT/25% 2CH - and I like to listen at nice and healthy levels. i.e.-loud as sh*T

Oh, hell yeah. This combo will hands down beat ANY mass market receiver under $1000 in terms of SQ, headroom and dynamics in a "typical" HT setup. IN fact, I was using an ARCAM 300 before purchasing the combo. Well, long story short, I decided to sell the ARCAM - I kid you not. Of course, as always, YMMV.
mutki is offline  
post #1107 of 17223 Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
cbaseuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks-that's what i wanted to hear
cbaseuser is online now  
post #1108 of 17223 Old 12-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
ChicagoTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any 7 channel amp new or used in the sub $1000 category that can touch the IPS1?
ChicagoTC is offline  
post #1109 of 17223 Old 12-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Member
 
mrrame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a newbie when it comes to seperates. I emailed my questions to Emotiva but got no response. My receiver (Sony STR-1075) is 5 year old and still going strong. I recently got Rocket 850s and Swan 5.1Divas and ever since thinking about upgrade.

My living room is 15x25 approx and I listen to 60/40 ht/music and my budget is 1k max. Is it a good idea to upgrade my reciever to LMC1/LPA1 combo or should I spend my money on a receiver that takes HDMI,upconverts and has ethernet ports for the same price. I don't have a HD tv as of now, but thinking about getting one too.

What I am not sure is about the TRUE HD,DD+ sound formats and how LMC1 will handle those?

What to do I get Upgrading from my receiver to LMC1/LPA1. Are there any better seperates within 1k? Do I need a receiver to upconvert my signals, or a 1080p TV would upconvert it for me ?

one more, Are there any outstanding bugs on LMC1 ?

Thanks
Ramesh
mrrame is offline  
post #1110 of 17223 Old 12-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Member
 
coffeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post

I have a panasonic xr57 receiver driving some ascend acoustics speakers for the fronts and center (the 170's for left/right and a 340se for the center), m&k 150 surrounds, and a SVS "trashcan" sub

My main question...I came from a Denon 3801 and tried the panasonic. I read numerous threads that said "oh, yeah--you'll hear a difference..the panasonic is much more clean and nuetral, yada yada yada...." Maybe it's true, but I couldn't hear a difference immediately, so i just told myself "it's better, i just don't know it yet", and made myself like it.

I want to make a move that I can TRUELY hear.....such as an LMC-1/LPA-1 combo, or even an LMC-1/IPS-1.

Is there a "smack you in the face/obvious as heck" sound difference when you move to separates like this? (especially coming from the xr-57)
BTW i'm about 75%HT/25% 2CH - and I like to listen at nice and healthy levels. i.e.-loud as sh*T


Cb,

I got the IPS/MMC combo and it replaced my Denon AVR-787. I could tell an immediate difference. And it has to do with detail, clarity, soundstage and all that stuff. As I posted before, I don't know exactly what the reason for this is. It could just be the external amp properly driving my 85db inefficient speakers, it could be the higher quality DAC in the MMC. It's definitely a good combination and since it works, I'm keeping them both.
Plus, they look so sweet together; I think the LMC is an even better looking pre because of the clean faceplate. Although it's a lower model, it matches the IPS perfectly.

Louder volumes is where I hear the difference. Lower volumes I can't really tell but I think that may be normal or my hearing is not so good. But surround sound has never been so good, IMHO
coffeeman is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off