Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #91 of 17223 Old 03-03-2007, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
colleycol,

I'm interested to hear your impressions of the LPA-1. Which Maggies are you driving? What were you using before, room, type of listening, etc.? Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 17223 Old 03-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I am actually considering a pair of BPA-1 amps (the monoblocks) for my L/R mains in my 5.1 set up. Basically, my thinking is it will take a bit of strain off my Pioneer 1014 at near reference levels. Anyone else doing something simliar to this? Would this be even worth it?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #93 of 17223 Old 03-03-2007, 10:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I am actually considering a pair of BPA-1 amps (the monoblocks) for my L/R mains in my 5.1 set up. Basically, my thinking is it will take a bit of strain off my Pioneer 1014 at near reference levels. Anyone else doing something simliar to this? Would this be even worth it?

Gov ... You really want to make sure the front 3 speakers have the same power. FOr $121 additional, you could have the LPA-1 ... You might try running it, only using three channels for your LCR. The power supply of the unit is set up to run 5 x 125 plus 2 x 50 WPC ... you should see a pretty nice improvement, as it will be rather undertaxed in this configuration.
post #94 of 17223 Old 03-03-2007, 10:13 PM

I bought the LPA-1/LMC-1 about a month ago and I'm very happy with it. I have 4 ohm M&K's that have caused problems with my last receiver and it seems that they sound even better with my Emotiva setup. It also sounds much better than my old Yamaha reciever, I don't know if it's the 4 ohm load or what, because I know there's not supposed to be that much difference between amps. I can get some very loud volumes without any strain. Drum hits and special effects in movies really jump out.

After I set it up, which only took a few minutes, it's much easier to operate than my last reciever.
post #95 of 17223 Old 03-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Gov ... You really want to make sure the front 3 speakers have the same power. FOr $121 additional, you could have the LPA-1 ... You might try running it, only using three channels for your LCR. The power supply of the unit is set up to run 5 x 125 plus 2 x 50 WPC ... you should see a pretty nice improvement, as it will be rather undertaxed in this configuration.

I had the LPA-1 about a month ago and returned it, possibly prematurely? I have an all Ascend Acoustic 5 speaker set up. Since returning it, I upgraded my mains from the 170SE to 340SE. I can't help think that maybe the BPA-1 or LPA-1 might be able to drive the speakers better than the Pioneer 1014. Ascends are fairly easy to drive, so I don't know. When I had the LPA-1, I don't think I gave it that much of a chance.

So maybe the LPA-1 for L/C/R and the 1014 for the surrounds?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #96 of 17223 Old 03-04-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I had the LPA-1 about a month ago and returned it, possibly prematurely? I have an all Ascend Acoustic 5 speaker set up. Since returning it, I upgraded my mains from the 170SE to 340SE. I can't help think that maybe the BPA-1 or LPA-1 might be able to drive the speakers better than the Pioneer 1014. Ascends are fairly easy to drive, so I don't know. When I had the LPA-1, I don't think I gave it that much of a chance.

So maybe the LPA-1 for L/C/R and the 1014 for the surrounds?

Yes ... The LPA-1 for the L/C/R, and the receiver for the surrounds. The Ascends are a very easy load to drive, which my be a reason you are hesistant to upgrade - perhaps your 1014 is fine on its own ?

Of course, you could grab 3 of the BPA-1's ... excellent performance, and they LOOK cool. Maybe they would discount a tri-pac ...
post #97 of 17223 Old 03-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

I don't know, I am not convinced either way at the moment. Maybe try the amp again? Just stay with my receiver since I have no plans on changing speakers in the near future. It seems as if there is no definative answer. But, for $500 the LPA-1 is good piece of mind

post #98 of 17223 Old 03-04-2007, 08:32 AM

I have had a Pioneer 84 on order for over a month now and tomorow and I am seriously thinking about canceling my order and checking out the Emotiva LMC-1/LPA-1 combo. For the money it seems like an awesome deal. The review at Audioholics was very good. Any one have personal experience with this combo, any problems with the HDMI set-up, ect? I have never owned any seperates before and this system will be driving Aperion 622 fronts, 522's suround, 624 center, with an SVS powered sub, with Oppo DVD and LG LCD display. Thanks for any input.
post #99 of 17223 Old 03-04-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Craig, hope your back to 100%, miss ya over at Axiom.

Anyway, glad to see this thread is back on track, hope the trolls stay away so we can keep it to topic.

A few months ago I upgraded to all new Axioms including m80v2's and an ep600. I also ordered the Emotiva MPS-1 chassis with 2 epm-300 mono's for now to drive the 80's. Oh my gosh, I can't say enough positive words about these amps, they are killer. Build quality and performance is top notch. Emotiva held nothing back on the guts and design, a round of applause....clap clap clap. The biggest plus is that they design their own amps from the ground up and the people on the phones are the actual engineers and designers of their amps.

I plan to purchase a third epm300 soon for the center, followed by 2 of their epm-2150 two channel modules for the 4 Axiom Qs8's. Right now my Denon 2805 is driving those speakers until later in the year when Emotiva introduces their new line up of prepro's incorporating HDMI 1.3.

My Website
post #100 of 17223 Old 03-04-2007, 11:09 AM
LCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack View Post

Right now my Denon 2805 is driving those speakers until later in the year when Emotiva introduces their new line up of prepro's incorporating HDMI 1.3.

Has anyone verified the new pre/pro's will be out this year? The only thing holding me back from the LMC-1/LPA-1 is the 6th and 7th channels. If I ever add two back channels 50 Watts seems failry paltry. Am I mistaken? Most likely I would never add those two channels, but something is holding me back...

Where is the 40% off deal on Emotiva's website? Is it still valid?

Talk me into pulling the trigger or tell me something good about those 6th and 7th channels.

Thanks.
post #101 of 17223 Old 03-04-2007, 12:13 PM
EdS

Anyone have experience with using a BPA-1 to drive a pair of 8 ohm speakers, and also understand what the power rating would be for one BPA-1 to drive a pair of 8 ohm speakers? The specs say 150W bridged for an 8 ohm speaker, and 75W/channel (stereo) into 4 ohm speakers, my question is how much power is available for a pair of 8 ohm speakers. This could be a very economical solution for driving a second/third zone pair of speakers.

Thanks
post #102 of 17223 Old 03-04-2007, 02:39 PM

When I spoke to Lonnie last week he said the next generations will be out at the end of the year. I'm currently running a Pioneer 1016 with the LPA-1 and it sounds pretty nice. The amp sounds better than the Pioneer does but if your looking for that mind blowing difference it isn't going to happen. I was into car audio for 25+ years and my favorite amplifiers were Zapco and PPI, neither amplifier made a huge difference between RockFord, Hifonics, Lanzar, and the other good amps that were out there but Zapco and PPI always sounded a little tighter to me. I guess my point is, the LPA-1 amplifier is a very high quality amplifier that's pretty transparent (which is a good thing), but it seems alot of people are looking for huge differences between their AVR's amplifier and a stand alone amplifier and that's just not the case. If your receiver is of decent quality and it puts out 100-125 watts per channel you won't notice any difference until you start getting to a moderately high volume (where the headroom comes in, and the AVR's clipping begins). All in all I'm very happy with the product but I hate to see people order from Emotiva (or anybody else) with the attitude that they'll just give it a test run and return in on Emotiva's dime if their not totally blown away. I think everyone should be realistic with their expectations when they add or change amplifiers. Speakers: now that's a different story I'm sure I'll catch some heat from this but I feel it's the truth and some good advice

System:

Sony 60" XBR2
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer 1016
Emotiva LPA-1
Def Tech 7006's front
Def Tech 2002 center
Def Tech BP1.2X surrounds
Def Tech supercube III sub
post #103 of 17223 Old 03-04-2007, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The 40% deal is still on. You can find the PR at www.audioholics.com Emotiva hasn't put it on its web site yet.
post #104 of 17223 Old 03-04-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSiNTH View Post

I have been eyeing this amp as I am on a budget. I am like 90% HT / 10% xbx 360...just trying to decide if it is worth the upgrade. I would be using a Rotel avr as a prepro for now driving B&W 600 series speakers...

Did you ever get the Emotiva? If so how is it with the B&W's? I have a set of 605's and they are the same as the 604's except they have a 130 watt powered sub in each speaker. If ANYONE has the emotiva and B&W speakers PLEASE pm me (or post here) and let me know what you think. I will be 70% music 30% HT. I am thinking of getting the LMC-1 and LMA-1 OR the Outlaw 1070.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!

IF--if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their ass when they jump!!
post #105 of 17223 Old 03-04-2007, 03:43 PM
LCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mliebs8 View Post

All in all I'm very happy with the product but I hate to see people order from Emotiva (or anybody else) with the attitude that they'll just give it a test run and return in on Emotiva's dime if their not totally blown away.

This is precisely why I asked the question about the 6th and 7th channels. IS 50 Watts really sufficient?
post #106 of 17223 Old 03-04-2007, 04:33 PM

mliebs8 hit the nail on the head. the difference will be clear when you crank the volume. If you simply listen at moderate levels you won't hear much a difference.

and it's the speakers (in my opinion) that will really allow you to hear some differences.
post #107 of 17223 Old 03-04-2007, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrr View Post

colleycol,

I'm interested to hear your impressions of the LPA-1. Which Maggies are you driving? What were you using before, room, type of listening, etc.? Thanks for your input!

I am right now running a MMG, MMGC, MMGW home theater setup. I am using a Denon 2307CI as the pre pro.

I am coming from some old Technic speakers with a Sherwood receiver so take my opinion for what is worth. I hooked the MGs to the Denon at first to see what the difference would be. To me night and day as far as clarity and oomph (is that a word?). I was listening to John Mayer "gravity" and I was sitting with my eyes closed like WOW.

I listen to mostly R&B, jazz. I am in a small 12 x 12 listening environment with an open wall.

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
post #108 of 17223 Old 03-05-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #109 of 17223 Old 03-05-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike45 View Post

I have had a Pioneer 84 on order for over a month now and tomorow and I am seriously thinking about canceling my order and checking out the Emotiva LMC-1/LPA-1 combo. For the money it seems like an awesome deal. The review at Audioholics was very good. Any one have personal experience with this combo, any problems with the HDMI set-up, ect? I have never owned any seperates before and this system will be driving Aperion 622 fronts, 522's suround, 624 center, with an SVS powered sub, with Oppo DVD and LG LCD display. Thanks for any input.

I was somewhat in the same boat. I was considering the Denon 987/2807 until I recently read the review on the LMC/LPA combo. My big hesitation though is everything I may be missing out on if I go to the Emotiva setup. Passthrough, upconversion (maybe?), and something else I'm sure I'm forgetting the Denon has that the Emotiva doesn't. Anyone have a comparison of the Emotiva vs a similar unit?
post #110 of 17223 Old 03-05-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soransis View Post

I was somewhat in the same boat. I was considering the Denon 987/2807 until I recently read the review on the LMC/LPA combo. My big hesitation though is everything I may be missing out on if I go to the Emotiva setup. Passthrough, upconversion (maybe?), and something else I'm sure I'm forgetting the Denon has that the Emotiva doesn't. Anyone have a comparison of the Emotiva vs a similar unit?

Although some of that may be true, try looking at it another way. What I mean is, you'd only have to live with what you'd be lacking for about 9-10 months. By being an original owner of one of Emotiva processors, you'll be able to get 40% off their new processor that will be out 12/07-01/08; Which from what Lonnie has told me, is going to be one really awesome processor.

Just some food for thought. Trying to help anyways.

Sutter
post #111 of 17223 Old 03-05-2007, 08:32 AM

Does anyone have any experience with the Emotiva HDMI addon ?? Is it reliable? Will it pass PCM audio signal?
post #112 of 17223 Old 03-05-2007, 09:02 AM

Petrucci,

As I understand it, the 2 port HDMI extender currently supports video only. The 1.3 spec products coming out later this year are intended to provide the full complement of HDMI signal source abilities.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong of course

My LPA / LMC arrive on Wednesday, I'm looking forward to it. I also have the Pio 1016 setup and will do a side by side.

I listen to my HT turned UP... it's a far more immersive experience that way and I expect to see a difference between the two based on everything I've read as well as my own audio experience.

We'll see

michael
post #113 of 17223 Old 03-05-2007, 09:14 AM

Michael,

I am also excited to see how you like that setup. I am considering that same upgrade as soon as I get all of the audio issues cleared up. No HDMI audio is not neccessarily a deal breaker but it does mean that I will have to fork out the extra bucks for a high Def player with analog outs. The other concern I have is the statement that the LPA will support Dolby Pro-Logic IIx but only in analog mode !?!? Anybody know what that means ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTS View Post

Petrucci,

As I understand it, the 2 port HDMI extender currently supports video only. The 1.3 spec products coming out later this year are intended to provide the full complement of HDMI signal source abilities.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong of course

My LPA / LMC arrive on Wednesday, I'm looking forward to it. I also have the Pio 1016 setup and will do a side by side.

I listen to my HT turned UP... it's a far more immersive experience that way and I expect to see a difference between the two based on everything I've read as well as my own audio experience.

We'll see

michael

post #114 of 17223 Old 03-05-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Cane View Post

Although some of that may be true, try looking at it another way. What I mean is, you'd only have to live with what you'd be lacking for about 9-10 months. By being an original owner of one of Emotiva processors, you'll be able to get 40% off their new processor that will be out 12/07-01/08; Which from what Lonnie has told me, is going to be one really awesome processor.

Just some food for thought. Trying to help anyways.

I was also concerned about the lack of features on the LMC-1, but consider this:

The LMC-1 is $500. The new AV processor that will come out at the end of the year has a target price of $1500. You purchase the LMC-1 and get 40% off the new one, so about $900. You are saving more then the price of the LMC-1. So for $1400 you can get the new processor (I also talked to Lonnie and it sounds like it will be packed with features). For someone who is looking to buy something now this is a great deal. It's like pre-buying the new processor now (without having to fork over the cash now) at a discount and as a bonus you get the LMC-1 for free. And this doesn't even consider the discount if you get a combi amp/processor deal.

I'm actually going to buy the IPS-1 amp with the LMC-1 processor and run component video to my projector for now. In a year I wil upgrade to the new processor and to some sort of High Def (HDVD or Blu-Ray depending on how that turns out). One thing I really like about the LMC-1 is it has a small built-in 2 channel amp (25W/channel) which means I can get some small speakers and keep using it somewhere in the house without having to buy another amp as well!

The only drawbacks to all this is assuming that the new pre/pro is going to be a good one and from their track record I think this is a safe bet, and that their target price will be met.

In my eyes, this is a far better solution then purchasing one of the AVR's I was looking at (Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS, or Denon 2807) which have problems (LFE, no audio over HDMI) that may not be corrected until the next generation of AVRs. Then you are stuck having to upgrade by paying full price.
post #115 of 17223 Old 03-05-2007, 11:41 AM

I seriously looked at the LMC-1, read through its manual (posted online at emotiva.com), and read through many of recent threads on it posted at **********. What I gathered is that the sound quality is great for the price (based on other's opinions, I haven't actually heard the unit). However, it does have some quirks in how it functions, and it lacks some of the features seen in current receivers that cost around $500. The main drawback for me is that it doesn't have audio lip sync delay. I'd recommend doing some research before jumping in, unless your only intent is to get in on the 40% off deal and "flip" the LMC-1 on the secondary market. The Audioholics review is was a little too gushing and didn't mention some of the issues with the LMC-1.

Also, if you're planning on getting in on the new unofficially announced Emotiva pre/pro by the end of this year, I'd be prepared for possible significant delays and make contingency plans if you "have to have" HDMI 1.3 within the next 12-18 months. Emotiva has had some problems meeting their announced ship dates recently. The products that are announced on Emotiva's website as being available by 2/15 originally were supposed to ship last fall. They repeatedly have been pushed back, and as far as I know, they STILL haven't shipped yet. A couple of the products (the MMC-1 and IPS-1) are scaled-down derivatives of products that they've been shipping for over a year now, so I wouldn't have anticipated this much delay in bringing them to market. The new pre/pro is going to be new territory for Emotiva, so I'd be prepared for some significant delays.

Far from being an Emotiva basher, I'm actually planning to buy their products (MMC-1 and LPA-1) when my media room is finished in a couple of months. From everything I've read, they sell very solid products at great prices. However, if I was wanting to buy their products months ago and still waiting for it now, I'd be a little annoyed.
post #116 of 17223 Old 03-05-2007, 12:32 PM

I would agree w/ you to a point Dennis and you do make some valid arguments. However, bringing new technologies to market in a quality piece of equipment is a challenge as you have seen (LFE, HDMI, etc.. anyone? )

I think that for the quality of products, Emotiva has an excellent track record for schedules. The only issue I see is that they are aggressive in their communications instead of reserved like some other higher end vendors (NAD, McIntosh, Adcom, etc). Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, etc... all are in the rat race itself. They have to meet different market demands and schedules.

I think that Emotiva's biggest challenge must lie in testing their products to their standards. Quirks they do have, but bugs are few and far between. Their products have one of the strongest warranties in the industry and thusly require much stronger testing than competitive products. However, in so doing they earn a competitive advantage and a rather loyal following.

All vendors in this space must evaluate - price point, quality, bleeding edge technologies... pick two. Emotiva picked price and quality... for that I can wait a few extra months

michael
post #117 of 17223 Old 03-05-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTS View Post

I would agree w/ you to a point Dennis and you do make some valid arguments. However, bringing new technologies to market in a quality piece of equipment is a challenge as you have seen (LFE, HDMI, etc.. anyone? )

I think that for the quality of products, Emotiva has an excellent track record for schedules. The only issue I see is that they are aggressive in their communications instead of reserved like some other higher end vendors (NAD, McIntosh, Adcom, etc). Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, etc... all are in the rat race itself. They have to meet different market demands and schedules.

I think that Emotiva's biggest challenge must lie in testing their products to their standards. Quirks they do have, but bugs are few and far between. Their products have one of the strongest warranties in the industry and thusly require much stronger testing than competitive products. However, in so doing they earn a competitive advantage and a rather loyal following.

All vendors in this space must evaluate - price point, quality, bleeding edge technologies... pick two. Emotiva picked price and quality... for that I can wait a few extra months

michael

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't really question the quality of Emotiva's products. The overwhelming consensus is that they make quality products at great prices. As a result, their products are among the best-bang-for-your-buck. I realize that quality products take time to bring to market, and I would have had NO PROBLEM if Emotiva had said that they wouldn't be able to bring their newest products to the market until March 2007. What bothers me is that they were posting specific shipping dates starting last fall, and repeatedly pushing them back. If I was looking to buy a pre/pro back then and kept being told "just a few more weeks", so I kept delaying my purchase, and 4 months later, the product still hasn't shipped, I'd be a little pissed. If I had known in advance that it'd be several months' delay, I might've looked for something else in the meantime.

I made my earlier comments because I'm skeptical that Emotiva will be able to deliver a "next-generation" pre/pro that's being discussed in the 9-12 month timeframe that's being tossed around. It doesn't really matter to me, since I'm not planning to upgrade in that timeframe (plan to buy in the next couple of months, then again in a couple of years). However, others may be putting off buying some of the HDMI 1.3 receivers that are coming out this fall in order to wait for the new Emotiva pre/pro and take advantage of the 40% off offer. These people may get a rather pissed if the delay starts adding up ...

I'm also skeptical of the $1500 price tag that's being tossed around, especially with 40% off stacked on top of it. How is Emotiva going to recoup the development costs, much less make a profit, at that price?
post #118 of 17223 Old 03-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Dennis, those are good points. It certainly is a gamble I think and a good idea to think long and hard about it. For me, I'm ok with taking my time to upgrade so my bank account can recover from my new HT, so even a year and a half now would be good for me. And I need something now as I currently have nothing, but nothing else on the market seems mature enough for some of the emerging technologies. So an interregnum solution is a good one for me and others in the same boat.

As far as the $1500 price tag goes, it does seem pretty low. Only time will tell if they can meet that price point with a rich feature set.
post #119 of 17223 Old 03-06-2007, 08:46 AM

Agreed Dennis. Both on the expectations (if specific dates are set, then it does aggrevate the customer base (whether install base or prospects) as most get emotional about their expected purchase (kids @ christmas )

The $1500 price point though... I don't see why it can't be done. The real trick is that Emotiva's warranty and quality must be met @ that price and that requires the higher quality caps and components... Whether they can sell the new Pre @ $900 to the installed base and make a profit? They have a lean sales model which is generally 10-20% of the go to market costs of competitive vendors (any on the shelf @ BB for instance).

I don't know, I bet it can be done. Of course, if they achieve it w/ the feature set expected it will be THE hottest pre out there for the price in a year, year 1/2.

I'll be getting one at that point Which is why I went w/ the LMC at this point rather than the higher end units. $400 preamp for a $600 discount on the unit I really want... can't go wrong w/ that

I'd rather that it takes an extra 6 months if the product that ships isn't plagued by all of these issues others are experiencing with HDMI 1.2a

Cheers,
michael
post #120 of 17223 Old 03-06-2007, 09:52 AM

Hi,i have a couple of question (this is not my first language so sorry
for spelling)

I like what i read about the LPA-1 and mps1 whit 3 amp in it i live
in canada is there anybody from canada that order from them.

If so if you could tell what you payed for it whit brokage
shipping + tax you can pm me thank for any help
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page