post #14042 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

A lot of hate here.

Not hate skepticism. UMC-1 was going to be the best thing since sliced bread too when it was announced in 2007. Was supposed to be out at the end of 07, beginning of 08 debuted in what 2010? Had more bugs in it than a bed in a fleabag motel. So people on AVS and other forums have taken a step back when it comes to their announcements (especially when they send their forum fanbois like SS out) that the XMC is going to be released on x date and be the next best thing since electricity and that it saves babies from choking too!
post #14043 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

blind faith ?

Faith no more?
post #14044 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Liked: 10
What do you gurus think of the TPA-6130 headphone amp? Seems pretty good. Will it drive planar headphones?
post #14045 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

VERY

I will get the unit for $900 bucks and I should be able to liquidate the UMC-1 for three hundred. That makes it $600 bucks. At that price I'll purchase for sure from the very first batch that ships.

Is this gov't math here? What about what you paid for it?

Quote:

Hey I'm also gunna buy Dennis and Dave's speakers unheard.

Is this also simply an irrational leap of faith?

No one in your local area who might be willing to let you listen? I don't know if it's irrational but it's kind of like a blind date.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #14046 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
For the past two weeks my Onkyo/Emotiva system would only buzz loudly through the center's tweeter. I knew the center jack on my UPA-5 was loose so I substituted a UPA-2 for the UPA-5 for the center tweeter (I actively crossover) and the problem is gone. All due to a loose RCA jack, it just hangs there. What a relief! I really think Emotiva should invest a few cents in better/more robust RCA jacks.
It took two weeks to fix it because I needed to pay someone to help move the shelving unit.
post #14047 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

but it's kind of like a blind date.

Stevie Wonder driving Miss Daisey ??

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #14048 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

VERY

I will get the unit for $900 bucks and I should be able to liquidate the UMC-1 for three hundred. That makes it $600 bucks. At that price I'll purchase for sure from the very first batch that ships.

Hey I'm also gunna buy Dennis and Dave's speakers unheard.

Is this also simply an irrational leap of faith?

Different kettle of fish don't you think? Dennis's designs have been tested and proven in the past and his track record has shown that he can definitely bring the goods. Buying blind in this case would be like someone saying "I'm definitely getting the new BMW M3 when it comes out".

Much as I'm a fan of Emotiva's amps (my LCR is powered by a trio of XPA-1's), they have a less than stellar record with their buggy pre-pros. Deciding to buy their next design sight unseen would be equivalent to buying a new, upcoming car from the manufacturer whose last cars burst into balls of flame when hit from behind in a 10mph fender-bender.

Max
post #14049 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:

A lot of hate here.

Not hate, just well-founded doubt. I think nobody needs a reminder how well founded it is. But if you do, then just read through the "The definitive UMC-1 status page from Big Dan" thread.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #14050 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 2086
Quote:

A lot of hate here.

Not from me. I love Emotiva stuff. I have 7 of their speakers and 4 of their amps and I love 'em. But it doesn't blind me to the disaster that was the UMC-1. Nor to the ludicrous fanboyism over in the Lounge.
post #14051 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Not from me. I love Emotiva stuff. I have 7 of their speakers and 4 of their amps and I love 'em. But it doesn't blind me to the disaster that was the UMC-1. Nor to the ludicrous fanboyism over in the Lounge.

I have three of their amps (and a UMC-1 going unused). I certainly would wait to buy the XMC-1 until someone who is not a fanboy has one and can compare it to other pre-pros.
post #14052 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I have three of their amps (and a UMC-1 going unused). I certainly would wait to buy the XMC-1 until someone who is not a fanboy has one and can compare it to other pre-pros.

Same here. I'd like to see someone like Kal do an independent review of it before I jumped. It's not like it is especially cheap at $1,500 - you can get good Denon and Onkyo AVRs for that and use them as preamps. And you'd also get Audyssey, and possibly DSX height/wide, PLIIz, 9.2 instead of 7.2, more HDMI outputs, more HDMI inputs and so on.

I hope the XMC is amazing, I really do. But I wouldn't bet $1,500 blind on it being so. And I really, really, really hope it has a setting to turn all those damn blue lights off!
post #14053 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I have 2 of Emo's amps as well, Love Them !

Don't mean I'm gonna blindly buy a processor from a MFG'er that has a history of making buggy processors .That they refuse to stand behind fully in terms of fixing what's wrong with them .
Plus the fact ,the latest ,best tech in not going to be featured in said processor .

Mike

post #14054 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have 2 of Emo's amps as well, Love Them !

Don't mean I'm gonna blindly buy a processor from a MFG'er that has a history of making buggy processors .That they refuse to stand behind fully in terms of fixing what's wrong with them .
Plus the fact ,the latest ,best tech in not going to be featured in said processor .

Yep. Plus who knows what the competition will have by the time the XMC is actually available to buy. I've no axe to grind - I am very happy with my Onkyo 5509 and have no intention of changing it for a long time but it just seems crazy to me that people are *actually wanting to order* XMCs blind, given the UMC problems.
post #14055 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
"Early adaptors" usually just buy by the specs and the fear of missing something really important, whatever that is at that particular moment
post #14056 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can understand somewhat what people mean about the UMC-1 debacle, but to crusade, which is what some seem to be doing, against it is just odd.

But I did value everyone's input, and I think I have moved on from the UMC-1 at this moment.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #14057 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

I can understand somewhat what people mean about the UMC-1 debacle, but to crusade, which is what some seem to be doing, against it is just odd.

But I did value everyone's input, and I think I have moved on from the UMC-1 at this moment.

Crusade is correct. Especially when one has never owned th UMC. Some brooks never cease to babble.
post #14058 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Crusade is correct. Especially when one has never owned th UMC. Some brooks never cease to babble.

And some fanbois never cease to cheerlead for faulty products and vaporware
post #14059 of 17223 Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

"Early adaptors" usually just buy by the specs and the fear of missing something really important, whatever that is at that particular moment

I love "Early Adopters " they are my personal "Test Bunnies "

Mike

post #14060 of 17223 Old 01-31-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

".....I love Emotiva stuff.....I love 'em"

Sounds to me like kbarnes is one of those fan-boys.
post #14061 of 17223 Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:

Theresa posted this among her 2600+ posts over at the Emotiva fourm "I want to remain a fan of Emotiva for their amps and surround speakers." Does that make her a fan-girl? Should we ignore her comments about Emo amps and surround speakers?

I belong to a number of forums under different names. I respect the right of all posters to voice their opinions. I guess the only thing that rubs me the wrong way is the "fan-boy" name calling. That is especially ironic and humorous at those who are forum members at dedicated forums like the Saloon (Outlaw Audio), Polk, Emotiva, etc.). It seems reasonable to expect to see owners and fans of their products at those forums who are enthusiastic. I find it especially interesting to find people who go back and forth between this forum the brand name forums and bash the fan-boys.
post #14062 of 17223 Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:

Not surprising, some Emotiva fans are the most gullible there are. I say wait and see and hope that Emo finally gets its act together.

Gullible, that's interesting! I hear that theresa was a buyer of the UMC-1?
post #14063 of 17223 Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Calling a lemon a lemon isn't a crusade. Not calling a lemon a lemon is odd.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #14064 of 17223 Old 01-31-2012, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Who are you talking about? I owned a UMC-1 and I would never recommend it to anybody.

Markus

post #14065 of 17223 Old 01-31-2012, 03:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 492
[quote=RoadRunner6;21574405]
Quote:

I belong to a number of forums under different names.

Any particular reason that you use different names?

Quote:

I respect the right of all posters to voice their opinions.

I do as well as do many others here on AVS. Sometimes I see specific members not adhering to that principle over at the Emotiva Lounge.

Quote:

I guess the only thing that rubs me the wrong way is the "fan-boy" name calling. That is especially ironic and humorous at those who are forum members at dedicated forums like the Saloon (Outlaw Audio), Polk, Emotiva, etc.).

I belong to several different forums with a few being manfacturers forums. I believe the "fan boy" term is not a form of name calling unless one is over sensitive. I determine a "fan boy" to be a person that continues to gush about a product or company even when there has been issues with it/them. Or if they are raving about a product that hasn't been released yet and has no real idea how it will sound or how dependable it will be.

I consider myself a "fan" of Oppo, Ascend, Onkyo and Salk products. I'm certainly not a "fan boy" of Onkyo the company because of their lackluster service or the dependability of their products at times. So if Oppo all the sudden had issues with some of their products, did not beta test their products properly as they normally do or promise release dates for specific products that never quite work out then I would be letting Oppo know my displeasure.

Quote:

It seems reasonable to expect to see owners and fans of their products at those forums who are enthusiastic. I find it especially interesting to find people who go back and forth between this forum the brand name forums and bash the fan-boys.

You said earlier that "I respect the right of all posters to voice their opinions". If that is true why do you have a problem with people voicing their opinions about "fan boys" on specific forums? I haven't seen you post over here in a long time. So I find it interesting that you just dropped in here to bash Theresa because she voices her opinion. Ironic isn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner6 View Post

Here is a perfect example of that bashing. I would say being an owner of the UMC-1 as Theresa is gives here every right to voice her opinion.

Quote:

Theresa posted this among her 2600+ posts over at the Emotiva fourm "I want to remain a fan of Emotiva for their amps and surround speakers." Does that make her a fan-girl? Should we ignore her comments about Emo amps and surround speakers?

What does it matter how many posts Theresa has over at the Lounge? If she wants to remain a fan of Emotiva amps and speakers doesn't mean she is a "fan girl". Why should "we" (that being you) ignore her comments about anything regarding Emotiva products? Remember you said "I respect the right of all posters to voice their opinions".

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #14066 of 17223 Old 01-31-2012, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Roadrunner,
1) difference between a fan and a fanboy: a fan likes something, a fanboy likes something so much that they demonstrate blind devotion in the face of glaring inadequacies. Someone who likes Honda Civics because they're reliable and get good gas mileage = fan. Someone who believes a Honda Civic with a fart can muffler and park bench spoiler is the be-all-end-all of performance automotives = fanboy.

2) Yes, Theresa bought a UMC-1. Buying a pre-pro blind from a company that has a track record of producing other items of quality like amps and speakers = brand loyalty and faith in the company that they will make the pre-pro with the same care and quality. Buying a pre-pro from a company that has a proven track record of producing several other items of quality EXCEPT pre-pros = fanboy gullibility and blind faith that THIS time, things will be different despite past evidence of the company repeatedly being unable to produce/deliver a satisfactory example of a pre-pro.

Could Emotiva have a killer product right off the bat with this new design? Absolutely. It's always possible. Would anyone blind buy it based on Emotiva's previous examples and all the claims and promises about the previous unit that went unfulfilled? Only if you have blind faith and loyalty to the brand. At $1500, this is no longer a bargain. This is entering the big-boys arena. There are many other options available in that price range. Too many to find an overly buggy unit acceptable.

Do other manufacturers get it right all the time? No, but if they screwed up something as basic as bass management, you can bet there would be lots of dissatisfied customers.

Max
post #14067 of 17223 Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I love "Early Adopters " they are my personal "Test Bunnies "

Haha, mine too. A dedicated army of fearless dudes willing to trash their systems with brand new Firmware so that the rest of us can sleep peacefully at night. I salute you!
post #14068 of 17223 Old 01-31-2012, 03:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

".....I love Emotiva stuff.....I love 'em"

Sounds to me like kbarnes is one of those fan-boys.

Not at all. I love their amps and their Reference series speakers. I really do. But unlike the fanboy, I can also see when they have made a serious mess of something - as with the UMC-1. I also think their decision to drop the UPA-2 and replace it with that silly little toy amp is pretty dumb too. Now they don't have a really good two channel amp (in their more affordable range than the XPA-2) to go with their preamp and DAC. And I'm not massively keen on their X-ref speaker range either. I do really like their customer service which, for me at least, has been faultless. And of course I love their prices. So all in all, a mixed bag for me. I am happy to jump in with huge praise where I think they are good, but that doesn’t stop me seeing where they are less good. I wouldn't touch a UMC-1 if it was free, for example. But you'd have to prise my XPA-3 and 3 UPA-2s out of my cold, dead hands.
post #14069 of 17223 Old 01-31-2012, 03:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, but she has learned from bitter experience. Experience is a great teacher, but the lessons are very expensive.
post #14070 of 17223 Old 01-31-2012, 04:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

What does it matter how many posts Theresa has over at the Lounge? If she wants to remain a fan of Emotiva amps and speakers doesn't mean she is a "fan girl". Why should "we" (that being you) ignore her comments about anything regarding Emotiva products? Remember you said "I respect the right of all posters to voice their opinions".

Bill

+1 to your entire post there, Bill. I'm a fan too. But not a fanboy.

It's a pity that this otherwise useful and helpful thread gets hijacked all the time like this when the true fanboys get wind of the fact that someone here has called their beloved UMC-1 a lemon (thanks Markus - you are 100% right with your comment there) and then they descend like manic hordes from the Lounge to defend the indefensible. Fortunately, as soon as the thread comes back on topic with some TECHNICAL TALK ONLY, they disappear again (like tears in the rain).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page