EMOTIVA Thread Q&A [TECHNICAL TALK ONLY] - Page 52 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1531 of 17246 Old 07-23-2008, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hi - i just found out not long about about emotiva -

its a bit late for me since i got a AVR already - but have been reading up on there amps and sound great -

does anyone own the new Extreme models ? 2 , 3 or 5 channel amps -

i am thinking about a future upgrade - adding a amp to my AVR and using it for the fronts - from reading the specs between the 2, 3 and 5 channel models - the only thing i really notice is that the 2 channel model has a higher - Secondary capacitance: 120,000uF compared to 60,000uF on the 3 and 5 channel models -

would anyone know if that would make a huge difference - - power wise the 3 channel gives out the same watts if using 2 channel for music as the 2 channel model - but i can use the 3 channel for the Center when watching movies - i am concerned a little about the Center -

lets say i add the 2 channel model to my AVR - then when watching movies - i am worried that the Center may not blend in with the fronts if i use them with the emotiva amp - and the center would be powered by the AVR which is the 7002 marantz -

i like to get the best for music - 2 channel - but dont want to feel cheated when watching movies either -

if i were to get the 3 channel version - would the rear surrounds still keep up also ? or would the 5 channel be better off - - i noticed it gives out 275 watts with 2 channels - and 200 with all 5 - but i also noticed it has

Secondary capacitance: 60,000uF -- which is half the size of the 2 channel model -- but price is very close -

does anyone know how big a difference that secondary capacitance is in real world listening ?

i dont want to make the wrong choice - and i dont have room for two amps etc. - not if they are 70 pounds each - my glass stand would crack - it can hold 90 pounds i think so one amp will work - but not two - i am not looking to purchase now - but like to learn more about them and emotiva - if i found emotiva before i got my AVR - i may have went with emotiva - since i do like power and separates - but also emotiva didnt have the processor at the time with the latest etc. - anyway - i didnt find them till after so dosnt matter now -

one more question - about the 5 channel model - would i be able to connect 4 channels together to make 2 channels and use that for the fronts and the 5th channel for the Center ? leave the rears with the AVR ?

any input and information would be helpful

thanks -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 17246 Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 PM

Liked: 10
just ordered my xpa-2 & 3 yesterday---great prices, just wondering if anyone could help me with a 2 channel pre-amp w/ht bypass. at this time the new emotiva pre-amp(rsp-2) does not have the bypass feature----thanks eric
post #1533 of 17246 Old 07-23-2008, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

hi - i just found out not long about about emotiva -

its a bit late for me since i got a AVR already - but have been reading up on there amps and sound great -

does anyone own the new Extreme models ? 2 , 3 or 5 channel amps -

i am thinking about a future upgrade - adding a amp to my AVR and using it for the fronts - from reading the specs between the 2, 3 and 5 channel models - the only thing i really notice is that the 2 channel model has a higher - Secondary capacitance: 120,000uF compared to 60,000uF on the 3 and 5 channel models -

would anyone know if that would make a huge difference - - power wise the 3 channel gives out the same watts if using 2 channel for music as the 2 channel model - but i can use the 3 channel for the Center when watching movies - i am concerned a little about the Center -

lets say i add the 2 channel model to my AVR - then when watching movies - i am worried that the Center may not blend in with the fronts if i use them with the emotiva amp - and the center would be powered by the AVR which is the 7002 marantz -

i like to get the best for music - 2 channel - but dont want to feel cheated when watching movies either -

if i were to get the 3 channel version - would the rear surrounds still keep up also ? or would the 5 channel be better off - - i noticed it gives out 275 watts with 2 channels - and 200 with all 5 - but i also noticed it has

Secondary capacitance: 60,000uF -- which is half the size of the 2 channel model -- but price is very close -

does anyone know how big a difference that secondary capacitance is in real world listening ?

i dont want to make the wrong choice - and i dont have room for two amps etc. - not if they are 70 pounds each - my glass stand would crack - it can hold 90 pounds i think so one amp will work - but not two - i am not looking to purchase now - but like to learn more about them and emotiva - if i found emotiva before i got my AVR - i may have went with emotiva - since i do like power and separates - but also emotiva didnt have the processor at the time with the latest etc. - anyway - i didnt find them till after so dosnt matter now -

one more question - about the 5 channel model - would i be able to connect 4 channels together to make 2 channels and use that for the fronts and the 5th channel for the Center ? leave the rears with the AVR ?

any input and information would be helpful

thanks -

You just couldn't resist could you!!! haha. As you know i own the XPA-3. Its just a straight up work horse.... This thing has more power than i could have imagined.... For music, it gives me that extra oomph i need, not just the lows, but midbass as well. This is a spectacular amp. I also have an RPA-1 (the reference 2-channel amp). The XPA-3 sounds much better for HT use IMO. But the RPA-1 has the clarity and finesse that the XPA-3 just cant give. The differences are between the class H amp design and the class AB design.

If im not mistaken you have RF-82's correct? If so the XPA-2 might be a little overkill, but hey who cares, cause that thing has balls. You would probably have to compensate the center channel by boosting up its db's a few notches. If your worried about that then the XPA-3 would be pretty seamless for you, especially if you care more about HT.

If you want huge power to everything then the XPA-5 would work great. You could also bi-amp with this one as well. No matter what you would go with its going to be a great choice
post #1534 of 17246 Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Just got the XPA-2.
Am using it with an Onkyo Pro 885 and a pair of Cerwin Vega DX9s.
Finally my monster Cerwin Vegas have the power they need (rated 400w @ 4 ohms).

WOW!!
Sweet clear sound, a huge improvement in my 2 channel setup.

Can recommend whole heartedly to anyone wanting a great 2 ch. amp.
At 800 bucks, an absolute steal.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
post #1535 of 17246 Old 07-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone got that monster MPS-2 on order? I can't decide between it and the NAD M25. Emotiva seems like the leader as far as cost/performance goes, but people in other threads (audiophile/snobs?) seem to lean toward the NAD M25 as having an overall higher quality. I do like the modular nature of the MPS-2 though.

Anyone with experience with both NAD M25 and Emotiva amps care to chime in?

If that MPS-2 was only in stock I would've already pulled the trigger, but I don't want to wait out a preorder while months go by waiting for their container to come in from Chee-town.
post #1536 of 17246 Old 07-24-2008, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory View Post

Anyone got that monster MPS-2 on order? I can't decide between it and the NAD M25. Emotiva seems like the leader as far as cost/performance goes, but people in other threads (audiophile/snobs?) seem to lean toward the NAD M25 as having an overall higher quality. I do like the modular nature of the MPS-2 though.

Anyone with experience with both NAD M25 and Emotiva amps care to chime in?

If that MPS-2 was only in stock I would've already pulled the trigger, but I don't want to wait out a preorder while months go by waiting for their container to come in from Chee-town.

Those that claim the NAD is higher quality are just kidding themselves, and dont want to admit that something can be cheaper and the same or better...

If anything i gurantee either the MPS-1 is built with similar quality, if not BETTER. That MPS is a beast of an amp, individual power modules...oooooh baby!!! The MPS has higher power output, a waaay sexier design, balanced inputs, and is WAAAAY cheaper.... I have heard every amp Emo has to offer and that MPS-2 is amazing
post #1537 of 17246 Old 07-24-2008, 04:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 755
What is the definition of quality you're using?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #1538 of 17246 Old 07-24-2008, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the XPA2 and XPA5 and really like the setup. The power rating on the XPA2 is under stated. I spoke to Lonnie at Emotiva and he told me they understated the power rating on the XPA2. I also have them paired with a Onkyo 885.

Thomas DiCecco
post #1539 of 17246 Old 07-24-2008, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The MPS has higher power output, a waaay sexier design, balanced inputs, and is WAAAAY cheaper.... I have heard every amp Emo has to offer and that MPS-2 is amazing

And when you compared the sound of a NAD Masters amp to Emotiva...?
post #1540 of 17246 Old 07-24-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

You just couldn't resist could you!!! haha. As you know i own the XPA-3. Its just a straight up work horse.... This thing has more power than i could have imagined.... For music, it gives me that extra oomph i need, not just the lows, but midbass as well. This is a spectacular amp. I also have an RPA-1 (the reference 2-channel amp). The XPA-3 sounds much better for HT use IMO. But the RPA-1 has the clarity and finesse that the XPA-3 just cant give. The differences are between the class H amp design and the class AB design.

If im not mistaken you have RF-82's correct? If so the XPA-2 might be a little overkill, but hey who cares, cause that thing has balls. You would probably have to compensate the center channel by boosting up its db's a few notches. If your worried about that then the XPA-3 would be pretty seamless for you, especially if you care more about HT.

If you want huge power to everything then the XPA-5 would work great. You could also bi-amp with this one as well. No matter what you would go with its going to be a great choice

hey - thanks for you input - and when i am ready to upgrade - i want overkill - better to have more than less - just dont raise the volume more than half way and i should be fine

i really cant decide to be honest - for the price of the 2 channel - you can get the 5 channel - which would cover the whole 5.1 setup - and when using for 2 channel music - its rated for 275 watt - not bad - maybe i am getting ahead of myself here - seems like you can never get enough -- i believe the new Xtreme amps are Class A/B which should sound nicer and cleaner than Class H -

i noticed it when i switched to my AVR - 7002 - i was using a 200 wpc Class H amp before and it was loud - but once i went to the 7002 - i noticed it was much cleaner and louder - more detail - havnt heard any distortion yet even at high volumes - 0 db - i dont think my old Class H amp was as clean as this 7002 -

i still have it laying around in my closet - seems like once you get started with upgrading etc. - you always want to change something - and i dont have the room to just add amps unless i get rid of something - i am thinking i should just lay low for a while and enjoy what i have before upgrading - thanks for you input - the more i hear how good they are - the more i want to add it into my system

would you know if i would get the 5 channel amp - how would i use 4 channels together to make a 2 channel setup for the fronts only ? and the last channel for the Center - how much power would that give ?

has anyone done this -
post #1541 of 17246 Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty View Post

And when you compared the sound of a NAD Masters amp to Emotiva...?

hmmm funny i never said it "sounded better"... way to jump to conclusions. I just said it was waaaay cheaper had more output and was a sexier design...thanks for playing
post #1542 of 17246 Old 07-24-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

hmmm funny i never said it "sounded better"... way to jump to conclusions. I just said it was waaaay cheaper had more output and was a sexier design...thanks for playing

Isn't the sound quality the most important aspect of buying an amp?
post #1543 of 17246 Old 07-24-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocab View Post

Only if you close your eyes when listening to music.

If you listen with eyes open, the sexy appearance of the amp becomes significantly more important.
post #1544 of 17246 Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

of course it is, when did i say it was not??? I was just trying to prove my point that i actually never said the Emotiva sounded better than the NAD, in fact they probably more or less would be equal in SQ, HENCE why i brought up the other points...
post #1545 of 17246 Old 07-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory View Post

Odditory, What wait are you talking about??? according to the fine folks at Emotiva, pre-orders for the MPS-2 will be shipping out to their new owners tomorrow.
post #1546 of 17246 Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I have the MPS-2 on order and can't wait. I have been using the LPA-1 to hold me over until it came back in stock.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Datasat combo using Auro-3D:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1426295399824
post #1547 of 17246 Old 07-24-2008, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Nah mate ... the most important part is price ... the more you spend, the more you can impress the Joneses.
post #1548 of 17246 Old 07-25-2008, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSeminole View Post

Odditory, What wait are you talking about??? according to the fine folks at Emotiva, pre-orders for the MPS-2 will be shipping out to their new owners tomorrow.

Damn you're right! The "preorder" button is now gone and it says "Buy". I went to their online store and before I clicked buy it hit me that I could get 2 x XPA-5 for a total of 10 channels (2000 watts) for less than the price of the MPS-2. The XPA-5 also puts out higher wattage per channels at 8 and 4 ohms than the MPS-2. Hmm.. Since I'm only planning on driving 5 channels (don't think I'll ever go to 7.1), getting two XPA-5's would hypothetically give me the ability to bi-amp all my speakers if I wanted to right? and for less than the price of an MPS-2.

What am I missing in the MPS-2's more than double the cost of an XPA-5?
post #1549 of 17246 Old 07-25-2008, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Odditory, The difference is the MPS-2 is a class h amp with seven individual modules. You can make the MPS-2 a 14 channel amp by replacing the normal module with a stereo module. If any channel malfunctions you can send in only the bad one instead of the whole amp. I have the XPA-2 and XPA-5 because I did not want to wait for the MPS-2 . I am pleased with the sound of the amps. I also wanted more power for my front speakers which are Salk HT2's. The Salks like power. You cannot go wrong with either setup. If you are lacking space the MPS-2 is the better choice. I had the space so I got the XPA-2 and XPA-5.

Thomas DiCecco
post #1550 of 17246 Old 07-25-2008, 03:33 PM

Has anybody with an MPS-1 or MPS-2 had problems with channels going out frequently and having to be sent in for repair? I have heard some buzz about that but mostly from people who have spent 8,000 dollars on an amp with the same specs as an MPS-2.

Panasonic TH-50Pz77u
Yamaha HTR-5890
Definitive Technology 2 x 7000sc, CLR 3000, 4 x BPVx, Trinity subwoofer front, Klipsch 12 inch sub rear
PS3
Xbox 360
post #1551 of 17246 Old 07-25-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busacrazy7 View Post

Has anybody with an MPS-1 or MPS-2 had problems with channels going out frequently and having to be sent in for repair? I have heard some buzz about that but mostly from people who have spent 8,000 dollars on an amp with the same specs as an MPS-2.

My MPS-1 has never needed anything repaired.

HH
post #1552 of 17246 Old 07-25-2008, 05:22 PM

would anyone know how big of a difference are amps
with Class H or Class A/B - ?

what are the plus and minus of each class -

i know Class H run very cool - and A/B run hotter - and suppose to be cleaner - less distortion etc.

i have a old Class H amp - 200wpc - but havnt heard it in a long time - since i got a AVR - - but wondering if amps made today with Class H - how do they stack up to Class A/B for audio - etc. -

thanks
post #1553 of 17246 Old 07-25-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busacrazy7 View Post

My MPS-1 has worked from day one with no problems. I use it to power my center, surrounds and zone 2 speakers. I used to use it to power my l/r, but I have a different amp for that (new speakers love power and got a good deal on a pretty powerful amp).

I love this stuff!
post #1554 of 17246 Old 07-25-2008, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

I have heard some buzz about that but mostly from people who have spent 8,000 dollars on an amp with the same specs as an MPS-2.

Those people always have agendas

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #1555 of 17246 Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

What am I missing in the MPS-2's more than double the cost of an XPA-5?

As someone else posted, space is the only issue. Im deciding the same thing as you!

2 XPA-5s is the choice but they are HUGE!!!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #1556 of 17246 Old 07-26-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got an XPA-5 in the mail. I had considered a couple of used amps from Sunfire and Parasound for a similar price, but was a little leary of buying used. Never had a power amp before and am not in the best position to determine if a used unit is in good operating condition. I feel safer having warranty coverage on my first amp.
post #1557 of 17246 Old 07-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Lads, I've owned an HK 7200 now for around 6yrs. I keep thinking about amps, but the 7200 is a workhorse. The UPA-7 looks attractive in performance, price and appearance. The 7200 was more than triple the price. Are these Emotiva amps going to be any better than my flagship 7200?

I have the fever again and I could also upgrade my BenQ 7800 to a W5000. Both the amp and the pj are in excellent condition and really don't need to be replaced. It's just that old human need to upgrade.

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

What we have heah...is a failyah to communicate.
post #1558 of 17246 Old 07-26-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post

Lads, I've owned an HK 7200 now for around 6yrs. I keep thinking about amps, but the 7200 is a workhorse. The UPA-7 looks attractive in performance, price and appearance. The 7200 was more than triple the price. Are these Emotiva amps going to be any better than my flagship 7200?

I have the fever again and I could also upgrade my BenQ 7800 to a W5000. Both the amp and the pj are in excellent condition and really don't need to be replaced. It's just that old human need to upgrade.

Get an XPA-3 and use you receiver to power the rears....This would be a waaaay bigger difference than the UPA-7 and the XPA-3 is the same price
post #1559 of 17246 Old 07-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Bigred. After I posted this, I started to think about a processor and that did cross my mind. Between the two, I'd be looking at 125lbs! I'll need to add some extra bracing in the equipment room.

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

What we have heah...is a failyah to communicate.
post #1560 of 17246 Old 07-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why not get an XPA-5??? Any of the Emotiva amps will make a huge difference in headroom and soundstage, especially the XPA series. Free shipping until the end of July and the XPA-5 is only $150 more for good bit more headroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page