7Likes
post #17221 of 17243 Old 09-13-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 666
The XPA amp Series are awesome value for their performance. The XPR amp Series are for headbangers.
...With Cerwin Vega loudspeakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17222 of 17243 Old 09-14-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I recently added a Crown X1000 amp to my system. Bought it on a whim due to the recent Guitar Center sale at $99.

Not expecting much improvement over my older, but higher end Yamaha receiver, I was blown away by the difference. Sound was much more open and detailed. Detail galore.

Even at low volumes the sound seemed effortless.

I think the amp provided the current that the speakers always needed to sound their best.

For those that believe that "amps are amps", they are correct - if that is what they hear.

I found that even an inexpensive pro amp provided me with audible benefits far exceeding the cost.

The Crown X1000 is the best "bang for the buck" improvement I've made.

My speakers are old Polk 2.3 SDA/SRS speakers that I believe are nominally rated at 6 ohms. Owned them for years but just heard with for the 1st time with the addition of the amp.
post #17223 of 17243 Old 09-14-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I recently added a Crown X1000 amp to my system. Bought it on a whim due to the recent Guitar Center sale at $99.

Not expecting much improvement over my older, but higher end Yamaha receiver, I was blown away by the difference. Sound was much more open and detailed. Detail galore.

Even at low volumes the sound seemed effortless.

I think the amp provided the current that the speakers always needed to sound their best.

For those that believe that "amps are amps", they are correct - if that is what they hear.

I found that even an inexpensive pro amp provided me with audible benefits far exceeding the cost.

The Crown X1000 is the best "bang for the buck" improvement I've made.

My speakers are old Polk 2.3 SDA/SRS speakers that I believe are nominally rated at 6 ohms. Owned them for years but just heard with for the 1st time with the addition of the amp.
post #17224 of 17243 Old 11-29-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Emotiva XPA-2 - ALL caps leaking?

Hello,

As suggested, I am re posting here. Original post here: Emotiva XPA-2 - ALL caps leaking?

I've just opened the top of my XPA-2 and had a huge surprise: it seems like almost ALL of the caps are leaking from the bottom. Not just the main PSU caps, but smaller ones on PSU PCB and also on amp PCBs look suspicious. It seems like smaller caps are glued to the pcb, like a kind of silicone or rubber to the touch, although it is really just a thin layer. I really can't say if that is glue or leaked electrolyte.

Just a few of the mian PSU caps are a bit bulged on top, but no other that I can see without dismounting the whole thing. I really can't see how they are seated, since I have no view of their bottom.

Even jumpers seem "rusted"!!! Funny thing is, the 2 "rusted" jumpers are on each of the 2 amp PCBs and are in perfect symmetry to each other. Thought maybe originally they had some kind of insulation and got damaged during assembly, but it is unlikely.

This unit has never been exposed to any kind of excessive heat. It has been, however, under my integra DTR40.2 for about one yr, but there is over an inch between them, and XPA's case or top was never hot.

This XPA powers my pair pf Philharmonic 3's and sound is absolutely perfect. No difference or complain at all, high or low volume.

I bought this unit precisely 3 yrs ago, so it is still under warranty. However, I am far from USA right now, and shipping a package this size would cost a loooooot of money.

I work with electronics and I have never seen all caps bad like this, except during cap plague, which I believe is finished and on equipment exposed to excessive heat. What do you think, have you seen something like this before?

Do you agree they have leaked?? Could some of that be actually glue?

I want to hear your opinion before getting to Emotiva.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1448.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	818.4 KB
ID:	391386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	856.8 KB
ID:	391402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1446.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	391410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1470.JPG
Size:	478.1 KB
ID:	391434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1469.JPG
Size:	535.6 KB
ID:	391442  

Name:	IMG_1468.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	497.8 KB
ID:	391450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1467.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	391458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	391466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1465.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	557.9 KB
ID:	391474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1464.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	465.5 KB
ID:	391482  

Name:	IMG_1463.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	817.4 KB
ID:	391490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1462.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	645.4 KB
ID:	391498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1461.JPG
Size:	702.1 KB
ID:	391506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1460.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	690.5 KB
ID:	391514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1459.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	563.7 KB
ID:	391522  

Name:	IMG_1458.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	665.3 KB
ID:	391530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1457.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	391538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1455.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	595.9 KB
ID:	391546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1454.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	688.9 KB
ID:	391554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1453.JPG
Size:	670.9 KB
ID:	391562  

Name:	IMG_1452.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	573.3 KB
ID:	391570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1450.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	780.6 KB
ID:	391578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1449.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	829.7 KB
ID:	391586  

Stereo: Philharmonitor 3
Center and Surrounds: Philharmonitors
Integra DTR 40.2
Emotiva XPA-2
ASUS Xonar Essence ST 24-bit 192KHz PCI
Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929
post #17225 of 17243 Old 11-29-2014, 09:12 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff2 View Post
I don't know if anyone here has reported or come across ( I have not ) a peculiar issue with my UMC 200. I have owned it since April 2013 and it has functioned perfectly until the last week or so when I noticed the volume level was dropping on all of the speakers while watching a movie with a 5.1 sound track, or an older film with mono whether using the center speaker or front left and right. The issue has also occurred when using either an Oppo bdp 93 with hdmi audio out. an Oppo bdp 95 using the analog 5.1 outputs and also two dvd players, one coaxial and the other using optical out. While the sound level drops, usually within 30 minutes, the two subs I am using ( svs cylinders ) remain at normal levels so they become rather prominent. When I turn up the volume past 50 to get any reasonable levels there is a breakup of the sound with distortion - not very pleasant! If I turn the unit off for a few minutes on standby it functions normally for a short time before it happens again. I tried resetting the umc 200 to the factory default and the problem still persists - It still has the original firmware as I could never get the update to load into my laptop so I gave up on that. I also tried to run the emo-q and it was fine for about ten minutes ( I had been watching part of a concert for 15 minutes or so ) when test tones started breaking up as they got louder- so same issue. I am wondering if Emotiva would send a new board I could install, I frankly do not really want to ship it there as I live in Canada. Also. would they frown on taking off the cover to check and possibly re seat the connectors on the board? I have heard of some doing this to some of their products, don't know if it applies to the umc 200 though. It seems a number of people have had various issues after a year or so from reading on various forums...
I bought the XMC-1 but still kept my UMC-200 because it sounded so good. That said, I did notice as well when I watched a bluray that I really did have to turn the volume up well beyond watching satellite or music. I never did an official inquiry and just dealt with the volume knob. I personally did not have any of the distortion incidents as you describe. The firmware upgrade was successful for me, but you might consider sending it in for the bench test and let them do the firmware upgrade. That processor is worth the shipping rate in my view. Since you are from Canada I would call and see what you might negotiate on Shipping.

SticknStones
"I was not born a wise man but I am learning the trade" roo
B&W 802's, Emotiva - XMC-1, (2) XPA-2's bi-wired, XPA-3, ERC-1, XDA-2, (2) Ultra-12 subs, & DSPeaker - antimode 8033c
post #17226 of 17243 Old 11-29-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagofm View Post
Hello,

As suggested, I am re posting here. Original post here: Emotiva XPA-2 - ALL caps leaking?

I've just opened the top of my XPA-2 and had a huge surprise: it seems like almost ALL of the caps are leaking from the bottom. Not just the main PSU caps, but smaller ones on PSU PCB and also on amp PCBs look suspicious. It seems like smaller caps are glued to the pcb, like a kind of silicone or rubber to the touch, although it is really just a thin layer. I really can't say if that is glue or leaked electrolyte.

Just a few of the mian PSU caps are a bit bulged on top, but no other that I can see without dismounting the whole thing. I really can't see how they are seated, since I have no view of their bottom.

Even jumpers seem "rusted"!!! Funny thing is, the 2 "rusted" jumpers are on each of the 2 amp PCBs and are in perfect symmetry to each other. Thought maybe originally they had some kind of insulation and got damaged during assembly, but it is unlikely.

This unit has never been exposed to any kind of excessive heat. It has been, however, under my integra DTR40.2 for about one yr, but there is over an inch between them, and XPA's case or top was never hot.

This XPA powers my pair pf Philharmonic 3's and sound is absolutely perfect. No difference or complain at all, high or low volume.

I bought this unit precisely 3 yrs ago, so it is still under warranty. However, I am far from USA right now, and shipping a package this size would cost a loooooot of money.

I work with electronics and I have never seen all caps bad like this, except during cap plague, which I believe is finished and on equipment exposed to excessive heat. What do you think, have you seen something like this before?

I have a pair of XPA-2's that I use to biwire my B&W 802's and have had them at least as long as you put I am only using our USA power source without incident. Not sure what power sources you have given you mention so far away and that would be my only observation that they cooked a bit. Very sorry to hear of the situation.

SticknStones
B&W 802's, Emotiva - XMC-1, (2) XPA-2's bi-wired, XPA-3, ERC-1, XDA-2, (2) Ultra-12 subs, & DSPeaker - antimode 8033c
post #17227 of 17243 Old 11-29-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Liked: 2237
Quote:
Hello,

Those are great pics - I’d send them to Emotiva and ask them if they believe this is normal for a carefully used, 3 year old amp. I think you are right to be concerned.
sticknstones likes this.
post #17228 of 17243 Old 11-29-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknstones View Post
I have a pair of XPA-2's that I use to biwire my B&W 802's and have had them at least as long as you put I am only using our USA power source without incident. Not sure what power sources you have given you mention so far away and that would be my only observation that they cooked a bit. Very sorry to hear of the situation.
All Emo amps have auto-voltage select, so his location shouldn't matter. I am in the UK where we have 240v mains and I expect my Emo amps to work properly with that.
sticknstones likes this.
post #17229 of 17243 Old 11-29-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
All Emo amps have auto-voltage select, so his location shouldn't matter. I am in the UK where we have 240v mains and I expect my Emo amps to work properly with that.
Guys, as advised again and giving a further thought, I believe it is better to keep this thread where it started, since this is a particular issue and it may be troublesome rolling pages and pages in order to follow up one single issue. Here:

I am sorry about the mess, folks!

I am posting thermal images of this thing right away and would thank your comments there.

I will definitely call Emotiva.

Quote:
I hav ebeen in Brazil all this period and the power grid here is surprisiingly good and well regulated. I am using one phase and a neutral, giving 127V. Stable, very few spikes if any, as I have measured. Sags only when it rains a lot. I believe it has nothign to do with mains.

It would, however, be really helpful if someone that owns a XPA2 about the same time I do (3 yrs) and is willing to check inside it, tell me if there is any kind of glue that looks like what is in the pics. Remember they have made some minor changes in XPA over last yrs.

Integra DTR 40.2
Emotiva XPA-2
Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929
post #17230 of 17243 Old 11-29-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I checked the Emotiva site on the XPA-2 amplifier page and did not see any reports on capacitors. There were some humming posts was about it. My units are in a tight stacked cabinet on the bottom so I would be a major ordeal to pull them out. I think you have an isolated incident and would take advantage of your warranty and work something out on the shipping. Let us know!

SticknStones
post #17231 of 17243 Old 11-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I just wonder if 127 volts is a little high for 120 volt electronics over the course of 2 or 3 years. That coupled with the Integra, also running a little high at 127 volts and sitting right on top of the XPA amp, I wonder if that could be an issue. It's just that so many of the caps are affected, different sizes and values, you'd think if there had been a bad batch of caps it would have made it onto the Emotiva forum or elsewhere.
post #17232 of 17243 Old 12-02-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 73
What happen to the entire Ultra series of amplifiers? Only UPA-200 is available. Where's UPA-500 and the rest? Is Emotiva doing a gen2 revision?
post #17233 of 17243 Old 12-02-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
What happen to the entire Ultra series of amplifiers? Only UPA-200 is available. Where's UPA-500 and the rest? Is Emotiva doing a gen2 revision?
Wow I just checked it out cause it was there yesterday. HMMMMM! good question I did just get the XPA-200 and what a difference I can hear it plus now I have 11.1surround on my yamaha 3030 and this amp doesn't even get hot and I have pushed it pretty good. Anyway hopefully the new v2's will be better Im addicted now thinking on another amp but haven't decided yet. Sorry for rambling on here. But good question need to know
post #17234 of 17243 Old 12-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
It was mentioned on the Emotiva forum that Emotiva is retiring the UPA amps. Apparently they announced this in the latest podcast. Emotiva has done this several times before, so it's not out of the norm for them. I had doubts that the little amps would be a long term part of their line up.
post #17235 of 17243 Old 12-06-2014, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Is emotiva eliminating the ultra line?

Or is a new line coming?

All i see on the site is the upa200?
post #17236 of 17243 Old 12-11-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am posting thermal images of this thing right away and would thank your comments there.

I will definitely call Emotiva.
Did you call them? What did they say?
post #17237 of 17243 Old 12-11-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Did you call them? What did they say?
Well, I didn't call them, but sent them the images. Also made tests myself. It is not electrolyte. You may check the whole thing here, if you wish

Integra DTR 40.2
Emotiva XPA-2
Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929
post #17238 of 17243 Old 12-12-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Well, I didn't call them, but sent them the images. Also made tests myself. It is not electrolyte. You may check the whole thing here, if you wish

Why is it I see "Attached Thumbnails" but no thumbnails when I go to that thread?

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #17239 of 17243 Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
Why is it I see "Attached Thumbnails" but no thumbnails when I go to that thread?
I am not sure. If you go to first page, first post:

They are there. I see them.

Integra DTR 40.2
Emotiva XPA-2
Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929
post #17240 of 17243 Old 12-12-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I can see them using Internet Explorer but not with Firefox. I wonder why that is. I enabled all scripting and FF still does not show the thumbnails. I've been using FF for the past 10 years or more and haven't had any problems other than in AVS forums.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #17241 of 17243 Old 12-14-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I'm using Firefox (v. 34.0.5) and I see the thumbnails. For whatever it's worth.

post #17242 of 17243 Unread Today, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 372
XPA-3 arrives today!

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #17243 of 17243 Unread Today, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
XPA-3 arrives today!
I know you will love it. I,ve had mine for 1.5 years and love it with the Denon klipsch combo. It weighs a ton, so be ready when lifting it.
gadgtfreek likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page