EMOTIVA Thread Q&A [TECHNICAL TALK ONLY] - Page 576 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #17251 of 17266 Old 08-14-2015, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Ditto, the trigger outputs on my Pioneer are actually assignable to the input/source positions.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 08-14-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17252 of 17266 Old 08-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 220
One thing on the triggers. Emotiva 1st gen XPA amps had some issues with their 12 volt triggers at some point, but if they had been working fine before the X4100 came into the mix, then that shouldn't be the issue.

I've been keeping loose tabs on the Emotiva SA-250 amp. It's an odd product when one considers Emotiva has had the XPA-2 for several years and claimed it was an incredible amp, etc, and more recently came out with the XPR-2, claiming it's Godzilla. Then they release the SA-250, and apparently Dan said on a pod cast that none of their other amps can touch the sound quality. I'm just wondering where it fits in compared to the other 2 amps I mentioned. What is Emotiva after here?

Last edited by audio4life; 08-16-2015 at 10:19 AM.
post #17253 of 17266 Old 08-16-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
One thing on the triggers. Emotiva 1st gen XPA amps had some issues with their 12 volt triggers at some point, but if they had been working fine before the X4100 came into the mix, then that shouldn't be the issue.

I've been keeping loose tabs on the Emotiva SA-250 amp. It's an odd product when one considers Emotiva has had the XPA-2 for several years and claimed it was an incredible amp, etc, and more recently came out with the XPR-2, claiming it's Godzilla. Then they release the SA-250, and apparently Dan said on a pod cast that none of their other amps can touch the sound quality. I'm just wondering where it fits in compared to the other 2 amps I mentioned. What is Emotiva after here?
Your $$$$.
post #17254 of 17266 Old 08-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post

I think the SA-250 is just a more affordable option for a 2-channel setup without going XPR. It slides in right between the XPR-2 and XPA-2. Guess Emotiva has to do something with the leftover Sherbourn PA-250 parts.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #17255 of 17266 Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Is there anywhere that sells Emotiva at less than retail? $500 for a 2 channel amp (granted 150W/ch) seems a bit steep. I wish they offered weaker 2 channel amps for cheaper. I was thinking the mini-X a-100 but I'm a bit worried about the fan noise, and 50W/ch versus 150W/ch is a huge difference.

Also, do these amps have auto on/off depending on signal received?

Thanks.

Last edited by Tyrindor; Yesterday at 07:08 AM.
post #17256 of 17266 Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
Is there anywhere that sells Emotiva at less than retail? I rarely pay retail when buying speakers/amps/receivers/TVs, but simply no one has them. $500 for a 2 channel amp (granted 150W/ch) seems a bit steep. I wish they offered weaker 2 channel amps for cheaper.

Thanks.
Being an ID company, not really, your best bet to get discounted gear is used, like an older UPA-2 or UPA-200, you can find them on e-bay (jadedesign is their e-bay factory referb store) or here in the classifieds, but the best place to watch is in the Emporium section of their forum. Plus they have seasonal sales (10% off everything) and referbs sales also (they referb traded in gear from upgrade sales not just repair/returns), sign up for their forum or news letter to be advised on when.
Plus, their 5 year warranty is transferable as long as you are buying from or can get a hold of the person who the warranty is assigned to.

Oh, not certain about the older gear but the X series is not auto on/off with signal, only with 12v trigger.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; Yesterday at 07:23 AM.
post #17257 of 17266 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Being an ID company, not really, your best bet to get discounted gear is used, like an older UPA-2 or UPA-200, you can find them in e-bay (jadedesign is their e-bay referb store) or here in the classifieds, but the best place to watch is in the Emporium section of their forum. Plus they have seasonal sales (10% off everything) and referbs they sell also, sign up for their forum or news letter to be advised on when.

Oh, not certain about the older gear but the X series is not auto on/off with signal, only with 12v trigger.
Thanks. I'm debating just buying the mini a-100. It's only 50W/ch but it's only going to power 2 ATMOS height speakers (2x Klipsch RS-52s). Klipsch speakers are efficient so I assume it'd be more than enough for low distortion reference level volume. Yes I watch my movies at reference.

Any reason why this wouldn't work? I'd rather not spend $500 to power 2 atmos speakers. Seems like extreme overkill.
post #17258 of 17266 Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'm debating just buying the mini a-100. It's only 50W/ch but it's only going to power 2 ATMOS height speakers (2x Klipsch RS-52s). Klipsch speakers are efficient so I assume it'd be more than enough for low distortion reference level volume. Yes I watch my movies at reference.

Any reason why this wouldn't work? I'd rather not spend $500 to power 2 atmos speakers. Seems like extreme overkill.
Absolutely it would work.
I just peeked in the Emporium, there's a used 2 channel Fusion Flex for sale for $160 obo + shipping, there.

Here's the spec link 75 w/ch 8 ohm.
https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/fusion-flex

Here's the link to their lounge:
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com

My Build Thread:
post #17259 of 17266 Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Is there anywhere that sells Emotiva at less than retail? $500 for a 2 channel amp (granted 150W/ch) seems a bit steep. I wish they offered weaker 2 channel amps for cheaper. I was thinking the mini-X a-100 but I'm a bit worried about the fan noise, and 50W/ch versus 150W/ch is a huge difference.

Thanks.
I was thinking exactly the same to power a pair of Def Tech AW6500 I just installed on my terrace ceiling. It's adjacent to my HT build, so I needed a stereo amp. $500 + shipping to EU + duties & Vat is a bit much. I just missed a refurbished XPA-200 for $349. So I considered either a MiniX-a100 or a Behringer A500 (which is around €200-220).

One last search before hitting the buy button on the Behringer found me a mint UPA-2 for €200, only 20' drive from my home! These things are rock solid, so why not? The man I bought it from had bought a Marantz multichannel amp, modded by CineMike. Cost: €6000 (!!!). In an untreated living room, so pearls to the pigs IMO.

He also has 3 UPA-1 he is selling, BTW.

Building now: 9.2.6 HT with tri-amped ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR + 12 Beta 10CX coaxials.
5.1 current: B&W CM7/CMC/CM1 REL SW • XMC-1 • XPR-5 • Oppo 83SE-NE • ATV
2ch: iMac & Amarra+Dirac • Weiss DAC2 • XSP-1 • XPA-1 • Jamo R909
post #17260 of 17266 Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post
The man I bought it from had bought a Marantz multichannel amp, modded by CineMike. Cost: €6000 (!!!). In an untreated living room, so pearls to the pigs IMO.
Yeah I always get a kick out of people dropping thousands into equipment with zero room treatment.
post #17261 of 17266 Old Today, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Yeah I always get a kick out of people dropping thousands into equipment with zero room treatment.
I agree somewhat with your thoughts. I've invested thousands into my system but I don't want to add room treatments. My system is in my living room and it's not a very big room so it would make the room seem even smaller. I know with the addition of room treatments my system would sound better. But I'm quite happy with the SQ now and hope it's improved when I order Dirac Full and a UMIK-1 calibrated mic .

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #17262 of 17266 Old Today, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 5158 Post(s)
Liked: 3721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I agree somewhat with your thoughts. I've invested thousands into my system but I don't want to add room treatments. My system is in my living room and it's not a very big room so it would make the room seem even smaller. I know with the addition of room treatments my system would sound better. But I'm quite happy with the SQ now and hope it's improved when I order Dirac Full and a UMIK-1 calibrated mic .

Bill
I sympathise with your situation there, Bill. I am lucky to have a dedicated (albeit small) room and I have treated it extensively. The cost is trivial by comparison with the improvement to the sound, especially with regard to imaging and clarity. However, for those using their living rooms for their HT, it can be difficult to incorporate acoustic panels.

HST, I wouldn't automatically assume that it is impossible to make some improvements. Acoustic panels are available in a huge variety of colors and some even allow for artwork to be added so they look more like paintings or artworks than treatment panels. By adding just a couple of panels at the first reflection points, you can make a significant difference to imaging and clarity and all without making the room look ugly. Often, it is also possible to add treatments to a couple of corners in the back of the room. So don't automatically think that it is impossible for you to benefit to some worthwhile extent. Some improvement is always better than no improvement.

The other thing you can do, which you are already planning to do, is to add Dirac to your system, either in the Emotiva processor or via the add-on miniDSP 88A (my own solution). Dirac Live corrects and optimises in the all-important time domain, not just the frequency domain, and in doing so it controls unwanted and malign early reflections very well, bringing great benefits. You will immediately notice an improvement in imaging and clarity, and your bass performance will be significantly changed for the better too as ringing is brought under some control. It is this correction in the time domain which sets Dirac Live apart from other REQ systems and which makes Dirac a SOTA solution.

One other thing I would recommend to everyone is to do as you are planning which is to spend the very modest sum being asked by Emotiva for the "full" version of Dirac Live. The additional features are well worth having, especially for such a modest amount (I believe it is just $99?).
post #17263 of 17266 Old Today, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Another simple and usually WAF friendly is curtains, curtains, curtains, if you have any windows that are blinds only, or if you have an opening that you can cover with a heavy curtain during special use times, and hide away during normal use, use them. My room has 6 - 24" x 48" widows and a 6' x 7' opening to another room, all with heavy double thick curtains, the sound is completely different with the curtains open.

My Build Thread:
post #17264 of 17266 Old Today, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Another simple and usually WAF friendly is curtains, curtains, curtains, if you have any windows that are blinds only, or if you have an opening that you can cover with a heavy curtain during special use times, and hide away during normal use, use them. My room has 6 - 24" x 48" widows and a 6' x 7' opening to another room, the sound is completely different with the curtains open.
Yes, curtains, especially heavy drapes, can make a noticeable difference. The problem with using curtains as room treatments is that they are not 'broadband' absorbers. Broadband absorbers will absorb all the frequencies in their absorption range equally whereas curtain will absorb some (the higher frequencies particularly) more than others and this can give spectral distortion. But yes, they can still be effective if they help control unwanted reflections, even if less than ideal.
post #17265 of 17266 Old Today, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Sometimes I visit clients who have a living room with ceramic floors, plastered concrete ceiling, glas tables, leather seating and those aluminium shades and no curtains. Even without music, these are very uncosy sounding places to live in. And no, not all of these clients are bachelors... Some women lack in taste as much as men!

If you do it with some thought, room treatments can be a great visual asset to a space. Much more than curtains, IMO. It does not have to look like a 150 year old theater at all!

Building now: 9.2.6 HT with tri-amped ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR + 12 Beta 10CX coaxials.
5.1 current: B&W CM7/CMC/CM1 REL SW • XMC-1 • XPR-5 • Oppo 83SE-NE • ATV
2ch: iMac & Amarra+Dirac • Weiss DAC2 • XSP-1 • XPA-1 • Jamo R909
post #17266 of 17266 Old Today, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post
Sometimes I visit clients who have a living room with ceramic floors, plastered concrete ceiling, glas tables, leather seating and those aluminium shades and no curtains. Even without music, these are very uncosy sounding places to live in. And no, not all of these clients are bachelors... Some women lack in taste as much as men!

If you do it with some thought, room treatments can be a great visual asset to a space. Much more than curtains, IMO. It does not have to look like a 150 year old theater at all!
Right on, Erwin. Totally agreed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier