post #151 of 17196 Old 03-08-2007, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

I assume that the Emotiva stuff is a decent commodity, and $499 is a pretty good price, though if one opens up their $499 amp I doubt it will look much different from a $350-400 receiver's amp section due to economies of scale and the like. As such, it will sound the same as other amps.

You know what happens when you assume.

Now back to the thread.

I returned my LMC-1 due to a bug when you rewind or 7 second replay.
It took almost another 7 seconds for the sound to come back,
negating the reason I went back. I think this problem was due to auto-polling which you can't turn off.
I thought I'd get use to it but couldn't.

I also briefly had the center channel bug they talk about in the avs123 forums, but it went away.

The remote sux. Select/enter is not in the circle (it's actually next to it were the "right" button is) so I was constanly going to the wrong place.
I know, use a Harmony (and I do) but I tweak my receiver and TV a bit and a universal remote is not as easy.

Some posters like the 2 channel mini-amp in it, but to me, the only sound amp in there should be for headphones, which it lacks.

The firmware was not field replaceable, so I returned before the 30 day period. I believe they have come out with a dongle so you can now update firmware at home. I wish I would have kept the amp, and reordered the pre/amp when all the bugs are gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 17196 Old 03-08-2007, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DS-21,

I'm not going to discuss this with you anymore. I did post results from a back of a manual that has been certified by the FCC and is considered a STANDARD for rating equipment. You on the other hand continue to post your unproven theories and allude to all this common knowledge. I would encourage you to start your own separate threat dedicated to the education of the fellow members.

It states that at 100 watts tested at 1khz you are getting 10% distortion. The receiver has a total power consumption of around 190 watts. Even assuming at 100% efficiency the receiver would only be capable of a whopping 38 watts per channel at once. That isn't even considering a 20hz to 20khz test reflecting a real world scenario. Unlike your deductions, these are simple physics, not decades of your acoustical book theories. That may be enough to drive your speakers right beside your desk, but not for the vast majority here.

Quote:

Obviously, people with less efficient speakers and/or bigger rooms need more power to reach Mahler-8-at-seventh-row-center-in-the-Musikverein peaks. And people with speakers that have nasty impedance curves need something with a stouter power supply, because otherwise there will be sonic differences.

Who hoo! You just admitted a difference in amplifiers! There isn't a speaker available that has a completely flat impedance curve. The closest are probably Magnepans and they are notoriously hard to drive.

Quote:

I assume that the Emotiva stuff is a decent commodity, and $499 is a pretty good price, though if one opens up their $499 amp I doubt it will look much different from a $350-400 receiver's amp section due to economies of scale and the like.

Since we are here again posting about emotiva equipment, I will save you the research that you weren't going to do anyway and here again post hard proof that there are differences in amplifiers. The first is of the LPA, the second is of the Denon 3806, a respectable $1000 dollar receiver. Yes call me crazy, but I'm going to double the price of your ridiculous assumption. Here again this proves that you have no idea of what your talking about and have lost touch with reality in terms of what gets implemented in equipment. Oh and by the way it is a great first look at a parts difference between amps. Hopefully you don't need me to spell out all the design differences between the two. This is here again all public information and is taken from their websites.

I appologize to everyone for continuing to argue with DS-21. Hopefully I have added some extra insight to the emotiva equipment. This will be my last post addressing him and I would encourage you to do the same. Looking at his prior posts, these amplifier arguments have been going on for the past 2 years. No one is going to change his opinion or even be able to carry on a rational conversation. The best thing to do is ignore him and maybe he'll go away.
LL
LL
post #153 of 17196 Old 03-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Back on topic! Next one to continue bickering will get a vacation.

Kyser

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #154 of 17196 Old 03-08-2007, 07:59 AM

Anyone know if the dongle comes w/ the LMC now (for updating firmware)?

Mine arrives today! Woohoo!

I'll be returning a 1016 to Amazon if my assumptions prove to be correct in my real world test of my living room / ht

I realize this isn't a set of Krell Mono's, but I am fairly sure that this set will drive my current speaker set with little effort and a great deal more oomphf than my current Pioneer (or prior Pioneer VSX-07 Elite).

I'm psyched.

michael
post #155 of 17196 Old 03-08-2007, 09:28 AM

Ok, just ordered my LMC-1 and IPS-1. Here's the latest lowdown from Lonnie at Emotiva:

He got in the latest firmware this morning and said he'd pull my unit before it ships on Monday. The dongles are not shipping right now, they are being produced now. For any current owners who need/want to update all you need to do is call and they will send one out when they get them.
post #156 of 17196 Old 03-08-2007, 10:24 AM

I too just took the plunge and ordered the LMC- and LPA-1, shipped today. This is to replace my Arcam AVR-200. Curious if anyone has gone from a similar Arcam to the Emotiva and what their experience was. My speakers should be plenty easy to drive, as my living room is pretty small, and I'm driving a set of KEF 3005's. It'll be nice to actually set the cross over for my sub at the Processor now, since the sub in that KEF line has no cross over setting on it, and the Arcam didn't have the ability to select it either. Can't wait!!
post #157 of 17196 Old 03-08-2007, 12:58 PM

In the last few days, audioholics has updated their web pages and of notable interest:

For both the $5,000 Audio centric theater AND the $12,000 complete theater package the alternate recommendation from the all-in-one AVR's is the LMC / LPA combination.

Sweet

Mine should be here in a few hours... hopefully before the wife leaves for work, or i'll have to run over by the UPS office.

michael
post #158 of 17196 Old 03-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
hey guys, congrats and let us all know how you like your gear.

Lovin my MPS1!
post #159 of 17196 Old 03-08-2007, 03:25 PM

hey jetjockey1 how did the amp arrive? How does it sound? Let us know all the details! Thanks!!
post #160 of 17196 Old 03-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Max, go back in this thread, its all there. Just love it, friggin awesome!
post #161 of 17196 Old 03-08-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=816984

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #162 of 17196 Old 03-08-2007, 06:20 PM

Here is the actual announcement from Emotiva:

Quote:

Hello everyone,
I'm finally getting out of China this morning!

The Emo look with continue to be maintained in our new products. The floating wing front panels will be reserved for our Profesional Series products.

The Reference Series cosmetics will continue to be compatable with the Ultra Series so that clients can "mix and match".

There is a new Reference processor AND an Ultra processor in development now. We've released some of the details on the Professional processor, but we are not going to tip our hand on the Ultra until it is released, as I believe it may re-define the low cost processor catagory. Suffuce it to say, that we hear everydody's needs and comments.

I really can't give you too many details yet, as I mentioned before, we have competitors out there who would like to know our internal plans too!

We are VERY, VERY, busy with new product develpment. Processors are not the only thing we are working on!

Talk to you from the beautiful USA!

Best regards,
Dan

post #163 of 17196 Old 03-08-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Here is the actual announcement from Emotiva:

Hello everyone,
I'm finally getting out of China this morning!

The Emo look with continue to be maintained in our new products. The floating wing front panels will be reserved for our Profesional Series products.

The Reference Series cosmetics will continue to be compatable with the Ultra Series so that clients can "mix and match".

There is a new Reference processor AND an Ultra processor in development now. We've released some of the details on the Professional processor, but we are not going to tip our hand on the Ultra until it is released, as I believe it may re-define the low cost processor catagory. Suffuce it to say, that we hear everydody's needs and comments.

I really can't give you too many details yet, as I mentioned before, we have competitors out there who would like to know our internal plans too!

We are VERY, VERY, busy with new product develpment. Processors are not the only thing we are working on!

Talk to you from the beautiful USA!

Best regards,
Dan

/drool

WOW, I can't wait to see what they come up with next! Maybe we can get some built in HDMI, and some pass through/upscaling too!!
post #164 of 17196 Old 03-09-2007, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

I for one am looking forward to their new gear, should be really exciting stuff. I have good reason to believe they are currently working on a lineup of subwoofers for one, they have a poll on audioholics asking what people want in a sub and its sponsored by EMO.

Fun times ahead. maybe ,my PW2200 is gonna go by by.
post #165 of 17196 Old 03-09-2007, 08:45 AM

I just bought the MPS-1 (3-channel only for now. May be more module when budget allow). I currently have the PSB Stratus Silver-i for my Main (L/R) and the Stratus C6i as Center. I'm still using my Pio Elite VSX47 to drive as pre-amp for now. The goal is to upgrade in stages.

1. Get a separate Pre/Pro - May consider the Emo LMC-1 to take advantage of 40% discount when the new pre/pro out by year end.
2. Get 2 more module for the MPS-1 for the surround--may find other 2-channel as another separate.
3. Upgrade the speakers.

Of course these may not go in order. Seem like 1&2 must go together. Otherwise there'd be no surround. So what would be an upgrade of the PSB Stratus Silver? Or would you say the PSB should stay and focus on the pre/pros? I've read in other thread--there's been talked of the Proceed AVP2 and Bel Canto PrePro as the cream of the crop for music and HT. Used is still pretty expensive. My goal is to find something that give me at least 5 years without having to upgrade again. Any recom'd?

Thanks for any info.
post #166 of 17196 Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Don't bother posting your opinion of something that you have zero experience with. Also, don't insult forum members or your account will be suspended.

Last chance,

Kyser

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #167 of 17196 Old 03-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Tcr

Just received my MPS1 a couple of days ago and am loving it.
However, I do have a slight problem. I'm using it to drive (2) Rocket 760's as mains and (2) Ref1's as rears. Using a Denon 2807 as pre/pro and to drive the RSC center.
The problem is that the two rear channels drop out at higher volume (one at a time, too) or with "explosive" material in movies.
Also using infinity TSS 1200 sub and side surrounds and B channel.
Any suggestions guys?
I only have 4 modules in the MPS1 and they are side by side right now and I was thinking of spacing them but that shouldn't make that much of a difference should it? I mean, this thing is a beast that was made to run 7 at a time.

"We were children, once, playing with toys..." ~ Steve Winwood
post #168 of 17196 Old 03-10-2007, 03:31 AM

Dan Luafman of Emotiva has just coughed up some particulars on the new LMC-2 processors at AV123. USB support etc., etc.
post #169 of 17196 Old 03-11-2007, 07:26 PM

Hello,

I've posted reasons why in other threads for the "IMO" need for headroom on my Yamaha 659. So to the point!

Im thinking of using the RPA-1 200w X2 amp to run my L/R Paradigm 9's V5 (Max input 150w , suitable amp power 15w-200w)

Also the BPA-1 150w Bridged amp to run my Paradigm CC-290 (Max 120w , suitable 15w-175)

Letting the Yamaha 100w/per run my surrounds (crap atm but thinking of going with the Mini monitors V5, Im pretty sure i want monopole surrounds for my 5.1 setup)

Im wondering about the difference in power that i would have going to the L/R VS. the Center ( i read somewhere that the same power is best ?).

The 2 amps would run 900$, So would i be better off with 3x BPA-1 to keep the same power to each of my front 3 speakers and save 300$ or would i be ok with the setup im interested in to keep the 2channel listening with good power?

Thankx again!

Edit= Sorry was ment for a new thread!
post #170 of 17196 Old 03-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcr View Post

Just received my MPS1 a couple of days ago and am loving it.
However, I do have a slight problem. I'm using it to drive (2) Rocket 760's as mains and (2) Ref1's as rears. Using a Denon 2807 as pre/pro and to drive the RSC center.
The problem is that the two rear channels drop out at higher volume (one at a time, too) or with "explosive" material in movies.
Also using infinity TSS 1200 sub and side surrounds and B channel.
Any suggestions guys?
I only have 4 modules in the MPS1 and they are side by side right now and I was thinking of spacing them but that shouldn't make that much of a difference should it? I mean, this thing is a beast that was made to run 7 at a time.

Hey TCR, congrats on the MPS1, its one awesome amp.

Its weird that you are dropping out the rear channels, sounds like the power modules are soft clipping and going into auto shutdown. Have you balanced all your line levels? I suspect using the AVR to drive the center is the problem here.

Moving the modules will do nothing as they operate as monblocs anyway( independant of each other).
Pm me if you need help, do you have an spl meter? I really think that your levels are set way out of wack because of the power difference.
Chris
post #171 of 17196 Old 03-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Kyser, thanks for that, wish we could get rid of more of these negative nellies that come on here and just flame people, its really tiresome.

Thank you!
Chris
post #172 of 17196 Old 03-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Tcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey1 View Post

Hey TCR, congrats on the MPS1, its one awesome amp.

Its weird that you are dropping out the rear channels, sounds like the power modules are soft clipping and going into auto shutdown. Have you balanced all your line levels? I suspect using the AVR to drive the center is the problem here.

Moving the modules will do nothing as they operate as monblocs anyway( independant of each other).
Pm me if you need help, do you have an spl meter? I really think that your levels are set way out of wack because of the power difference.
Chris

Been there, done that, all spl's are in alignment.
However, strange as it might seem, moving the two modules used to drive the Ref1's did make a slight increase.

post #173 of 17196 Old 03-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Tcr

Quote:

Don't bother posting your opinion of something that you have zero experience with. Also, don't insult forum members or your account will be suspended.

Last chance,

Kyser

Lovin' that!!!

post #174 of 17196 Old 03-12-2007, 12:13 PM

Hey guys, I've been thinking about the LMC-1/LPA-1 combo as well. Do you think there will be an improvement that justifies its price? I currently have a Sony STR-DA3000ES that drives my rear channels (mirage omnisats) and a Manley Stingray that drives my front channels (totem hawks) (I don't use a center channel). I got interested after avsforums posted it a couple of weeks ago. I just couldn't believe that there was a sub $1000 pre/pro and amp combo available that could get great reviews. I have never heard of Emotiva before and was considering to go towards ARCAM for my next reciever. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Experience with the following gear:
Cambridge Audio 640R
Cabmridge Audio 752BD
Rotel RCD-1072
Pioneer BDP-05FD
Emotiva UPA-7
Sherbourn PT-7020A
Manley Labs Stingray Integrated
Totem Acoustics Rainmaker Center
Totem Acoustics Hawks
Adams Audio MK3 Pencil
post #175 of 17196 Old 03-12-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have the LPA-1 amp, and absolutely love it. Outstanding box. Unfortunately I can't comment on the LMC-1.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #176 of 17196 Old 03-12-2007, 02:39 PM

madpoet, what are you using as your pre/pro with the LPA-1?

Experience with the following gear:
Cambridge Audio 640R
Cabmridge Audio 752BD
Rotel RCD-1072
Pioneer BDP-05FD
Emotiva UPA-7
Sherbourn PT-7020A
Manley Labs Stingray Integrated
Totem Acoustics Rainmaker Center
Totem Acoustics Hawks
Adams Audio MK3 Pencil
post #177 of 17196 Old 03-12-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboy48 View Post

madpoet, what are you using as your pre/pro with the LPA-1?

I'd like to know as well.
post #178 of 17196 Old 03-12-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

Dan Luafman of Emotiva has just coughed up some particulars on the new LMC-2 processors at AV123. USB support etc., etc.

Please link to this.

I cannot find it.
post #179 of 17196 Old 03-12-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

Please link to this.

I cannot find it.

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=19449&page=14
post #180 of 17196 Old 03-13-2007, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBee View Post

I'd like to know as well.

I was originally using a Boston Acoustics AVP7, and now am using a Denon 3806. I know, heresy! But I needed to make it a little more WAF and I like the Denon HDMI capabilities.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page