AVS Forum banner
1M views 17K replies 1K participants last post by  Nemesis.ie 
#1 ·
Hello forum...have you heard about the new Emotiva amps......RPA1 sounds pretty good to me.

Dual mono design....reasonable price.....should be on the market soon. Has anybody got moe info?

Anders.

#7,822 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyman /forum/post/17750429

I'm not sure where your going with this...you guys didn't like the cheapest speaker Emotiva makes so the rest of the line must suck too?? Am I missing something??

Ok, I'll bite... YES!

Or wait... No, they don't all "suck" (your word) because the design and drivers are so different amongst the line up. Other then the cheapest speaker, Emotiva makes great sounding speakers.

There, are you happier now?

#7,824 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan /forum/post/17750507

I'd love to consider Onkyo/Integra as alternatives; however, some of their users have had way to much grief on getting service issues resolved, as posted in other threads on this site.

There certainly are some issues that have been out there. I would add that most manufacturers have had issues with some users....

Looking at Onkyo/Integra in more detail I've seen much of the complaint focussed around some specific products.... specifically some older gear, especially a few years ago when some of the newest technology was adopted. Being on the bleeding edge was a problem for sure. Other issues were expectation issues and timing issues. Not surprising considering what some people expect and what reality meets out. It has happened with many people. Look at some of the flagship gear and the nightmares people have gone through. The newest Integra and Onkyo gear seems to have stabilized things and there is no wildly new technology causing issues anymore.

I don't have much experience with Integra, and none with Onkyo. I found the tech assistance very helpful with Integra, easy to get a hold of and good answers. On a few Integra threads I've seen a few recent good customer service experiences where individuals are getting things sorted out with them. The vast majority are having no problems and people seem to be happy with their gear.

So I guess I'm suggesting that the latest gear from Onkyo/Integra seems to be good. The network capability makes firmware updates a breeze and this will be a win-win for them and for buyers and running changes will be easily performed.

I just want people to have some perspective. My opinion is good so far, but who knows what might happen if things go south....

FWIW I have the new DHC-40.1 and it is coupled with the XPA-5. A great combo at great prices.

Best wishes and YMMV

#7,825 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/17750164

Yes - harassment charges via email. Here is the email I sent to Cathy Lauffman and to sales at Emo that spurred Dann to go so far overboard:

----------------------------------------------

I was unceremoniously booted from the Emotiva Lounge last night - probably by Dann G although I can't be sure. Seems it is a 30 day suspension.

My criticism - hardly a hard core complaint - must have pushed a few buttons on Dann - he deleted my posts. They were hardly offensive - I pointed out how the lack of any communications on the part of your company was causing a lack of credibility. Perhaps you don't understand or appreciate the criticism - I don't blame you - but look at it from the perspective of the potential buyer - of which I am one. We get this huge build-up that this is about to be released then - what? - no word whatever. Its Emotiva that has set the expectation not us. The latest stall should have been addressed to us the end user as soon as it became apparent that the UMC-1 would be delayed yet again - but no - nothing. Please understand my frustration on this. And I'm not alone. Many of the Lounge members are also frustrated. What do I get for a bit of venting? Banned from the Lounge for 30 days. How is that fair?

To this point I've been a very loyal customer of your company - I've recommended your products on AVS and Audioholics forums many many times.

And this is how you treat an otherwise loyal customer? If this is how you deal with some light criticism I may have to change my recommendations in the future - and where I buy from.

I've bought from your company to date: UPA-7 - two 8.3s - pair ERD-1s - pair ERM-1s & two 6.2s.

You can remove my name from the UMC-1 list. I think I don't much care right now.

I'm just too damned mad to even contemplating buying anything from you right now.

Dann's response was this:

I have requested that you cease emails to employess at emotiva.com . You continued emails are harrassment. You have already been reported, and this email will be reported as well.

----------------------------------------

How level-headed is that?

How is this harassment? Getting band is ridiculous and Emotiva does owe you an apology.

In light of this and their refusal to be upfront about the umc-1 I might be canceling my order. Dann G is acting immature and they as a company need to grow up with how they handle criticism and pressure from it's fans. They are starting to sound like av123 as somebody else stated earlier.

They do have some overzealous fans who have blinders on.

#7,827 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyman /forum/post/17750034

Anyways..I picked up the Pioneer Elite VSX-21 yesterday..I'm finally listening to lossless audio. When the UMC-1 finally does come out I'm sure I'll give it an audition. I just don't see it happening before spring as I'm not on the original pre-order list...

P.S. I'm pretty impressed with the Pioneer unit so far...

I just recommended the VSX-21 to some friends, and hope to be able to go help them set it up soon. It looks like a nice unit on paper, and I look forward to putting it through its paces.
Quote:

Yes - harassment charges via email. Here is the email I sent to Cathy Lauffman and to sales at Emo that spurred Dann to go so far overboard:

-snip-

I have requested that you cease emails to employess at emotiva.com . You continued emails are harrassment. You have already been reported, and this email will be reported as well.

Seriously??? That's just absurd. Did they send Dann to a customer service seminar called "How to make maximize bad decisions and alienate customers"?

Companies that run their own forums and want them to be a credible resource have to accept certain difficult truths. One is that the forum will provide a public face for company mistakes, both when the mistakes happens and for years to follow. Customers will complain. If you try to hide those complaints by deleting posts or other tactics, the short-term benefit is that people aren't reading the complaint, but the long-term cost is that the company's credibility is undermined every time you do it. Not everyone will recognize it, but enough people will - especially repeat customers (the ones you want to hang on to the most) who are around the most and paying the closest attention. (Some posts deserve being deleted, of course, but I tend to feel that it should be reserved for personal attacks, spam, or offensive posts - not complaints, even when they are really inconvenient for the company.) Banning such posters is an even more flagrant way to hurt your credibility, and complaining to the ISP afterward is just childish (and completely unjustified). It's like Emotiva is trying to follow in AV123's marketing footsteps, which is not a smart role model to use considering AV123's current woes.

#7,828 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder /forum/post/17750602

The forum is open again at Emotiva.

Yes it is but no mention of a possible delay on the release of the UMC-1. I see that a number of threads and posts have been deleted. Specifically ones discussing the delay of the UMC-1 and the lack of communication from Emotiva on what is going on.

Bill

#7,829 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/17750840

Yes it is but no mention of a possible delay on the release of the UMC-1. I see that a number of threads and posts have been deleted. Specifically ones discussing the delay of the UMC-1 and the lack of communication from Emotiva on what is going on.

Bill

They've done this before. I've read threads that weren't showing Emotiva in the best light and for no reason the Lounge goes offline for no good reason. Once it comes back up that thread is gone. Any company that prides itself on customers service and great communications should be big enough to accept the criticism as part of doing business. It feels more like the USSR at times than an 'open' forum.

I know exactly what Dann G wrote concerning the delay of the UMC-1 last night - software needed updating. I am highly skeptical of that. After all they have had one in-house since Labor Day and have stated on many occasions that it works 'flawlessly'. Maybe that word has the same meaning as 'imminent' release? They used that term last year at this time - then it was coming in late June - then in early July it was Labor Day - then it was late November - now? Who the hell knows?

I'm past caring about the UMC-1 now - I think the Integra 40.1 or even the Onkyo SR707 would be a better choice.

Anyone know where I can get the Integra for under a grand?

#7,830 ·
They really should not have stated that Units will be shipping in November at this late in the game.

I initially took that as there would be actual units leaving their HQ in Tennessee on a UPS truck heading to all parts of the world. I think alot of others thought so as well.

Instead we find out Shipping in November really meant that units are still in China. Arrangements for Air shipment of a very small handful of units are being started on Nov 30. We apparently still have customs to deal with.

#7,831 ·
"Shipping in November" should mean "shipping to customers in November." If it meant "shipping from the factory in November" then they should have said that. If it meant "we'll find out in November when the factory plans to ship it" then they should have said that. If it means "we don't know when the software will be ready" then they should have either said that or said nothing at all...

#7,832 ·
Being new to this...If I used the XPA-2 for my two front speakers, would a Pioneer Elite SC-25 work for my center and two surround speakers?

I was going to add the XPA-3 for the center and two rear surrounds and team it with the UMC-1, but with this delay, I was also looking for an alternative. Any thoughts if the XPA-2/Pioneer will be a good alternative would be welcome.

Otherwise, should I still get he XPA-3 and another brand pre-amp/processor.

Thanks

Dave

#7,833 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/17750974

Anyone know where I can get the Integra for under a grand?

You could check in the 40.1 thread. I believe some mentioned pricing under $1K.

Bill

#7,834 ·

Quote:

I was unceremoniously booted from the Emotiva Lounge last night - probably by Dann G although I can't be sure. Seems it is a 30 day suspension.

My criticism - hardly a hard core complaint - must have pushed a few buttons on Dann - he deleted my posts. They were hardly offensive - I pointed out how the lack of any communications on the part of your company was causing a lack of credibility. Perhaps you don't understand or appreciate the criticism - I don't blame you - but look at it from the perspective of the potential buyer - of which I am one. We get this huge build-up that this is about to be released then - what? - no word whatever. Its Emotiva that has set the expectation not us. The latest stall should have been addressed to us the end user as soon as it became apparent that the UMC-1 would be delayed yet again - but no - nothing. Please understand my frustration on this. And I'm not alone. Many of the Lounge members are also frustrated. What do I get for a bit of venting? Banned from the Lounge for 30 days. How is that fair?

To this point I've been a very loyal customer of your company - I've recommended your products on AVS and Audioholics forums many many times.

And this is how you treat an otherwise loyal customer? If this is how you deal with some light criticism I may have to change my recommendations in the future - and where I buy from.

I've bought from your company to date: UPA-7 - two 8.3s - pair ERD-1s - pair ERM-1s & two 6.2s.

You can remove my name from the UMC-1 list. I think I don't much care right now.

I'm just too damned mad to even contemplating buying anything from you right now.

My two cents.. that's not harassment. I don't know what your other e-mails may have said but the one you reprinted here sounds reasonable to me.

#7,835 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 /forum/post/17751120

Being new to this...If I used the XPA-2 for my two front speakers, would a Pioneer Elite SC-25 work for my center and two surround speakers?

I was going to add the XPA-3 for the center and two rear surrounds and team it with the UMC-1, but with this delay, I was also looking for an alternative. Any thoughts if the XPA-2/Pioneer will be a good alternative would be welcome.

Otherwise, should I still get he XPA-3 and another brand pre-amp/processor.

Thanks

Dave

Dave,

I would get the XPA-3 to go with the SC-25. That way you would get equal power across the front for your LCR speakers.

Bill

#7,836 ·

Quote:

While it appears Dann has overreacted based on your account of the situation, I think there is a lot more to the story than what you are telling us. Dann mentions "continued emails" and that you have "already been reported" implying that this is not the email pushed them over the edge, but merely another one to add to the list.

#7,837 ·
I don't have a dog in this fight, but...

I'm surprised that nobody is seeing the bigger picture here.

Dunno know how anyone can ignore that this is the second time that Emo has had an uncomfortable prepro rollout, or that the Cary 11a thread is 8,000 pages long.

Isn't it apparent that none of these smaller manufacturers are remotely in a position to deliver something as complex as a current-codec, full-featured, good-sounding, right-priced prepro – on time or otherwise? And for a dozen different reasons. For better or worse, only the biggest mainstream mfrs have resources to produce such pieces, and good business dictates that they take the form of AVRs, not separates. And even then, there are still handshake issues galore, because HDCP was rushed to market with no standards.

If ever there was a case study for the utter worthlessness of marketing via internet pre-release buzz, it's Emotiva (and others). It only creates unreal expectations in a (seemingly) computer-savvy audience who hallucinate that these value-priced pieces will rock their world.

Seems to me, a truly savvy buyer would observe all this and go for something that actually works right out of the box, say, a universal/BluRay (modded Oppo?) hooked via analog to a mainstream AVR. Want bigger amps, sure, why not? Add an Emotiva while you're at it; they make a proven-value power amp.

Forget being first on the block.

Forget the super cool GUI.

Forget stalking the forums demanding the unreasonable.

Doesn't take a great deal of homework to assemble working, value-priced HT components.

It's the speakers you should agonize over.

#7,838 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdX /forum/post/17751734

I don't have a dog in this fight, but...

Isn't it apparent that none of these smaller manufacturers are remotely in a position to deliver something as complex as a current-codec, full-featured, good-sounding, right-priced prepro - on time or otherwise? And for a dozen different reasons. For better or worse, only the biggest mainstream mfrs have resources to produce such pieces, and good business dictates that they take the form of AVRs, not separates. And even then, there are still handshake issues galore, because HDCP was rushed to market with no standards.

LOL riiiiiiiight.

#7,840 ·
I was gonna buy a UMC-1 or XMC-1 if they ever came out but have cancelled my pre-order - Instead Im going to keep my Marantz SR8001 and get a Oppo BDP-83 + an XPA-5 which should prove a better combo and that way I get to retain the native DSD support of my Marantz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.