EMOTIVA Thread Q&A [TECHNICAL TALK ONLY] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17196 Old 01-05-2007, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello forum...have you heard about the new Emotiva amps......RPA1 sounds pretty good to me.
Dual mono design....reasonable price.....should be on the market soon. Has anybody got moe info?

Anders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17196 Old 01-05-2007, 06:21 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It has exactly the same amps as the multichannel HT amps do only turned horizontally and with slightly larger transformers. They may not be available until late January versus mid-January. I have the 7 channel MPS amp and it is a rock of an amp. I may change processors, but I'm keeping that amp.

It is pretty though and love the meters!
post #3 of 17196 Old 01-05-2007, 06:44 AM

PAD,

What don't you like about the processor, it is on my short list. I'm going to get the MPS-1 soon.
post #4 of 17196 Old 01-06-2007, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

It has exactly the same amps as the multichannel HT amps do only turned horizontally and with slightly larger transformers. They may not be available until late January versus mid-January. I have the 7 channel MPS amp and it is a rock of an amp. I may change processors, but I'm keeping that amp.

It is pretty though and love the meters!

I think there are some slight changes, thus the big difference in specs.
post #5 of 17196 Old 01-06-2007, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

Use the search function, you'll find more info about Emotiva.

But better yet, go check out www.av123forum.com. That's where your Emotiva user community is, since AV123 sold Emotiva products until a couple months ago when Emotiva went solo.

I can tell you this, you're going to have a very hard time finding anyone who's heard or owned Emotiva amps and doesn't like them. I'm thrilled with my LPA-1. Great products, great company. They're still experiencing some minor growing pains but they're totally cool and they sure know how to build an amp.
post #6 of 17196 Old 01-06-2007, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I should have my MPS-1 on Monday. I started with the chassis and two epm-300 monoblocks for now to drive my Axiom m80's. Later plan to add another mono for the center, followed by 2 of their 2-channel modules for the 4 surround speakers.

They are a great company (product), that have great reviews.

My Website
post #7 of 17196 Old 01-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The guys at Emotiva know audio and make the best bang for the buck to hit the market yet.The products they make set the standard in their price range.It's not that I'm a fanboy,they had to prove it to me,they did.
post #8 of 17196 Old 01-10-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack View Post

I should have my MPS-1 on Monday. I started with the chassis and two epm-300 monoblocks for now to drive my Axiom m80's. Later plan to add another mono for the center, followed by 2 of their 2-channel modules for the 4 surround speakers.

What do they charge for the chassis? I see the EPM-300 goes for $199. I'm thinking of maybe getting three monoblocks now for my fronts, and two for the surrounds later. I don't see a 3 or 5 channel option for the MPS-1 on their order page.
post #9 of 17196 Old 01-10-2007, 09:50 AM

I recently spoke to Emotiva about the same thing. They quoted me $1300 for the MPS-1 in a 5 channel config so I would think that it would be $900 for a 3 channel.
post #10 of 17196 Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 AM

I am really close to pulling the trigger and buying the combination of the DMC-1 & MPS-1.

I am building my 1st AV system, and would like some feedback.

My speaker sales rep is going to bring a B&K AVR 507 over so that we can compare to the Big Dogs, and is quite confident that I will prefer the sound of the B&K.

I am planning to pair the Emotiva with the Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers for the front, and the Gallo Reference AV's for the center and rear channels in a 5.1 configuration.

I have read that a number of people have used the Yamaha integrated AV receiver, I think it is the 2700, or 2600 as a Pre/Pro with the Emotiva MPS-1, opposed to going with the DMC-1.

Does anyone have experience with using another PRE/PRO with the Emotiva MPS-1?
post #11 of 17196 Old 01-14-2007, 06:50 AM

I've used a Denon AVR-4800 as a pre/pro with an LPA-1. I can tell you that using the LPA-1 instead of the Denon's internal amps really opened up things up soundstage wise and overall sound quality improved.

I then switched the Denon out for the DMC-1 and that blew the doors off the Denon as far as sound quailty goes. A new level of detail was heard and the wife, who graduated with a degree in Vocal Music, was finally happy when listening to well made CDs and DVDs.

You won't be disappointed with the DMC-1, not in the least. I did find that both the DMC-1 and the LPA-1 opened up after 80-100 hours of use, so when doing your comparison I would recommend you make sure they have been used at least that long (I'd do the same for the B&K as well - some people say there is no burn in time for solid state electronics - my experience is that there is.)

I listened to a Ref 50S2 when shopping for a pre-amp so I'm interested to hear how you feel the DMC-1 and the 507 compare.

Hope this helps

SCG
post #12 of 17196 Old 01-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=RuggSkins]I am really close to pulling the trigger and buying the combination of the DMC-1 & MPS-1.

I am building my 1st AV system, and would like some feedback.

My speaker sales rep is going to bring a B&K AVR 507 over so that we can compare to the Big Dogs, and is quite confident that I will prefer the sound of the B&K.

I had a ref50II hooked to a Rotel 1095,unless the 507 somehow can beat that your sales rep may be in for a surprise.
post #13 of 17196 Old 01-14-2007, 08:12 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCiscoGuy View Post

... I did find that both the DMC-1 and the LPA-1 opened up after 80-100 hours of use, so when doing your comparison I would recommend you make sure they have been used at least that long (I'd do the same for the B&K as well - SCG

Anytime I read or hear these types of statements, I initially think that there is something "different" or "unusual" about that piece of equipment being talked about. As the real burn in that is taking place is taking place in your head. So what was it about that piece of equipment that was so different from neutral, that required 100 hours of listening to it before somebody became used to it???

What this statement says to me is that Emotiva equipment has an odd or unusual sound that takes a LONG time to get used to.
post #14 of 17196 Old 01-14-2007, 09:29 AM

Has anyone compared to the LPA1 (the $500 amp) to a used amp of comparable price, ie. a rotel, outlaw, acurus, etc? I'm in the market for an entry-level multi-channel but am not sure which direction to go. Is a used amp the sold for $1200-$1500 better than the $500 LPA1? Any opinions would be appreciated.
post #15 of 17196 Old 01-14-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atdamico View Post

Anytime I read or hear these types of statements, I initially think that there is something "different" or "unusual" about that piece of equipment being talked about. As the real burn in that is taking place is taking place in your head. So what was it about that piece of equipment that was so different from neutral, that required 100 hours of listening to it before somebody became used to it???

What this statement says to me is that Emotiva equipment has an odd or unusual sound that takes a LONG time to get used to.

I had the same experience with the Denon (letting it burn in) as well as the Yamaha RX-V2095 I had before that. It is entirely possible that it is just me getting used to the sound of any of them, or it is entirely possible that burn in is required...

SCG
post #16 of 17196 Old 01-14-2007, 05:43 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I had the same experience with the Denon (letting it burn in) as well as the Yamaha RX-V2095 I had before that. It is entirely possible that it is just me getting used to the sound of any of them, or it is entirely possible that burn in is required...

SCG

Funny, but I also have a Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver in my bedroom HT. I have owned it for about 9 years, bought it brand spanking new, and it sounds exactly the same today as it did the day I bought it. Also, I have a Denon 3806 in my media room (although I am about to replace it) it also sounds exactly like it did the day I bought it. So, you see, its easy to get varying opinions from different people, about the exact same equipment. The only way to tell for sure is with measured, repeatable, testing. And if you can point me to any data that supports the fact that caps or wires need to burn in or that there is any audible difference in sound, I would love to see that data. There have been and will continue to be, hundreds of posts on various threads, here over the years, where significant data has been presented by serious engineers that support the fact that beyond a few seconds or minutes, there is no significant, audible, break in occuring in speakers, wires, or solid state electronics. Stories to the contrary are anecedotal. So, I will stand by my earlier statement that whenever I hear someone make a claim that their gear sounded significantly different after 100 hours of break in, I either suspect the objectivity of the person, or there is something seriously wrong with that gear!
post #17 of 17196 Old 01-15-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atdamico View Post

Funny, but I also have a Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver in my bedroom HT. I have owned it for about 9 years, bought it brand spanking new, and it sounds exactly the same today as it did the day I bought it. Also, I have a Denon 3806 in my media room (although I am about to replace it) it also sounds exactly like it did the day I bought it. So, you see, its easy to get varying opinions from different people, about the exact same equipment. The only way to tell for sure is with measured, repeatable, testing. And if you can point me to any data that supports the fact that caps or wires need to burn in or that there is any audible difference in sound, I would love to see that data. There have been and will continue to be, hundreds of posts on various threads, here over the years, where significant data has been presented by serious engineers that support the fact that beyond a few seconds or minutes, there is no significant, audible, break in occuring in speakers, wires, or solid state electronics. Stories to the contrary are anecedotal. So, I will stand by my earlier statement that whenever I hear someone make a claim that their gear sounded significantly different after 100 hours of break in, I either suspect the objectivity of the person, or there is something seriously wrong with that gear!

I respect your opinion and agree to disagree. It may very well be me getting used to the equipment - and the information by it's nature is subjective in that I am the one hearing it and sharing my experience. To question the objectivity of someone based on the fact that their experience differs from yours when the topic by nature is subjective makes me Anyway, that's my last post in regards to this discussion...
post #18 of 17196 Old 01-16-2007, 11:09 AM

Trying to get thread back on track...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWDawg View Post

Has anyone compared to the LPA1 (the $500 amp) to a used amp of comparable price, ie. a rotel, outlaw, acurus, etc? I'm in the market for an entry-level multi-channel but am not sure which direction to go. Is a used amp the sold for $1200-$1500 better than the $500 LPA1? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Any feedback on Emotiva products? Likes or dislikes on pre? Comparisons to other brands?
post #19 of 17196 Old 01-16-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post

The guys at Emotiva know audio and make the best bang for the buck to hit the market yet.The products they make set the standard in their price range.It's not that I'm a fanboy,they had to prove it to me,they did.

I agree 100%. The LPA1 amp is just sick for the money. And the UL stack is so good in terms of overall SQ that's it's just plain silly to buy an AVR in the $800 - 1100 price range. Again, I'm talking about SQ only - not bells & whistles.
post #20 of 17196 Old 01-16-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWDawg View Post

UWD - Used, let alone new, MC amps in the $500 are hard to find. There is no risk (other than hurting your back) to try the LPA1 in your home. I doubt that you'll want to return it. I also own a Butler 5150, and the LPA1 plays very close to the $3300 Butler. The LPA1 has considerably more power than advertised. It generally does not draw attention to itself except with bass, where it excels in my setup with SF Cremona. (YES, sometimes I pair this $500 amp with the $9K Cremonas. The synergy is surprisingly good.)

In any case, used Rotels run a bit more and will have less power.
Acurus are pretty scarce. Outlaw will also be in the 7 x 125 watt range. NAD has QC issues.
post #21 of 17196 Old 01-20-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:

I've used a Denon AVR-4800 as a pre/pro with an LPA-1. I can tell you that using the LPA-1 instead of the Denon's internal amps really opened up things up soundstage wise and overall sound quality improved.

I then switched the Denon out for the DMC-1 and that blew the doors off the Denon as far as sound quailty goes. A new level of detail was heard and the wife, who graduated with a degree in Vocal Music, was finally happy when listening to well made CDs and DVDs.

You won't be disappointed with the DMC-1, not in the least. I did find that both the DMC-1 and the LPA-1 opened up after 80-100 hours of use, so when doing your comparison I would recommend you make sure they have been used at least that long (I'd do the same for the B&K as well - some people say there is no burn in time for solid state electronics - my experience is that there is.)

I listened to a Ref 50S2 when shopping for a pre-amp so I'm interested to hear how you feel the DMC-1 and the 507 compare.

Hope this helps

SCG

The Emotiva MPS-1 and DMC=1 arrived yesterday, and I am waiting for the Gallo REF 3.1 & REF AVs to arrive next week. I am having an eletrician install a separate circuit to support the power drain of the MPS-1.

I am very excited to hear how it sounds, and hope I won't be disappointed.

I will let you know how it sounds and how it compares to the B&K AVR 507.
post #22 of 17196 Old 01-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I will be receiving am emotiva dmc-1 on tuesday. I am going to use it to hopefully replace my rotel 1098. I am using a gemstone amp. the rotel is a great processor but i do not like the screen which constantly turns on and off during a movie. I orfered the emotiva at a fantastic price. Less than currently advertised.
The engineer who answered the phone at emotiva assured me that the dmc=1 has better internal components and processing than the rotel and that i should be completely satisfied with its performance.
I consider myself a critical listener ( except to my wife ) and will post a review soon.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #23 of 17196 Old 01-27-2007, 01:01 PM

Impressions of you DMC-1 yet?
post #24 of 17196 Old 01-31-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Impressions of you DMC-1 yet?

I want to know the same thing because I am thinking on the same lines as going with the Emotiva DMC-1 & MPS-1 combo.

Thank You,
Richard
post #25 of 17196 Old 01-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well i have had my dcm-1 for a few days now and it is fantastic for the price. Is it better than the Rotel 1098? Hard to say, but it fits better in my system than the rotel. It sounds every bit as good imo than the rotel for movies, I do not listen to much music.
The unit operates perfect and is very easy to configure. It has all the options that need. I am not using the hdmi switcher. The software has to be upgraded for the switcher to work. I am happy with the performance now and will not be upgrading the software.
Have i mentioned that the processor looks even better in person than in pictures. I also got it for less than the advertised price with free shipping. It is really hard to beat. Sure there are better processors but nothing i have seen comes close for this very low price.
I will post pics soon.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #26 of 17196 Old 01-31-2007, 06:23 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Liked: 103
I just received my LPA-1 today and man is it a BEAST!! I am using my Pioneer 1014 as a pre-amp. To my ears so far, the LPA-1 sound similar to the Pioneer, but I have more headroom with the LPA-1. I like to listen to music in 7-channel stereo except DVD-A and DTS material. I think for the headroom and the fact I listen to redbook material in 7 channel stereo, this may be worth it for me. Although, the 1014 can hold its own! I have 30 days to make a decision. I will say that this amp is built like a tank!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #27 of 17196 Old 01-31-2007, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had my MPS-1 now for a few weeks. I ordered the chassis with to epm-300 monoblocks for now, with plans to add additional mono's and the 2 channel modules in the near future. I know why they call this one of the big dogs over at av123, what a beast, and talk about top quality components.

It makes my Axiom 80's just sing. I'm a happy camper.

My Website
post #28 of 17196 Old 01-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Gov,

I am trying to decide whether there is a significant difference between the Pioneer amps and using a discrete amp like MPS-1.

I have some B&W CDM Monitors that seem to play best when listened to at -10db from reference level. Movies always sound good, but I like to listen to music - both multi-channel and 2-channel stereo. When I push the B&W, they seem to distort and I am wondering if it is really the amp and not the speakers. I am using a Def Tech sub, so it is not the low frequencies.

THese speakers have a sweet mid-range and I prefer them to the "in-your-face" tweeter that the Nautilus family has.

I wonder if a better amp with a little more juice will pay off. I can probably get a new amp past the other half, but no way can I get new speakers. Besides, I would get Dynaudio and that would be too much to justify - though the wife just bought a horse...hmmmm???...

What is the real difference between the 1014 and the MPS-1? It should be significant, I would think.
post #29 of 17196 Old 01-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Liked: 103
Its early yet and I have not done a lot of critic listening yet, however, what is immediately noticable is headroom. It is NOT a huge difference with my efficient 8 ohm Ascend Acoustic speakers, but its different. The amp sounds very similar to the Pioneer amp. I need to give it some more time. I'll post back.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #30 of 17196 Old 01-31-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

Is it better than the Rotel 1098? Hard to say, but it fits better in my system than the rotel. It sounds every bit as good imo than the rotel for movies, I do not listen to much music.

Curious if you could elaborate a little more when you get some time in. I am really curious how well music sounds both HT and 2 channel. Anyone else have any experience with the Emotiva's and their impressions of its musical sound as well as its 2 channel and direct mode.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Xpr 1 , Emotiva Xmc 1 , Emotiva Audio Corporation , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 1 Monoblock Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page