post #31 of 50 Old 01-13-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEDONIC View Post

What model do you have and specifically what parts are you looking for part numbers for?

I can help you.

can you help me ANHEDONIC,

do you know if the 3806 is 7.1 PCM capable through hdmi???? I cannot find a direct answer for this...I read that some say yes and most others say no so Im confused...Do you work for Denon?

Take care,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 01-13-2007, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
and I guess I need the temp controlled fan since mine is squealing after about 90 minutes of use.

post #33 of 50 Old 01-13-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian27 View Post

can you help me ANHEDONIC,

do you know if the 3806 is 7.1 PCM capable through hdmi???? I cannot find a direct answer for this...I read that some say yes and most others say no so Im confused...Do you work for Denon?

It has HDMI 1.1 which can pass up to 8 (7.1) channels of uncompressed PCM audio.
post #34 of 50 Old 01-14-2007, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post

It has HDMI 1.1 which can pass up to 8 (7.1) channels of uncompressed PCM audio.

This is what I thought too but when I watched the movie "The Decent" which the PS3 outputs as 7.1 LPCM my 3806 only shows up as 5.1 on the front LCD screen and in the "on screen menu" soo...what does this mean??? Shouldn't it show up as 7.1 or am I missing something?? Unfortunately Denon won't get back too me and I have not been able to get through by phone when I have called. If it "FOR SURE" doesn't do 7.1 through hdmi and LPCM then I will want to return it.

Thanks,
Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #35 of 50 Old 01-14-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:

This is what I thought too but when I watched the movie "The Decent" which the PS3 outputs as 7.1 LPCM my 3806 only shows up as 5.1 on the front LCD screen and in the "on screen menu" soo...what does this mean??? Shouldn't it show up as 7.1 or am I missing something?? Unfortunately Denon won't get back too me and I have not been able to get through by phone when I have called. If it "FOR SURE" doesn't do 7.1 through hdmi and LPCM then I will want to return it.

Thanks,
Brian

Blue Ray Descent is 6.1 LPCM (at least US version). Does your 3806 indicate 7.1 with intro PS3 music? Fall of Man game should offer 7.1 too.

Cheers,
Kishore
post #36 of 50 Old 01-14-2007, 10:09 AM

I sent my Denon 3805 for repairs under warranty for a non-functioning speaker outlet. It took them three months to get the repair done, and the repair lasted a week. Dealing with their repair outlet in Portland was truly awful.

Next time I get a Denon I may get it through a dealer instead of mail order as I think my dealer would be helpful in going after these clowns.

Terrible service. Terrible manuals. Good product when it works.
post #37 of 50 Old 01-14-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstonhill View Post

I sent my Denon 3805 for repairs under warranty for a non-functioning speaker outlet. It took them three months to get the repair done, and the repair lasted a week. Dealing with their repair outlet in Portland was truly awful.

Next time I get a Denon I may get it through a dealer instead of mail order as I think my dealer would be helpful in going after these clowns.

Terrible service. Terrible manuals. Good product when it works.

Did you have it at Inner Sound in Portland?
post #38 of 50 Old 01-14-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Has anyone else had problems with Denon's customer service? They seem not to answer my single 3 question email regarding my 3806 ...

Brian

The horrible Denon customer service is but one of a number of reasons I returned my Denon AVR 987 for a Onkyo TX-SR804.

Louisp

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #39 of 50 Old 01-15-2007, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstonhill View Post

That's your problem. Don't blame the symptoms; blame the disease.

Not too many people purchasing A-stock merchandise from real dealers have these concerns, just so you are aware. Be glad they bothered to even look at it at all; that's a departure from years' past.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #40 of 50 Old 01-15-2007, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by schticker View Post

That's your problem. Don't blame the symptoms; blame the disease.

Not too many people purchasing A-stock merchandise from real dealers have these concerns, just so you are aware. Be glad they bothered to even look at it at all; that's a departure from years' past.

Isnt that the damn truth. Finally an intelligent response!
post #41 of 50 Old 01-15-2007, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are there any A-stock dealers that will come off MSRP for Denon?

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #42 of 50 Old 01-15-2007, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

Are there any A-stock dealers that will come off MSRP for Denon?

Sure there are, there are lots of them that will. But you won't find any of them selling them that way online because it's against their dealer agreements with Denon. So what do you need to do. Spend the time to pick up the phone and make a actual phone call to a few of the authorized dealers, or visit some local authorized dealers in person.
post #43 of 50 Old 01-15-2007, 07:56 PM
EdS

When I was shopping for a 4306 I sent an email requesting their best price to all of the authorized dealers & custom installer within a 75 mile radius, most came back with at least a 10% discount, one replied back with a 25% discount. Probably took less than 30 minutes of my time to look up and send out the emails.
post #44 of 50 Old 01-16-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdS View Post

When I was shopping for a 4306 I sent an email requesting their best price to all of the authorized dealers & custom installer within a 75 mile radius, most came back with at least a 10% discount, one replied back with a 25% discount. Probably took less than 30 minutes of my time to look up and send out the emails.

Perfect example of how to use the net and your local dealer network.

Dealers aren't stupid. They know there is competition from mail order, but they also know (not that most customers listen to them) what the ramifications are service-wise purchasing from grey channels. Expect price competition from locals. If you don't get it or get an arrogant response or answer, step. Just don't throw it in the dealer's face. Try to be a human being and build some sort of relationship that's win-win. That's all business is, not the customer saying "I've got some money in my pocket, now bendova."

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #45 of 50 Old 01-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

you guys aren't kidding. now going on 1 hour on hold with them. what is there one guy answering phones?

i'm afraid to send this 2807 back for repair. maybe i can replace the HDMI connectors myself.

"Why am I Mr. Pink?"
post #46 of 50 Old 01-16-2007, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

FINALLY!!!!, Denon just got back to my emails after a little over 2wks...I was asking if the 3806 could process a 7.1 LPCM signal and he wanted to know what 7.1 source I was using so I then sent anther email to him telling him about the PS3 that I have and the movies I had put in..."The decent" and "crank". I told him that these movies are 6.1 LPCM but that the PS3 showed them as being 7.1 LPCM and that the Denon 3806 didnt show 7.1... or 6.1 LPCM for that matter...only showed up as 5.1. I just now got the his next response and he asked..."Did you hit the 5.1/7.1 button because the denon cant switch to that in pcm". Now...I have know idea what 5.1/7.1 button he is talking about so I sent him another email and will wait to see what he says.

-Does anyone who owns the 3806 know what button he is talking about ???

Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #47 of 50 Old 07-08-2009, 01:34 PM

In short, I have had THE MOST negative experience of my life with both DENON customer service representative D&M HOLDINGS, as well as my brand new AVR-1909. After purchasing my unit in Sacramento (no local DENON dealers), more than 5 hours away from my home I hooked everything up and everything worked for 20 minutes tops. I attempted to return the unit to the store (BEST BUY) but they have no means to accept shipping returns, so I turned to DENON corporate, relying on their reputation to take care of this situation. I would have to drive 10+ hours, get a hotel room, and pay for gas to return an item that worked for less than 1/2 hour.

I contacted D&M Holdings, who are the corporate headquarters for DENON as well as other high quality audio equipment. I spoke with Mary St. John about the problem, and suggested that since the unit was BRAND NEW and obviously failed as a result of a faulty part that they send out a new unit instead of making me wait for a repair. I was told the turn around for repairs was approximately 1 month. I informed her that waiting 1 month for something that has only worked for 20 minutes was unreasonalbe. When I asked to speak to her supervisor, she told me that she was the supervisor and there was no one else for me to talk to... However, she did offer to place my unit to the front of the repair queue upon arrival and return it to me via next day air. This occured 5/1/2009. I was just informed today after I called that my unit had shipped out July 1...and not even overnight as promised. Lets see...average time is 30 days, but being placed in front of other repairs should get things out a little quicker than that...however over 9 weeks later I still do not have the unit. Needless to say, the item wasn't even shipped overnight, and I doubt it was placed in the front of the queue. What a worthless company with no regard for people spending their hard earned money during tough economic times.

I would suggest to those of you considering buying a DENON product, that you buy an alternative... I know Yamaha has great products and service, among manny other offerings. I would stongly advise that purchases of DENON, McIntosh, Marantz, Snell, Escent, and Allen&Heath be avoided at all costs as their US service center representatives D&M HOLDINGS misleads consumers and offer the POORSET customer service I have recieved during my 36 years on this earth.

I plan on selling this receiver...most likely at a loss, and I personally will never own another DENON product in my life.

MARY ST. JOHN
LEAD OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR
mstjohn@dm-holdings-na.com
T 201.762.6660 F 973.771.2009
post #48 of 50 Old 07-08-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The only customer service of a mainstream receiver manufacturer (Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, Pioneer, HK, Denon) that I've had a good experience with is HK. Luckily, Denon receivers are pretty well built so you rarely need to get someone on the phone.
post #49 of 50 Old 07-08-2009, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I agree with you amdorsch. I bought a Denon AVR 3300 receiver a number of years ago. Shortly after the warranty expired it started making a high pitched squealing sound after running for a couple of hours, or about the length of time for an average movie. No big deal if you only watch one movie, but if a game is on then I had to deal with this annoying noise for the second half. Anyway, I sent them a letter explaining my situation and did not even ask for them to pay for anything. I was more than willing to pay for this repair but they wouldn't even give me the courtesy of a response. Like you, I will not purchase a Denon product ever again. I've got my eye on one of the new Pioneer Elite receivers. ;^)

post #50 of 50 Old 02-25-2013, 04:42 PM

I am just now going through an issue with an AVR-2312 that is in the shop for the 4th time. Denon is telling me today that there is nothing wrong with it......They try to blame my speakers, try to blame the wires, everything but their receiver. The real kicker is that I upgraded from an AVR-1802 that worked perfectly with those same items for years.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page