Denon's customer service issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 01-05-2007, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else had problems with Denon's customer service? They seem not to answer my single 3 question email regarding my 3806 ...

Brian

Take care,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 01-05-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Yeah Denon blows potato monkeys.
Five28 likes this.
post #3 of 50 Old 01-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Great, I am getting ready to try out a 3806. At least I don't have to keep it if I don't like it or have problems with customer service.

FWIW, I emailed a question to Marantz about the 8001 and received a reply from one of their relatively senior (by title anyway) marketing people within an hour. I was impressed. I wish I could find a place to buy one that I could try it out for 30 days (as with the Denon).
post #4 of 50 Old 01-05-2007, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

htpartyshack, the 3806 is a good reciever but as an example about the customer service....I have already gotten 3 replies back from audyssey who answered my questions on using my SMS-1 with the 3806 and still none from denon even though I E-mailed them first( like a week ago) ! I wanted to know if the 3806 could output a 7.1 PCM signal through HDMI and if there was a problem with too low of a LFE channel with a PCM signal that others with different recievers such as pioneer were having...though now I am pretty sure that Denon avr's dont have this issue. Oh yea...I also was trying to ask them if the 3806 could handle 4ohm speakers without a problem just in case I happen to get 4ohm speakers when I upgrade from my 8ohm Polks. I told them if they could let me know about these questions as quickly as possible so I dont end up not liking or damaging something but.......still no response !

Take care,
Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #5 of 50 Old 01-05-2007, 07:59 PM

Brian - I would really like to know what audyssey said regarding the SMS-1, as I have one too. I am planning on setting up the subs first then running audyssey . . . thanks.
post #6 of 50 Old 01-05-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpartyshack View Post

Brian - I would really like to know what audyssey said regarding the SMS-1, as I have one too. I am planning on setting up the subs first then running audyssey . . . thanks.

Audyssey said to do what you are going to do, set up the sms-1 first and then run the auto setup on the avr. This is what I did... After I ran the auto setup I hooked the sms-1 back up to see what it did at my main listening position. The x-overs the auto setup gave me and freq. response made me decide to Eq with the sms-1 again using those x-over figures and then run the auto setup again. After doing all this everything turned out great. Im waiting for audyssey to get back to me again to see if it is ok to adjust the phase on the sms-1 after running the auto setup without screwing things up so then you would not have to EQ with the sms-1 a second time because the phase adjustment should flatten the frequency response out around the x-over point with the main speakers...at least it would have for me but I was unsure so I just did it all twice.

Take care,
Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #7 of 50 Old 01-06-2007, 05:10 AM

thanks Brian - good luck with the 3806 . . . and enjoy.
post #8 of 50 Old 01-06-2007, 08:15 AM

Liked: 13
I too experienced bad service from Denon for my 2106!
Ditched Denon and got HK 635
Five28 likes this.
post #9 of 50 Old 01-06-2007, 08:37 AM

too big a company to have great customer service. I have found smaller companies in general have better customer service. I have Definitive Technology speakers and always get great customer service. Same with B&K components. all though i have QSC amps and thats a giant and has good customer service. I guess ikt depends but in general smaller companies have better customer service.
Five28 likes this.
post #10 of 50 Old 01-06-2007, 11:45 AM

I called yesterday and after my call and asked for the CS manager to leave a complaint. I recevied her voicemail. I was on hold for 40 minutes then after 45 minutes they werent able to fix my problem. My other hold times have been 55minutes and also 1:05 before answering
post #11 of 50 Old 01-06-2007, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Figures... nickpoz, that sounds like what happend to me when I tried to call except I never got through and was also holding around 50min on the phone! Then I tried to e-mail(2 of them) and now its been over a week and still no reply from denon. Its funny to because Ive delt with other big companies such as Polk and Onkyo and OH YEA...Audyssey and never have had any issue,s like I do with denon. I mean why do they even say they have customer service help at denon when it seems they rarely even deal with anyone that buys there products .

Take care,
Brian
post #12 of 50 Old 01-07-2007, 06:15 PM

Liked: 11
Denon has had my AVR-4807 for over two months. When I get a hold of someone, I just get put back on hold.

At this point I don't know what else to do except to retain legal counsel.

I'm a pretty reasonable person, but when the company can't tell you when your getting your receiver back, and just put you back in the hold queue, what else can someone do.

It's amazing this company can do this at all with receivers priced this high.

-James
post #13 of 50 Old 01-07-2007, 08:35 PM

Hold times, not getting the right answers, different people at the same company tell me different things and asking me what my name was, eventhough I introduced my name (5 differet people) to each person fielding my call...

Thats Denon alright...I though it was only me, but I don't feel that bad now. Glad I am Denon Free :-)
Five28 likes this.
post #14 of 50 Old 01-07-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacdonald801 View Post

Denon has had my AVR-4807 for over two months. When I get a hold of someone, I just get put back on hold.

At this point I don't know what else to do except to retain legal counsel.

I'm a pretty reasonable person, but when the company can't tell you when your getting your receiver back, and just put you back in the hold queue, what else can someone do.

It's amazing this company can do this at all with receivers priced this high.

-James

I hate lawyers and I hate suing....

Hearing things like this drives me crazy! SUE THEM
post #15 of 50 Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey guys, since denon still has not responded to me and I have since sent more e-mails, does anyone know if the avr 3806 is capable of 7.1 pcm output through the hdmi connection ? I have heard different things. Also when watching a hd movie with the pcm signals which surround mode would be the best source...multichannel in, multichannel direct or multichannel pure direct? I am unsure if the multichannel pure direct or multichannel direct bypass the bass management or not .

Thanks,
Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #16 of 50 Old 01-08-2007, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

bump

Take care,
Brian
post #17 of 50 Old 01-09-2007, 06:00 AM

I had a call back from one of the main CS people at Denon, I didnt have a chance to return it yesterday but ill let you know how it goes
post #18 of 50 Old 01-09-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magawake View Post

Hold times, not getting the right answers, different people at the same company tell me different things and asking me what my name was, eventhough I introduced my name (5 differet people) to each person fielding my call...

Thats Denon alright...I though it was only me, but I don't feel that bad now. Glad I am Denon Free :-)

That's my experience too. Love their product but there's no support.
post #19 of 50 Old 01-09-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Folks....you're not giving me that warm & fuzzy feeling here about buying a Denon!
Five28 likes this.
post #20 of 50 Old 01-09-2007, 08:36 AM

I don't think some of these companies understand how far customer service goes. I'm having the same problem with sls. I emailed one of their electronic techs a while ago with a simple question, the speakers I have are labled 4 ohm but the literature and website says 6 ohm. I just want to know which is correct as I will be upgrading my receiver in the near future. That was the week between Christmas and New Years, still no answer. I'm glad I found this thread though, cross Denon off my receiver list because of one thread. I don't need the aggravation when other companies make equal products for the same or less money and have great customer service.
Five28 likes this.
post #21 of 50 Old 01-11-2007, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Can someone who actually got a response from denon via e-mail post the e-mail address you used to contact them....Please! I have tried a couple on their site but still have not gotten a response.

Thanks,
Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #22 of 50 Old 01-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian27 View Post

Can someone who actually got a response from denon via e-mail post the e-mail address you used to contact them....Please! I have tried a couple on their site but still have not gotten a response.

Thanks,
Brian

PM me your question. I happen to have a conference call tomorrow with one of their VP's. I will bring up your question and concerns. I do have direct emails and phone numbers, but I don't think that would be very appropriate to give out on a public forum.

I will also ask about the level of service. I do know for a fact (no excuses) that they are severly short-handed in CS and TS.
post #23 of 50 Old 01-11-2007, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Denon customer service is virtually non-existent. I have an AVR3300 (upgrading soon) and after a couple of years it started making a faint, hi-pitched squeal after being on for 90 minutes or more. I sent Denon an email asking about this and when I got no response, I resorted to a snail mail letter outlining my symptoms. I can understand when they don't answer emails because of the huge number they must get each day, but when a company doesn't even offer the courtesy of a response to an actual letter, then that is unacceptable in my opinion, and a reason that I will not purchase another Denon product.

post #24 of 50 Old 01-11-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I emailed Denon back maybe 6-9 months ago asking about the HDMI version, etc and got a response in 2-3 days IIRC. Answered all my questions.

I'm not a current Denon customer, but have definitely been shopping them and their fairly prompt response to my questions satisfied that angle (even if I wasn't quite happywith the answers, but that couldnt be helped by CSR).

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #25 of 50 Old 01-11-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post

PM me your question. I happen to have a conference call tomorrow with one of their VP's. I will bring up your question and concerns. I do have direct emails and phone numbers, but I don't think that would be very appropriate to give out on a public forum.

I will also ask about the level of service. I do know for a fact (no excuses) that they are severly short-handed in CS and TS.

I would love to know their opinion on keeping customers equipment for over two months and leaving them with nothing.

There stuff is not cheap. An AVR-4806 is at least not cheap to me.

I think there is some other guy on here who's been without his for over 3 months. At what point is it considered theft?

-James
Five28 likes this.
post #26 of 50 Old 01-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Advanced Member

I've got an AVR-3801. I have not had a single problem. If you spend $2,000 on a 4806, I would want a repaired/replaced receiver FedEx to me within a week. I wouldn't call 3 months theft. I would call it rent to own. They owe you some money.
post #27 of 50 Old 01-12-2007, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five28 View Post

Denon customer service is virtually non-existent. I have an AVR3300 (upgrading soon) and after a couple of years it started making a faint, hi-pitched squeal after being on for 90 minutes or more. I sent Denon an email asking about this and when I got no response, I resorted to a snail mail letter outlining my symptoms. I can understand when they don't answer emails because of the huge number they must get each day, but when a company doesn't even offer the courtesy of a response to an actual letter, then that is unacceptable in my opinion, and a reason that I will not purchase another Denon product.

Gee, I had one of those. The "squeal" is a well known problem on the 3300, and you can probably fix it yourself (BTW, I found Denon very helpful). The noise is from the temp. controlled fan. They had a bunch with bad fans. You can order a new fan. If you are used to working on stuff like this - or on computers - you can install the fan yourself with only a little bending of metal. Probably not worth it, but it doesn't cost very much to fix.
post #28 of 50 Old 01-12-2007, 09:38 PM

Liked: 15
Chenrikson,
I posted a question on this forum a couple of years ago and another guy responded that he had the same problem but he didn't have a solution and sold his unit. Since I never got a reply from Denon, how did you find out that it was the temp controlled fan? And where do I find out about the repair (part numbers, etc). Thanks

post #29 of 50 Old 01-13-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

The Denon Customer Service/Technical Support call center is now fielding over 750 calls a day.... You have to understand, the call center supports both Denon and Marantz products as both companies operate under the same holding company... They are working on increasing the number of Customer Support/Technical Support reps as we speak...

Ever since Christmas ended... The number of incomming calls have increased drastically.... Circuit City just recently carrying Denon's line has also increased our volume drastically....

The call center goes online everyday at 9 AM EST and between 9AM and 11AM are probably the easiest times to get through (with the shortest wait time)...

I for one understand people being upset but can tell you that the level of Customer Service WILL be improving in the near future....

Sorry to those of you who had a bad experience....
post #30 of 50 Old 01-13-2007, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five28 View Post

Chenrikson,
I posted a question on this forum a couple of years ago and another guy responded that he had the same problem but he didn't have a solution and sold his unit. Since I never got a reply from Denon, how did you find out that it was the temp controlled fan? And where do I find out about the repair (part numbers, etc). Thanks

What model do you have and specifically what parts are you looking for part numbers for?

I can help you.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page