HELP! My A/V Receiver POPPING! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I almost exclusively use my SONY STR-DE835 A/V Receiver for the Sound System for my TV - which is delivered from DISH Network via one of their HD Receivers, the 211.......an Optical Digital cable runs from it to the A/V Receiver.
Yesterday, I heard a frightening POP when I turned on the A/V Receiver along with the TV and Dish receiver...............then in a little while and even BIGGER terrible noise..........then the A/V Receiver quit delivering sound and the regular "TV/SAT" on it's screen changed to a Flashing "PROTECTOR". Later that evening I tried the A/V System again and it worked as it has for years w/o further popping. Then tonight when I turned everything on again - POP - same thing as last night, but it continued to operate properly for several hours....then a TERRIBLE NOISE.....then "PROTECTOR" started flashing again and I am back to using the sound system in my HDTV set.
I just had a thought for a test.....and I turned my A/V Receiver on using the Radio button instead of TV/SAT....and I got that POP even doing that.....that tells me that it must not be the signal from the DISH 211 causing this problem eh? Can someone PLEASE advise me as to what might be causing this and IF there is a solution? Since I now know that it is more than related to the TV Sound signal etc.....could it be that it means that this A/V Receiver is "dieing" - - -time flies, it must be 7-8 years old now???

TKS Michael

PS - The manual for my A/V Receiver says NOTHING about this flashing "PROTECTOR" mode and does not cover anything like this in the little trouble-shooting that it does cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2007, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Check your speaker wiring it sounds like a short in the speaker wires is causing the avr to go into protection mode.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd say you are probably about to do a search for a new receiver on this here forum. I'd quit using it before you are also having to go to the speaker forum to search for new speakers.

"Did you make 'em fine-ass-soundin' speakers over there what would sound gooder than hell comin' out of the back of my truck-boat-truck?"

-Early Cuyler. Poet Liquoreate
Old 01-05-2007, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I'd quit using it before you are also having to go to the speaker forum to search for new speakers.

Why would he need new speakers if the avr is the one that is going into protection mode?, and can be easily fixed by checking the wires and it is such an easy thing to look for.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

THANKS for the tip - will do that tomorrow - is the main thing to look for that would cause a short - - - speaker wires that may be now touching each other, something like that????

TKS Michael

PS - - - the other fella, hit it on the head, I was just pricing NEW Receivers on EBay when I came back and read that it just might be a short (makes sense] maybe my cat moved something back there.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well - I NEED more knowledgeable advice - PLEASE! Today, I spent time trying to SEE if I could find where speaker wires on back of receiver and at the speakers themselves could be touching each other and causing a short - thus causing my POPPING and Shut Down Problem. I could NOT find anything obvious to me.....does this mean that my Receiver has to be replaced?

THANKS Michael
Old 01-06-2007, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz View Post

Why would he need new speakers if the avr is the one that is going into protection mode?, and can be easily fixed by checking the wires and it is such an easy thing to look for.

Uh, you assume that it's a short. Wouldn't it be nice if receivers popping and going into protection mode ALWAYS meant a minor wiring issue? It sure would be nice.

Receiver may just be bad. Take a multimeter to the speakers.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well - I am definitely NO Electronics Engineer and thus I know ZILCH about what has happened and what to look for - - - in ALL these years, I'm 67, I have NEVER had any of my Receivers start POPPING like this.
1] I checked ALL speaker connections and they were FINE.
2] I went to Sony site and they had some tips about possibly troubleshooting receivers in PROTECTION Mode. One was check speaker connections [done]; two, disconnect the plug in to the receiver for at least 2 hours to "drain the transformers"?? - - - done, but did not solve the problem. three, disconnect all the speakers from the receiver and then start reconnecting them in order, testing as you go to see if still goes into protection mode [this I have not done yet]. Will know after that IF I need a NEW receiver.

I believe that I will have to buy a new A/V Receiver and am shopping at this time because I do not think that final test will stop the problem.

TKS Michael
Old 01-11-2007, 02:40 PM

After draining all the electricity out of it unplugging for the two hours, maybe try and take the top off and see if there's lots of dust in there. Maybe cleaning it will remove a short? Just a thought...
Old 01-11-2007, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

TKS for suggestions BUT must share this GOOD report, thanks be to God, because it may help one of ypu some day too.

I had read somewhere in me search for help with this - something about, it could be caused by, I believe too many things plugged into a circuit, something like that......so a little bit ago, I dug out another old Surge Protector that I had and unplugged the A/V Receiver from the Surge Protector that it was plugged into along with the TV and the Sat Receiver - and then gave the A/V Receiver basically it's own Surge Protector. WALA - thus far it has now fired up NORMALLY in TV/SAT and FM also - - - NO POPPING. THANK God! I definitely cannot afford another A/V Receiver.

TKS and BEST to ALL! Michael
Old 01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Dust won't cause a short unless you're cutting metal around it. It can cause overheating problems if it really piles up, though.

By the way, "dug out an old surge protector" probably means some no-name piece of crap that won't protect from anything. Do yourself a favor and get a real surge protector from Panamax or some other reputable company.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

UPDATE: I spoke too soon! The A/V Receiver is still POPPING and I am now shopping for a replacement.

TKS for ALL Constructive Advice, Michael
Old 01-12-2007, 02:34 PM

Did you do the final test? The one that will tell you if it's the speakers, wiring , or amp that is faulty?
Or did you ignore it, because you don't think it means anything?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Targus - you CAUGHT me, Hee Hee! NO I did not disconnect all my speakers from the back of my Receiver and start reconnecting them - in order to rule out or rule in speakers as a problem. I, no doubt, probably should - BUT, I am "guessing" that it is NOT the speakers. Might be wrong - have been a few times before.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:13 AM

If it pops after you run it for awhile, it may mean at least one of the internal wiring starts melting. That wire must have expanded by the receiver heat, and thus shorts with the neighboring wire. Sounds like you need to shop for a new receiver immediately.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz View Post

Well, the shorted receiver might blow up the speakers if the OP keeps using it.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:12 AM
axs
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post

Uh, you assume that it's a short. Wouldn't it be nice if receivers popping and going into protection mode ALWAYS meant a minor wiring issue? It sure would be nice.

Receiver may just be bad. Take a multimeter to the speakers.

Bad receiver is certainly a possibility, but nothing wrong with checking the obvious things first.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well - 2 days ago after I changed the wat I was plugging in the receiver; it did NOT POP at all that night, BIG time, now that I remember, when testing ON/OFF it did let out a little pop a few times when first turned ON - - - BUT did not FREAK me out later after being on. BUT last night it was unuseable right off the bat - turn on and then TERRIBLE noises in into Protection mode.

I am looking at the Onkyo 504 as possible replacement.

TKS Michael