Rotel Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1294 Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have got my 1058 last week,

I was getting crazy about onkyo 905 but I made my decision and changed to ROTEL 1058, Reciever is quite good but there is always some problems with alls brand on the world, this is my conclusion after the slight hi-fi damage in my brain.

Well, Sound-wise ROTEL 1058 is amazing , I have connected my mac with Airpor express via optical cable to the reciever ,and all the mp3s sound unbelievable.
In the same time, there are some weird things with ROTEL, like remote, I can not use it still , its not am old tech remote ,its not an new tech remote.

Secondly, I was trying to connect my hitachi cpx 445 1080i project to the reciever but that is not possible , when I connect directly to ps3 everythings great but via ROTEL 1058 ,so I will buy new one ,thx to ROTEL.

B&W and ROTEL gear fits really good, awesome music, I have also added 40cm RCF 705sub and more you listen more you hate anything then ( ROTEL & B&W ).

I have some SACDs anf DVD audio but I couldnt play them yet because ( thx to rotel again ) if you want to have hdmi audio out from rotel 1058, you have to have hdmi video out too , it does not seperates hdmi audio and video, this is quite interesting as well.

I am sure if I chose onkyo 905 , I couldnt get the current quality of the music ,but as a reciever I could get more with onkyo, for the music Rotel leads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1294 Old 10-09-2007, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I would REALLY like some more info on this unit. There has been almost no user reports on it. I have had conflicting information on what it actually does. When you connect your PS3 to it via and feed it multi channel LPCM, is it able to add bass management and speaker distance distance settings. Some people over in Club Rotel say it does not but none of them are owners. I also had my local dealer pose the question to the Rotel Rep and he was told that 90% do but some do not (something about the frequency used). I would love some real clarification on this.
post #273 of 1294 Old 10-09-2007, 07:18 AM

well, I think it adds bass management and speaker distance settings via optical but I will try with hdmi as soon as I get HD projector.
post #274 of 1294 Old 10-09-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

I would REALLY like some more info on this unit. There has been almost no user reports on it. I have had conflicting information on what it actually does. When you connect your PS3 to it via and feed it multi channel LPCM, is it able to add bass management and speaker distance distance settings. Some people over in Club Rotel say it does not but none of them are owners. I also had my local dealer pose the question to the Rotel Rep and he was told that 90% do but some do not (something about the frequency used). I would love some real clarification on this.

If you are talking about the 1058, then this is my understanding:
Any streaming PCM source over optical/coax - YES
Any streaming source over HDMI - YES
Able to decode the new HD sound standards over HDMI or digital - NO. This I'm not 100% sure about, because the manual makes no mention of the new standards. Only that it can decode the audio. I guess I assume this means it defaults to DTS.

The 1058 basically adds over the 1057 video scaling, 2 more HDMI ports, and audio decoding over HDMI, but does not support the HD audio standards, it also adds a couple more digital audio inputs and more multi-room support.

I stream about 5 different audio sources to my Rotel 1057 and have had no problems with it detecting the right signal. This includes on my MacMini media server, when I go in a play around with the output frequency, the Rotel picks it up right away.

Rotel posted the 1058 info last week on their site: http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rsx1058.htm
post #275 of 1294 Old 10-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

I am interested in the newest release from Rotel, the RSP-1069. It has listed only HDMI 1.1 and no ability to decode these new audio formats from DVD-HD and Blu-ray as opposed to the current crop of recievers being released from Denon, Pioneer and others with HDMI 1.3 and the ability to decode the surround formats within the processor/reciever

I am wondering about the new batch of surround formats currently listed on Blu-ray and HD DVD software. If the surround processor does not have the capablity to decode these audio formats they must be decoded within the player itself then sent via analog or digital connection to the player.

Is this a deal breaker for the Rotel processor? Will I have to purchase a new DVD player every time a new surround format is released or will the player have the ability to download new surround formats and features as they become available?

Is this a problem or am I overlooking something in the equation? Rotel states that it is not a concern but they have a bias with the product.

An added feature is that the 1069 will be able to output DVD-A through the digital connection.
post #276 of 1294 Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderx View Post

If you are talking about the 1058, then this is my understanding:
Any streaming PCM source over optical/coax - YES
Any streaming source over HDMI - YES
Able to decode the new HD sound standards over HDMI or digital - NO. This I'm not 100% sure about, because the manual makes no mention of the new standards. Only that it can decode the audio. I guess I assume this means it defaults to DTS.

The 1058 basically adds over the 1057 video scaling, 2 more HDMI ports, and audio decoding over HDMI, but does not support the HD audio standards, it also adds a couple more digital audio inputs and more multi-room support.

I stream about 5 different audio sources to my Rotel 1057 and have had no problems with it detecting the right signal. This includes on my MacMini media server, when I go in a play around with the output frequency, the Rotel picks it up right away.

Rotel posted the 1058 info last week on their site: http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rsx1058.htm

Well I know it can not decode the new Audio formats but the question lies in how it handles the already decoded digital multi channel audio via the HDMI inputs. Does it add any post processing to the signal or does it treat it as pass-through like the analog multi channel inputs. I may shoot Rotel any E-mail now that they have had time to do more testing.
post #277 of 1294 Old 10-09-2007, 09:31 AM

According to the manual (which you can download) it supports decoding of multi-channel audio over HDMI (you can select HDMI as an audio source on any of the inputs) OR you can select HDMI has pass-through. Either option.

One thing I'm unsure of, and the manual doesn't specifiy, is if the multi-channel pre-decoded source is handled. Dunno. HDMI version is 1.1. And there is a comment in the manual that says, "DVD-A high-resolution multichannel audio signals are automatically detected when using an HDMI connection." Not sure if this means pre-processed over HDMI. I wasn't actually aware you could send pre-processed audio over HDMI.

The way this receiver works is any digital source goes through the digital processing, so you can apply any of the bass management, delays, etc. Only analog bypass or multi-channel analog does not get processed. HOWEVER, there is an option on multi-channel analog to set a bass management feature to filter sub output.
post #278 of 1294 Old 10-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

spyderx;

HDMI version is 1.1. And there is a comment in the manual that says, "DVD-A high-resolution multichannel audio signals are automatically detected when using an HDMI connection." Not sure if this means pre-processed over HDMI. I wasn't actually aware you could send pre-processed audio over HDMI.

I stated in the previous reply that the 1069 is also listed to decode DVD-HD. I am assuming it is similar to the OPPO players that are able to pass DVD audio and SACD over the HDMI connection. It would appear the same concerns exist over the new Rotel reciever as their new pre/pro.
post #279 of 1294 Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is the e-mail I wrote to Rotel tech support.

Hello,

I am a proud owner of a RSX 1057 but am considering upgrading to the 1058. I need to get some solid information before I do. I am getting conflicting reports from different sources and I am hoping you can clear this up once and for all.

Now I know the 1058 cannot decode the new audio formats, ie. Dolby True HD etc. What I am wondering is how it handles the already decoded digital multi channel LPCM signal being fed to it via HDMI by a new HD DVD or Blu Ray player. Can it add post processing like bass management, speaker distance settings, and Dolby PLIIx to the high rez digital LPCM signal?

I believe this is important so you are not at the mercy of the player to handle this. I think some of the Blu Ray players do not even have bass management and speaker distance settings in them if I am not mistaken.

Now if it can not do post processing at this time, is it something that could be added as a firmware update later and is there any intentions on doing so?

Here is the response I received today.

Yes, the RSX-1058 handles the HDMI PCM stream as if it were any other digital PCM stream. You get post processing, bass management, etc

Best Regards,

Mr. Shane Kea

Rotel Service Supervisor

B&W Group USA

This is very good news but is also conflicting what is being reported over on the Club Rotel. I believe there has only been one actual owner to post on the forum. He reported he was not able to add Dolby PLIIx processing to a multi channel PCM signal(don't know if this was some kind of user error). Other than that I think everything else has been speculation.
post #280 of 1294 Old 10-13-2007, 04:03 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britcanuck View Post

Any potential news of a new version of the rsx-1067 coming soon that will be able to handle the new audio formats? (If I understand correctly hdmi 1.1 is all that's needed or analog inputs????, so hdmi 1.3 isn't really that big of a deal????)

Thanks!

You need 1.3 for passing 120 mhz video... amongst other things. I am a long time Rotel owner, but this was the nail in the coffin for my purchasing Rotel pre/pros or any Rotel product other than amps.

The Equity rep (Rotel's dist in Canada/US) said that 1.3 was a waste of $$$ and not at all necessary as there were no features in 1.3 that 1.1 didn't have. Nice logic...why would there have been a 1.2 & 1.3 is there were no changes????
post #281 of 1294 Old 10-13-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visiter555 View Post

You need 1.3 for passing 120 mhz video... amongst other things. I am a long time Rotel owner, but this was the nail in the coffin for my purchasing Rotel pre/pros or any Rotel product other than amps.

The Equity rep (Rotel's dist in Canada/US) said that 1.3 was a waste of $$$ and not at all necessary as there were no features in 1.3 that 1.1 didn't have. Nice logic...why would there have been a 1.2 & 1.3 is there were no changes????

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789994
post #282 of 1294 Old 10-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Posted this over at the Rotel owners forum.

OK, took these pics in a hurry, my place is still being renovated right now. My dealer dropped the 1069 as well as a pair of B&W CM7 speakers. So far, I have not hooked up any video sources yet. I'm waiting for my Pioneer Kuro to come in next week. Just music on the rotel RCD 1072 played through my CM1's. Being driven by a rmb-1075. Sounds fantastic. More later.

post #283 of 1294 Old 10-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

I read a few comments that disturbed me in the latest issue of widescreen review October issue. A review was given for the Panasonic Bluray player. Near the end of the article they covered the audio portion. They stated it could not pass any new audio formats because it only had HDMI 1.1.

I emailed Pansonic to get clarification on this and here is the reply,

Thank you for your e-mail

DMPBD10A can decode the new digital audio Dolby Digital True HD and DTS HD,
but it can only output them to the 7.1 analog outputs.

The signal cannot be output via HDMI in digital bitstream format.

Thanks.

Panasonic Canada Inc.

This information seems to be a problem then for the Rotel 1069 as the only way to recieve these audio formats from this player would seem to be from the analog ouputs as the RSP 1069 has HDMI 1.1.
post #284 of 1294 Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 AM

So I'll start!

I find that Rotel has far exceeded my expectations. Although the added headroom for the RMB-1095 would be nice!

Rotel: RSP-1066 & RMB-1075
Marantz: DV 6500
Velodyne: FSX-12
M&K: MX200
DTV: HR20
Monster Power: Signature HTPS7000
Vienna Acoustic: Strauss (mains) and Oratorio (Center)

post #285 of 1294 Old 10-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

I read a few comments that disturbed me in the latest issue of widescreen review October issue. A review was given for the Panasonic Bluray player. Near the end of the article they covered the audio portion. They stated it could not pass any new audio formats because it only had HDMI 1.1.

I emailed Pansonic to get clarification on this and here is the reply,

Thank you for your e-mail

DMPBD10A can decode the new digital audio Dolby Digital True HD and DTS HD,
but it can only output them to the 7.1 analog outputs.

The signal cannot be output via HDMI in digital bitstream format.

Thanks.

Panasonic Canada Inc.

This information seems to be a problem then for the Rotel 1069 as the only way to recieve these audio formats from this player would seem to be from the analog ouputs as the RSP 1069 has HDMI 1.1.

No - that is incorrect. As long as the Panasonic does the actual decoding, the resulting PCM can be sent to the Rotel via HDMI for post processing etc. - no problem.

The Panasonic can not send the new audio formats in their native form (undecoded) via Bitstream to a receiver of pre pro that has the new Hi Def audio codecs (like the new Onkyos) due to it's lack of HDMI 1.3.
post #286 of 1294 Old 10-21-2007, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I presume this thread is mainly for HT receivers. I have a question regarding the stereo receiver RX-1052. One of the reviewers in CNET had mentioned that there is some vibration that can be felt on the front panel.

I was just wondering if anyone here owns RX-1052 and if they have this vibration issue.
post #287 of 1294 Old 10-22-2007, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rkus View Post

No - that is incorrect. As long as the Panasonic does the actual decoding, the resulting PCM can be sent to the Rotel via HDMI for post processing etc. - no problem.

The Panasonic can not send the new audio formats in their native form (undecoded) via Bitstream to a receiver of pre pro that has the new Hi Def audio codecs (like the new Onkyos) due to it's lack of HDMI 1.3.

You're assuming that just because a device has a HDMI v1.1 connection, it supports all of the accompanying features. Just like the additional feature set of HDMI v1.3, this isn't necessarily true. A good example would be the XBox360 Elite, which has a HDMI v1.1 connection, but is unable to output multichannel PCM through that interface.

To the original poster: I have no idea if that particular Panasonic is capable of sending a multichannel PCM signal through HDMI, but just because it's v1.1, doesn't automaticially mean it can.

It has been confirmed the RSP-1069 is able to receive multichannel PCM through its HDMI connections.
post #288 of 1294 Old 10-22-2007, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the 1069 & can confirm that it will accept multichannel PCM through its HDMI inputs
post #289 of 1294 Old 10-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy911 View Post

You're assuming that just because a device has a HDMI v1.1 connection, it supports all of the accompanying features. Just like the additional feature set of HDMI v1.3, this isn't necessarily true. A good example would be the XBox360 Elite, which has a HDMI v1.1 connection, but is unable to output multichannel PCM through that interface.

To the original poster: I have no idea if that particular Panasonic is capable of sending a multichannel PCM signal through HDMI, but just because it's v1.1, doesn't automaticially mean it can.

It has been confirmed the RSP-1069 is able to receive multichannel PCM through its HDMI connections.

No guess - I have owned the Panasonic and it decodes and passes multi-channel PCM via HDMI just fine. In fact, ALL hi-def players to date have been able to pass multi-channel PCM via HDMI to date.
post #290 of 1294 Old 10-23-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rkus View Post

No guess - I have owned the Panasonic and it decodes and passes multi-channel PCM via HDMI just fine. In fact, ALL hi-def players to date have been able to pass multi-channel PCM via HDMI to date.

Sorry, I think you missed the point of my post. I wasn't arguing that the Panasonics cant output multi-channel PCM via HDMI - in fact I clearly wrote I have no idea if they can or not. The point is that the HDMI version of a player doesnt determine its features, just like having HDMI v1.3 connections doesn't necessarily mean Deep Color and Lipsync are supported.
post #291 of 1294 Old 10-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Completely agree
post #292 of 1294 Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 AM

Some Club Rotel forum owners are saying the 1069 is clipping/crushing the black levels over HDMI. Anyone have the same experience here? Is the 1058 receiver doing the same thing?
post #293 of 1294 Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctishue View Post

Some Club Rotel forum owners are saying the 1069 is clipping/crushing the black levels over HDMI. Anyone have the same experience here? Is the 1058 receiver doing the same thing?

Yes it is clipping blacks. Rotel is aware & is working on a fix via a firmware upgrade.
post #294 of 1294 Old 10-23-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Another reason why they should leave video processing OUT of the processors/receivers. Usually just ends up making things worse and creating more problems
post #295 of 1294 Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

Another reason why they should leave video processing OUT of the processors/receivers. Usually just ends up making things worse and creating more problems

I agree to an extent. I'm starting to ponder whether TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio are even worth worrying about having HDMI in the pre/pro and making sure it doesn't have any problems.
post #296 of 1294 Old 10-24-2007, 04:22 AM

Hey there,

Have some issues about my new Rotel RSX-1058 I would like to discuss. From what I can find out there seem to be some problem with my reciever because I have not found anyone else pointing out this problem. So on to the problem:

When connecting my Rotel RSX-1058 to my plasma Pioneer PDP-427 I will not get the OSD on the plasma. When connected with HDMI the picture from DVD is forwarded at any setting (720p; 1080i etc.) so no problem there. When the OSD is on from the reciever I get info on the screen that 480p signal is recieved but the screen is all blue. I also tried connecting my LCD screen samsung 226BW and also this one show a blue screen when OSD is sent from the reciever.

Instead of HDMI I tried connecting s-video, komposit and also component-video. Changed the TV to input for the different connections accordingly. None of the connections gives me any OSD on my pioneer plasma. Is there any other tests I can do before I go totally mad over this and have to send it back.

Other then this it works great but as I can not get the OSD to work I can not make any settings what so ever... Also read that they working on new firmware for this reciever? Can this solve the problems you think? Anyone that have heard anyone else having this problem? You think the reciever is broken?

Thank you for any help!

Edit: Somebody said something about problems connecting PS3 to the RSX-1058 and pass on to the LCD/Plasma. Can anyone confirm if this is a problem or not?

/Ola
post #297 of 1294 Old 10-27-2007, 05:42 AM

Can anyone tell me (maybe by PM) of a dealer in the US, UK, Germany or wherever that would ship a 1058 internationally ? The local distributor here in Hong Kong does not cary this model...
Thanks.
post #298 of 1294 Old 10-27-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if the new Rotel can post process or at least do bass management for a generic PCM multichannel feed via HDMI from a DVD-Audio/SACD player so as to get 7.1.

I know it has been confirmed that it wont post process flagged PCM feed from decoded True HD and DTS HD etc.
post #299 of 1294 Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 AM

Olasal, try taking the batteries out of the remote if it is unable to operate.

I'm demoing a rsx-1057 this weekend and couldn't get the osd or any other functions to work until resetting the remote.
post #300 of 1294 Old 10-31-2007, 05:41 AM

Yagimax,

thanks but is has nothing to do with the remote. The remote works just fine and its actually teling the reciever to send the osd. The problem is that the osd signal seems corrupted. I get a bluescreen on TV so there is a signal but its not being displayed correctly. The TV also recognize the signal as a 480p signal when I press the osd button. I will go to the bottom of this during this weekend together with the manufacturer agent here. Anyway the pioneer TV should have no problem showing the osd as they tested this with another RSX-1058 reciver already.

I will report back once I visited the agent this weekend.

/Ola
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Rotel , Rotel Rsx 1562 , Rotel Rsx 1550 Home Theater Receiver , Rotel Rsp 976 Surround Sound Preamplifier Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page