Rotel Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1294 Old 06-25-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So how are those HDMI 1.3 Rotel receivers coming along? Or do we have to wait til 2020?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1294 Old 06-25-2008, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post

So how are those HDMI 1.3 Rotel receivers coming along? Or do we have to wait til 2020?

They gave me the all so famous song-and-dance story. "Until the standards are well established we will not be introducing a new one". Of course they cannot afford to buy and test like the big boys because they are a specialty house. Then I realized that processors are changing every year with new technology. So I might as well buy a cheap processor, like integra or yamaha or whatever that I can get rid of later and pair that with an expensive amplifier (Rotel, McIntosh, etc.) and good set of speakers! IMO
post #453 of 1294 Old 06-26-2008, 10:41 AM

Liked: 10
I am looking for a service manual for a Rotel RCD-971 Cd Player. Can anyone send me one or point me in the right web direction. Free preferable.

Thanks,

Mitch
post #454 of 1294 Old 06-27-2008, 12:00 AM

Hi all...

Back around 1997 I bought a complete low-end Rotel stack (tuner, power amp, cd player, cassette deck). Cost me around $2000 or so back then.

Now I'm more into home theater, tho' simple and compact (I built an HTPC and have an Integra integrated amp to pipe it through, and 2 smallish speakers).

I'm wondering, has technology progressed so much beyond where it was in 1997 that I might as well get rid of the old components, or should I hold onto them for some future time when I have more space? Is it worth it to keep old equipment like that?

- Tim
post #455 of 1294 Old 06-27-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If one all cares about if MPCM through HDMI, how does the latest Rotel prepro perform?
post #456 of 1294 Old 06-30-2008, 03:32 AM

I posted this question as a separate thread before coming across this thread so here it goes again:

I have just bought a set of 800 speakers for my home theater/music system together with a Marantz 7002 receiver (the back channels are KHT2005s). The system needs a bit more oomph and since I have no previous experience with separates, I would really appreciate your input on this, the options are:

1) RMB-1066 bridged to provide 150 PWC to the front three (the two 804s plus HTM4, the 805s being driven by the Marantz)

2) RMB-1075 driving the five B&Ws, the Marantz driving the KEFs

or maybe using one RMB-1075 plus one 1066 (bridged) to biamp the front three channels.

Your help will be much appreciated.
post #457 of 1294 Old 07-01-2008, 06:12 AM

mahdlokg has kindly pointed out a bridged 1066 would have serious issues with the impedance of the 800 series, so it's down to the 1075. Would any of you who are running this baby please shed some light on:

a) Would the 1075 provide enough power for the 804s and the HTM4/how much of an improvement is the 120 WPC from the 1075 compared to the claimed 110 W from the Marantz receiver?

b) Would it be better to let the Rotel run the 5 B&Ws and the Marantz just the back channels or would the overall balance be better with the load being shared more evenly by letting the Marantz run the back 4 and Rotel the front 3?

A few posters here (petergaryr, Lreid65, TTEQ, wb2fcr) have B&W/Rotel combos, can any of you guys help?
post #458 of 1294 Old 07-01-2008, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliK View Post

mahdlokg has kindly pointed out a bridged 1066 would have serious issues with the impedance of the 800 series, so it's down to the 1075. Would any of you who are running this baby please shed some light on:

a) Would the 1075 provide enough power for the 804s and the HTM4/how much of an improvement is the 120 WPC from the 1075 compared to the claimed 110 W from the Marantz receiver?

b) Would it be better to let the Rotel run the 5 B&Ws and the Marantz just the back channels or would the overall balance be better with the load being shared more evenly by letting the Marantz run the back 4 and Rotel the front 3?

A few posters here (petergaryr, Lreid65, TTEQ, wb2fcr) have B&W/Rotel combos, can any of you guys help?

How large is your room, how far do you sit from your speakers, how loud do you like to listen, and what kind of music do you listen to?

I own the 804s and a rotel setup and I have never felt that the 804s were a difficult speaker to drive. Have you noticed any clipping of your Marantz receiver when driving all 7 speakers? Have you noticed any bass compression at high listening volumes?

If you owned 802d, then I would definitely advise looking at more beefy amplification, however, the 804s is not very difficult to drive.

In a smaller 11x13x8 room, a 40 watt/chan. Cambridge Audio Azur 540A had no problem driving the 804s at levels with average 75dB and peak 93dB for pipe organ music with very heavy 20-40hz bass.

If you end up going with the 1075, I'd just send the 5 channels to it. with the rears going to the Marantz.
post #459 of 1294 Old 07-01-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

How large is your room, how far do you sit from your speakers, how loud do you like to listen, and what kind of music do you listen to?

I own the 804s and a rotel setup and I have never felt that the 804s were a difficult speaker to drive. Have you noticed any clipping of your Marantz receiver when driving all 7 speakers? Have you noticed any bass compression at high listening volumes?

If you owned 802d, then I would definitely advise looking at more beefy amplification, however, the 804s is not very difficult to drive.

In a smaller 11x13x8 room, a 40 watt/chan. Cambridge Audio Azur 540A had no problem driving the 804s at levels with average 75dB and peak 93dB for pipe organ music with very heavy 20-40hz bass.

If you end up going with the 1075, I'd just send the 5 channels to it. with the rears going to the Marantz.

The system is installed in the family room which opens at the back into the dining room and kitchen, total area is around 1000 SQF. To be honest I haven't noticed any clipping/compression but then again I haven't driven them to a high volume yet as I have been running them in.

I can get the 1075 for 600 bucks, it just seems a decent investment if it can help me get better sound out of the speakers.
post #460 of 1294 Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliK View Post

The system is installed in the family room which opens at the back into the dining room and kitchen, total area is around 1000 SQF. To be honest I haven't noticed any clipping/compression but then again I haven't driven them to a high volume yet as I have been running them in.

I can get the 1075 for 600 bucks, it just seems a decent investment if it can help me get better sound out of the speakers.

That's a pretty good price if it is brand new. I'd pick it up at that price just because

I cannot say it will be an improvement in sound quality, but I doubt it give any worse sound quality. You do have a largish area and depending on your listening habits, it could render the purchase moot or critical.
post #461 of 1294 Old 07-02-2008, 01:45 PM

Phoned Rotel Tech Support. The guy suggested that the 1075 would be powerful enough, also said that I'd be wasting the amps on the Marantz AVR and might as well leave it alone

Th eprice makes it seriously tempting, i'd have to spend 3 times that to step up to th 1095
post #462 of 1294 Old 07-04-2008, 09:54 AM

If you're listening to alot of 2 channel, you could use a Rotel RB-1080 to drive the fronts and have the Marantz run the rest of the speakers. The B&W 804's would like the extra headroom.
post #463 of 1294 Old 07-23-2008, 12:42 PM

Just hopping in here... I've had an RA-932 since they were "new" I think in 2000 or 2001. Still a fantastic amp that is working very well. Because I need a bit "more" now, it is going back in storage and I'm picking up an RSX-1058 from a local shop. The 1058 is very much overkill for what I need, but the price is right and it will do the job very well. I can only hope that the 1058 has the sound quality, build quality, and rock solid reliability I've come to enjoy from my little 932.

tbessie: I'd recommend holding on to your current stuff if it's all still working. Put it in storage for later if you can. I've got a few friends who are still kicking themselves for selling off their old rotel "stacks" for cheap... I'm planning on keeping my old setup so when I do have the space and need for something in another room, I can use it.
post #464 of 1294 Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 PM

I am trying to decide about Rotel 1075 hooking with Pioneer Elite VSX 54TX Receiver. Will it be ok or create any issue? Also, I am still considering Sunfire TGA5200. Will Sunfire be much better than 1075 or overall not so good?
post #465 of 1294 Old 08-11-2008, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Rotel RSX-1067 is on my short list of receivers (my 14 year old Technics is ready for retirement), and I'm wondering about a couple of things that I can't find in the owner's manual.

1) Is it possible to use the back channels to bi-amp the front L/R in a 5.1 system (if so, is there a setting to set)?

B) Is the firmware user-upgradeable?

Thanx in advance.

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now... only much, much better." - Laurie Anderson
post #466 of 1294 Old 08-11-2008, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PS:

iii) Are there any issues that needed firmware upgrades and what is the latest version?

4) How can you find the version # of the firmware in the receiver?

Thanx again.

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now... only much, much better." - Laurie Anderson
post #467 of 1294 Old 08-15-2008, 01:03 PM

Rotel 1098 DD problem:

Must of had a power blimp (1098 Connected to rotel surge protector)all my settings are gone so I went through and set it up the way it was. For some reason Now I dont get Dolby digital 5.1 everything is in prologic according to the display and in analog through coax and optical. I know for sure I am sending a 5.1 DDsignal to the Rotel by coax and optical but it still says analog when I hit the menu button then If I press the left knob to the input it shows that its getting the signal through the coax but yet its sending it in pro logic.

Am I missing something. Could it be that the rotel 1098 processor is screwed up When I get home from work tonight I will unplug for a while and see if that helps.

Has this happened to any of you?
any suggestions
Thanks
Confused Rob
post #468 of 1294 Old 08-15-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Chainsaw View Post

The Rotel RSX-1067 is on my short list of receivers (my 14 year old Technics is ready for retirement), and I'm wondering about a couple of things that I can't find in the owner's manual.

1) Is it possible to use the back channels to bi-amp the front L/R in a 5.1 system (if so, is there a setting to set)?

B) Is the firmware user-upgradeable?

Thanx in advance.

No option to bi-amp. You can use the extra channels for a 2nd room though. I don't know how useful that is. Not at all to me.

I believe the firmware is upgradeable.
post #469 of 1294 Old 08-23-2008, 09:40 AM

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with something. My father, who lives in north Houston (The Woodlands, if you know the area) owns a Rotel RX-1050 receiver. It was working beautifully until it suddenly stopped working altogether. It still turns on, but appears to be starting up for just a couple of seconds and then shuts itself off.

He took it into the dealer (was Home Entertainment Center, now Modia) and was basically brushed off. Do any of you know:

1) what might be wrong; and

2) where in north Houston (or, alternatively, downtown Houston) he might be able to get a quality repair? He'd prefer to have it repaired locally, but wants someplace that can get factory parts if needed.

Any advice would be appreciated. If he were in or around Chicago (where I am) I could suggest some places to go, but I know virtually nothing about the audio scene in Houston. Many thanks.
post #470 of 1294 Old 08-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

I live in Houston, and can tell you from personal experience, that I have not found anyone I trust with electronics in Houston. I went so far as to take a piece of equipment to Bjorn's in San Antonio, a while back, with great results. As far as Rotel, which I have owned, I would recommend one of two things: Contact Rotel directly and have them repair it. The second choice ( and least desirable) would be to ask them who to use in the area. I have been through that with them before, and sent my RSX-1065 directly to Rotel, again with excelent results. It is worth wrapping it up well and shipping it to Rotel. Check your P.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izimbra View Post

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with something. My father, who lives in north Houston (The Woodlands, if you know the area) owns a Rotel RX-1050 receiver. It was working beautifully until it suddenly stopped working altogether. It still turns on, but appears to be starting up for just a couple of seconds and then shuts itself off.

He took it into the dealer (was Home Entertainment Center, now Modia) and was basically brushed off. Do any of you know:

1) what might be wrong; and

2) where in north Houston (or, alternatively, downtown Houston) he might be able to get a quality repair? He'd prefer to have it repaired locally, but wants someplace that can get factory parts if needed.

Any advice would be appreciated. If he were in or around Chicago (where I am) I could suggest some places to go, but I know virtually nothing about the audio scene in Houston. Many thanks.

post #471 of 1294 Old 08-23-2008, 10:46 AM

Thanks, mahdlokg. I was afraid that would be the answer, but I'm at least glad to hear that you had good results sending it directly to Rotel. I'll suggest to my father that he give them a call and find out what would be involved.

I don't see a P.M. from you. If you sent something, would you try again? Again, thanks for the help.
post #472 of 1294 Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the Rotel family and bought a used RSX-1055 receiver which had just been serviced by an authorized Rotel dealer. I'm very happy with this receiver and it is driving my HT setup with Focals in the fronts, centre, and surrounds. I am a bit confused about using this receiver for a 7.1 setup. In the manual it mentions that the Zone outputs can be used for this. Can someone please guide me as to how this can be accomplished?? I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
M
post #473 of 1294 Old 08-26-2008, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

You need another 2 ch amp for 7.1. Your receiver only has 5 channels but can be used as a 7.1 with an external amplifier.
post #474 of 1294 Old 08-26-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

You need another 2 ch amp for 7.1. Your receiver only has 5 channels but can be used as a 7.1 with an external amplifier.

Thanks Tommy!

So if I understand correctly, I will need to take the zone outputs from the amp into the inputs on the external amp. Is that correct or do I use the pre-outs for CB1 and CB2 on the receiver?

Thanks again.
post #475 of 1294 Old 08-26-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoomdhoom View Post

Thanks Tommy!

So if I understand correctly, I will need to take the zone outputs from the amp into the inputs on the external amp. Is that correct or do I use the pre-outs for CB1 and CB2 on the receiver?

Thanks again.

Actually, I believe you should be using the jacks labeled CB1 and CB2 (stands for center back) in the PRE OUT section if I remember correctly. Next to where your subwoofer out is. My system is 5.1 so I have never actually done it myself.
post #476 of 1294 Old 08-26-2008, 11:29 AM

Thanks again! I'll try it out. Regards.
post #477 of 1294 Old 08-26-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlgold88 View Post

Rotel 1098 DD problem:

Must of had a power blimp (1098 Connected to rotel surge protector)all my settings are gone so I went through and set it up the way it was. For some reason Now I dont get Dolby digital 5.1 everything is in prologic according to the display and in analog through coax and optical. I know for sure I am sending a 5.1 DDsignal to the Rotel by coax and optical but it still says analog when I hit the menu button then If I press the left knob to the input it shows that its getting the signal through the coax but yet its sending it in pro logic.

Am I missing something. Could it be that the rotel 1098 processor is screwed up When I get home from work tonight I will unplug for a while and see if that helps.

Has this happened to any of you?
any suggestions
Thanks
Confused Rob

I did not have the exact same thing happen, but lots of weirdness after a power blip. I finally refreshed the firmware and the unit worked perfectly. Kind of like a computer, it periodically needs a reboot or reinstall. Irritating, but that's today's electronics. Give it a shot.
post #478 of 1294 Old 08-27-2008, 02:54 PM

I unplugged while at work and when I returned and plugged in after setup all was perfect. DD5.1 is working properlly now .
post #479 of 1294 Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 PM

Ladies and gents!

Have you seen the new 15 Series rotel components! Engadgethd.com just posted them today (with MSRP's). Evidently the "multinational company has chosen September's 2008 CEDIA Expo, in Denver, CO, to debut an all new product range".
post #480 of 1294 Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Rotel , Rotel Rsx 1562 , Rotel Rsx 1550 Home Theater Receiver , Rotel Rsp 976 Surround Sound Preamplifier Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page